Rumor: The Great Movie Ride closing for good?

Where did you hear American Idol? I'd be surprised, given that its on a rival network. Plus they could EASILY do any American Idol show as a Hanna Montana or High School Musical show which would save them money on the rights.

Here's a link to a site with all the news. http://www.wdwmagic.com/americanidol.htm I was also surprised when I heard the "American Idol" name associated with Disney. But this attraction will draw crowds

While entering the Great Big Movie Ride lobby, I saw a man walking out of the door with a cast member costume on. So, I decided to ask him if the Great Big Movie Ride was Closing for updates or for good. He said he has worked at Disney World for 20 years, and he has worked at the Great Big Movie Ride from the time it has opened til' now. Disney usually tells him and a couple other people who help the park move swiftly what updates will be at that park. He was never told that, and that Disney has said that they are not updating the ride. It is there for good (for now, unless other plans are made)! So I hope this news will relive everyone! LOL! I am going to Disney World in 26 days, so if anyone wants me to check this out again or check anything else out, I would be happy to!

Tammy

:pooh:
:ccat: :simba:
:donald: :stitch:
:mickeybar
:sulley: :eeyore:
:tigger: :figment:
:tink: :goofy:
:hmghost:
:smickey: :stitch2:

15 times I have gone to Disney World.... and I am only 12! LOL!

that's great news for all of us.

dhs would just not bee the same with out that atraction.

btw, the great moovie ride will do.

I would say that Narnia is known as a lot more blatant and well known Christian Allegory than Tolken is known as christian allegory.

I guess its more later in the series that the Christian Allegory REALLY becomes blatant... the last book is riddled with it... and much much worse, its TERRIBLY insulting christian allegory. I have strong christian beliefs but the last book I find fairly insulting... more Left Behind than Tolkien. I actually wonder how DISNEY will do the last book... if they will include the parts with the older sister or rewrite it to make it more ...Disney Friendly... as they did with Hunchback.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate it when they change elements in books when those books are made into movies, tv shows, etc. JUST because they are worried about offending some certain segments of people.

The Hunchback is a little different. Obviously Victor Hugo was not targeting young kids (or even pre-teens) in his novel. All the main characters (Esmeralda, Quasimodo, Frollo) die pretty gruesome deaths. I mean, Quasimodo starves to death laying on Esmeralda's grave. The novel was a statement to preserve the Notre Dame Cathedral the way it was, and not modernize it. Hugo was against this. ;) Just a little FYI for those that want the GMR modernized.

When Disney made Hunchback they made an animated movie geared towards young kids and had to change A LOT of the story to get a happy Disney ending.

The Narnia novels on the other hand target pre-teens and teenagers. I'd like to see the Disney movies remain true to the original stories.

dont get me wrong i love the great movie ride but i wish it would be updated a little...
i have no suggestions:confused3 on what movies but change would be nice

I'm not sure how these rumors get started but here is my assessment for what its worth:

1) GMR is original to the park and in my opinion is the essence of what a movie park should be about.....the classics.
2) The Chinese Theater lookalike is (or at least was) the centerpiece of the park and most will agree that the big hat needs to come down or be moved.
3) Exhibits are constantly changed in the queue line so the ride gets constant attn and updates and there is almost always something new to look at.
4) Most important: The ride had a significant cleaning and makeover to the final scene about three years ago so I don't think Disney would come in and gut or scrap a building with that much updating and time/funds invested.

That being said.......get in......all set?......ready when you are C.B.!:thumbsup2

GMR does need an update but it's still a cute ride to ride. I ride it whenever we go to DHS.

But a sidenote, people need to chill out. Everyone has opinions, we can share them in a calm manner @.@.

Favorite room for me: Wizard of Oz (Indy runs a close second)
Least favorite for me: Alien

This is not to say that there are some Alien fans out there that would scoff at my particular taste. Disney is about appealing to all ages and all tastes. If they spent their time and $ changing things to meet specific likes and dislikes, most of the rides would be in constant rehab!!

I think only if an entire ride is outdated or in a bad state of repair then it would be on the auction block. For instance on the backlot tour the house facades were starting to deteriorate, Alien Encounter didn't have the Disney appeal and had lost its popularity, 20,000 Leagues was in disrepair and would have taken major bucks to fix, Skyway chairlift was removed for safety reasons. Anybody got anything else?

In my WDW guidebook, there are these "Disney Insider" boxes and they said that GMR will likely be updated, and the Alien scene and one other one would most likely be taken out and replaced with a more modern movie, and the rest of the attraction would get newer animatronics.

I don't like that. Alien is my favorite scene in the whole ride because of the suspense, and the Sigourney Weaver animatronic is pretty cool in my opinion. It's a great movie. I'd rather them take out the Tarzan scene - I mean, no one watches that movie (the old live action one) anymore, especially since the Disney one came out. They could replace that part with a more modern Disney movie.

I think that the Tarzan scene should be taken out (if I had to pick one), and I would say the Broadway scene but that's a good way to start the ride. Perhaps Signin' in the Rain - it's a classic, but I don't even know the name of the movie and I doubt any kids these days know. Tarzan's my least favorite.

In my WDW guidebook, there are these "Disney Insider" boxes and they said that GMR will likely be updated, and the Alien scene and one other one would most likely be taken out and replaced with a more modern movie, and the rest of the attraction would get newer animatronics.

I don't like that. Alien is my favorite scene in the whole ride because of the suspense, and the Sigourney Weaver animatronic is pretty cool in my opinion. It's a great movie. I'd rather them take out the Tarzan scene - I mean, no one watches that movie (the old live action one) anymore, especially since the Disney one came out. They could replace that part with a more modern Disney movie.

I think that the Tarzan scene should be taken out (if I had to pick one), and I would say the Broadway scene but that's a good way to start the ride. Perhaps Signin' in the Rain - it's a classic, but I don't even know the name of the movie and I doubt any kids these days know. Tarzan's my least favorite.

Whoah, two year old thread, revived! Other than that.... Id have to agree and disagree. I agree about keeping Alien and possibly replacing Tarzan but to propose the dismemberment of Singin' in the Rain is not good to me. I'm a 17 year old teenage guy and I know and still enjoy that musical.

Honestly, updating any of the ride wouldn't really keep its purpose, a homage to landmarks. If Disney were to suddenly incorporate Pirates, Prince of Persia, Narnia (I know they don't have rights anymore), and every other modernish movie they've produced the ride wouldn't have the same purpose its meant to have.

So to go in one full circle, the ride is still good as is, I mean we can assume that people don't enjoy certain movies, but there'll always be those who still do. HS is changing in recent years but one thing I'm hoping they keep is that classy Hollywood feel as opposed to the more modern trashy Hollywood existing today.

Whoah, two year old thread, revived! Other than that.... Id have to agree and disagree. I agree about keeping Alien and possibly replacing Tarzan but to propose the dismemberment of Singin' in the Rain is not good to me. I'm a 17 year old teenage guy and I know and still enjoy that musical.

Honestly, updating any of the ride wouldn't really keep its purpose, a homage to landmarks. If Disney were to suddenly incorporate Pirates, Prince of Persia, Narnia (I know they don't have rights anymore), and every other modernish movie they've produced the ride wouldn't have the same purpose its meant to have.

So to go in one full circle, the ride is still good as is, I mean we can assume that people don't enjoy certain movies, but there'll always be those who still do. HS is changing in recent years but one thing I'm hoping they keep is that classy Hollywood feel as opposed to the more modern trashy Hollywood existing today.

They could replace the synchronized swimmer scene, and the majority of the "back alley". Nothing happens with the simmers, and James Cagney is the only cool part of that whole long room with the alley.

I say update Alien to Aliens and make it the entire ride.
Just make an open top version of the tank from the movie and have it crashing through walls and Aliens roaring to the music from the tank seen. Marines blowing through ammo in the background and have flame throwers going off everywhere popping eggs. Aliens jumping out at you at modern animitronic speed with queens and loaders taking swipes at you as you pass. Hell, add guns for the riders and make it like a Space Ranger Spin ride so you can score and blast Aliens.
AH, if they did that my life would be complete. I would ride that dang thing every day if I could.
Let me guess though, Disney does not own the rights to Aliens and just Alien for some quirky reason?
"What are we gonna do now man, what are we going to do now!"
"Why don't you put her in charge?!"
"Hey Vasquez, has any one mistaken you for a man?"
"We're in some real pretty sh%t now!"
"Quit screwing around! That wasn’t funny man..."
"Ya, but it's a dry heat."

Over 2.5 years, and a thread about what a boat captain said is reawakened...sigh... :)

As for those "insider" boxes in the guidebooks - they get their sources the same as everyone else. And the info ranges from pure bunk to actual ideas that may get implemented. Far too many blue sky ideas escape the rooms they are supposed to be contained in, and then get reported as done deals...

Then again, Disney itself has announced quite a few done deals that they've backed off on...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter