S/O..have you ever had a thread go south on you?

Just recently I asked about the best way to deal with a stroller in the airport. That was it. I have never taken one through the airport and didn't know how it goes through security or if people generally check them with luggage. Wow! I was told that my stroller is an inconvenience to everyone else, I am just in the way and that I should baby wear until he is at least 3. I was also told that I was making him a projectile by considering sitting him on my lap during the flight.
Several years ago there was a situation where I was so attacked, I left the dis. I have only recently come back because I am planning another trip and wanted to check some updates. There were comments just for the sake of being mean.

Just recently I asked about the best way to deal with a stroller in the airport. That was it. I have never taken one through the airport and didn't know how it goes through security or if people generally check them with luggage. Wow! I was told that my stroller is an inconvenience to everyone else, I am just in the way and that I should baby wear until he is at least 3. I was also told that I was making him a projectile by considering sitting him on my lap during the flight.
Several years ago there was a situation where I was so attacked, I left the dis. I have only recently come back because I am planning another trip and wanted to check some updates. There were comments just for the sake of being mean.
Lap babies *is* usually a hot button on the DIS. I just read your thread but didn't really think it went too far "south" and I didn't think people were being mean ... just a little hyperbolic in trying to get their point across.

It also reminds me of a couple of years ago, there was an issue with baby wipes in general. A mom claimed there were glass shards in her babies wipes in reality it was crystallized "soap" from wipe drying out. My sister in law made a silly video that she posted to friends and family about having an issue with her wipes, there were baby dinosaurs in them. It was just a funny thing, she joked about calling jurassic park... it was pretty darn obvious that she put my nephews 8 inch plastic Dino in a package of wipes. Her video went viral. Over 2 million views on youtube. Then the hate mail started. People telling her she was a bad mother, how they felt sorry for her children because she obviously didn't care about them at all. Almost 2 years later she still gets the occasional message about it.

I find people who have disappeared for reaching the limit of points to be rant worthy and frustrating when it happens to be a friend. No doubt someone will come along and state that the poster shouldn't have reached their limit, it's their own fault etc which is a fair call but still makes me stabby.

I think they should have some acknowledgement of posters who have recently been banned just under the newest member acknowledgement on the sidebar.

popcorn::
My name would live in that list.
I don't think the number of points matter. I get a message with points, then BAM! Good bye.
My question is whether the mod reads the questionable post or just issues an infraction due to it simply being reported.

Another thread bump reminded me--I've had one WORD go south.

There's a thread about Hamilton where I mentioned it takes a lot for "fiction" to make me cry. I was using it as an umbrella term for musicals, movies, television shows, books, etc, and wow, people really don't like it when you use that word about Hamilton. (They're confusing "includes historical events" with "documentary".)

Every time I get a new alert on the thread I just sigh.

But...isn't Hamilton a hip hop musical? With an all black cast? I mean it sounded awesome (I'm really sad it was sold out while I was in NYC) but it did not actually sound very documentary-like.popcorn::

People do understand that entire shops/bowling alleys/ballrooms of people don't break into synchronized song and dance in everyday life, don't they...

Yeah, DISrs are pretty adept at making their own rules. I get people asking me about trips to WDW but I'm a Disneyland girl so I'll refer them to the stickies on the WDW planning forums and let them know if they get involved in the threads they're on their own. I had a look many moons ago and just backed out slowly. I don't get that particular "rule." (the bold) In fast food/counter service places all across the county that's what you do. Not sure why it's something that shouldn't be done in WDW. Why would you want entire families waiting in line ahead of you clogging up the place?
Well, I do agree that disrs make up their own rules...sometimes their own realities...but that is something that is actually often against (posted, official) rules in the counter service places around here. And I can see why. Because if you are a half hour/ 45 minutes back in line, then don't send your husband/sibling/buddy to stake out a table. The people at the front of the line need that table and they'll be out of there (probably) before you get your food! This happens all the time at the fish and chip place during the summer. Mostly because there are like 4 picnic tables:headache:

Hmm... someday I will figure out how to respond to multiple people per post. Not today. I wonder if one can get points for that?

Anyway, by the time I discovered the disboards, I was a verteran on both a geeky board and a particular travel board that has/had issues. So on disboards I know enough to stay away from the really strong personalities. And the sh@tstorms. 90% of the time, I feel like you can identify the train wrecks from the first post. The other 10% of the time, it's something tiny someone gets obsessed over. Like airplane manners. Or parenting. Or the less...fit...body types. Or Walt Disney's "true vision". And I know I should stay of those threads, but who can resist a cocktail of babies and fat people on planes, or whether or not Walt would approve of Gay days, or what he would think of babies and fat people on planes...and you know it's gonna be a good one at the first invocation of Godwin's Law. Oh, yes.

The most entertaining straw man attack I've seen recently was the guy (or girl) who tried to devalue my valid point about overseas travel by telling me to "go back to WDW if I didn't want to experience other cultures." (I had WDW listed as my last trip. People on that forum love to bash the "American tourist"...which is hilarious given that many of the most fervent badgers are wealthy retired American baby boomers.) he didn't bring that up until I had defeated all of his other points with simple logic, so...I smelled desperation!

Hmm... someday I will figure out how to respond to multiple people per post. Not today. I wonder if one can get points for that?

Anyway, by the time I discovered the disboards, I was a verteran on both a geeky board and a particular travel board that has/had issues. So on disboards I know enough to stay away from the really strong personalities. And the sh@tstorms. 90% of the time, I feel like you can identify the train wrecks from the first post. The other 10% of the time, it's something tiny someone gets obsessed over. Like airplane manners. Or parenting. Or the less...fit...body types. Or Walt Disney's "true vision". And I know I should stay of those threads, but who can resist a cocktail of babies and fat people on planes, or whether or not Walt would approve of Gay days, or what he would think of babies and fat people on planes...and you know it's gonna be a good one at the first invocation of Godwin's Law. Oh, yes.

The most entertaining straw man attack I've seen recently was the guy (or girl) who tried to devalue my valid point about overseas travel by telling me to "go back to WDW if I didn't want to experience other cultures." (I had WDW listed as my last trip. People on that forum love to bash the "American tourist"...which is hilarious given that many of the most fervent badgers are wealthy retired American baby boomers.) he didn't bring that up until I had defeated all of his other points with simple logic, so...I smelled desperation!

On every post that you want to quote, hit the quote button. Then, go to the area where you can respond and click 'add these qoutes' or 'quote these posts' or whatever it is. Then, you can reply to each quote in a single post.

I MUST know. What did you say about that cookbook?

The cookbook was ripping off other people's recipes and passing them off as their own. I said as such in my post. I then further got into trouble by mocking the whole concept of the book - it was one of those 4 ingredient books, then other posters joined in the mocking :rotfl2:I was the inciter of mockgate.

The other book was 'Pollyanna'. I mentioned how much I disliked it as I thought the character was beyond smug and how it wouldn't be my choice of book for any of my children. My warning email stated that I was making fun of other posters because there were posters with 'Pollyanna' in their user names. I was reported on that. After arguing back and forth they eventually saw sense that I was indeed writing about a book (the thread was ABOUT the damn book which should have given them a clue) and not posters called Pollyanna. However the official warning stayed, they refused to remove that and unlike the DIS where your points have an expiry date, these warnings didn't.

I still think the Pollyanna books are smug - come at me all you DIS Pollyannas...

;)

I totally have had a thread go haywire. Just last weekend I started a thread...

Oh wait, you probably saw it.

(Yes, I'm responding to myself in the third person. I'm overtired and I'm beyond batty from waiting for the phone to ring. Cut me some slack)

The cookbook was ripping off other people's recipes and passing them off as their own. I said as such in my post. I then further got into trouble by mocking the whole concept of the book - it was one of those 4 ingredient books, then other posters joined in the mocking :rotfl2:I was the inciter of mockgate.

The other book was 'Pollyanna'. I mentioned how much I disliked it as I thought the character was beyond smug and how it wouldn't be my choice of book for any of my children. My warning email stated that I was making fun of other posters because there were posters with 'Pollyanna' in their user names. I was reported on that. After arguing back and forth they eventually saw sense that I was indeed writing about a book (the thread was ABOUT the damn book which should have given them a clue) and not posters called Pollyanna. However the official warning stayed, they refused to remove that and unlike the DIS where your points have an expiry date, these warnings didn't.

I still think the Pollyanna books are smug - come at me all you DIS Pollyannas...

;)

Hey, we might be mockgating birds of a feather. That sounds like something I would do!! Even if she hadn't been passing off those recipes as her own, faddish cookbooks just invite mockery. And it's so difficult to resist because their fans take them so seriously...I can just picture it now "only true cooks cook with 4 ingredients. 5 if you're a novice. 3 if you're hard core. But, really, if you've used more than 5 you can't even call yourself a cook!!!"

The Pollyanna thing though...hahaha...you got scolded because you disliked a fictional character...in a thread about said fictional character...because they thought you were being mean to people who happened to also go by the name of fictional character. *wheezes* I'll be over here in the corner with the tequila...:drinking1

;)

In true Pollyanna fashion, I shall hug you :hug: and play the glad game:

If not for your post, I would never have known there was more than one book, so now I have a new one to read! :laughing:

Seriously, though, what you said about the books wouldn't have bothered me. - I like the movie because I'm a fan of Haley Mills! (And...maaaaaybe...people see me as one of those "look on the bright side" kinds of people...) I certainly don't feel personally attacked. Sorry your other board was so sensitive.

:hippie:

My DH is not a DISboards person. On our last trip, my twins were approaching 38inches or right at 38 inches with shoes. He wanted to look up how the measurement worked and which shoes might add that 1/4" because he knew our son would like 7DMT. I had to tell him UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES could he use my DIS account to post a question about that. He was so confused. Then he looked it up and he could just not understand how people got so worked up about that.

This has been a blast to read through!

So I have taken the occasional hit to a comment, but not a thread. I got kicked off once and no one would even say for what..... :guilty:

Anyway, I usually get flamed because someone asks a question about babies or children and I toss my 2 cents in. They come back with "good idea/advice/thought.... how old are your kids?" And the fight breaks out when I say that I don't have any. It usually deteriorates to how I should keep my mouth shut, etc. So I don't comment on those much anymore.

Funny story: I had someone who was so rude and hurtful about this once that I couldn't stay silent. I came back with this whole story about how I couldn't have kids. I was standing by a street once watching the neighbors and a girl followed her kitty into the road. A speeding sports car came around the corner and I ran to shove the girl and kitten out of the way, but the car hit me in the abdomen and because of internal bruising and bleeding they had to take out the necessary parts for me to have kids of my own. It was an unthinkable sacrifice, but I got through each day by knowing that the girl lived. Thanks for pouring salt on the wound, Mrs. Meany! Of course I then had to post that I was just making that up, but what if.... I mean, I do have a conscience! I would have liked to see her face when she read the first post, though! :rolleyes1 I know, I'm going to the bad place!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter