Question about upgrading to annual pass?

jmoak

Earning My Ears
Our family will be going to DW late May. We have 8 day park hopper tix. My daughter was just asked by a friend to join them at DW in July. All we have to do is purchase her tickets. I've never done this before so I need some guidance on the most cost effective method to accomplish this.

Is upgrading her ticket to an annual pass the least expensive route?

Assuming it is should I go ahead and upgrade her ticket now prior to us arriving? Or do I do this when we arrive? We will be going to Disney springs first day so we can visit ticketing office to handle?

Another question. I see annual pass includes photopass(I assume this is the same as memory maker?). We have not yet purchased memory maker for,our trip so I'm assuming that if we upgrade her to an annual pass that we won't have to purchase memory maker as we would be included on her annual pass for the photo pass pictures we have taken? If so that would be an additional $150 savings for not having to purchase memory maker correct?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Jmoak

You'll need to do any upgrade on property. If you've purchased the ticket from Undercover Tourist or other third-party vendor, you would want to use the ticket at least once (e.g. enter a park) BEFORE upgrading- that way you'll be able to take advantage of what's called "price bridging-" you'll receive the face value of the ticket, rather than the price you paid. If you try to upgrade BEFORE using the ticket, you will NOT get the face value.

It is also important to come prepared- you will want to have calculated what you should pay before beginning the transaction- some Cast Members have more experience than others and sometimes they get the math wrong. If you end up with a number you don't expect, simply say "thank you," and try at a later point.

Our tickets were purchased as part of a package through wdw. So I guess you are saying we would just handle the upgrade at the ticket center at Disney springs on our arrival date prior to us hitting a park. And we wouldn't need to do any price bridging you mentioned because our tix were purchased directly from wdw.

How about the issue with the photopass? Is it correct to assume we don't need to purchase separately because she would then have it on her annual pass?

I think the two upper tier packages do come with the memory maker/photo pass now if that's what you upgrade too. I find the International Gateway at Epcot is a great location to upgrade, it's usually not as crowded.

Your daughter must be with you in person to do this and have her driver's license/ID, if she is old enough. You can't do the upgrade for her.

Our tickets were purchased as part of a package through wdw. So I guess you are saying we would just handle the upgrade at the ticket center at Disney springs on our arrival date prior to us hitting a park. And we wouldn't need to do any price bridging you mentioned because our tix were purchased directly from wdw.

How about the issue with the photopass? Is it correct to assume we don't need to purchase separately because she would then have it on her annual pass?

I plan on going again in October after my May trip, and called and spoke with a cast member who informed me that the PhotoPass would activate immediately, but it would only be active for my MagicBand. So say if I went on a Splash Mountain, and a family member on the reservation was in front of the castle, only my photo would appear on My Disney Experience since I had the annual pass. Memory Maker would allow anyone with a MagicBand on the reservation to utilize the online service. Also, PhotoPass is for a year, and Memory Maker is for 30 days.

The Cast Member also confirmed what SteveMouse mentioned previously that the upgrade would have to be done on property. The only way to do the upgrade prior to arrival would be to upgrade everyone on the reservation to annual passes.

Package tickets are considered discounted tickets (they appear in the computer as the price WDTC "paid" for them, not the gate price), so the CM doing your upgrade would, in fact, need to price bridge them. Do it at Disney Springs if you want, though - whether or not it's been used once is not relevant. (Side note: I'm still not going to argue this point, folks.)

I plan on going again in October after my May trip, and called and spoke with a cast member who informed me that the PhotoPass would activate immediately, but it would only be active for my MagicBand. So say if I went on a Splash Mountain, and a family member on the reservation was in front of the castle, only my photo would appear on My Disney Experience since I had the annual pass. Memory Maker would allow anyone with a MagicBand on the reservation to utilize the online service. Also, PhotoPass is for a year, and Memory Maker is for 30 days.

The Cast Member also confirmed what SteveMouse mentioned previously that the upgrade would have to be done on property. The only way to do the upgrade prior to arrival would be to upgrade everyone on the reservation to annual passes.

The above about Photopass is what people are told. It is, however, NOT how it works in practice (though I suppose that could change any time). I get the photos of everyone I am connected to through MDE Friends and Family - even trips I wasn't even on. However, only I (as the AP holder) am able to download the photos.

Package tickets are considered discounted tickets (they appear in the computer as the price WDTC "paid" for them, not the gate price), so the CM doing your upgrade would, in fact, need to price bridge them. Do it at Disney Springs if you want, though - whether or not it's been used once is not relevant. (Side note: I'm still not going to argue this point, folks.)

Listen to Ravelclawtrekkie as she knows what she's talking about, BUT as another poster said, there are many CM's that don't know exactly what they're doing and that's why you should know how much it'd be to upgrade. If you are told something different at DS, then you could try something else (ie, using it to enter a park and then going to guest services).

OP - How long is your daughter going on the 2nd trip? You'll have to do the math to see if the price of your 8 day tickets + the price of the other set of tickets she'll need is less than the price of an AP. It used to be more than 10 days but I think that may have changed since the price increases.

I think the two upper tier packages do come with the memory maker/photo pass now if that's what you upgrade too. I find the International Gateway at Epcot is a great location to upgrade, it's usually not as crowded.

I actually only see two annual pass options - Platinum and Platinum Plus, but both have the Photopass included. Am I right in assuming the photopass and memory maker are the same thing (aside from the length of time they are active?)

Your daughter must be with you in person to do this and have her driver's license/ID, if she is old enough. You can't do the upgrade for her.

She will be with us so that shouldn't be a problem. She is 15 and does have a learner's permit, so we could bring it.

The above about Photopass is what people are told. It is, however, NOT how it works in practice (though I suppose that could change any time). I get the photos of everyone I am connected to through MDE Friends and Family - even trips I wasn't even on. However, only I (as the AP holder) am able to download the photos.

Listen to Ravelclawtrekkie as she knows what she's talking about, BUT as another poster said, there are many CM's that don't know exactly what they're doing and that's why you should know how much it'd be to upgrade. If you are told something different at DS, then you could try something else (ie, using it to enter a park and then going to guest services).

OP - How long is your daughter going on the 2nd trip? You'll have to do the math to see if the price of your 8 day tickets + the price of the other set of tickets she'll need is less than the price of an AP. It used to be more than 10 days but I think that may have changed since the price increases.

The second trip will be for 6 days. So, I am thinking it will be worth the upgrade. Annual Platinum pass is total of $797.69. A 6 Day park hopper is $451.56. That's a difference of $346. If I also subtract the cost of Memory Maker (which we planned to purchase) of $149 that brings difference down to $197. I know that our 8 day park hoppers were obviously more than that so it appears to be the right option.

I am a little confused though as I have paid in full for my trip and I can't seem to find anywhere in MDX that tells me the breakdown of our trip expenses? Any assistance on this would be appreciate. Also, thank so much for all of the help so far. The information is invaluable!!

jmoak

I am a little confused though as I have paid in full for my trip and I can't seem to find anywhere in MDX that tells me the breakdown of our trip expenses? Any assistance on this would be appreciate.
Why do you need a breakdown? As long as she uses the ticket once to enter a park, you'll be credited the current gate price of her ticket towards the annual pass upgrade.

Why do you need a breakdown? As long as she uses the ticket once to enter a park, you'll be credited the current gate price of her ticket towards the annual pass upgrade.
Well, because more than one person has advised me that I need to be sure I don't get over charged when I get the upgrade. And it was mentioned that she did not have to enter the park first. My preference is to do this prior to entering any park because we are going to Disney springs upon arrival then visiting a park afterward.

Well, because more than one person has advised me that I need to be sure I don't get over charged when I get the upgrade. And it was mentioned that she did not have to enter the park first. My preference is to do this prior to entering any park because we are going to Disney springs upon arrival then visiting a park afterward.
Based on your first post, I'm assuming the tickets are included in the package. If that's not right, please correct me.

If she doesn't use the ticket first, you'll only get the value that the "package" department paid the "ticketing" department for the tickets. Nothing in your package has any bearing on that. That will likely be a much lower value than you'd expect.

If she does use the ticket before upgrading, then the ticket will be "bridged" to the current gate price. In that case, all you need to know is the current price of her ticket and the current price of the annual pass.

You don't need a price breakdown you just need to look at Disney world's website and price out the exact ticket you have (# days, park hopper and/or water parks and more feature) that you want to upgrade. That is the price you should get credit for (that is "price bridging") and it would be subtracted from the current AP you want to purchase

Based on your first post, I'm assuming the tickets are included in the package. If that's not right, please correct me.

If she doesn't use the ticket first, you'll only get the value that the "package" department paid the "ticketing" department for the tickets. Nothing in your package has any bearing on that. That will likely be a much lower value than you'd expect.

If she does use the ticket before upgrading, then the ticket will be "bridged" to the current gate price. In that case, all you need to know is the current price of her ticket and the current price of the annual pass.

You don't need a price breakdown you just need to look at Disney world's website and price out the exact ticket you have (# days, park hopper and/or water parks and more feature) that you want to upgrade. That is the price you should get credit for (that is "price bridging") and it would be subtracted from the current AP you want to purchase

I appreciate the replies and I apologize for the confusion, but it sounds like "supersnoop" is saying that I will have a reduced price (unless I activate the ticket first) and CMNJ is saying that the price will be based on current ticket pricing with no relevance to the fact that I purchased them with a package. Am I correct in that these are differing opinions? Or am I missing something completely.

Again, thanks for the help. I just want to make sure I approach this in the most economical and efficient way possible.

Jmoak

It's not super complicated, though it can sound that way!

Your DD should enter a park. Then, at any time after that (before her ticket is used up,) go to Guest Services and tell then you'd like to upgrade to an AP.

They should tell you that you owe $319.50. (That's $797.69 for the AP minus the $478.19 credit for the eight-day hopper you already purchased.)

BTW, I've had the same experience with Photopass. I'll log into MDE and see photos of my friend and her DH... even though I wasn't even in the state at the time! Lol!

Am I correct in that these are differing opinions? Or am I missing something completely.
CNMJ neglected to include the fact that the tickets have to be used first in order to be "bridged" to the current gate price. CarrieR did the math for you, and she also noted the requirement to use the ticket first.

Hi I've been considering the same thing but for our family not just DD.

Did anyone ever figure out with new higher prices what the "break even" is to upgrade to an AP? We are looking to come for Xmas and then likely again over labor day but not sure if we should just use our 5 day hoppers which we paid roughly $75/day for.

Just figure out the price of an 8 day pass, subtract that from the cost of the annual pass, and that is what you should pay. If they say that it is more, make sure they price bridge it for you. No need to use the ticket first. The price does not change when you use it first, and it will still show up as a discounted thicket that needs to be price bridged.

The photo pass can be seen and shared by everyone connected as "friends and family"

Did anyone ever figure out with new higher prices what the "break even" is to upgrade to an AP? We are looking to come for Xmas and then likely again over labor day but not sure if we should just use our 5 day hoppers which we paid roughly $75/day for.
It used to be fairly easy. Back when, it used to be 8 days, then it became 11. Now more complicated. This is a pretty good dissertation on the subject.

http://allears.net/pl/breakeven.php

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter