PRINCESS Palooza 2011! 9/9 Update: Departure Day

Aww, sad the trip report is over!

I guess it's obvious as a character hunter that I kind of want to go during that busy Christmas week just to meet the characters in their cute resort outfits! (And on Easter, have you seen those? :))

Sad that the Camp Minnie Mickey area is closing, I have a feeling the new indoor area won't have random characters popping out like they do outside.

shan23877 said:
Am I the only one who think Pocahontas shouldn't be wearing Ugg-type boots?

Haha, when I saw the pic, the first thing that popped in my head was, why is Pocahontas wearing Uggs??

Caught up on your last 2 updates!

Looks like you had a great last 2 days. Love the girls' Christmas outfits and those pics with Scrooge and Daisy and then with Pluto/Goofy and Mickey/Minnie are really cute! Love the Alice and Chip/Dale ones too.

I really hope to make it a point to try and meet some characters next time I get down there.

So sad your trip is over, but now you have another one to look forward to soon! :cool1:

It's got to be cheaper than flying from Canada... If I wanted to go direct, I'd have to drive to Halifax (3.5 hours) and the cheapest right now is almost $700. (and pay for luggage on top!) And it only flies some days and certain times of year! I love living in Canada, and especially PEI, but I'd move to the US to get to Florida cheaper! :lmao:

Wow. I guess I shouldn't complain about my potential $194 flight...... That's just amazing.

HI! I've loved reading your trip report! Your dd is such a doll. I'm constantly impressed by your fabulous costumes, gorgeous photography and you're amazing character meets. We're actually at wdw right now on a 13 night trip. Its been fun and exhausting. We will leave on saturday after the mnsshp on friday. I'm really hoping for some great character meets at the party... fingers crossed for gaston and maleficent. BTW, we were able to do one of the belle's cottage previews the other day and it was fantastic! I have a feeling you're going to go nuts trying to photograph all the great detail. If that one attraction is indicative of what the rest of the expansion is going to look like, its going to be amazing!

thanks for the 9:50 tip for the characters. We're going to be back at AK in a couple days and will definitely give that a try. I also had to laugh when I saw the pic of pocahantas in her uggs... that's hysterical!

I'm so jealous you got to see scrooge. That is great! Loved M&M in the their holiday themed resort wear, so cute!

I didn't know they did characters at the resorts. Is that something they do regularly or is it just at christmas time?

What a great time to be at Disney! I hear the crowds are very low.

Thanks for all the kind words and for reading along. :goodvibes

I'm glad you got the 9:50 tip in time. I hope yo find a bunch of characters at AK!

The resort characters are just something they have been doing in the last week or so prior to Christmas. Never heard of it any other time.

random photography question for you - with such a high iso, how do you avoid grainy pictures?

Each camera is different. My T2i does pretty well, better than even my last Canon (Xsi). But it's probably more about using Lightroom 3. It was really their noise reduction feature that drew me to it in the first place. Just import it into the program, move a few sliders, then export it back out.

I will NEVER understand how that is cheaper for the airlines…. :confused3

It was so funny. I really had NO idea we were going to Chicago that night. I knew it wasn't a non-stop flight and that I didn't have to make a connection. But I never looked at the destination.

Aww, sad the trip report is over!

I guess it's obvious as a character hunter that I kind of want to go during that busy Christmas week just to meet the characters in their cute resort outfits! (And on Easter, have you seen those? :))

Sad that the Camp Minnie Mickey area is closing, I have a feeling the new indoor area won't have random characters popping out like they do outside.

Haha, when I saw the pic, the first thing that popped in my head was, why is Pocahontas wearing Uggs??

I've been tempted to go at Easter too.... just to see that cute pre-parade and meet Mr. and Mrs. Easter bunny! But alas.... I just don't deal well with big crowds.

I'm sad about Camp Minnie Mickey too. Especially for the reason WHY. Any word on when that's happening?

Caught up on your last 2 updates!

Looks like you had a great last 2 days. Love the girls' Christmas outfits and those pics with Scrooge and Daisy and then with Pluto/Goofy and Mickey/Minnie are really cute! Love the Alice and Chip/Dale ones too.

I really hope to make it a point to try and meet some characters next time I get down there.

So sad your trip is over, but now you have another one to look forward to soon! :cool1:

Thanks! I'm sad about the trip report being over too. Although I certainly dragged it out for a long time, didn't I????? :goodvibes But yes, the new one coming up will definitely get me through! :dance3:

I'm glad you were able to squeeze so much in on your last day! I was so paranoid about not getting back to the resort on time last time, that I didn't really milk my last park for all it was worth! :sad2:

Isn't it hard to remember that sometimes Florida can be chilly? :lmao: I have done that in Louisiana. Although, to me, it WAS warm. Not to the locals though. :rotfl:

I love all the yeti souvies! We have the bigger ball shaped stuffed animal one! I love the hat that Katie got! She looks adorable in it!!

So sad this trip is over, cannot wait for the next one!!:goodvibes

I just finished your trip reports. Amazing photos and dresses and I'm in awe of your etsy store. I think Disney should hire you.

Although I love the fireworks photos, I have to say the one of scifi impressed me the most. I've read probably twenty trip reports from people who have eaten there and still never could tell what the inside of the restaurant looked like. Your low light shots are amazing.

We'll be there some of the same days as you: nov 29-dec 11. I'm sure my ds3 would love to get a glimpse of Katie in one of her dresses. He loves the princesses. We live near dlr and he is in awe of all the pretty girls in their dresses. I really think some of your dresses are better than disney's.

So sad this report is coming to an end!! I really need to get back with my report just been so swamped. Nathan is playing 3 football games a week which keeps us hoping! Youare so lucky to be going back...not sure when our next trip is:( Hope all is well!!
Renee

What???? Totally missed Chip and Dale?????? I think you should schedule a new trip immediately! :)
I know.. I'm not going to WDW this year though :sad: no money after college... I am going to Disneyland Paris though.. it won't be the same but at least Mickey Mouse will be there!

Thanks for the kind words on the photos. :goodvibes
No bothers

And yeah. Big time boo to the meowing on the plane. I guess he must have had Turret Syndrome or something. It certainly seemed like it. But really...... I just got rid of the wine spiller. And the replacement was a meower?????? It was very odd.
That sounds like such a strange flight.

So sad this TR has come to an end. I just love Disney at the holidays. I didn't even know they did character meets at the hotels! I love all the characters in their winter garb. I can't wait until November when I get to go back. I have to get my Disneyland/LA TR going though. I got some great shots at world of color and as I took them I couldn't help but think of your amazing fireworks photos!

Meeting Scrooge McDuck really was awesome. I had been kicking myself since 2008 when we completely bypassed him at MVMCP. I just assumed there would always be next time. Hah!

It's funny you ask about the flash issue at parades. That comes up pretty routinely on the photography forum.

For MSEP I never use my flash, and the consensus seems to be that it will wash things out too much. I agree with that.

The issue is with the MNSSHP and MVMCP parades. Some of the characters walking along and some of the floats are just so dark that it's really hard to get a decent shot without a flash. I have tried it both ways and am pretty sold on not using a fash if possible. Of course, when you do use a flash on one of those parades, I highly recommend dialing back the flash exposure compensation so it adds a little to brighten faces, but not so much it washes everything out. To go flashless though you really need at bare minimun a 2.8 lens. Something even faster would be better. And I use 3200 ISO for those parades.

I am usually flashless too...and shoot in iso 3200 as well. So it sounds like we are on the same page some what. I need to have steadier hands though.

Yep. Now you know why we only fly Southwest. FREE LUGGAGE! :cool1:

I heard FOTLK was closing in January. But I've also heard something about a delay in the Avatar project, so not sure if that will affect the timing of the FOTLK closure. Maybe something about some "creative differences" with James Cameron. Hard to believe, huh? :rotfl:

I have heard FOTLK may be moved to a new location...but also heard major troubles with Avatarland as well. Well that hs been rumored for a long time and they denied it...but they they kind of came out and said it now like it is actually happening. Like we are dumb. It probably was issue for quite some time...they just want to release that on their own terms.

I have no desire for avatarland.

So I am all caught up finally. I am so sad the trip came to an end. You had some great times and gorgeous weather for the most part. Going home is so sad.
I have a Tusker House at 10:30...maybe we'll try to get to the characters first. I have heard others talk about the good luck they have early on.

It's my catch up day and now it's ruined.:lmao: No more beautiful pictures for what 2 months?;) Kidding, I'll make it, I'll be there in live and living color soon!

Kadence wants to tell Katie that she loves her pose where her foot is up and her toes touching the ground. I guess and nice pose is something to be admired. LOL

I have been informed that if I buy a Yeti for her, she'll ride EE. Thanks Janet. Bribes, is that what it's come too?

YES! But only at Disney, at home it's illegal.:rotfl2:

I need to check and see if Meeko is a regular character, Kadence wants to meet him now, and I've never seen him in park.

We are missing POP right about now, it was a fun experience for us. I hope AoA is just as or more awesome for us both.

I must be the only crazy one that's a little excited your TR is at its end. It means another trip is just around the corner! I really enjoyed following along with your fun. Thanks for sharing again!

I'm too excited to see the great pics you'll get of the new Fantasyland! We got to see Enchanted Tales with Belle on Saturday and were just amazed at all the detail. You're going to have such a great time! :thumbsup2

Great TR!
It's time for me to start planning our next trip :cool1:
I will definetly take some ideas from you!
Thank you!

It can't be time for the end can it?

If so, your last post should be a link to your new trip report for this Christmas!!!

Wow I have seriously fell far behind!! The updates are great, I love all the outfits, and dresses the girls have, I so wish I could get away with wearing that still haha!!

Those Merida dresses are ah-maz-ing! As is your etsy store! Let me tell you, if I'm going to MNSSHP again next year, I know what I'm saving for now! Hhaha!

It looks like it was an amazing trip, a great way to start a Christmas vacation, that's for sure! You guys are going mid/late Dec again this year? I'm thinking we'll be doing the last week of Nov this time around!

Just thought I would stop by and see how all your dresses and plans are going for you December trip?

OK, I'm going to give this one more shot. TWICE now I've had a really big multi-quote reply all typed out, only to find out the DIS had logged me out and needed me to log back in again....... and when I did? My multi-quote was gone. Grrrr...... So I had to step away for a bit.

Anyhow.......... maybe I'll take it in smaller bits......

I'm glad you were able to squeeze so much in on your last day! I was so paranoid about not getting back to the resort on time last time, that I didn't really milk my last park for all it was worth! :sad2:

Isn't it hard to remember that sometimes Florida can be chilly? :lmao: I have done that in Louisiana. Although, to me, it WAS warm. Not to the locals though. :rotfl:

I love all the yeti souvies! We have the bigger ball shaped stuffed animal one! I love the hat that Katie got! She looks adorable in it!!

So sad this trip is over, cannot wait for the next one!!:goodvibes

It really was chilly that last day in the AK, but still nothing like we experienced in 2010. But still..... why I didn't figure that out when I was running around outside that morning is beyone me!

We didn't buy all the Yetis. We ended up with the 2 small ones, but the big one had to stay put. Man, I really would have struggled with getting him into our luggage!

We love to do a park on our departure day. This year it's going to be easier because our return flight is direct. I don't think we've had a direct flight back yet, so this will be nice. And instead of getting in around 10:30 at night with a 45 minute drive home still, we'll land around 7:30. I think that will make it a lot easier on Katie heading back to school the next day.

I did finally give up and book our return flight. It really hasn't changed this entire time we've been looking. Then the Middle East started going up in flames, and I decided to swallow hard and just do it before it got any worse. We're still waiting on our friends to book their return flights and are crossing our fingers they will be able to go to the parks with us that last day and head home on the same flight.

I just finished your trip reports. Amazing photos and dresses and I'm in awe of your etsy store. I think Disney should hire you.

Although I love the fireworks photos, I have to say the one of scifi impressed me the most. I've read probably twenty trip reports from people who have eaten there and still never could tell what the inside of the restaurant looked like. Your low light shots are amazing.

We'll be there some of the same days as you: nov 29-dec 11. I'm sure my ds3 would love to get a glimpse of Katie in one of her dresses. He loves the princesses. We live near dlr and he is in awe of all the pretty girls in their dresses. I really think some of your dresses are better than disney's.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Sci-Fi really does have an awesome atmosphere. We have an ADR there this trip but probably won't keep it. If we do, it will likely just be for some shakes and to get off our feet a bit.

LOL on your son loving the pretty girls. Katie would get such a charge out of meeting him!

So sad this report is coming to an end!! I really need to get back with my report just been so swamped. Nathan is playing 3 football games a week which keeps us hoping! Youare so lucky to be going back...not sure when our next trip is:( Hope all is well!!
Renee

Thanks Renee. I hope you can find time to squeeze in a return trip to WDW sometime in the near future.

I know exactaly how you feel being so busy though. Silly me, I thought things would slow down this fall since Timmy's not running XC. But with National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society and Scholar Bowl meetings, it's all adding up. Then Katie got a part in the school musical and has practice several nights a week. So as usual, I feel like I'm just along for the ride. I do love having a Disney trip to look forward to when the runnng dies down though. It gets me through.

I know.. I'm not going to WDW this year though :sad: no money after college... I am going to Disneyland Paris though.. it won't be the same but at least Mickey Mouse will be there!

No bothers

That sounds like such a strange flight.

Well, DLP doesn't sound too bad. I'd love to see it myself one day.

And yes. Very. Strange. Flight.

So sad this TR has come to an end. I just love Disney at the holidays. I didn't even know they did character meets at the hotels! I love all the characters in their winter garb. I can't wait until November when I get to go back. I have to get my Disneyland/LA TR going though. I got some great shots at world of color and as I took them I couldn't help but think of your amazing fireworks photos!

Thanks for the kind words. :goodvibes

We just missed the premiere of WOC in 2010. By design. I just don't like mob scenes. So now here I am arriving at WDW on the day the FLE grand opens. Oops. Oh well, too late to change this one! But I do hope to head west next fall and finally see (and photograph) WOC myself!

I really am having a hard time trying to decide if I'd rather do DL for Halloween or Christmas. After seeing some of their temps lately, I'm leaning toward Christmas again. But a lot depends on Katie's schedule at school. And it just dawned on me that if she wants to do the school musical again, Halloween might not even be possible.

I am usually flashless too...and shoot in iso 3200 as well. So it sounds like we are on the same page some what. I need to have steadier hands though.

My hands are far from steady. I've had a hand tremor since I was a child. I think the weight of the camera steadies it though, oddly enough. Sounds like we're using the same approach, but my lens might be faster, letting me hit a faster shutter speed.

I have heard FOTLK may be moved to a new location...but also heard major troubles with Avatarland as well. Well that hs been rumored for a long time and they denied it...but they they kind of came out and said it now like it is actually happening. Like we are dumb. It probably was issue for quite some time...they just want to release that on their own terms.

I have no desire for avatarland.

The whole Avatarland thing leaves me completely cold. I could probably visit AK when it's done and never step foot in the area. My fingers ARE secretly crossed that the trouble is true and it falls through. I get that they are looking to appeal to a different demographic. But I don't care. I still hate it! :rotfl:

So I am all caught up finally. I am so sad the trip came to an end. You had some great times and gorgeous weather for the most part. Going home is so sad.
I have a Tusker House at 10:30...maybe we'll try to get to the characters first. I have heard others talk about the good luck they have early on.

I bet you could get a decent number of characters in before heading to TH.

I'm anxious to get back to AK, but as I look at our 10 day schedule, I'm now thinking I'll have to back on a couple days. So of course, one of our 2 half AK days might get the boot. I really have no idea how my feet are going to survive this trip!

It's my catch up day and now it's ruined.:lmao: No more beautiful pictures for what 2 months?;) Kidding, I'll make it, I'll be there in live and living color soon!

I know! I can't believe your trip is getting so close! Then you'll have to get your own TR under way quickly to get me through my last month of waiting!

Kadence wants to tell Katie that she loves her pose where her foot is up and her toes touching the ground. I guess and nice pose is something to be admired. LOL

I know, I think secretly they all want to be models!:rotfl2:

I have been informed that if I buy a Yeti for her, she'll ride EE. Thanks Janet. Bribes, is that what it's come too?

YES! But only at Disney, at home it's illegal.:rotfl2:

Well, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I totally bribed Katie at California Screamin' in 2010 and I'm so glad I did. We ended up riding it 3 times and was a highlight of the trip for us. And future rides no longer required a bribe, so I was in and out successfully with the bribe thing. Worked perfectly. I think it carries a lot more weight when it's not a habit. So use it wisely young Skywalker! :yoda:

I need to check and see if Meeko is a regular character, Kadence wants to meet him now, and I've never seen him in park.

Check kennythepirate.com before you go. Meeko has been regular at AK but there are lots of changes coming for fall.

We are missing POP right about now, it was a fun experience for us. I hope AoA is just as or more awesome for us both.

I have the funny feeling my feet are really going to be missing the POP by the end of our trip. OK, maybe by the start of the second day! :rotfl2:

I must be the only crazy one that's a little excited your TR is at its end. It means another trip is just around the corner! I really enjoyed following along with your fun. Thanks for sharing again!

I'm too excited to see the great pics you'll get of the new Fantasyland! We got to see Enchanted Tales with Belle on Saturday and were just amazed at all the detail. You're going to have such a great time! :thumbsup2

What a sweet thing to say! I can't wait either! I'm glad you saw this one through........ all 92 pages! :rotfl: Come on everyone, we can hit 100 still don't you think?

I really can't wait for more previews to start in FL so I can see more photos. I love to look at what others do for inspiration.

And I'm so jealou you got to experience Enchanted Tales with Belle already. I'm REALLY looking forward to that. I'm guessing we'll do it a couple times.

Great TR!
It's time for me to start planning our next trip :cool1:
I will definetly take some ideas from you!
Thank you!

Feel free to take any ideas you want. When are you going?

I also told this to Baseball Mickey.. Need to write a book!!!!
:surfweb:

LOL. Maybe in my "spare" time......

It can't be time for the end can it?

If so, your last post should be a link to your new trip report for this Christmas!!!

Well, if it's like anything else in my life, I'll probably be very slow to get my next TR under way. So this one will have to suffice until that happens. I promise I'll share the link when it's ready, but I'm usually about 3 steps behind..... But then you all probably know that already! :rotfl: But it HAS been nice to have this one last almost until the new trip.

I still need to get over and finish up on your TR. I pop in every now and then to get my photo fix, but I need to go back and finish reading. And I enjoyed your "Friday Night Lights" shot. You're doing some great things with that 60D!

Wow I have seriously fell far behind!! The updates are great, I love all the outfits, and dresses the girls have, I so wish I could get away with wearing that still haha!!

Those Merida dresses are ah-maz-ing! As is your etsy store! Let me tell you, if I'm going to MNSSHP again next year, I know what I'm saving for now! Hhaha!

It looks like it was an amazing trip, a great way to start a Christmas vacation, that's for sure! You guys are going mid/late Dec again this year? I'm thinking we'll be doing the last week of Nov this time around!

Thanks for all the kind words. I really do love doing Disney right before Disney. I'm not sure I'd ever want to be there over Christmas itself, but it's an awesome way to kick off the season. Our trip is 12/6 to 12/16. But any time after Thanksgiving up to about 12/15 is great.

Just thought I would stop by and see how all your dresses and plans are going for you December trip?

Hey Glennie! :wave2:

I think we're pretty settled on what we're doing when. We're doing 2 half days at AK, one day at Epcot, one day at DHS..... and the rest at MK! But I doubt that surprises anyone here! Part of the trip my husband will be along, and part of the trip we'll spend with our friends. When I get a chance I'll share my itinerary. We're doing MVMCP 12/9 and 12/13.

I made blue Belle costumes for the girls and we'll be bringing the yellow gowns back to wear to dinner at BOG. If I get a wild hare, I might do another Christmas Belle. We'll see if there's time.

I also did Cindy gowns for the girls to wear to BBB. Kim has always wanted a pink Cindy for McKenna so I made her one of those. And I did a new blue Cindy for Katie. No funky Christmas Cindy since it wouldn't match very well with pink Cindy, and the fabric I wanted never showed up. Maybe another time. And we're bringing the Merida gowns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter