Rumor: The Great Movie Ride closing for good?

Many of the movies featured aren't made by Disney either. However, they probably do need to license many of them, and since Universal uses JP at their park, it is unlikely that they could get a license.

My point was more that it is unlikely they would want to.

We just went to WDW in May, and I rode Great Movie 5 times in the 12 days that we were there. I rode it 2 times in one day, two different days also. My favorite scenes are the alien scene and the Indian Jones part when the hijacker gets out to steal the jewel. Just the stage setup for those two parts make it the best. The wizard of oz part is alright but, not my favorite. This ride, the people mover and haunted mansion are the first things that I have to do as soon as I get to WDW!!

I'm looking forward to seeing GMR closed. It's old, it smells like mildew in some spots, there seems to be a fair amount of broken stuff on the ride. With this large amount of space I'm excited to think what kind of cool new ride they could implement here.

GMR, like many attractions, could use a nice re-furb. Whether Disney deems that reasonable or appropriate is another matter entirely.

My only problem with it is that since the park opened 25 years ago, everything is exactly as it was on Day 1, with the sole exception of a few movies being added to the big finale reel (Pirates of the Caribbean, Finding Nemo, etc..). Although I don't think a movie made past 2003/4 is on that highlights reel.

I still love GMR for purely sentimental reasons, but objectively, I can see where it needs renovations in a bad way, or just outright be overhauled into another attraction all together.

My mom loves the movie ride.
Me.. it's okay. I do think it needs a bit of a refurb but not close for good. I would like to see more Disney movies (non animated) be depicted in the ride. I would hate to see the part with Robin Williams go by the waste side but would love to see a new video and perhaps a new version of the ride other than cowboys and gangsters.

With all of the new content that Disney has acquired (Marvel, Lucas, etc.), think of all of the content that they have to work with for a refresh? I'd really hate to see this ride go for good, as I think it is to Holywood Studios what Small World is to MK.

With all of the new content that Disney has acquired (Marvel, Lucas, etc.), think of all of the content that they have to work with for a refresh? I'd really hate to see this ride go for good, as I think it is to Holywood Studios what Small World is to MK.

Going through all the movies on the ride, they are all movie standards. It would be tough to remove anything from there, because all of them represent an iconic moment in film or a revolutionary step forward in filming technique and/or storytelling.

Although I would argue that the Tarzan section would be the most justifiable to remove. There are more than 200 movies with 'Tarzan' in the title (literally), and they just chose the most well-known version. I would also argue that it's main contribution to film was its timing, being one of the very earliest 'talkies.'

Going through all the movies on the ride, they are all movie standards. It would be tough to remove anything from there, because all of them represent an iconic moment in film or a revolutionary step forward in filming technique and/or storytelling.

Although I would argue that the Tarzan section would be the most justifiable to remove. There are more than 200 movies with 'Tarzan' in the title (literally), and they just chose the most well-known version. I would also argue that it's main contribution to film was its timing, being one of the very earliest 'talkies.'

I'm not here to argue that any of the movies aren't worth keeping. But what Disney has proven to us time and time again with regard to changing attractions is one of two philosophies: Either a ride will change minimally (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean, with the addition of Johnny Depp), but it will still remain recognizable, or they will destroy it completely (i.e. Imagination, or what I fear to be coming soon to Maelstrom). If my vote were to count, I'd rather them remove a few scenes and "refresh" the ride with new ones as opposed to the alternative...

I really enjoy this ride. I am not a fan of HS, so this is one of the rides I do enjoy. I hope they just refurbish it and not close it for good. I am sad my youngest dd didn't get to ride Malestrom before it was closed for good.

I won't miss American Idol. I won't miss the current incarnation of Backlot. But I would miss the Great Movie Ride. Hopefully it makes it to the new year.

This would break my heart. Is the theory Hollywood Studios would just go, a Hollywood movie park? Not a studio? I have to say, I really enjoy the 1930s-1940s Hollywood vibe of the park, and my favorites are The Great Movie Ride, and The Magic of Disney Animation.

Sure I won't argue that The Great Movie ride, could update a few movies, and no I am not as a 32 year old familiar with a couple of the movies beyond the name, but personally I feel like that adds to the ....throwback to the era the park vibe.

I hope this doesn't go away. But attendance will dictate if it stays I assume.

I listened to a podcast last night from Touring Plans and they said TGMR is definitely going away. Seems strange that none of the original opening day attractions will be in the park anymore. He also said that the Indy show is staying but I thought it was confirmed to be closing after December. That makes me wonder if Star Wars is getting put on the back burner again and they are doing Pixar first. ugh.

This would break my heart. Is the theory Hollywood Studios would just go, a Hollywood movie park? Not a studio? I have to say, I really enjoy the 1930s-1940s Hollywood vibe of the park, and my favorites are The Great Movie Ride, and The Magic of Disney Animation.

Sure I won't argue that The Great Movie ride, could update a few movies, and no I am not as a 32 year old familiar with a couple of the movies beyond the name, but personally I feel like that adds to the ....throwback to the era the park vibe.

I hope this doesn't go away. But attendance will dictate if it stays I assume.

I agree with you completely. Yes, the ride is in need of an update. However, the thing I love about Hollywood Studios is how it makes me feel like I'm stepping into the past, into the Golden Age of Hollywood. There will still be those elements in the park, but I feel like TGMR was the icing on the cake.

Plus, TGMR was the reason I got into old movies. As a kid, I always loved the Singin' In The Rain scene, and that was the reason I bought the movie and watched it for the first time. From there, my passion escalated. I guess the ride just has a special places in my heart. The Backlot Tour I can live without. But I would definitely be very sad to see TGMR go any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter