September or October?

Jerusalem Gal

DIS Veteran
Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping to visit my happy place again this year!
I was thinking of October because I was there at that time a couple of years ago and it was fantastic! Not one drop of rain, F&W, good prices, free dining... We had a great week.
Now I'm thinking maybe September would be a good option too.

How does it compare to October in terms of:
Weather? (I hate rain!)
F&W? (I think it's already open in September, right?)
Package prices?
I saw there's free dining in September but not October, right?
Is WDW already decorated for Halloween or not yet?
Crowd levels?

Thank you so much! :-)

We have never done Spetember but go almost yearly in October. The weather is usually warm into late October...I have come across a couple of cool breezy days that required a light jacket. Decorations should be up in September because of the MNSSHP. Yes F&W is in both months. Can check EasyWDW,com for crowd levels.

I haven't experienced it first hand yet, but I've always heard that September is the best for low crowds. There is free dining the whole month of September, but you may need to act fast to secure your reservations. I've also heard that the weather is not much different than July/August, so very hot, and there always a chance for hurricanes. But that may also be the case in October.
We're taking our first trip in a long time this September and we chose that month based on everything we read about it being the lowest crowds of the year. The Halloween party dates are posted by Disney and there are a lot in Sept. So, yes, the decorations should be out early in Sept.
Anyway, probably not much help there but I'm sure you'll have a great time with whatever month you choose!

We have never done Spetember but go almost yearly in October. The weather is usually warm into late October...I have come across a couple of cool breezy days that required a light jacket. Decorations should be up in September because of the MNSSHP. Yes F&W is in both months. Can check EasyWDW,com for crowd levels.
I don't mind a light jacket. My problem is rain :)
Thank you so much!

I haven't experienced it first hand yet, but I've always heard that September is the best for low crowds. There is free dining the whole month of September, but you may need to act fast to secure your reservations. I've also heard that the weather is not much different than July/August, so very hot, and there always a chance for hurricanes. But that may also be the case in October.
We're taking our first trip in a long time this September and we chose that month based on everything we read about it being the lowest crowds of the year. The Halloween party dates are posted by Disney and there are a lot in Sept. So, yes, the decorations should be out early in Sept.
Anyway, probably not much help there but I'm sure you'll have a great time with whatever month you choose!
Wow, as hot as August? o_O Sounds hot! (But I'll take heat rather than cold or rain any day!)
Thank you for your input!

Do not remember rain in October, May, yes...October, no. Living on the Gulf Coast, October doesn't have the same risk of hurricanes as August and September. That is why we pick late October for our trips and early May.

Do not remember rain in October, May, yes...October, no. Living on the Gulf Coast, October doesn't have the same risk of hurricanes as August and September. That is why we pick late October for our trips and early May.
Too late for May :D But October sounds good. I was thinking September because we have lots of holidays here in October and also the free dining and other promotions are in September this year :confused3

October is my choice if I am going for F&W. I like the weather, it is less "warm" then September IMO. It can be more crowded, especiall in the MK on non party nights, and in Epcot, btu so nice. To me, it feels more like Fall, and so the decorations make more sense to me.

October is my choice if I am going for F&W. I like the weather, it is less "warm" then September IMO. It can be more crowded, especiall in the MK on non party nights, and in Epcot, btu so nice. To me, it feels more like Fall, and so the decorations make more sense to me.
Thanks, I think I'd prefer October in terms of weather, but the deals are better in September. Tough choice :-)

A birthday trip is the best!!! :D

Yes, and so far we have had one for my DH, my DGD and my DSIL. My Daughter is celebrating her birthday trip this July, a trip she never thought that they would make given that her DH melts in teh summer months! I went in October but it eally is nto the same as having your "party" on your special day.

Yes, and so far we have had one for my DH, my DGD and my DSIL. My Daughter is celebrating her birthday trip this July, a trip she never thought that they would make given that her DH melts in teh summer months! I went in October but it eally is nto the same as having your "party" on your special day.
Right, it's not the same. You gotta find time to go in September and wear the pin and everything! :)

We have been to WDW in both the third week of September and the third week of October. The weather in September was hot, humid and rainy. The weather during October was beautiful, usually in the 80's with very little rain. If you want better weather then choose October. But October has gotten very popular so there are a lot less discounts available for that month then there are for September.

Between the two September and October, have only been in October and the weather has been great!!! Just wanted to add if you think you might want to be there for F&W - check the dates. Might start last weekend of September and I hear/read the crowds are insane. So, because of this - 1) not sure if you will get the same offer/discounts/deals and 2) I would not waste time booking if you plan on going this year.

Have fun & happy planning!!!!

We have been to WDW in both the third week of September and the third week of October. The weather in September was hot, humid and rainy. The weather during October was beautiful, usually in the 80's with very little rain. If you want better weather then choose October. But October has gotten very popular so there are a lot less discounts available for that month then there are for September.
Shoot! That's not what I wanted to hear! :crazy2:
I want good weather AND discounts! :P Thanks for your input!

Between the two September and October, have only been in October and the weather has been great!!! Just wanted to add if you think you might want to be there for F&W - check the dates. Might start last weekend of September and I hear/read the crowds are insane. So, because of this - 1) not sure if you will get the same offer/discounts/deals and 2) I would not waste time booking if you plan on going this year.

Have fun & happy planning!!!!
Thanks Anna :-) I've never been in September either. I'm just eyeing the promotions and they're calling to me... Don't know what to do! I also can't really book yet since I don't know if I'll be going with a friend or going solo (or going at all!)
What about November? :scratchin

I was in the world once in November many years ago. Weather very nice too> We had pool days. Evenings can get chilly - it really depends in Florida. We have also done in December and January. Warm/hot enough for me to sit by the pool in bathing suit but water not hot enough for me to swim in.

Weather wise - great - if you can find sporadic dates with offers, go for it. Also a busy month - F&W - Thanksgiving/Christmas Decorations up. Can't you book wether or not you are going with friends? Cancel if plans change? I just booked my son and dil for a few nights mid December. If they can't make it - and should know by early November - then I will cancel their reservation.

I was in the world once in November many years ago. Weather very nice too> We had pool days. Evenings can get chilly - it really depends in Florida. We have also done in December and January. Warm/hot enough for me to sit by the pool in bathing suit but water not hot enough for me to swim in.

Weather wise - great - if you can find sporadic dates with offers, go for it. Also a busy month - F&W - Thanksgiving/Christmas Decorations up. Can't you book wether or not you are going with friends? Cancel if plans change? I just booked my son and dil for a few nights mid December. If they can't make it - and should know by early November - then I will cancel their reservation.
Hmm... I see that F&W will be running September 14 to November 14 so I might make it at either end.
I guess I could book and change the reservations later. It would be only one room either way- either by myself or with someone joining me. But I'd be hesitant to book and then cancel completely. Don't they charge for that?

Look into the cancellation policy. We are DVC members - very rarely I book us a night through CRO (cash). I also forgot they are starting F&W earlier this year. (Usually end of Sept).

If your friends can't go - would you consider going solo? So many people do it. I finally convinced a friend a few years ago (late 50s Single/divorced/mom). She was always waiting to see if her brother, daughter or a friend could vacation with her. I told her how Disney is the best place to do solo (especially for any vacation first time solo). She goes all over the world now by herself. I sort of experienced a solo trip myself in Disney. A few years ago, I went with my daughter and her friend. Yes, we flew together, stayed in the same room but they went on their own the majority of the time. We had one breakfast and one dinner together the whole trip. I did not purchase park tickets this trip. My dd originally could not get a friend to go and last minute someone came (she was young too). The hardest thing I had to overcome was to eat meals alone. I was good after a few meals. Give it a shot if your friends can't go!!

The best month to visit WDW for most people might be October, IMO. The weather is really nice. MNSSHP is fun!

The deals are better in Sept but it is too hot ( and can be raining more, IIRC) then to be as enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter