Rumor of future discounts

havoc315

DIS Veteran
So I heard this second hand, from someone who works within Disney's finance unit. Take with a grain of salt, but it is fairly credible.

It is public knowledge that Disney wants to wean the public off discounts.
Their finance team has apparently been running models of various scenarios but all scenarios involve a dramatic scaling back of discounts.
Within the assumptions they are working with, are that Disney value resorts are already a better value than off-site hotels, even at rack rate, when Disney-provided transportation is factored in.
Supposedly, there has been intense scrutiny of free dining discounts, especially at value hotels -- For a family of 4, who is paying around $95 for a room, why give a $140 "discount" in the form of free dining. Disney executives are supposedly confident that when those prospective guests look at off-site comparisons, they will find that staying onsite at Disney is still econimically attractive.

While Disney knows that their deluxe resorts are priced far above the competition, they are concerned about undercutting themselves--- giving discounts to people who are willing to pay full price. They also see questions about the valuation of American currency, and are finding international guests more attractive for the deluxe resorts. Their models are suggesting that they will only have a small drop off in occupancy without American public discounts, which they can fill up with targeted discounting (PINs, international discounts, military discounts).

They are also looking closely at the "psychology" of the pricing. For example, in the past, they made the 4th+ days of their tickets ultra cheap, to change the psychology of the Disney traveler -- to expect a week long Disney experience, instead of a 2 day experience. They believe they were successful, so they are now raising the ticket prices on those 4+ days.
Similarly, they are worried they may have gone too far in creating expectations of discounts with the public. And they really want to be able to charge full price when they open the Fantasy Land expansion. So, they are considering whether it is worthwhile to go through a bit of short-term pain, to wean the public off discounts. Accept lower occupancy temporarily, with the hope that the public will start booking again, after they realize discounts aren't coming.

Finally, *if* they do offer discounts.... they are examining newly packaged discounts that will not actually cut significantly into revenue, and will continue to change buying habits. The "memory package" was a partial roll-out of this philosophy -- Encouraging people to buy the Photo Books, in the hopes that they will like them and continue to buy them in the future. They have also examined discounts that require purchase of Park Hoppers, Water Park tickets.

Anyway, take all this with a grain of salt.

I do think people have relied too heavily on discounts and I think some people think they deserve them. I myself have taken advantage of some of them but never expected them. Renting points is another great option which we've done a few times. There's never been a free dining pin for when we go.
I've always been surprised that Disney has offered the free dining.

You know, I'm hoping for best but expecting the worst. The question I have is this, however. If their intenton is rolling back discounts, why did they offer free dining twice for September? Was if for the memories package? Or because they recognize that they didn't fill those rooms the first time, in addition to not filling them with a great promo like kids free, which was out for quite a lot time.

Disney will probably always be able to fill rooms, because there will always be people willing to pay whatever they charge.

As for me and mine, we are already fed up with the constant ups in price and downs in value for the money.

We have a FD room reserved for Sep but will almost certainly be cancelling it.
I don't like the way they tacked on that stupid photobook.

We got one a few years ago and were NOT impressed. So being forced to buy it to get FD didn't sit well with us.

We are finding plenty of off-site deals for houses and condos that will actually be cheaper than the FD promo.

Not to mention we'll have separate bedrooms, real tv stations, a kitchen, and multiple bathrooms!!!

So I guess, do what you want Disney, but you're already losing people. JMO

I have heard about the scaling back of discounts offered.
Free dining has filled up the restaurants & the food/service has suffered some. Value resorts are at a great rate already & it does seem like too good of a deal to also get free table service as well. It makes more sense that they offer quick dining free to values now. I also wouldn't be surprised if they offered free dining less during the year as well. I understood why they offered it in Sept, but why expand it to other parts of the year?
I myself do like getting room discounts for our vacations, but if they won't be offered anymore, I'm glad I have my Disney Visa rewards dollars to use.

I can understand wanting to cut back on discounts. Personally, I will never pay full price for a Disney vacation. If I can rent DVC points at a good price, I'll do that. If I can't, and everything is full price and rack rate, then we'll just vacation somewhere else. :goodvibes

I think the price on the Value resorts is okay, but we vacation in value seasons, so the last time I checked they were under $100 rack rate. The only one I've stayed at is Pop, and I'm really not too crazy over it. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to stay there at rack rate or not. I know I'd never pay rack rate for the Mods or Deluxes if I wasn't getting some other type of discount (like free dining) to offset the cost.

It definitely makes sense.
I strongly believe there will be a discount offered for the Oct-Dec. months - it may be less than before but there will be something....decreasing discounts is very different from going cold turkey!:eek:

Only time will tell:worship:

I'm not of the "I have to have a discount or I won't go" mentality. I will book at full price, if full price is fair. For us December is the only time that works for a Disney vacation. We will never stay at a value so that pricing is irrelevant. When you factor in the pricing of Mod/Deluxe resorts, the park tickets, and ridiculous food pricing the overall cost is waaaay over market value. So they can wean me off of discounts, but they will have to lower their prices to get my business. This isn't about being able to afford it, it's about not getting ripped off.

Disney if you are reading this its real simple: We are going to Florida for 14 days this December. We love Disney and it is our first choice. Discount or lower your Mod/Deluxe prices buy 40% or have a free dining promo (not CS, real dining) and we will stay there 14 nights and spend 90% of $10,000 or so at your parks, resorts, and restaurants. If you don't we will stay elsewhere and spend most of are time seeing the other attractions such as Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Space Center, Ripleys, Wonder Works, Legoland, etc....there are lots of other things to do and LOTS of cheaper and in some cases better hotels to stay at. I can get a 30% discount at any of the 3 Universal Hotels and lots of deals at other nearby places.

The biggest flaw in Disneys thinking is that their current pricing is fair market value.

You know, I'm hoping for best but expecting the worst. The question I have is this, however. If their intenton is rolling back discounts, why did they offer free dining twice for September? Was if for the memories package? Or because they recognize that they didn't fill those rooms the first time, in addition to not filling them with a great promo like kids free, which was out for quite a lot time.

The "memory" package makes it a smaller discount. Much smaller, for some people. (For example, 2 adults, staying the minimum number of nights in a value resort--- the photobook dramatically lessens the discount).

But also, September "hurricane season" has always been a slow month, and they offered discounts for September, even before the "Great Recession."

Within the assumptions they are working with, are that Disney value resorts are already a better value than off-site hotels, even at rack rate, when Disney-provided transportation is factored in.

Disney executives are supposedly confident that when those prospective guests look at off-site comparisons, they will find that staying onsite at Disney is still econimically attractive.

That's the flaw in their thinking. I've got a family of 5, my son will be 18 and the girls are 16 and 12. Our best option is 2 rooms at a value and there's no way that paying over $350/night for those 2 rooms (or a family suite at ASMu) is in any way a better value than getting a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house a few minutes from the World. It isn't at all economically attractive.

My own kids are very much Disney onsite believers. They are willing to stay in 1 room at Riverside if that's what it takes to make onsite attractive to my husband and I. I just can't stomach the prices they want for one room as compared to offsite options. If we don't get a significant discount, we're going to have to go offsite. If enough families make that decision, maybe Disney will see that they are pricing themselves out of the market.

Well with all the new costs and my paycheck averaging about 800 less a month than it did 2 years ago I've decided to go elsewhere unless I do get a discount of some sort. paying over 3k for rooms, tickets and meals is just not appealing to me when I think of other places I could see I HAVEN"T been to yet!!!! SO far no room discount or free dining for my stay in Oct. so it may be the last I take my crew anyway...may come back solo later. Paying for 4 to go on a limited single income just doesn't make it easy although I adore Disney and watching my DGD's face light up!!!...oh well 28 times since 2k I think its time!!!

Without a sizeable discount off overinflated rates, there is absolutely no way we would have stayed on site. While we will visit Florida in the future, without a carrot such as free dining or a sizeable room discount, we will happily stay off site in a condo, maybe visit the parks one or two days and take the rest of our dollars elsewhere. Think Busch Gardens, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center and such. We can have lots of fun other places.

That's the flaw in their thinking. I've got a family of 5, my son will be 18 and the girls are 16 and 12. Our best option is 2 rooms at a value and there's no way that paying over $350/night for those 2 rooms (or a family suite at ASMu) is in any way a better value than getting a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house a few minutes from the World. It isn't at all economically attractive.

My own kids are very much Disney onsite believers. They are willing to stay in 1 room at Riverside if that's what it takes to make onsite attractive to my husband and I. I just can't stomach the prices they want for one room as compared to offsite options. If we don't get a significant discount, we're going to have to go offsite. If enough families make that decision, maybe Disney will see that they are pricing themselves out of the market.

$350 per night is because you are talking about 2 rooms. When just looking at 1 room... Over 5 nights, for example. They are estimating the value of the included Disney transportation at worth a few hundred dollars. Thus for cost, comparable off site would have to be in the $50 per night range.

The Rack Rates for Disney Hotels is outrageous.. "magic" aside, plop any one of them down in another part of the country & how much would you be willing to pay for the accomodations?

Take the discounts away & I for one will permanently end my own internal on/off site debate!

$350 per night is because you are talking about 2 rooms. When just looking at 1 room... Over 5 nights, for example. They are estimating the value of the included Disney transportation at worth a few hundred dollars. Thus for cost, comparable off site would have to be in the $50 per night range.

Well, I'm using 2 rooms because that's what I need. However, it's evident that Disney does not worry about families with more than the standard 2 children. Disney's thinking only works if you are a family of 4 staying less than a week. If you go longer than that, or more rooms than 1, it starts to fall apart.

And that's fine. I've got Universal tickets, and there's tons of other choices.

They also see questions about the valuation of American currency, and are finding international guests more attractive for the deluxe resorts. Their models are suggesting that they will only have a small drop off in occupancy without American public discounts, which they can fill up with targeted discounting (PINs, international discounts, military discounts).

This is what I'm most concerned about. In my last couple of trips, there were many international visitors - from all over the globe. Regardless of what's happening in the economy over here, there are plenty of folks overseas willing to pay rack rate - especially given how weak the dollar is now. We will pay rack for 2 out of our 4 nights in October. The rack rate is starting to inch up there with some nice resorts in the Caribbean, that are on a very different level than the deluxes.

We LOVE Disney. We've been going to Disney for years and we usually go during value season. Even at that Disney is expensive and we all know they know how to price gouge. So even when you are getting special perks, free dining, books, room discounts, it's still an expensive vacation for a family of four. Disney will lose most on us average smucks who will spend their 5k else where and get more bang for the buck. There are plenty of other places to visit in Florida and other places in this great old USA.:confused3

I will stay onsite and pay more...happily. When you factor in the costs for parking, which have gone up, and gas, which has gone up, and the hassle of driving to/from the parks...the extra $$ is worth it to me. Oh..and I live in Orlando and so it's easy for me to stay in my own house, use our own pool, watch our flat-screen TV, cook in our kitchen and use our own washer/dryer. There's no "magic" in that for me if I am on vacation and I want to be immersed when I am. I'm lucky, very lucky, to not have to factor in airfare. To each his own though and I don't fault anyone for wanting to stay offsite at a non-Disney resort, rent a home, etc. We all have to make decisions on how to spend our money and esp. discretionary income. As to international guests, they have gotten great discounts recently, so while they may be coming and staying longer, they are paying, in many cases, a much lower price than those of us in the US are able to get. The discounts, if offered, should be available for everyone. If there were generally good deals including fair resort pricing that people didn't have to "work" so hard for, I think the resorts would fill much faster and people would spend more money when they got there, and would book early vs. waiting for a discount.---Kathy

I'm glad they are considering getting rid of free dining. They turned the restaurants into junk. I feel rushed. The food is sub-par, and I cant stand when they come by with computers to take surveys of you when you are sitting, eating, waiting and paying. Everyone thinks they are owed something. Its a joke. If you cant afford to pay for your meals on vacation-you probably cant afford a vacation! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter