Rivers of Light --- Almost Ready for Prime Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but this show doesn't have animatronics and the construction has been complete since April. Everything now is being okayed in house by imagineering.
I realize it does not use animatronics, but I am pretty sure the barges communicate with each other, use GPS, etc. All those systems are probably contracted out to different companies to construct. Everything must work together before imagineering accepts it. Think of any electronics, car, etc. that you buy. Regardless of the name on the data plate, the parts are made by countless subcontractors and they all have to mesh and work together. I would think this show is the same way; it must work together per the specs and contract before final payments are distributed.

I wonder if FP seating will be in the rows in the back which appear to be less sloped than those in the front?

If those barges are still sitting in front of the seating area then the better seats will be higher up. The barges were view blocking and distracting.

Any rumors about a new nighttime parade for WDW?! I can't believe they have *nothing* planned??

Yes there are rumors.

Yes, but correct me if wrong, but a significant reason for the delay was believed due to the fact that certain technologies utilized by many of the set pieces were not functioning as intended and required reworking.
Yes that's is correct but it is my understanding that they are not involving any third parties in this currently.

I realize it does not use animatronics, but I am pretty sure the barges communicate with each other, use GPS, etc. All those systems are probably contracted out to different companies to construct. Everything must work together before imagineering accepts it. Think of any electronics, car, etc. that you buy. Regardless of the name on the data plate, the parts are made by countless subcontractors and they all have to mesh and work together. I would think this show is the same way; it must work together per the specs and contract before final payments are distributed.
No doubt but I have not see any third parties mentioned in this process. Everything is revolving around the technical directors in imagineering.

If those barges are still sitting in front of the seating area then the better seats will be higher up. The barges were view blocking and distracting.

Yes there are rumors.
Why do you keep talking about those barges? They are long gone they belong to Disneyland anyways.

I'm in WDW next week - arrive the night of the 9th & leave the afternoon of the 14th. Fingers crossed! I've never participated in a soft opening. Could someone describe how it would theoretically work for ROL? How would I sniff out that it was happening?

I'm in WDW next week - arrive the night of the 9th & leave the afternoon of the 14th. Fingers crossed! I've never participated in a soft opening. Could someone describe how it would theoretically work for ROL? How would I sniff out that it was happening?
There's several ways they could choose to do it.
For Jungle Book, they had 2 or 3 days of soft openings - they launched FP for those days (opening up the morning of the first day) and then performed the show without listing it in the times guides. I don't remember anything be mentioned at the show, but internally cast were reminded that it was a dress rehearsal, and some effects may not fully function and that the show may stop unexpectedly.

They could also just perform the show without FP or announcements. This is typically how rides are soft-opened - They just start letting people in line who happen to be walking by.

If there are performers in the isle like there was for Jungle Book, they will have to have some sort of announcement as guests were not allowed to enter/leave the theater once the show had started. If it's more like Fantasmic! where everything happens on the water, then they can let guests move around as they please

We will be there in a couple of weeks, and for planning purposes, I was just curious...

IF it were to open between now and then, or IF we were lucky enough to happen upon a soft opening, do we have any idea of what time the show might be??

We will be there in a couple of weeks, and for planning purposes, I was just curious...

IF it were to open between now and then, or IF we were lucky enough to happen upon a soft opening, do we have any idea of what time the show might be??

If there are 2 shows, then they would be at/just before closing, and about an hour before that.
I would check Fantasmic! times and use that a rough guideline since they are the same type of experience

My FP window for my January trip just opened today. It would be NICE to be able to plan an evening at AK while I'm doing all of my other FP's. It's impossible to figure out what to plan with this lack of information. This is the 3rd trip this year that they're killin' me with all of the delays and lack of accurate info. I had made my own touring calendar over the last month or so since Josh quit doing them and just yesterday I discovered that they'd changed EMH's on one of our days from AM at HS to PM at EP. The whole trip planning thing is BS anymore. So frustrating.

My FP window for my January trip just opened today. It would be NICE to be able to plan an evening at AK while I'm doing all of my other FP's. It's impossible to figure out what to plan with this lack of information. This is the 3rd trip this year that they're killin' me with all of the delays and lack of accurate info. I had made my own touring calendar over the last month or so since Josh quit doing them and just yesterday I discovered that they'd changed EMH's on one of our days from AM at HS to PM at EP. The whole trip planning thing is BS anymore. So frustrating.
You can plan an evening at AK. My FP day was yesterday. They still have the night safaris and tree awakenings. I would be very surprised if rivers of light isn't open before January.

You can plan an evening at AK. My FP day was yesterday. They still have the night safaris and tree awakenings. I would be very surprised if rivers of light isn't open before January.

If it's not up & running by then they should just ditch it. I know I can plan an evening but I'd rather be able to book my FP's around knowing what TIME the show will be. I don't want to have to go & re-do everything all over again.

If it's not up & running by then they should just ditch it. I know I can plan an evening but I'd rather be able to book my FP's around knowing what TIME the show will be. I don't want to have to go & re-do everything all over again.
I disagree that they should just ditch it. They need a nighttime show to keep people there at night.

I agree that they need a nighttime show to keep people there at night. We were there in August and it was dead when we left the safari and went to go watch the Tree of Life. It's not worth it to keep the place open for the numbers there were there. We are going in March and my son is going in December so I am hoping he can see it in December and us in March.

It just seems like it's turned into more trouble than it's worth. First, wasn't it supposed to open like last April or something? They stopped the Jungle Book show already I assumed in anticipation of this being ready & still there's nothing. Just saying that with all of the delays if it's not up & running by January it's turned into a true fiasco.

Last edited:
It just seems like it's turned into more trouble than it's worth. First, wasn't it supposed to open like last April or something? They stopped the Jungle Book show already I assumed in anticipation of this being ready & still there's nothing. Just saying that with all of the delays if it's not up & running by January it's turned into a true fiasco.

Trying to balance a night time experience on EE, eating at Tiffins and possibly trying to get a FP to see Rivers of Light in Mid-December has become more trouble than it's worth. We already have a Res. at Tiffins for 5:55 and the latest possible FP for Everest from 5 to 6, though juggling it all seems impossible. It wont be truly get dark until around 5:45, so our EE experience after dark wont be truly dark. Also at a signature restaurant like Tiffins we like to relax have a glass of wine or 2, which normally takes us an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours to finish. That would mean by 7:30 we'd probably be through. Unless they have a ROL show that starts at 8, which the current park closing time is 7PM, the whole thing seems impossible.

Trying to balance a night time experience on EE, eating at Tiffins and possibly trying to get a FP to see Rivers of Light in Mid-December has become more trouble than it's worth. We already have a Res. at Tiffins for 5:55 and the latest possible FP for Everest from 5 to 6, though juggling it all seems impossible. It wont be truly get dark until around 5:45, so our EE experience after dark wont be truly dark. Also at a signature restaurant like Tiffins we like to relax have a glass of wine or 2, which normally takes us an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours to finish. That would mean by 7:30 we'd probably be through. Unless they have a ROL show that starts at 8, which the current park closing time is 7PM, the whole thing seems impossible.
I really don't think that AK will close at 6,Disney has been bumping that close to at least 7 in the few weeks leading up to each new month .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter