Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

So ... do you think any of those animals will show up on craigslist? I'd love one for my yard.

Sorry.

That was mean.

Was it?

Been sick for two weeks, and sick of it.

I'm so behind, haven't decorated or shopped for holidays.

Ready to send stuff back to attic and go buy gift cards for 4x Kroger Fuel Points.

Some good will come of it.

Cheaper gas.

I'm on GRINCH mode.

I love the Grinch.

I'm so over ROL.

We were told we would be wowed.

Not sounding hopeful.

I'll still go see it.

When it opens.

And be hopeful.

When it opens.

AND sadly all we can hope for is 2017.

Hope ...
verb
  1. want something to happen
Yup. Hope.

That's all we got.

We WANT it to happen.

BUT we must remember - nothing any of us say, makes it happen.

Time for my meds ....

Thank you for all the LOUNGE SUPPORT and humor.

Okay I'll say it.

What happens to us if this thing opens?

HOPE for me is .............

hope-motivational-wallpapers-motivational-quotes-770x300.jpg
Feel better soon.

My trips to WDW last year were in March, July, and September. I knew we wouldn't see ROL in March, but I was looking forward to seeing it in July. I still had some hopes for September after the April push back, but I wasn't sure, so we booked our January 2017 to stay at AKV, because ROL will CERTAINLY be up and running by then, and it will be so convenient to take the bus over and really concentrate on AK offerings for this trip. Or not...

I still hold out the slightest bit of hope that we'll get some type of soft opening. I also check for dining packages, just in case. But we've pretty much reconciled ourselves to not seeing it until our June trip. If it isn't up and running by June, I think they'll just need to take it out back and shoot it. If you add in the fun we had trying to ride FEA in July and September, let's just say Disney hasn't really been wowing us with their new attraction roll outs.

My trips to WDW last year were in March, July, and September. I knew we wouldn't see ROL in March, but I was looking forward to seeing it in July. I still had some hopes for September after the April push back, but I wasn't sure, so we booked our January 2017 to stay at AKV, because ROL will CERTAINLY be up and running by then, and it will be so convenient to take the bus over and really concentrate on AK offerings for this trip. Or not...

I still hold out the slightest bit of hope that we'll get some type of soft opening. I also check for dining packages, just in case. But we've pretty much reconciled ourselves to not seeing it until our June trip. If it isn't up and running by June, I think they'll just need to take it out back and shoot it. If you add in the fun we had trying to ride FEA in July and September, let's just say Disney hasn't really been wowing us with their new attraction roll outs.

Yeah, I think lots of folks from top to bottom at Disney, all all the Disney fans waiting for this are ready to be put out of our agony. At this point they might be better off focusing on Pandora because strikes add up.

Yeah, I think lots of folks from top to bottom at Disney, all all the Disney fans waiting for this are ready to be put out of our agony. At this point they might be better off focusing on Pandora because strikes add up.

While part of me agrees with you, part of me knows that, generally speaking, the public has a short memory...and if they ever do get it up and running, and it's even close to what is marketed at the time, there will be huge standby lines and frenzied clamoring for FPs.

People have differing perspectives...some of us were smacked pretty hard last April, and (speaking for myself only here) now that we've healed somewhat, while we remain a "little bit" bitter from the near-mental breakdowns, we've moved on, and now look forward to SOMEDAY getting to see it, but certainly not planning the next trip around it. If it's running...if it's convenient...if the reviews say it's worth seeing...if we can score a FP....then yeah, probably will make the attempt.

Hopefully if there is a takeaway from this, Disney has learned something about over-marketing....but, probably not.

While part of me agrees with you, part of me knows that, generally speaking, the public has a short memory...and if they ever do get it up and running, and it's even close to what is marketed at the time, there will be huge standby lines and frenzied clamoring for FPs.

People have differing perspectives...some of us were smacked pretty hard last April, and (speaking for myself only here) now that we've healed somewhat, while we remain a "little bit" bitter from the near-mental breakdowns, we've moved on, and now look forward to SOMEDAY getting to see it, but certainly not planning the next trip around it. If it's running...if it's convenient...if the reviews say it's worth seeing...if we can score a FP....then yeah, probably will make the attempt.

Hopefully if there is a takeaway from this, Disney has learned something about over-marketing....but, probably not.

I agree in regards to Disney guests since many or most are not repeat customers like folks on here are. I think the repeat customers are disappointed and tired of the slow speed and then the results. While I enjoyed FEA, many don't, I have only been on once due to the constant breakdowns. I now know I can't depend on riding it. I've been on the new Soarin' ... how embarrassing. This is not new technology, it is very old and yet they can't shoot with the right camera lens and they have to add in CGI. I have no desire to waste my time on it ever again. While I hear all about the wonderful, creative attractions in the Asia parks .... we seem to get the same old. Toy Story Land ... another carnival ride land? Really? Why don't we get the good rides? Don't get me wrong, I love the attention to detail in WDW ....... but after going in Diagon Alley and seeing the speed it was built and I could spend days in there looking at details ...... I really question the abilities at WDW now ............ especially now with ROL.

Yes I'll go see it, I do everything at least once. But from all the reports coming out of the preview ... I would personally rather see it open later and tweaked and missing parts added. If they don't put the full show they talked up out there, then I take it that their capabilities to execute are lower than what they design on paper. Then to hear some sources say we have to take the minor tweaked show 2-4 years for payback then they will build it right ..... don't bother. Build something new with no baggage.

I don't think the impact to Disney employees will fade so fast. They have much to answer to. They have to address their inability to execute what they designed. The department needs some self-evaluation. This isn't just about lack of communication between creative and marketing, this is lots of communication breaks top to bottom.

I think at this point part of the problem is that they've invested in various floats and etc. and thus want to make it work with those, but the original design and choreography were based on technology assumptions that were flawed and everything might be for the better if they just redesigned the whole darn thing and ignored legacy props/floats.

Hey everybody,

I was recently thinking about our upcoming April trip and realized that most of my planned reservations for experiences and dining revolved around events that aren't yet available to book. So I was wondering do some of our loungers also have experiences they're waiting on booking. If so, and you're inclined to share, what are they?

For us, we're waiting for April booking to open for:
- Club Villain
- Star Wars Dessert Party
- Rivers of Light Dining package :laughing:
- Maaaaaybe Monorail Dinner party (perhaps we should get a big group together for it and include our own little mystery theatre. "Dining on the Monorail and the Curse of the Maltese Figment")

Last edited:

I think at this point part of the problem is that they've invested in various floats and etc. and thus want to make it work with those, but the original design and choreography were based on technology assumptions that were flawed and everything might be for the better if they just redesigned the whole darn thing and ignored legacy props/floats.

Totally with you on this. Sometimes you just have to admit you are in over your head, back up and adjust within your ability for the best outcome.

Hey everybody,

I was recently thinking about our upcoming April trip and realized that most of my planned reservations for experiences and dining revolved around events that aren't yet available to book. So I was wondering do some of our loungers also have experiences they're waiting on booking. If so, and you're inclined to share, what are they?

- Club Villain
- Maaaaaybe Monorail Dinner party (perhaps we should get a big group together for it and include our own little mystery theatre. "Dining on the Monorail and the Curse of the Maltese Figment")

I get that Disney is trying to find the balance on all these new events and offerings but when a trip takes so much planning ... they really need to do better. Loved Club Villain, and while it is going on in January, once per week means I arrived day after and planning to leave day before or of .......... SW Party - we used to love them during SWW, wasn't wowed by description of new process, wondering if it will be the same, but I understand wanting it booked and done ................. Monorail Dining, have to say I am extremely excited for this, we booked in the first few hours and good thing. On the thread one person spoke to CR Dining manager and they said they plan to keep it going, do not anticipate a price change and menu will be seasonal (yeah! one of my hopes) ...................... ROL Dining Package, peace be with you.

So right now I am booked for the one I really want!! :cool1:

Thinking positive thoughts that at least right after the New Years they get their butt's in gear and load the future event offerings.

Hey everybody,

- Club Villain

We have a trip planned for the last few days of January through the first few days of February. I'm crossing my fingers for Club Villain to be extended into Feb, as well as for DHS EMM to be extended into Jan/Feb. My DD and I attended the MK EMM in October and really enjoyed it, but won't be repeating it on this next trip. My whole family is interested in the one at DHS, though.

Last edited:
Hey everybody,

- Club Villain

I'm not holding out any hope for Rivers of Light, but I'm holding my breath waiting for February Club Villain dates. I really need them to get on that, it effects whether I book an extra night at WDW.

We have a trip planned for the last few days of January through the first few days of February. I'm crossing my fingers for Club Villain to be extended into Feb, as well as for DHS EMM to be extended into Jan/Feb. My DD and I attended the MK EMM in October and really enjoyed it, but won't be repeating it on this next trip. My whole family is interested in the one at DHS, though.

We loved the DHS one. DS1 loves meeting Buzz and Woody together but that room they keep you in is pure chaos, loud and kids running amuck. It's way too stressful for him so we skip it. He loves TSMM but I'm not going to kill a day for him to repeat it. While Star Tours is easy to ride, he loves it and I go along. The real plus is they are going back to the random scenes so riding a few times will now be fun. We had never met Olaf, or Mickey and Minnie in their new sets (loved them). We had every single character hall/room to ourselves and they really took their time with us. TSMM over and over (not even getting off) until I couldn't pull that string anymore. We were one of the first in for breakfast and a CM even helped us to table and got our drinks. Everywhere the CMs were very attentive and made the morning special. Totally worth it, especially if you would have spent money on a TS breakfast anyway.

Last edited:
Hey everybody,

- Club Villain
Our next trip is in June. We are waiting on the Star Wars dessert party though if history serves, we will be waiting until mid-May for that. We won't be looking for an ROL pkg this time b/c I booked Sanaa as the TS for our AK day. We will have to make do with FP for that.

Okay I have checked and doubled checked posts from yesterday,
and don't see where - the "highly followed sources" for all things - over at WDWM have been shared.
While I do not think they know it all, they are used as sources, so here is what transpired yesterday ....

marni/91k posts
The show has major.... creative issues. On top of any lasting technical hang ups.
Just things I've heard from those.... higher up.
I'm being purposely vague obviously but what is playing now is not what was pitched.
And what was pitched all those years ago may not be one of night times finest shows.
I have to be careful what I say.
It seems what was installed in Orlando is not considered high enough calibre.
This is not from rank and file CMs previews.
I'd be a little surprised if something doesn't open next year,
with the option to work on it or start over again once it's bedded in.
Those who pay are not happy.
(Pay from the west coast)

Also when someone asked "So basically a need to start from scratch and create a new show ...
but in mean time they will debut watered down ROL so they can move on from disaster ...
ABOVE POSTER replied: Potentially yes

Again, I think the folks there are highly overrated, would never claim them as sources ...
and consider the the "blog" biased to keep on the mouse good side ...
But I am sharing and disclaiming that this, as everything else posted, is RUMOR.

We all know this can go either way, that folks can keep putting stuff out there and
eventually be right. It's crazy. It's almost like 50/50 this thing will open soon.

Oh and in case you missed it - while all major reporting sources (so taking notes, getting details) at previews
said it was 18 minutes long (they were all consistent on this random number with maybe one saying 20) ..
The Disney website now says the show is 15 minutes long, :confused3 is something else gone the way of the lanterns?

Not sure I even care anymore based on the majority of reports.

We have a trip booked in early march!! So excited! I am not holding my breath for RoL but I wish the Villain party would happen!!! Everyone I spoke to says it's wonderful and worth the cost. :ccat:

Food for thought ...

Joe Rohde on Instagram
[with a photo of a danger unstable cliffs sign at the edge of the cliffs over water]

207 likes
5d
  • joerohde9. You know that thing where people say, "We are in this far, we can't turn back now!" This is also a logical fallacy. A situation is bad regardless of how invested you are in how you got there. It is not necessarily true that the best thing to do is to keep going. This attitude comes from our fear of loss, which is just another irrational force acting upon decision-making. Sometimes, you really did walk 15 miles uphill only to find yourself in a pit of venomous snakes. The best thing to do is not to keep walking forward, it is to stop and turn around and walk out. Many sad war-stories about bad project experiences come from projects where people did not pull out when they saw perfectly clearly that the situation was really bad. Instead they said, "We are in this far!!! We can't turn back now!! Let's keep going." Nerp. #design#businesssuccess #businessplan#organization #creativity

Of course before any excuses are made ... when a few questioned ROL he CYA'd himself with this. Yeah, I believe it is thinking out loud. :teeth:

• joerohde nothing particular just admonition to be aware of for clear thinking

Last edited:
Food for thought ...

Joe Rohde on Instagram
[with a photo of a danger unstable cliffs sign at the edge of the cliffs over water]

207 likes
5d
  • joerohde9. You know that thing where people say, "We are in this far, we can't turn back now!" This is also a logical fallacy. A situation is bad regardless of how invested you are in how you got there. It is not necessarily true that the best thing to do is to keep going. This attitude comes from our fear of loss, which is just another irrational force acting upon decision-making. Sometimes, you really did walk 15 miles uphill only to find yourself in a pit of venomous snakes. The best thing to do is not to keep walking forward, it is to stop and turn around and walk out. Many sad war-stories about bad project experiences come from projects where people did not pull out when they saw perfectly clearly that the situation was really bad. Instead they said, "We are in this far!!! We can't turn back now!! Let's keep going." Nerp. #design#businesssuccess #businessplan#organization #creativity

Of course before any excuses are made ... when a few questioned ROL he CYA'd himself with this. Yeah, I believe it is thinking out loud. :teeth:

• joerohde nothing particular just admonition to be aware of for clear thinking

I was wondering what took you so long to post this. :o

Really hard not to read too much into his comments....

I was wondering what took you so long to post this. :o

Really hard not to read too much into his comments....

Haha, I am running behind on lots of stuff ( :sick: sick house since T-Day, just started Christmas shopping Tues, one person only wants a Bugs Bunny Hat ........... yeah that is in every store. Amazon don't fail me now, just ordered and should be here on time) and hadn't looked at Instagram in a couple weeks. So much scrolling. :crazy2:

I have to say I LOVE his Instagram, he lives an adventurous wandering life. I love the pictures and his stories. Probably my favorite. And while I am aggravated at the volume of money and time he expends (stockholder here) .... it is because he isn't a project manager, his own words "Artist, Designer, Writer, Executive, Speaker, sometime media personality" but with lots of control, probably too much.

Yes I get he's an incredible artist and has vision and I love his detail in AK .......... but you know most guests aren't going to notice that the rock on the left in Avatar is Pantone 732 instead of Pantone 443. :artist:

It truly was an interesting comment at this particular timing ...
... if nothing else sounds like there is an unnamed "project" that he has no hope for. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If someone already shared this, I'm sorry I didn't see it. I just saw a post from someone who met a CM on vacation in her hometown. She said the issue is that the floats loose their GPS signal when they go under the bridge and a couple of them crashed into each other. They cut a bunch out of the show and then it didn't make sense, so they are back to square one, as a PP said. So strange that they can't make this work. They seem to work miracles with technology usually.

Haha, I am running behind on lots of stuff ( :sick: sick house since T-Day, just started Christmas shopping Tues, one person only wants a Bugs Bunny Hat ........... yeah that is in every store. Amazon don't fail me now, just ordered and should be here on time) and hadn't looked at Instagram in a couple weeks. So much scrolling. :crazy2:

I have to say I LOVE his Instagram, he lives an adventurous wandering life. I love the pictures and his stories. Probably my favorite. And while I am aggravated at the volume of money and time he expends (stockholder here) .... it is because he isn't a project manager, his own words "Artist, Designer, Writer, Executive, Speaker, sometime media personality" but with lots of control, probably too much.

Yes I get he's an incredible artist and has vision and I love his detail in AK .......... but you know most guests aren't going to notice that the rock on the left in Avatar is Pantone 732 instead of Pantone 443. :artist:

It truly was an interesting comment at this particular timing ...
... if nothing else sounds like there is an unnamed "project" that he has no hope for. :rolleyes:

Totally agree. I follow him on Twitter which links to his Instagram (monologue, rant, education) posts. Pretty interesting stuff actually, although sometimes over the top for me.

But I did find that particular post a bit out of the norm from his usual posts.... certainly DID seem like something specific even though he said it wasn't....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter