Random WDW Info - I Never Knew!

Here's one I got from Birnbaum's Guide Book....Many of the benches in Disney's Animal Kingdom are made of recycled plastic milk jugs. It takes 1,350 jugs to make a single bench! Drink more milk!! They could use a few more benches. :lmao:

AmyBWV99, what did they change the label to that was offensive to Disney? I looked at all the Molson Canadian products and can't find anything about any of their labels that could be considered offensive. :confused3

Just curious. :)

TheIncredibles said:
I believe the Poly has the only hidden tinkerbell...although we've never really looked, I think I know where it may be.

anyone have a picture of this??

i love this board, keep em comming!

Expedition Everest is only 199 ft tall. If it had been 200 feet tall it would have required an aircraft becon that would have ruined the look of the mountain.

There were originally 304 animals carved into the tree of life. At the dedication to the park they had Jane Goodall attend (the chimpanzee scientist) Disney realized there was no chimp on the tree of life so they hastily added one. So the total is 305.

John

CastMemberDWA said:
I have a few:
6. During the "wishes" fireworks show the back access road behind MK has to closed off so that some of the new pyrotechnics can be shot off the back of flatbed semi trucks. This ties up the traffic pattern for a time every night.
The effect is beautiful and worth the trouble it causes. :wizard:

actually the back road is always closed in any fireworks (not just wishes) because it's a fire hazard to drive next to the fireworks.

When we did the IllumiNations cruise last summer, our skipper asked us if we knew why the Swan / Dolphin didn't blend in with the other water-themed hotels in the area. (That's always bugged me -- and it always seems to shatter the illusion when you're strolling the Board Walk and see those modern high rises over there!)

Nobody knew, so he explained.

He told us that the S / D were actually built first, and were originally supposed to go over on Hotel Blvd. But Eisner wanted to start developing the "Epcot Resort Area," and ordered them moved.

The result: one of the more glaring and disappointing lapses in Disney theming! :sad2:

44sun said:
And there are even hidden Hidden Mickeys in several Disney movies, dating back to Mary Poppins..." :thumbsup2

I never knew that!

Very true! We have a number of friends that now work as animators for Disney and they are always sending us little tidbits of info for all the little hidden gems that are in the movies - they love to hide all sorts of things. (Disney actually comes up to Sheridan College to recruit these animators - we have a first class program in Oakville, Ontario that many of the big studios recruit from - and by the way - they are all absolutely brilliant but :crazy: crazy! We shared studio space with them when we were there for Graphic Design)

I found this one real interesting: There are enough of the famous "Mouse Ear" hats sold each year to cover the head of every man, woman and child in Pittsburgh and enough Disney character T-shirts are sold in Walt Disney World each year to put Mickey Mouse's smiling face on the chest of every person in Chicago.
And this one: Walt Disney originally wanted to name Mickey "Mortimer", but his wife Lillian convinced him to change the name!

goofydad621 said:
That each room in the towers is modular and they were made to slide out in tact that way they could refurbish a room off location and slide it back in. The building settled enough so the rooms will no longer slide out. I thought that was very cool
Also, it was designed to be a few floors higher, but once they realized it was going to settle, they stopped construction at that point and put the restaurant on top - the rooms that were left became the north and south wings!

Richard Nixon gave his memorable "I'm not a crook" speech on 11/17/73 at Disney's Contemporary Resort Hotel.

The river in Jungle Cruise is dyed brown for a more authentic look. If it weren't, guests could see that the river is only 3.5 feet deep.

Courtesy of my spiffy new Disney trivia book....

Here's another: They put the Mexican Pavillion and Candian Pavillion on either sides of the world showcase entrances. They Also put the American Pavillion in the middle. The reason for the positioning on the Mexican and Canadian pavillions is because they are both borders of America!

Syrreal said:
actually the back road is always closed in any fireworks (not just wishes) because it's a fire hazard to drive next to the fireworks.
They also wet down the sidewalks in Fantasyland before and (maybe after) Wishes for safety reasons.

WDW Poly Princess said:
I learned last time that of all of the land at WDW, 1/3 is developed, 1/3 can't be developed (it is swampland, or otherwise not useable), and 1/3 is still available to build on. That means WDW could pretty much double!
Actually, almost ALL was swampland at one point. The part that can't be developed is due to the fact that Disney promised to keep certain areas intact for environmental purposes.

I believe the tract of land between MK and Epcot is one of the stretches that has environmental restrictions.

Greg K. said:
He told us that the S / D were actually built first, and were originally supposed to go over on Hotel Blvd. But Eisner wanted to start developing the "Epcot Resort Area," and ordered them moved.

You actually have that sort of backwards. The tishman corporporation (who own the WDW Swan and Dolphin) helped extensively (money wise) to aid in the construction of EPCOT. In return the company was granted the rights to build two large hotels next to the park. When Eisner came in he hated this idea. He argued that the hotels should instead be built along Hotel Plaza Blvd. Disney actually took the Tishman Corporation to court but unfortuanly lost and the WDW Swan and Dolphin were built next to Epcot against Eisners wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter