• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

I get what you're saying. But honestly, some of this stuff we have NO IDEA how/if it'll actually affect our trips. If we weren't obsessively on here, would we have gone on our trips and thought "gee... Service is terrible now... They must have cut CMs..." I don't know. Guess we'll see.

And every time someone rants about "CUTS!!", they rarely if ever balance it out with the NEW THINGS/PEOPLE being added. Staffing for the various nighttime parties at AK, staffing for RoL, staffing for new SW stage show. It's not all net outflows.

I guess I'm saying that if we weren't on DIS, it's possible our experience of our vacations wouldn't diminish at all.

The lack of info for planning gets to me. But again -- that's because I plan A TON. And because we always love to catch the newest stuff ASAP. If we were more laid back about that, like the VAST MAJORITY of guests are, it wouldn't be that big a deal not knowing park hours for AK yet -- we'd adjust, or not, once we found them out.

I think the negativity on DIS far outweighs the positivity. This thread has been largely positive -- with understandable frustration and venting thrown in in mostly a lighthearted way. Yulilin's SW thread is another one. But my goodness... All of the "going downhill", "more cuts", "I'm not going back" threads!! So many. It's why I mostly avoid them and periodically take a break from DIS altogether.

I'm as annoyed as anyone as an ultra-planner. I'm just saying I benefit from stepping back and getting perspective of the big picture for our family. For us, the magic is still there IN SPADES and makes all this stuff worth it. For others, perhaps not, and that's fair, too. :)

I totally get what you're saying, and like I said, I know once I get there, I'll be fine. We have so much fun as a family in Disney! And again, despite still having a lot of unknowns about my trip that begins in 23 days, I feel like I've remained pretty positive about things. I also agree that the boards can tilt to the negative.

However, I too am a planner. I'm not one that has to have everything "go as planned". I'm more of a over-researcher because I want to be prepared to make changes and adjustments, if that makes sense. Anyway, in reference to what I bolded above, if I wasn't on this board, I can think of at least 4 specific changes (some small, some larger) that would have completely caught me off guard, and would have had a detrimental impact. There are more, but those are the ones that come to mind. I'm glad that I can adjust before I get there! So, in any case, I'm glad to get so much info here! I can't imagine if I were taking a trip in April and May and not researching things, but I think that happens quite a bit.

And like I said, my biggest worry is how DH will perceive things, but I know he'll have a blast too!

I thought I would edit to give an example of two of the smaller ones - no more Lady Tremaine or Marie in MK - post-princess, those were DD9's two big new M&Gs she wanted to do this trip. It certainly won't make or break the trip, but I'm really glad we're not figuring it out the morning we get to MK - she would have been really disappointed!

I totally get what you're saying, and like I said, I know once I get there, I'll be fine. We have so much fun as a family in Disney! And again, despite still having a lot of unknowns about my trip that begins in 23 days, I feel like I've remained pretty positive about things. I also agree that the boards can tilt to the negative.

However, I too am a planner. I'm not one that has to have everything "go as planned". I'm more of a over-researcher because I want to be prepared to make changes and adjustments, if that makes sense. Anyway, in reference to what I bolded above, if I wasn't on this board, I can think of at least 4 specific changes (some small, some larger) that would have completely caught me off guard, and would have had a detrimental impact. There are more, but those are the ones that come to mind. I'm glad that I can adjust before I get there! So, in any case, I'm glad to get so much info here! I can't imagine if I were taking a trip in April and May and not researching things, but I think that happens quite a bit.

And like I said, my biggest worry is how DH will perceive things, but I know he'll have a blast too!
Gotcha!! I am THE SAME WAY: research and plan a ton so that I know enough for us to just roll with the punches once we're there!! It's not about having everything go "as planned". I SO get you! :thumbsup2

My DH always tells people this about a WDW trip: "You never leave thinking 'wow - that was cheap!', but you always leave feeling 'wow - that was worth it!!'" :)

And btw: I TOTALLY agree that you have been positive here!! As much as I have, I think!! But sometimes, lack of planning info gets to me... :headache:

Off Topic:
Disney Early Morning Magic- Fantasyland

Guests Check-In beginning at 7:30am at the Main Entrance of Magic Kingdom, by the Far Left Hand Side Turnstiles. Guests will receive a sticker for identification.

At 7:45am Guests are allowed to enter Magic Kingdom. They will make their way to Fantasyland where they will be free to enjoy Peter Pan’s Flight, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
no dates or prices have been given out
Didn't take them long to figure out that if people will pay $24 for a cronut they may as well cut out the middle man and just charge for the ride. Wondering if an 8am BOG ADR will be worth it anymore:confused3

Just 3 rides?! Huh...

I remember when they had early entrance for families with little kids in Fantasyland... that was free for resort guests, I believe... It was really cute: characters roamed, played with the kids, etc. and several rides were open. I forget what they called it... (I'm getting old!!)

That sounds really cute!

Wish there was more info on this (read:cost) - I'd think it would be a few more rides? Thanks for the info, @yulilin3 !

Jenn who gave us "very soon" then didn't bother to repond to ANY of the Comments on her "Good Day from AK" Blog?
I think I'll have just as much success trying to lick my elbow or enjoy Stitch's Great Escape.
They don't always respond to blog comments. You're more likely going to get an email response. The blog comments don't mean a thing to Disney look at the frozen ride blog post comments.

Didn't take them long to figure out that if people will pay $24 for a cronut they may as well cut out the middle man and just charge for the ride. Wondering if an 8am BOG ADR will be worth it anymore:confused3

Makes perfect sense to me. People (ourselves included) have booked early morning ADRs so we can take advantage of the added benefit of being first in line for something like 7DMT. Now, they're just monetizing it for people. Probably has the (potential) benefit of slightly cutting down wait times later in the day and freeing up some early ADRs.

That sounds really cute!

Wish there was more info on this (read:cost) - I'd think it would be a few more rides? Thanks for the info, @yulilin3 !
It really was cute... I think I still have pics somewhere of the kids playing "Mickey Says" with Mickey, Peter Pan and Wendy! And Alice and the Mad Hatter rode Tea Cups and posed for pics with the kids. If it's anything like that this time, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. We would have paid for it... but it was free at the time... ;)

I just got another SURVERY from Disney - centering around MDE...overall, I think the app on both the website and the phone is pretty good...but I was not complementary about being able to make dining and fp reservations. This is the second survey I have received in the past month or so.... weird that they are only interested in the MDE stuff.
I had a chance to do 2 but clicked the box off because I just did one about 2 months ago.

Just 3 rides?! Huh...

I remember when they had early entrance for families with little kids in Fantasyland... that was free for resort guests, I believe... It was really cute: characters roamed, played with the kids, etc. and several rides were open. I forget what they called it... (I'm getting old!!)

Yes! This!
In 2006 they had Little Ones Magic Hour @ Magic Kingdom on Sun, Wed, and Fri from 8-9am.:thumbsup2

It really was cute... I think I still have pics somewhere of the kids playing "Mickey Says" with Mickey, Peter Pan and Wendy! And Alice and the Mad Hatter rode Tea Cups and posed for pics with the kids. If it's anything like that this time, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. We would have paid for it... but it was free at the time... ;)

I would pay for that! I can't even imagine "free-range" characters - sounds awesome! I remember being a kid with free-range characters, but not since I've been an adult with kids of my own.

I wonder when it will start. I would imagine that they'd need a few more rides, but who knows?

Been following this thread for weeks (I'll be in WDW from 5/18-5/27). At work right now, minding my own business, checking blogs and updates and Missy Higgins came on my Spotify Playlist. The song is called 'Any Day Now' and it essentially sums it all up:

How long, how long, how long will we take to come undone?
If you know the answer tell me now and I'll write up a calendar for our count down.
'Cos what if what we see is all, is all we've got?
Say you've kept some fire aside to set light to me some surprising night.
And say you've locked some fire away to set light to me some surprising day.
To me some surprising day, any day now...

Maybe we need to ask Missy Higgins if 'any day now' means the same as 'very soon' :)

I'm betting the early morning magic is not replacing extra magic hours, but will be on days without them to get people to pay for pre park opening access. Glad I got in my first pre park opening breakfasts last year!

I agree. I don't believe they'll do away with AM EMH, but this will likely be a separate event. I'm anxious (in a nervous sort of way) to see what it really is though.

I just saw this today. If Disney takes away the EMH that are included in a resort stay to make them in to a paid event, I won't stay on site anymore. I can stay at my brothers house for free.

It does look like this is Disney transitioning to make EMH a paid event. Especially since they are going to make people pay 150.00 per person for an extra 3 hours after closing at MK also.

Off Topic:
Disney Early Morning Magic- Fantasyland

Guests Check-In beginning at 7:30am at the Main Entrance of Magic Kingdom, by the Far Left Hand Side Turnstiles. Guests will receive a sticker for identification.

At 7:45am Guests are allowed to enter Magic Kingdom. They will make their way to Fantasyland where they will be free to enjoy Peter Pan’s Flight, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
no dates or prices have been given out

I can't find this anywhere on the Disney website...is it from the HUB? Or what other source? Thanks, yulilin3!

I'm not a fan of the "Pay $25 to split breakfast among 4 adults so we can dash to 7DMT before the park opens" strategy, but I can't help but wonder if people taking advantage of that lead Disney to this idea - "hey lets charge people for it since they want in early. Lets give the people what they want!"

PS. Cousin is in labor. Baby on its way. If ROL packages are released today, I will let her know that the baby needs to be named appropriately. It's a girl so her choices are: Riverella, ROLanda, or Maggie.

@KateP85 you're next!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter