Running costumes

Posted this in the Marathon Weekend thread, but figured it may be more appropriate here. This is my costume for the 5K. Not homemade, I probably have the time but certainly not the talent for that, but I am pretty pleased with it.
IMG_0696.JPG

This week is officially outfit-making week! I've got a lot on my plate - and I STILL have no 5K idea. Grr!

My poor little Silhouette is going to get quite the workout this week.

What's everyone running Marathon Weekend thinking about for running costumes?

This is what I've got working:

5K - AHHHH! No idea. Maybe the newsboy from Spaceship Earth?
10K - McFarland runner (red and white McFarland tank top, red skirt, white compression socks)
Half - Minnie Mouse (black shirt, polka dot skirt, yellow compression sleeves)
Full - Keels the Mouseketeer (Mouseketeer shirt, royal blue skirt, white compression sleeves)

Post-Marathon shirt: Black "Best Day Ever" shirt in silver glitter

And for my friends/family to wear during the weekend, I'm doing lime green and purple shirts that say "Team Keels" on the front in big type and then #KeelsDoesDopey (because I LOVE hashtags) smaller. On the back, it will have the 4 Days. 4 Races. 48.6 Miles, and then all the race logos - we'll use a big fabric pen to check off races completed!

Posted this in the Marathon Weekend thread, but figured it may be more appropriate here. This is my costume for the 5K. Not homemade, I probably have the time but certainly not the talent for that, but I am pretty pleased with it.
View attachment 138860

that looks great. It might be warm though.

I need to start working on my half costume. I have to get time to start dying stuff pink.

that looks great. It might be warm though.

Yeah, that's why it's for the 5K. I figure I'll be able to make it through three miles in it unless it is pouring rain. I guess 40 degrees and windy wouldn't feel quite as bad this January.

OK, so here's what I've got:

5K - Dole Whip. Yellow shirt, white capris, short tulle tutu and these bad boys!
image.jpeg

10K - McFarland Runner. I'll probably add white arm sleeves, but you get the idea:
image.jpeg

Half - Minnie Mouse (just missing a black visor):
image.jpeg

Full: Mouseketeer - repurposing from Disneyland Half
image.jpeg

@Keels

Did you make that McFarland singlet? That looks incredible. I've been toying with that for the full, but can't find a white singlet with the red trim.

@Keels some of those skirts look familiar ;)

Did you wash ShockingRed yet? I did a vinegar soak for that one...it's notorious for the dye running out. Great costumes!

@Keels

Did you make that McFarland singlet? That looks incredible. I've been toying with that for the full, but can't find a white singlet with the red trim.

Thanks! I couldn't find a tech fabric top, but I did find this tank from American Apparel that would fit over another thank to work out. The only crappy thing is it's 100-percent combed cotton. I usually prefer more of a tech blend top, but I don't think it will be that bad for the 10K.

I did! I couldn't find a tech fabric top, so this is actually a 100-percent cotton one (ugh) from American Apparel
@Keels some of those skirts look familiar ;)

Did you wash ShockingRed yet? I did a vinegar soak for that one...it's notorious for the dye running out. Great costumes!

Ha! Yeah - I made the executive decision on a few more skirts. I justified it because with the new bag rule/metal detectors at MLB Parks, I figured these would become my new game day wear with all of my Rangers tops. I almost pulled the trigger on Peacock Snow to wear as part of a SpectroMagic Ostrich costume, but I decided to go with the Dole Whip instead and at least wear capris for one race.

I'm a little disappointed in the Minnie one - I wish I could have seen that the hem is zig-zagged off a serger instead of a traditional hem. But whatever. With so many Disney races in 2016 (hopefully 13!), it will definitely get its moneys worth in wear.

But thanks for the tip on the Shocking Red - I was actually going to ask about that! Did the Royal Blue bleed as well?

I'm a little disappointed in the Minnie one - I wish I could have seen that the hem is zig-zagged off a serger instead of a traditional hem. But whatever. With so many Disney races in 2016 (hopefully 13!), it will definitely get its moneys worth in wear.

But thanks for the tip on the Shocking Red - I was actually going to ask about that! Did the Royal Blue bleed as well?
The hems are hit or miss, depends on what sewing facility it comes from (of course, there's no way to know that).

BlueRoyale did NOT bleed, but I did the vinegar wash on that one anyway. ShockingRed did (i used a Shout Color Catcher on that one, and I could definitely see it in the sheet). If you ever get MagicalTeal, that one is also pretty bad with bleeding.

The hems are hit or miss, depends on what sewing facility it comes from (of course, there's no way to know that).

BlueRoyale did NOT bleed, but I did the vinegar wash on that one anyway. ShockingRed did (i used a Shout Color Catcher on that one, and I could definitely see it in the sheet). If you ever get MagicalTeal, that one is also pretty bad with bleeding.

I thought about Magical Teal for Princess Weekend, so that's good to know.

I'm pretty much on-board with all the solids - I'm just still struggling with the prints. So many are pretty, but I'm just NOT a print gal. These colored skirts are pretty much a total paradigm shift for me from wearing black capris exclusively. :D

I started working on my Kevin costume for the 10K last weekend and didn't get too far as I was sidelined by a nasty cold that also caused me to miss my long run this past weekend (gah!). Hoping to make up the long run on Friday morning (20-miler) and then work on Kevin a bit more. I don't have a sewing machine, so it makes all this costume construction..."interesting" we'll call it. ;)
IMG_1094 (003).JPG

I've also mostly assembled my Honey Lemon for the 5K and will need to do a test run, Buzz Lightyear is ready for takeoff for the half, and will be working on Alice next for the full. Phew!

I started working on my Kevin costume for the 10K last weekend and didn't get too far as I was sidelined by a nasty cold that also caused me to miss my long run this past weekend (gah!). Hoping to make up the long run on Friday morning (20-miler) and then work on Kevin a bit more. I don't have a sewing machine, so it makes all this costume construction..."interesting" we'll call it. ;)
View attachment 139248

I've also mostly assembled my Honey Lemon for the 5K and will need to do a test run, Buzz Lightyear is ready for takeoff for the half, and will be working on Alice next for the full. Phew!

KEVIN!!!!! It always makes me so happy to see people dressed up like Kevin!!

I thought about Magical Teal for Princess Weekend, so that's good to know.

I'm pretty much on-board with all the solids - I'm just still struggling with the prints. So many are pretty, but I'm just NOT a print gal. These colored skirts are pretty much a total paradigm shift for me from wearing black capris exclusively. :D
Yeah, I have most of their solids. I'm about half & half on solids vs. prints.

I have all prints for SparkleSkirts (maybe 10 or so?), but you two are making me think I need to now stock up on some solids. Enablers! :)

I have all prints for SparkleSkirts (maybe 10 or so?), but you two are making me think I need to now stock up on some solids. Enablers! :)
Consulting my SparkleSkirts Google Doc*, I have 18 skirts. 9 prints and 9 solids. I wasn't too interested in the solids until recently, when I've started wearing more printed tops. That has made me want to get more solids. :) I could see myself selling some of the prints and going mostly or all solids at some point, but SSHQ is coming out with so many bleeping new skirts lately that it's becoming harder to sell stuff. :mad:

*DORK!! :teeth:

Consulting my SparkleSkirts Google Doc*, I have 18 skirts. 9 prints and 9 solids. I wasn't too interested in the solids until recently, when I've started wearing more printed tops. That has made me want to get more solids. :) I could see myself selling some of the prints and going mostly or all solids at some point, but SSHQ is coming out with so many bleeping new skirts lately that it's becoming harder to sell stuff. :mad:

Wow! 18 skirts. And I thought I was starting to have a problem with my 4; although I do LOVE running in them. Question for you, is there anywhere in particular you would sell them? I've moved down a size (yay!) and was wondering if I should sell. I can still wear them, but they definitely have a different feel than the smaller sized one.

@Keels I bought Peacock Snow at Avengers and was wondering what I could do with it costume-wise in January. You're so creative. It's a GREAT skirt btw. :)

I havent' bought ANY solids yet and I'm not normally a print girl either. It just seems so expensive an item to get "just" a solid. But maybe one day. :)

I justify my habit by wearing them to the parks when I go. They're fabulous for the hot park days, lots of pockets so you don't have to carry a purse (like what @Keels said about MLB games), and they are a lot cuter than the cargo shorts my husband wears to be my Man Bag! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter