Recent experiences subbing side for QS drink?

pittsburghmom

Mouseketeer
Ironing out our plans (we leave in 4 days!!) For example, I would like to order an entree at Flame Tree, but instead of getting a beverage, I would sub the French fries with pulled pork & cheese (has the ddp symbol). How do you word this to the cashier so they do not charge you for a snack credit when you want to sub your drink instead? Thanks!!

Just say, "I'd like to get <fill in the blank> in place of a drink for my dining plan meal, please".

Oh, and make sure to ask for a (free) cup of ice water while you're at it.

OP, I'm curious to know how you made out. I'm a water drinker so would like to swap out the drink as well. How did it go?

Wasn't aware that you could do this. Seems like a no brainer to swap the drink for a free cup of ice water and get a snack as a side no?

Just say, "I'd like to get <fill in the blank> in place of a drink for my dining plan meal, please".

Oh, and make sure to ask for a (free) cup of ice water while you're at it.

I like your proactive approach, still I wish I knew how widely the subbing is allowed.

I like your proactive approach, still I wish I knew how widely the subbing is allowed.

As far as I know, only Be Our Guest prohibits it, due to the way guests get drinks self-serve. The plan materials actually say you can make the substitution, and I never had any problems last time I went (Nov 2015).

As far as I know, only Be Our Guest prohibits it, due to the way guests get drinks self-serve. The plan materials actually say you can make the substitution, and I never had any problems last time I went (Nov 2015).

Perfect! Thanks.

I didn't realize that you had actually done the subbing, I thought you were just suggesting how to do it. After years of swearing I'd never do the dining plan, I'm finally doing it. I'll be curious to see how I like it when all is said and done!

Believe it or not, the most recent 2017 PDFs do NOT include this little perk. The asterisk and explanation have been removed. They left the possibility of getting something else for your TS dessert (which has rarely been done), but there is nothing on the QS meal entitlements. So, the swapping out of a drink for something else is definitely back up in the air.

Believe it or not, the most recent 2017 PDFs do NOT include this little perk. The asterisk and explanation have been removed. They left the possibility of getting something else for your TS dessert (which has rarely been done), but there is nothing on the QS meal entitlements. So, the swapping out of a drink for something else is definitely back up in the air.

I noticed that also, will be interested to hear peoples experience with subbing a drink for a snack soon.

Nooooooooooo!

1. I'm remembering why I swore I'd never do the dining plan.

2. It's not that I'm afraid I'll go hungry :rolleyes1 I'm just a water drinker so thought if I could sub the beverage that would be great.

Nooooooooooo!

1. I'm remembering why I swore I'd never do the dining plan.

2. It's not that I'm afraid I'll go hungry :rolleyes1 I'm just a water drinker so thought if I could sub the beverage that would be great.

You probably still can. I would think if this "perk" were indeed gone, we would have seen several rants about it by now. The silence would at least seem to say they are still allowing it. There is hope.

However, you may want to take another look at the menus and see if it is still worth it for you. If you can't sub, but have to get a bottle of water at each QS meal, can you still make it work?

I was literally coming in to post about this very subject. I prefer to drink water, so i was hoping to substitute an extra snack at some QS meals. (Especially at POP since we'll have refillable mugs and won't need that and another drink at meals.)

We hope to sub drinks for sides as well on our upcoming trip. Both of my girls and I are not drinking sodas.

When we were at Columbia in January, they would only allow a drink...no swap.. I had to use a snack credit for the soup.

When we were at Columbia in January, they would only allow a drink...no swap.. I had to use a snack credit for the soup.

That does not bode well. Guess we're on a wait and see for this. It also makes me wonder if the QS to 2 or 3 snack exchange will quietly go away as well.

I would love to hear others experiences however ours were not positive. We were only allowed to substitute at our resort Roaring Forks at Wilderness Lodge. They allowed it since we had our refillable mug.

As far as the 3 snacks for a credit we had no luck with that anywhere including our favorite place to use it Starbucks! Hopefully we will see more reports. We were there during the initial roll out so maybe things have loosened up in the past month. :)

That does not bode well. Guess we're on a wait and see for this. It also makes me wonder if the QS to 2 or 3 snack exchange will quietly go away as well.

I don't think they will take that away. Snack exchange v. entrée does not cost them much money. But, beverages cost them next to nothing, so that substitution is a big difference.

That said, I really hope they at least allow the drink for side sub at resorts. Everyone with a DDP has a mug, so if they don't allow the substitution, everyone will be taking a bottled drink to take back to their room, or for the park that day. Disney wouldn't be saving much money by not allowing substitution of a side here!

I'm not the OP but I've chimed in on this thread a few times.

As a water drinker I was temporarily excited to think I could exchange the beverage for something (just about anything!) else. Now I'm trying to convince myself that with two snacks plus dessert with TS dinner, it's probably just as well that the beverage can't be exchanged for another snack. But, it's not easy convincing myself -- who doesn't like Disney snacks!

Losing the ability to sub out your drink definitely makes the quick service dining plan less desirable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter