Question about upgrading to annual pass?

Hi I've been considering the same thing but for our family not just DD.

Did anyone ever figure out with new higher prices what the "break even" is to upgrade to an AP? We are looking to come for Xmas and then likely again over labor day but not sure if we should just use our 5 day hoppers which we paid roughly $75/day for.
The math is pretty easy to do. Just add up the price of the two tickets you plan to buy. If you'd add the hopper option to both trips, then the AP is probably the better deal. But if you wouldn't add the hopper, then two separate tickets are going to be less expensive.

Just as an added benefit, you also get discounts at certain restaurants and shops with an Annual Pass so make sure to look into that also.

It used to be fairly easy. Back when, it used to be 8 days, then it became 11. Now more complicated. This is a pretty good dissertation on the subject.

http://allears.net/pl/breakeven.php

Thanks for the late! We are DVC members so we'd get the discounted AP and I think it'd be a better deal esp since over Xmas (our first time for that time of year), I don't want to have to not go on the park if we run out of 5 day passes now that no expire is gone.

But we also own at GVC and so my hubby vetoed doing an AP for WDW but looks like you said, roughly 9-10 would be a breal even.

The above about Photopass is what people are told. It is, however, NOT how it works in practice (though I suppose that could change any time). I get the photos of everyone I am connected to through MDE Friends and Family - even trips I wasn't even on. However, only I (as the AP holder) am able to download the photos.

It's not super complicated, though it can sound that way!
BTW, I've had the same experience with Photopass. I'll log into MDE and see photos of my friend and her DH... even though I wasn't even in the state at the time! Lol!

Thank you for your personal experiences! I called this morning and spoke to a LOVELY CM (Amber-Rose) who refunded me my $149 Memory Maker purchase back to my credit card. My May and October trips will more than pay for the annual pass now that I am saving 298 on Memory Maker! Not to mention my additional savings on Club Villain and 20% with Tables in Wonderland :D

Package tickets are considered discounted tickets (they appear in the computer as the price WDTC "paid" for them, not the gate price), so the CM doing your upgrade would, in fact, need to price bridge them. Do it at Disney Springs if you want, though - whether or not it's been used once is not relevant. (Side note: I'm still not going to argue this point, folks.)

I hate to revive this thread, but I do have a question about upgrading to the annual pass. I know what we should pay for the two passes, but we've also purchased memory maker for our upcoming trip in February. I was hoping that @ravenclawtrekkie could answer my question - when we go to upgrade to an annual pass at guest relations, will they credit us the $149 we paid for memory maker towards the pass, or are we going to need to call before and try to get that refunded? I'd prefer if they'd just credit us the $149 towards the passes.

I hate to revive this thread, but I do have a question about upgrading to the annual pass. I know what we should pay for the two passes, but we've also purchased memory maker for our upcoming trip in February. I was hoping that @ravenclawtrekkie could answer my question - when we go to upgrade to an annual pass at guest relations, will they credit us the $149 we paid for memory maker towards the pass, or are we going to need to call before and try to get that refunded? I'd prefer if they'd just credit us the $149 towards the passes.

I don't work in GR and so I can't predict what they'll do. All I know is that the ticket booths can't refund MM. Sorry.

I don't work in GR and so I can't predict what they'll do. All I know is that the ticket booths can't refund MM. Sorry.

PP of course can call right now and just get an immediate refund over the phone from guest relations. But I do seem to remember in the past few months people talking about being given memory maker refunds from on-site guest relations booths when they were upgrading to annual passes.

Thanks for the answer @ravenclawtrekkie and @mikedoyleblogger - the credit card used to buy MM is currently paid off, so that's why I'd prefer they just give me a credit towards the AP at Guest Relations since I'm paying a combo of cash and gift cards for the AP and would prefer not to use the credit card in any way, shape, or form for the transaction. Hopefully they'll give me the credit as others have reported.

Thanks for the answer @ravenclawtrekkie and @mikedoyleblogger - the credit card used to buy MM is currently paid off, so that's why I'd prefer they just give me a credit towards the AP at Guest Relations since I'm paying a combo of cash and gift cards for the AP and would prefer not to use the credit card in any way, shape, or form for the transaction. Hopefully they'll give me the credit as others have reported.

I have only ever heard of people getting memory maker refunded to the original method of payment at the time of an AP purchase or upgrade. That would give you a credit on your paid off credit card, and you could always just use that credit on that card to purchase the ticket media that you want.

I have only ever heard of people getting memory maker refunded to the original method of payment. That would give you a credit on your paid off credit card, and you could always just use that credit on that card to purchase the ticket media that you want.

Fair enough - I know that some people had said on these boards that the cost of their MM was applied to their Annual Pass upgrade, but I'm not sure in what method it was applied.

Fair enough - I know that some people had said on these boards that the cost of their MM was applied to their Annual Pass upgrade, but I'm not sure in what method it was applied.
I got my memory maker refunded to my original form of payment for my MYW package back in May.

Could you inquire if they would be able to refund the Memory Maker to a Disney Gift Card? I know retail stores sometimes ask if I would rather have returns processed this way since the money still stays with the company. Then you could just apply a Gift Card payment to the AP upgrade.

I got my memory maker refunded to my original form of payment for my MYW package back in May.

Could you inquire if they would be able to refund the Memory Maker to a Disney Gift Card? I know retail stores sometimes ask if I would rather have returns processed this way since the money still stays with the company. Then you could just apply a Gift Card payment to the AP upgrade.

I'll call and ask and see what they say. It can't hurt.

Do you need to upgrade at the parks or can you upgrade on line or over the phone? I have a 5 day ph and I want to upgrade to an annual, also a dvc member so would I have to go through member services to get the dvc discount?

Do you need to upgrade at the parks or can you upgrade on line or over the phone? I have a 5 day ph and I want to upgrade to an annual, also a dvc member so would I have to go through member services to get the dvc discount?
You cannot upgrade on line or over the phone.

Where did you purchase your ticket? If you purchased directly from Disney or as part of a current package reservation, you might have options.

You can get the DVC price at the ticket booth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter