September or October?

September is still miserably hot and much more likely to get rained out due to hurricane season. Even if it's not a true hurricane, we often get tropical fronts during that month. However, the crowds are low, so if you are willing to gamble it can be worth it. October is usually less rainy and still hot enough to enjoy the pools but less muggy and stifling.

October is increasingly busy, so be sure to plan for that. If you've gone in busier seasons before, it's not an issue, but it is by no means an "off-season" any more.

I love October, but you may want to steer clear Oct.7th thru the 15th. There are two Jewish holidays plus Columbus day during that time. Lots of North Easterners will be heading to WDW because the kids have those days off from school. I'm a TA and everyone is calling about mid October.

Look into the cancellation policy. We are DVC members - very rarely I book us a night through CRO (cash). I also forgot they are starting F&W earlier this year. (Usually end of Sept).

If your friends can't go - would you consider going solo? So many people do it. I finally convinced a friend a few years ago (late 50s Single/divorced/mom). She was always waiting to see if her brother, daughter or a friend could vacation with her. I told her how Disney is the best place to do solo (especially for any vacation first time solo). She goes all over the world now by herself. I sort of experienced a solo trip myself in Disney. A few years ago, I went with my daughter and her friend. Yes, we flew together, stayed in the same room but they went on their own the majority of the time. We had one breakfast and one dinner together the whole trip. I did not purchase park tickets this trip. My dd originally could not get a friend to go and last minute someone came (she was young too). The hardest thing I had to overcome was to eat meals alone. I was good after a few meals. Give it a shot if your friends can't go!!
Thank you so much for this, Anna. I've been trying to work up the courage to go solo for a while now. For my last trip in January I was considering it but chickened out. And I was so desperate to go I ended up taking my younger sister and paying for both of us just so I wouldn't have to go alone! (We're talking international flights, DDP- the works.) If I had the $$ I wouldn't mind doing that every year, each time taking someone else with me. But alas I'm just a measly employee, trying to get by.
Maybe, just maybe, I'll have the courage to do it this time.

The best month to visit WDW for most people might be October, IMO. The weather is really nice. MNSSHP is fun!

The deals are better in Sept but it is too hot ( and can be raining more, IIRC) then to be as enjoyable.
I'm suddenly considering November. How is that compared to October? (It's also my birthday month!)

September is still miserably hot and much more likely to get rained out due to hurricane season. Even if it's not a true hurricane, we often get tropical fronts during that month. However, the crowds are low, so if you are willing to gamble it can be worth it. October is usually less rainy and still hot enough to enjoy the pools but less muggy and stifling.
Blech! I don't like rain :guilty:

October is increasingly busy, so be sure to plan for that. If you've gone in busier seasons before, it's not an issue, but it is by no means an "off-season" any more.
I don't really mind crowds or waiting in line. (I rarely ever book any FPs and prefer to be spontaneous and just wait.) Doesn't sound too bad. I just would have liked to get some sort of discount. I saw the package discounts are available in November so I'm considering that too.

I love October, but you may want to steer clear Oct.7th thru the 15th. There are two Jewish holidays plus Columbus day during that time. Lots of North Easterners will be heading to WDW because the kids have those days off from school. I'm a TA and everyone is calling about mid October.
Thanks, I know the High Holidays fall in October this year :-) I was actually even thinking of going during the week of Sukkot because it will be easier to get off work. But I didn't think about the fact that all the other Jews might be going at the same time! :laughing: Thank you!

I have gone in July, August, September, and October. By far my favorite time was October. The crowds were quite less, I was able to pretty much able to get on any ride in 20 minutes or less. We did not get free dining but that was not the end of the world for us. Also the weather was perfect. No rain when we were there and warm enough that you did not need a jacket or long pants but not hot in the middle of the day.

We went last October and loved it. However, it was not typical, weather-wise. They had a very hot fall last year, and when we were there, it might as well have been July. The days were in the 90's. We never had to so much as put a windbreaker on. Even the nights were very warm.

All-in-all, though, I think October is a great time to visit, particularly if you've never seen the Halloween party.

I've been in both Sept & Oct (end of Sept & end of Oct).......by far, Oct is my fave month. The weather is GORGEOUS!! Its not as scorching hot as September, and it doesnt rain as much either. Sept its crazy hot and rains quite a bit!!! Although keep in mind the plus side to Sept is that there are lower crowds and free dining. Its a tough call! Personally, i'd choose better weather over FD any day.

We did OCT/NOV - and it was awesome - getting to do both Halloween/Fall things as well as Christmas Decorations up like magic!!

I have gone in July, August, September, and October. By far my favorite time was October. The crowds were quite less, I was able to pretty much able to get on any ride in 20 minutes or less. We did not get free dining but that was not the end of the world for us. Also the weather was perfect. No rain when we were there and warm enough that you did not need a jacket or long pants but not hot in the middle of the day.
One more vote for October :) This is going to be a tough decision!

We went last October and loved it. However, it was not typical, weather-wise. They had a very hot fall last year, and when we were there, it might as well have been July. The days were in the 90's. We never had to so much as put a windbreaker on. Even the nights were very warm.
All-in-all, though, I think October is a great time to visit, particularly if you've never seen the Halloween party.
I've never seen the Halloween party but I have to admit I wasn't planning to either. At least not on this trip :D Do you get to actually meet the villains at the party or only see them from afar?

I've been in both Sept & Oct (end of Sept & end of Oct).......by far, Oct is my fave month. The weather is GORGEOUS!! Its not as scorching hot as September, and it doesnt rain as much either. Sept its crazy hot and rains quite a bit!!! Although keep in mind the plus side to Sept is that there are lower crowds and free dining. Its a tough call! Personally, i'd choose better weather over FD any day.
Thanks. I guess that's it for September then. I can't stand walking the parks in the rain! :(

We did OCT/NOV - and it was awesome - getting to do both Halloween/Fall things as well as Christmas Decorations up like magic!!
I wanted to do that last time but ended up going mid-January when there were no decorations up at all! Do you know when exactly they switch from Halloween to Christmas decorations? I'd love to do that!

September is hot and rainy! October is warm, but usually drier.
Thanks- I'll take heat over rain any day!

I wanted to do that last time but ended up going mid-January when there were no decorations up at all! Do you know when exactly they switch from Halloween to Christmas decorations? I'd love to do that!

Last year the final Halloween Party was Nov 1 and the Christmas Decorations were up on the 4th of NOvember

Thanks- I'll take heat over rain any day!

They start turning over the MK decorations right after the last Halloween party. We left on November 2 and the castle lighting was about two days later. But most of the decorations at the hotels won't be up until mid November

We have done October twice and liked that time of year, we didn't experience big rain (or any rain that I can remember) either time. October is still a little too warm for my liking but this is a month where my son's school had a Thursday-Friday break so we only had to take him out of school for three days. We prefer November-December (not over the holidays) because it is cooler, and now that our son is 23 we don't have to go any earlier. But if it were a choice of going in October vs. an earlier month I would always choose October. I should include that we have never done a September WDW vacation so I can't compare the two.

I've never seen the Halloween party but I have to admit I wasn't planning to either. At least not on this trip :D Do you get to actually meet the villains at the party or only see them from afar?
Yes, you get to meet a number of the villains. And, unlike the normal meet and greets these days where they're inside a building and you need a FastPass to avoid a 3 hour wait, the villains who are doing meet and greets are just out in the park. Several of our children met Jafar, for example, and didn't wait more than probably 10 minutes to do so.

We went last year in September, and yes, it felt like July. Just pack for the heat, and maybe bring a neutral cover light jacket (that you won't probably use, but better safe than sorry!)

Do not remember rain in October, May, yes...October, no. Living on the Gulf Coast, October doesn't have the same risk of hurricanes as August and September. That is why we pick late October for our trips and early May.
Hurricane season is still active in October. However, it's less common than the summer months for hurricanes and tropical storms...it can happen though...2005 was a CRAZY year.

Pick whichever month fits you best :) If you are a fan of warm/hot weather than stick with September or early October...mid/late October can be warm or cool in Orlando.

I'm a former SoFla gal, so heat doesn't bother me, but Orlando winters were too cold, and I would never visit during that time...I rarely went north of Jupiter past Halloween. But now I live in Cincinnati, and an Orlando winter no longer seems so "cold"lol

Last year the final Halloween Party was Nov 1 and the Christmas Decorations were up on the 4th of NOvember
Thank you!

They start turning over the MK decorations right after the last Halloween party. We left on November 2 and the castle lighting was about two days later. But most of the decorations at the hotels won't be up until mid November
Thanks!

We have done October twice and liked that time of year, we didn't experience big rain (or any rain that I can remember) either time. October is still a little too warm for my liking but this is a month where my son's school had a Thursday-Friday break so we only had to take him out of school for three days. We prefer November-December (not over the holidays) because it is cooler, and now that our son is 23 we don't have to go any earlier. But if it were a choice of going in October vs. an earlier month I would always choose October. I should include that we have never done a September WDW vacation so I can't compare the two.
Yeah, October sounds perfect. Thank you!

Yes, you get to meet a number of the villains. And, unlike the normal meet and greets these days where they're inside a building and you need a FastPass to avoid a 3 hour wait, the villains who are doing meet and greets are just out in the park. Several of our children met Jafar, for example, and didn't wait more than probably 10 minutes to do so.
Cool! Good to know, thanks!

We went last year in September, and yes, it felt like July. Just pack for the heat, and maybe bring a neutral cover light jacket (that you won't probably use, but better safe than sorry!)
Thank you- I think September might be out of the picture with the heat and the rain :( :crazy2: :scared:

Hurricane season is still active in October. However, it's less common than the summer months for hurricanes and tropical storms...it can happen though...2005 was a CRAZY year.

Pick whichever month fits you best :) If you are a fan of warm/hot weather than stick with September or early October...mid/late October can be warm or cool in Orlando.

I'm a former SoFla gal, so heat doesn't bother me, but Orlando winters were too cold, and I would never visit during that time...I rarely went north of Jupiter past Halloween. But now I live in Cincinnati, and an Orlando winter no longer seems so "cold"lol
Thanks. It gets pretty cold where I live so Orlando shouldn't be bad, but I think this past January I just wasn't really expecting it. Too cold for my taste!
October-November now sound like a good option :-)

IF you are there ON Halloween - the resorts to special events - each resort has special characters that will come out and meet - we stayed at POP last yer and it was Sailor Mickey and Minnie - The CM will take pictures for you since there is no photopass photographer

Yes.... this! Believe me, we were there for the holidays and Columbus Day one year (and President's Day.... you would think we would learn) and the parks were PACKED with out of school folks and an entire Cheerleading competition (February). Sometimes, it's worth it to pull your kids out of school.

Check those holidays - especially the Jewish ones. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter