• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort charging limit

spartankid34

DIS Veteran
I am familiar with/I have read about the charging limit varying depending on the resort class you are staying at. I believe it is $500 per day for value resorts?

If I have two rooms booked for a large family vacation, will the spending limit still be $500 per room. Is there anyway to link the rooms so the limit would be $1000? Just curious how to go about putting our daily spending on our MBs, and paying off with GCs.

I am familiar with/I have read about the charging limit varying depending on the resort class you are staying at. I believe it is $500 per day for value resorts?

If I have two rooms booked for a large family vacation, will the spending limit still be $500 per room. Is there anyway to link the rooms so the limit would be $1000? Just curious how to go about putting our daily spending on our MBs, and paying off with GCs.
I don't think Disney does what you're suggesting. They look at each room as a separate reservation, with corresponding rules regarding credit limit for charging per room. Best suggestion I have is to visit the lobby each evening or so (or morning) and pay down your daily charges with your gift cards.

I could link my own credit card to each room, and use each room's MBs for $500 worth of charging, correct. Then pay off each room with the GCs...theoretically giving us a $1000 daily limit? Thanks for the answers!

It is $500 per room, with the people using the magic bands for that room charging against that $500, but what happens is, once you reach the $500, the charges will stop going through, and you just call the resort and have them charge $500 to your card, and then you get another $500 charging limit (or if you pay it off with gift cards at the front desk they will reset your $500 limit as well).

I could link my own credit card to each room, and use each room's MBs for $500 worth of charging, correct. Then pay off each room with the GCs...theoretically giving us a $1000 daily limit? Thanks for the answers!

You can use GCs to pay off the room charges but be aware that you will probably want to do so every couple of days. There has been recent feedback - including my own personal experience - that charges are put through before your room limit is reached. Last December at CSR our limit was $1000. About half way through our trip our credit card was charged for our room folio which had only accrued about $600 at that point. We were then charged again at the end of our stay for whatever else we had charged - about $300 - which in total wouldn't have ever exceeded our room limit. It wasn't a problem for us because we planned to use our credit card but for someone wanting to use GCs it could have posed an unexpected issue. Others have reported similar experiences.

I have never been told that I have a limit. I do stay at a DVC resort, recently I stayed a week and charged all meals and shopping to my room. My total was over $1400. Maybe it varies by resort.

There isn't a limit. What you may be thinking of is the amount at which the resort will then put the charge through to your credit card company. Its $500 at Value, $1,000 at Moderates and $1,500 at deluxe resorts. When you hit that balance on your resort portfolio, they charge it to your credit card. You're not limited to just that amount (per day or per stay).

The charging limit is per room. Once you reach your limit your magic band is declined. They will call your resort and up your credit level. Disney is not going to say no to your money.

Very recent experience here! :) Just returned last Thursday night from a 10 day stay at BCV (we are DVC members). Your card does not get "declined"....the resort just puts the charge through.

On Day 5, my Visa was charged $1315.31. I did not know this (nor did I even care) until the next day, because I went down to check on our bill total because I wanted to apply two Disney gift card my class had given me :teacher:.....so at least for Deluxe resorts, your card gets charged right before hitting the $1500 amount.

Upon check-out, on Day 10, another $1042 was charged. After check-out, we finished the morning off at a character meal, and that was charged separately, as the final amount on our bill.

I agree that your card or MB will not be 'declined' once you hit the resort limit. They will just put a charge through to your credit card once you hit those limits ($500, $1000, $1500). I did have an experience where I was staying at CBR and they put the charge through before I hit the $1000 limit. However, they were able to pull the charge back and apply the gift cards I was wanting to use.

Ok things must have changed then since the last time it happened to me about a decade ago or so. But back then yes I did hit the limit one time, and the cashier at the gift shop called my resort and I told them it was ok to go ahead and charge the card and start a new limit. But true I haven't reached the limit since then, so they may have gotten smarter and have people or software watching the account to charge before that happens now, if that is what is occurring recently.

I agree that your card or MB will not be 'declined' once you hit the resort limit. They will just put a charge through to your credit card once you hit those limits ($500, $1000, $1500). I did have an experience where I was staying at CBR and they put the charge through before I hit the $1000 limit. However, they were able to pull the charge back and apply the gift cards I was wanting to use.

Exactly what happened to us. Not sure why they say the limit is $1000 if they put the charge through before that amount. For us it went through at $600. Go figure!

OP, if you want to use GCs, I would suggest going to the front desk every couple of days and use your GCs against whatever charges you have at that time. This is what we do and is not a big deal, and we were one that they had charged our card at just past the half-way mark and I had them reverse it so I could use my GCs.

Last edited:

My experience the week of 6/20/15 was different. We had 2 rooms and on 3 different occasions our MBs were declined for charges due to "over credit limit". The first time it happened in Mouse Gears and the CM there told me that the resort authorizes $200 per day and that something must be wrong with my credit card, so we leave Epcot go back to CBR and check, as it turned out they had no name associated with my CC and that was causing the charges to not go through (??), this was on Monday, we checked in on Saturday. so the CM at CBR fixed that issue. On Tuesday, in MK my BIL went to use his MB (in a different room and a different CC) and it was declined for the same reason, so this time he called CBR and they "fixed" it over the phone for him. On Thursday, it happened again at AK to me, this time when I went to CBR the CM told me that there was a block on my CC and to call my CC company. She gave me aprint out of my room charges so I check my CC account online and see that Disney put through the charges that day to my CC, so it wasn't blocked. Oh and that time the CM @ CBR told me that the address they had associated with my CC was the address of CBR so that was causing the issues.

The CM @ CBR also told me that even though you have $1000 limit for charging, the resort will run you charges when they get to $500. I was also planning to use GCs to pay off the room charge so it became increasingly difficult to do so since I had 6 people that I was paying for and we got to the $500 daily, so it meant alot of wasted time running to the front deak or concierge with gift cards.

Exactly what happened to us. Not sure why they say the limit is $1000 if they put the charge through before that amount. For us it went through at $600. Go figure!

The limit, which is really just a trigger point, depends on what type of resort you stay at. Also, if you were to buy tickets and charge those to your room, that charge will be processed immediately regardless of the trigger point.

The limit, which is really just a trigger point, depends on what type of resort you stay at. Also, if you were to buy tickets and charge those to your room, that charge will be processed immediately regardless of the trigger point.

Yes I know but this really wasn't what happened in our case. Our limit was $1000 for a moderate resort and the charges on our folio were just every day charges of food & merchandise - no tickets. We were surprised to see that charges were put through even though we had a significant amount remaining until we reached our charging limit. We wound up never even reaching our limit over the course of our stay which is why it is odd.

Spin off question...is there anyway to put your gift card amount on file instead of a credit card. Just have all these random thoughts in my head, I appreciate all the help I can get :-)

Spin off question...is there anyway to put your gift card amount on file instead of a credit card. Just have all these random thoughts in my head, I appreciate all the help I can get :-)

Nope. A credit card or debit card must be on file for charging to your room. You would have to go to the front desk to apply the gift card.

My experience the week of 6/20/15 was different. We had 2 rooms and on 3 different occasions our MBs were declined for charges due to "over credit limit". The first time it happened in Mouse Gears and the CM there told me that the resort authorizes $200 per day and that something must be wrong with my credit card, so we leave Epcot go back to CBR and check, as it turned out they had no name associated with my CC and that was causing the charges to not go through (??), this was on Monday, we checked in on Saturday. so the CM at CBR fixed that issue. On Tuesday, in MK my BIL went to use his MB (in a different room and a different CC) and it was declined for the same reason, so this time he called CBR and they "fixed" it over the phone for him. On Thursday, it happened again at AK to me, this time when I went to CBR the CM told me that there was a block on my CC and to call my CC company. She gave me aprint out of my room charges so I check my CC account online and see that Disney put through the charges that day to my CC, so it wasn't blocked. Oh and that time the CM @ CBR told me that the address they had associated with my CC was the address of CBR so that was causing the issues.

The CM @ CBR also told me that even though you have $1000 limit for charging, the resort will run you charges when they get to $500. I was also planning to use GCs to pay off the room charge so it became increasingly difficult to do so since I had 6 people that I was paying for and we got to the $500 daily, so it meant alot of wasted time running to the front deak or concierge with gift cards.

So frustrating! Seems silly to set a resort limit and then put through the charges well before that amount! :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter