Running costumes

You're speaking to someone who created an Excel spreadsheet for the marathon weekend corrals. This is a safe space! :)
:teeth: It's helpful for selling them.
Wow! 18 skirts. And I thought I was starting to have a problem with my 4; although I do LOVE running in them. Question for you, is there anywhere in particular you would sell them? I've moved down a size (yay!) and was wondering if I should sell. I can still wear them, but they definitely have a different feel than the smaller sized one.
There are Facebook groups for resale. Look up SparkleAddicts (the other ones are secret, so you have to be friends with someone who can let you in).

As for my 18...I was almost to 30 at one point, so I'm proud of the 18 (still aiming to get it lower, though). :teeth: SSHQ once posted a picture on their Facebook page of someone who had bought every skirt (or almost every skirt?) they ever made. I think it was something like 130 skirts, and that picture was maybe a year ago. And there are people in the Facebook groups that have well over 100, so you and I are lightweights with our 4 and 18. :)

SSHQ once posted a picture on their Facebook page of someone who had bought every skirt (or almost every skirt?) they ever made. I think it was something like 130 skirts, and that picture was maybe a year ago.
Found it. :faint: I was a little off with my numbers, but still...
9NRmh374huKArfuGUfL7TK8QRkAje0LMAiiE3xK-EosZsBA8G4UW9-PDhv3IewinAmjXoIBmdq1QPTc5OJhJUxHNC4RGqNz5RGeeVKYLSYg4gXkHfVgVSDKkaP22WUcaWOQtUmylobzjkeZKPWdj6J5JXQ-Pq8g2hWdmOFkJZn7qgg9wnTZcTSWXZxdk0DAPzz-6dDLvywxE_06aCDf2vrPimSJOEnQmYJGyjtvKIqzLwLgf6-7aRkR0nC8BPkYAIh7X2F7JASaoIuuVCtRhH95g6KD7ktTIGXkBsfcwnh80mCxSBhMkIcvOTACH5pypf6Zpn7j04iGfNWAU3kQtu8fpRF0jgd7Tqan3JNPU1LuEbs9fDH6xTphGQc9LrgmcEa_fYsyOdpG6QoteStIJkxabNzC8CebnlGlF-ds7pUIcxh1OYv_m7KZ5PVB7V55x_fUIP7kJAovRuhU2ZmulcqFKYYqa33Ejg-fnyVeQy7u0s3cPd0RT2I4fZ-lU4CSsxY1RvaLev7tORGrieXh8ridD92ZNAxk6fsNyhpRCUbD1=w498-h709-no

@Keels I bought Peacock Snow at Avengers and was wondering what I could do with it costume-wise in January. You're so creative. It's a GREAT skirt btw. :)

Welp. Went ahead and bought Peacock Snow! I'd been wanting it and it wasn't at W&D, but I figure if I'm going to buy a patterned skirt, this is going to be the one!

Welp. Went ahead and bought Peacock Snow! I'd been wanting it and it wasn't at W&D, but I figure if I'm going to buy a patterned skirt, this is going to be the one!

YAY!! I love it. It's probably the softest skirt I own, and if I'm not mistaken I think it's endangered? Anyhow, YAY!!

YAY!! I love it. It's probably the softest skirt I own, and if I'm not mistaken I think it's endangered? Anyhow, YAY!!

@Ariel484 can correct me, but I seriously think I've been thinking about that skirt since early this summer - at least since right before Disneyland ... and nearly pulled the trigger before it went away.

Now I may have to shift my costumes around! My mom (who is also running the 5K) wants to run as McFarland, so I may dump the Dole Whip costume and do the 10K as Fantasia Ostrich.

Opinion question ...
I bought a shirt to use for a Nemo costume ... but someone has expressed concern that it might be a little too bright. Do you guys think this is okay? Or is it too bright?
upload_2015-12-12_19-4-2.png

Opinion question ...
I bought a shirt to use for a Nemo costume ... but someone has expressed concern that it might be a little too bright. Do you guys think this is okay? Or is it too bright?
View attachment 139691
I'm a marine biologist (for real, not George Costanza marine biologist) and I think it's perfect for a clownfish! From the photo at least. So consider that an expert opinion. ;)

I'm a marine biologist (for real, not George Costanza marine biologist) and I think it's perfect for a clownfish! From the photo at least. So consider that an expert opinion. ;)

Thanks!
I've seen clownfish in the aquarium, so I'm by no means an expert. But if a marine biologist says it, then I say it works!

Thanks!
I've seen clownfish in the aquarium, so I'm by no means an expert. But if a marine biologist says it, then I say it works!
There are many species of clownfish, and Nemo's/Marlin's is a very bright orange. If you go to the Living Seas (if you don't want to do the ride, I think you can backdoor it through the gift shop), they usually have a small aquaculture tank on the second floor FILLED with clownfish, and they are very bright orange. So you'll be just fine, I think! :) And super-cute idea for a race costume.

Pulling the trigger on a solid black SparkleSkirt, @Ariel484 and @Keels - thanks for the enabling! :D

And speaking of SparkleSkirts, I was in the parks yesterday (DHS and EP) and as we were leaving, we bought some sodas for the road and the CM started talking to me about mine (Mouse in the Mix). It always amazes me when people know the skirt names (when I ran a local 5K a few months ago, someone shouted out "Beach Blanket Sparkle Skirt!!" at me) and how they tend to spark (no pun intended) conversation with complete strangers. Anyway, this CM apparently did Dopey last year with an injury and with her parents, so it also helped assuage my nerves a bit. I'm mostly nervous about the marathon day - I have the confidence now that I know I could wake up tomorrow and run a half if I had to, but I'd be lying if I said the marathon isn't scaring me. :eek:

Opinion question ...
View attachment 139691
Definitely not too bright.
Of course take that with a grain of salt. I'm currently dying my shorts and shirt because as a big guy it's hard to find pink running apparel.image.jpg

I LOVE when people shout the name of my Sparkle Skirt as they run by me (or vice versa) lol. My favorite was while doing it at a non-RunDisney race. It was a Hot Chocolate run and I was wearing KeepUp. It's so fun.

SOOO excited to have found this thread!!!! We did the Marathon weekend 5k last year and it was like 30 degrees; we ended up just layering basically all our clothes :) So this year, doing the 10k... considering wearing long sleeves. Was going to buy a running outfit but since most are short sleeved I am now thinking I will make one with a performance shirt.

I keep wrestling with Boba, Darth or Padme... I figure all could be done with long sleeves. Thoughts from people who have done Marathon weekend a lot? Was last year an aberration weather-wise? Keep in mind I walk more than I run :)

I think you have to prepare for all possibly scenarios. In 2010, it snowed. in 2012 and 2013 (2013 especially), it was HOT. In 2014, from what I hear, it was perfect. Then this year it started out with temperatures in the 30s and warmed up as the weekend went on. You just never know. :confused3

Thoughts from people who have done Marathon weekend a lot? Was last year an aberration weather-wise? Keep in mind I walk more than I run :)
I think you have to prepare for all possibly scenarios. In 2010, it snowed. in 2012 and 2013 (2013 especially), it was HOT. In 2014, from what I hear, it was perfect. Then this year it started out with temperatures in the 30s and warmed up as the weekend went on. You just never know. :confused3

2012 was my first year and it was pretty nice, but maybe a little warm, during the half. 2013 it was uncomfortably warm during the marathon. The 2014 Dopey was great weather and probably lulled me into a false sense of security for the 2015 Dopey. This past year I was unprepared for how cold it was on Thursday and Friday and didn't particularly enjoy the wait in the corral on Saturday either.

Like @Ariel484 said, you really have to be prepared for anything. I've been lucky not to experience much in the way of precipitation to this point; but I'm sure it's coming. It makes packing a bit more of a chore, but you'll probably be more comfortable on race day if you have all your bases covered.

Hmmm.... Maybe a thin turtleneck under layer with a costumed tee/tank over it? When you say HOT, are you talking 80s or 60s? I am in Ohio so 70 in the winter counts as warm :)

You guys are not kidding. I just googled it, and it looks like it has been everywhere between 30 degrees to 82 :)

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Maybe a thin turtleneck under layer with a costumed tee/tank over it? When you say HOT, are you talking 80s or 60s? I am in Ohio so 70 in the winter counts as warm :)

You guys are not kidding. I just googled it, and it looks like it has been everywhere between 30 degrees to 82 :)

HOT was low to mid-70's early morning warming to near 80 by the time I finished. The sun was strong as well, so running on asphalt probably made the heat seem worse. It wasn't a fun day to be completing my first marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter