Selling a house is so frustrating. No one gives feedback!

I was thinking about this thread. Not sure I care for any feedback from potential sellers. I want offers, and I'm not doing anything not required by law that a potential buyer might like.
With my parents house, the issue we had was the bizarre offers we got. One offered above asking prices, but refused to show any proof they had the money. One was from a "partnership" with each half providing half the money, but the second partner was "to be named later".
The offer I took was $25,000 under asking, buying paying all closing costs, no inspections.
Feedback can help a seller know what to improve to help sell the house. Actually, it takes some guts to want feedback.

I've bought several homes over the years and don't think I have ever shared any feedback with my realtor to then take back to the sellers. Most of the time the houses just weren't what I was looking for, no real feedback other than that.

The listing agent will often call the buyer's agent a day or so after viewing. Buyer's agent will give their general impressions (like...shows pretty well, but living room does have pet odor or...my client really needs a 4th bedroom) and any other quick thoughts.

I always ask my realtor to share feedback with me. If I can reasonably fix, move or paint something I usually will. Selling the home faster is the goal.

I wouldn't worry about feedback from potential buyers. I'm not changing anything based on what one person said. At this point, I think a different agent would serve you much better.

I wouldn't worry about feedback from potential buyers. I'm not changing anything based on what one person said. At this point, I think a different agent would serve you much better.
What if several potential buyers brought up the same things?

I am going to disagree with the theory that the agent isn't motivated because he wants to keep managing the rental property. Realtors tend to be really good at math. The sales commission is likely much more than the monthly property management fee.

For example. I have a house that would sell today for $400,000 6% commission is $24,000. Split with a buyers agent = $12K

Mothy property management fee is currently $225 (9% of $2500/mo. ). It will take him 4.4 years to make up not getting the $12K commission. Who knows if you will still have the house in four and a half years or have him as the manager.

I don't think he is working against your interest. I just think that the house is either priced wrong or you just haven't found someone who wants it enough.

The current tenant lives a goth lifestyle. She moved a lot of the stuff that would scare people out, but there a still a few items left. They show in the professional pictures, so people know what they are going to see. The lease is up at the end of the month. I’m hoping the stuff that could scare people gets moved out early since they have closed on their own place. Luckily they have kept the place immaculate.

If it doesn’t sell or rent by the end of the month, I will drop the price 5K. I will leave rent where it is, because that is lower than what the same model is renting for. I’m tempted to make the emotional decision to drop the price NOW, but I just dropped it 2 weeks ago.

Daughter just visited two houses today. Told HER agent what she didn't like. No idea if that information gets back to the seller.

As a buyer, I’m looking to help myself. I’m not going to spend time dissecting why a place isn’t right for me. It’s not worth my time/energy to help a stranger make money. Especially since my needs/wants are personal and many sellers would get defensive.

The current tenant lives a goth lifestyle. She moved a lot of the stuff that would scare people out, but there a still a few items left. They show in the professional pictures, so people know what they are going to see. The lease is up at the end of the month. I’m hoping the stuff that could scare people gets moved out early since they have closed on their own place. Luckily they have kept the place immaculate.

If it doesn’t sell or rent by the end of the month, I will drop the price 5K. I will leave rent where it is, because that is lower than what the same model is renting for. I’m tempted to make the emotional decision to drop the price NOW, but I just dropped it 2 weeks ago.

Maybe it is the goth stuff? Honestly, when I have bought a house part of it is the "vibe" and feel you get from the house. We are picky and believe me, plenty did not have that "feel". Sometimes it wasn't one specific thing. I have no idea if feedback made it back to the seller

We looked at every house on the market in our desired area and price range. Even if we weren’t interested in the specific house based on the online listing.

Why? Because houses can surprise you, the online listings don’t always capture the layout or condition well (in both directions, I’ve seen lovely houses with awful pictures and great pictures that were very ...strategic...in making a house looks better than it was). Plus, we wanted to get a sense of what different price points got you and trade offs - size vs remodeled, exterior vs interior features. So it wouldn’t always be useful for our feedback to get back to every seller and many/most of those homes we suspected wouldn’t be a good fit.

Last edited:
Best RE advice we ever got was to price right from the start.
I admit we didn't love hearing that back then though.

Thankfully we were smart enough to realize what had been a red hot market was beginning to turn, and turn quickly.
We researched comps carefully, then priced 5% under what we felt current market value was, which was about 12% under a house with the same floor plan for sale just up the street. We had an offer within days of hitting market and closed 45 days later. The house up the street eventually sold for just $500 more than we did, but it took them 3 months and several incremental price drops to get there. We definitely came out ahead, particularly if you consider when we moved back to the area 11 years later we could have bought the same floor plan on the same street for less than we sold our house for. Yikes!
Extreme example for sure.
I think price right from the start always holds true though.

Having a house on the market is always stressful. Best of luck OP. I hope the right buyer comes along soon!

Just telling you what my agent said when we sold our house. 12-14 showings (which actually occur vs. being scheduled and then no show) and your price is wrong. Period. We got an offer on showing number 12. We were about to drop our price. Phew.

When we were house hunting we always gave feedback. And it was always specific as to why we were turned off by the house.

But we were also smart enough not to allow paint colors or a few family photos be the reason that we didn’t like a home. Unfortunately in this day and age, people are expecting every house they look at to look like Chip and Joanna Gaines have renovated it into the “open floor plan with shiplap and a sliding barn door to the master bath” look.

Here are some tips:

If the house next to you is condemned, don't be surprised if people don't want to buy your house

Make sure you fix any problems with the foundation instead of spending time remodeling the kitchen.

:rolleyes1

We just went from a condo to a house (the condo is still for sale) and are having similar issues. The realtor just last week tried to convince us to put it up as a rental because the area we live in makes it a hot market for it. I personally would like the cash for it because I can get a better ROI on my business than I would as a real estate investment. Maybe it's time to switch realtors...

Update - I got an offer last night. 10k less than asking. I could afford to sell at that price, but I countered at 5K less than asking, because you never accept the first offer, right? Lol. We will see how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter