Rumor of future discounts

A better comparison would be to price out a disney deluxe with a Universal deluxe. Universals rack rates are 150-300 less than the rack rates of disney.

Very true! I did a price comparison between Universal Deluxe and Disney Deluxe. I couldn't believe how much cheaper Universal was before a discount. I did just receive in the mail from Universal a 40% off their resort discount. Makes it even more affordable.... just sayin'

The Rack Rates for Disney Hotels is outrageous.. "magic" aside, plop any one of them down in another part of the country & how much would you be willing to pay for the accomodations?

Take the discounts away & I for one will permanently end my own internal on/off site debate!
I'm with you sister! We have stayed at POP 3 times for FD;and stayed off site 3 times-the rooms off site were bigger,had kitchenette with full size fridge,microwave 2 burner stove top,2 queen beds in the bedroom,queen sofa bed in common area,and free breakfast for $79-$99 per night(stayed here all 3 times).Supplied up at Wal Mart on SR 535,and ate and drank like royalty for a week!(Did'nt cost us ANYWHERE near what WDW would for food and drink-$38 for lunch for our family of 4;$266 for lunches for the week-I think not.)That same money at Wal Mart fed us quite well!!;) So,we won't stop going to WDW,but they'll have to lower the room prices,or offer some kind of "incentive to get us,and I'm sure,many others,to keep those resorts full during off season.We have no problem staying off site!:goodvibes

I like staying on property. I have never used discounts in the past. We rented DVC points. However, I was hoping for a discount this time. If we do not get one then we will stay off-site at where we can trade out time share week. On one trip we spent 5 nights at Disney and 3night a hilton grand vacations for $199 for 3nights and 4 days not per night ( we did have to sit through a sales pitch for 2 hours but we saved so so much money.

What I feel is that all those various unpredictable discounts could just go away and I wouldn't care that much.

I so agree with this and not just as applied to Disney. I am sick and tired of punch cards, Groupons, reward programs, etc., and I've largely abandoned them. If I pay a bit more for my meal than the guy at the next table, so be it. But here I am, checking the boards, calling Disney and watching my email, waiting for a Disney PIN. I'm tired of the games--just give me a reasonable deal and call it a day already!

OK, I am posting this here and on the October Code Watch, so if you read it twice I apologize.

*****RUMOR ALERT*****

I called and spoke to Tab (don't you just love the names they choose?) last night. I called because, quite seriously, I am considering cancelling my Disney reservation for POR and switching to an off-site hotel. There are pros and cons associated with this, but, considering I can save more than $1,000 if I stay off site, I'm considering it.

Anyway.....I asked if I loose my trip insurance should I cancel. He said yes (which I already knew). And then he asked why I was considering cancelling. I told him because I can save much more money by staying off site and, yes, I know it doesn't have the Disney perks, but Disney hasn't released any discounts or free dining for October yet.

Then he said something that made me very happy: "Do you think you can hold off cancelling your current reservation for two weeks?" I said, well, it's not like the rate at the hotel is going to change, so yeah, I guess, but why? He told me that it was his opinion that discounts for October would be released in about two weeks.....six weeks prior to the dates of travel. We talked about how Disney was cutting back on discounts and he said that's where this six weeks out thing is coming from. He agreed that Disney was cutting back, but that does not mean cutting out....that they are just releasing the discounts and offers so much closer to the dates of travel than they have in the past.

I hope this makes everyone a little happier today (I know I went to sleep happier) and that our codes are released soon!!!!!!

Then he said something that made me very happy: "Do you think you can hold off cancelling your current reservation for two weeks?" I said, well, it's not like the rate at the hotel is going to change, so yeah, I guess, but why? He told me that it was his opinion that discounts for October would be released in about two weeks.....six weeks prior to the dates of travel. We talked about how Disney was cutting back on discounts and he said that's where this six weeks out thing is coming from. He agreed that Disney was cutting back, but that does not mean cutting out....that they are just releasing the discounts and offers so much closer to the dates of travel than they have in the past.

I don't know. Seems like Disney is playing a game of chicken with guests. If you can just wait long enough... we might give you a discount. Not always the smartest game to play, especially when you have fanatics that are planning trips over a year out. Those people might not feel like waiting until six weeks before their travel date and go ahead and book offsite accomodations (that have to be paid in full 8 weeks before travel if we're talking about renting a condo/townhome/pool house).

I hope you October people get your discount, but I also hope Disney rethinks their pricing. To me, this isn't about discounts. It's about pricing fairly to begin with. Spending $350/night for a family suite is ridiculous when I think of how much that $350 could get me offsite or in another vacation spot.

That's what I was thinking BrerMama. If that ends up being true then I'd have to wait until the end of October to find out if there's a discount for December. That's way too close for my liking and I'm already getting anxious about making sure EVERYTHING is taken care of next month at the latest. :headache:

I am hopeful as well there will be a discount for october. as our vacation draws nearer the price of our actual vacation is becoming harder to swallow especially in years past we have received 40% off 4 for 3 etc. With disney taking back so much recently its hard to pay the full rate..here is to hoping..I will not be making the mistake of not booking the bounceback rate this time around.

I don't know. Seems like Disney is playing a game of chicken with guests. If you can just wait long enough... we might give you a discount. Not always the smartest game to play, especially when you have fanatics that are planning trips over a year out. Those people might not feel like waiting until six weeks before their travel date and go ahead and book offsite accomodations (that have to be paid in full 8 weeks before travel if we're talking about renting a condo/townhome/pool house).

I hope you October people get your discount, but I also hope Disney rethinks their pricing. To me, this isn't about discounts. It's about pricing fairly to begin with. Spending $350/night for a family suite is ridiculous when I think of how much that $350 could get me offsite or in another vacation spot.

I agree with you completely, believe it or not. I am one of those people who does plan a year out (I have to...I'm the CFO of my company and can't just "take time off" as I see fit). However, since I am a number cruncher, I have been researching alternative places to stay. The house we rented in 2006 and 2007 is no longer available because the gentleman sold it, but I am finding quite a lot of accomdations that are available at a more reasonable rate than Disney's rack rate.

I do think it sucks that Disney is waiting until six weeks or so from the dates of travel to release the deals, but I also understand it from a business point of view. They fill the most they can at rack and then offer the discounts....simple business practice. But, as a consumer, it sucks.

I am hopeful as well there will be a discount for october. as our vacation draws nearer the price of our actual vacation is becoming harder to swallow especially in years past we have received 40% off 4 for 3 etc. With disney taking back so much recently its hard to pay the full rate..here is to hoping..I will not be making the mistake of not booking the bounceback rate this time around.

Tab actually did discuss the 4 for 3 deal.....he mentioned that was an example of the "deep" discounts that Disney will no longer make available.

If that ends up being true then I'd have to wait until the end of October to find out if there's a discount for December. That's way too close for my liking and I'm already getting anxious about making sure EVERYTHING is taken care of next month at the latest. :headache:

I feel this way exactly!!! I am planning for December and I do not want to play the wait and see game much longer... There are so many chances to wonder if they will do SOMETHING that may help me... as I am a FL resident, and passholder... and still nothing.
For me personally, this is all just becoming very stressful, as I want to book, but in no way can afford the rack rate for our trip, (which happens to be a surprise for my sister returning home after a 18 months in Iraq!!). I want to be sure to get the resort and room I know she would enjoy most, but am fearful to book it now and wait for the discount later... as many others have posted Disney often offers discounts in order to fill rooms, so booking now would only hurt the chances of an offer.
Sigh... if this "6 week" rumor is true, then it just makes things that much more frustrating!!! :sad1:

I agree with Disney playing chicken and that is why I have not booked any rooms at WDW yet. I do not want to fill up a room that "they" think "they" don't have to give a discount. My airfare is booked for Dec. ($82 each way from Long Island to MCO) could not let that go but, if Disney is playing a game of chicken they will lose (with my family anyway) I am fully prepared to book (glup) off site if need be which will also give me a reason to check out Universal, Sea World ect. something I never had any desire to do when I am in the "Disney bubble" it breaks my heart but unless Disney "blinks first" I'm getting a 5 bedroom pool house for a lot less money then one hotel room will cost me at WDW. Have I gotten spoiled by discounts? Yes but, Disney's pricing for a family a 5 is just plain insane.

Boy that felt good to get that off my chest! :rotfl:

I agree with Disney playing chicken and that is why I have not booked any rooms at WDW yet. I do not want to fill up a room that "they" think "they" don't have to give a discount. My airfare is booked for Dec. ($82 each way from Long Island to MCO) could not let that go but, if Disney is playing a game of chicken they will lose (with my family anyway) I am fully prepared to book (glup) off site if need be which will also give me a reason to check out Universal, Sea World ect. something I never had any desire to do when I am in the "Disney bubble" it breaks my heart but unless Disney "blinks first" I'm getting a 5 bedroom pool house for a lot less money then one hotel room will cost me at WDW. Have I gotten spoiled by discounts? Yes but, Disney's pricing for a family a 5 is just plain insane.

Boy that felt good to get that off my chest! :rotfl:

moepanz - I have finally come around to totally agreeing with you! While I haven't booked airfare yet since our fall dates are somewhat flexible but instead of booking a room at Disney like I would have in the past in hope of switching to a discount, we are just going to see what happens in August. If nothing decent comes out we'll either book offsite or maybe not even go! And it's not just prices for a family it's for anyone. We are horrified by deluxe prices for ordinary rooms in a themed resort.

Good luck to us all!

If they're releasing discounts 6 weeks prior to travel, then that's 42 days prior. Well after the 45 day cutoff to cancel/change packages without penalty. Maybe they're trying to discourage people from booking packages in advance if they won't go anyway without a discount.
Gives them a better sense of who is really coming.

If they're releasing discounts 6 weeks prior to travel, then that's 42 days prior. Well after the 45 day cutoff to cancel/change packages without penalty. Maybe they're trying to discourage people from booking packages in advance if they won't go anyway without a discount.
I'm wondering if the CM meant 2 weeks in general, as opposed to 2 weeks because they were planning on October. That would fall in line with the rumors about mid-August discounts coming to light. Maybe? :confused3

I think there may be room for debate in terms of what value Disney is offering on site guests.

Disney may feel that the transportation offers several hundred dollars worth of value to guests, but...

1) that value may be difficult to quantify since the WDW transportation system itself (with exception of Magical Express) is free to anyone who has a park ticket. You don't know who is getting on the bus or monorail with you. Are they an on site guest, an off site guest or a local day visitor? Who's to say?
2) If you could quantify the worth of the transportation in dollars, it would be a set amount, regardless of whether you stay at a value, moderate or deluxe resort. Family A who is staying at a value gets the same transportation benefit as Family B who is staying at a deluxe. But Family B is paying much more money for their stay. So the proportion of the benefit is different.
3) Some on site guests elect to rent a car, or have their own car, and don't use Disney transportation, or they may stay at a resort within walking distance to a park.
4) Each family values transportation options differently based on time spent and effort spent. Some families don't mind spending more time on transportation because they don't have to think about directions and parking. Other families feel that their time is very precious and wouldn't want to waste time on some transportation options. So, it may not matter how Disney would value the transportation, because in the end the family decides whether, and how much, they value the transportation.

My opinion is that the value of the transportation is very difficult (if not impossible) to quantify since there are so many variables unique to each family's vacation.

I also think it is difficult to predict future vacation plans of families. Plans are so dependent on schedules, employment, overall economy and, again, scads of reasons that are unique to each family. What is important to remember, however, is that vacations are optional. In addition, there are so many vacation choices these days.

From a business perspective, a company is right to try to maximize its profits and lower its costs. The thing is, businesses should remember that a family is also right to lower its costs and maximize its returns. When the two sides feel that they have a mutual interest in doing business, then it's great. When they don't, that's fine too. Each side has choices.

Waiting until 6 weeks to offer discounts probably is an automatic disqualifier for many prospective guests. By 6 weeks prior to a vacation, affordable airfares may be difficult to find. Without affordable airfare, the vacation will be a no go for many families even with discounted rooms because the airfare will be so expensive. Not to mention that some folks are required to give their jobs more notice than 6 weeks for a vacation. This is why what looks good on paper to accountants does not always translate well in the real world.

One final thought about discounts...I think it's flawed to offer deeper discounts to international guests than domestic guests. There are domestic guests who might go with the deeper discount, and why not make money from them. In addition, there are many, many domestic families who, like international families, have the added burden of airfare. If the discounts are offered to international families to entice them to come and as an offset to the airfare, it would make sense to offer same discounts to domestic guests. JMO.

I don't think it's to discourage people from booking. I think they want the change fee. They are probably thinking, "Hey, if we are going to give you a discount, we are at least gonna get $50 out of you for giving you a deal".:thumbsup2

I don't think it's to discourage people from booking. I think they want the change fee. They are probably thinking, "Hey, if we are going to give you a discount, we are at least gonna get $50 out of you for giving you a deal".:thumbsup2

First off, the change fee isn't likely to apply to too many people. If they announced in mid-August, it would only affect people booked right at the start of October. And, if there is a mid-August announcement, it may include November/December dates, or even 2012 dates.

So collecting the $50 may certainly be part of the logic, but not the whole picture.

I'm sure Disney could give you the full curve of when most people book. But an educated guess would be that most people don't book over a year in advance, and most people don't wait till the last 45 days either.

And while the people who read this board may book, and then wait to apply a discount --- The majority of consumers aren't going to "re-book" after they have made their reservation. For a family that books 90 days out... They may never even notice a discount offered at the 45 day mark.

So Disney's logic is fairly easy to follow. They want to book as many rooms as possible at rack rate. If they offer discounts too early, then some people willing to pay full price, will be collecting the discount.
Their hope is to obtain pretty decent occupancy with no discounts, and then offer a last-minute discount to add a few more bookings. And yes, collect $50... or discourage changes, from people who were already booked.

If this is fully their logic, then it's unlikely we will see 2012 discounts for a while.
On the other hand, they may offer 2012 discounts early, just like last year ---
Following the logic of, encouraging early booking to lock in a pretty decent occupancy.... And then hold off on discounts when the majority of people tend to book. With another wave of discounts at the last minute, if necessar.

Smitch425 may be right about the change fee logic. The CM didn't say discounts would be announced in two weeks, he said OCTOBER discounts might be announced six weeks out. Following that timetable, November discounts would come out in mid-September. Certainly, you would think anyone who will cancel a reservation if they don't get a discount will have done so that close to the travel dates. Gives them a better idea of who is coming regardless of deals. And just like a cruise ship, the closer you get to the date, the better the rate gets for the rooms they have lots of. For those resorts near capacity, I wouldn't expect them to be included in the offer. So you may get a deal by waiting, but it may not be the hotel or offer (%off,FD, etc) you wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter