Prawn Heads & Cupcakes & Soups, Oh My! 10/5 Complete (now with my Dining Wish List)!

Anywhere is better than Jim's! I hope you didn't get stuck in line too long. We took our teens on a cheese steak tour one Saturday. Jim's, Geno's, Pat's and Tony Luke's. Tony Luke's was voted best by all.

On Penn's campus, near DDW is a place called Abner's. Thirty years ago I met my DH in Pagono's, a college bar, which was in the attached building. At 2:00AM, after a long night of drinking and dancing, they were the best cheese steaks ever! I'm curious if they are still the same after all these years. Ever eat something as simple as a cheese steak DDW?

Wow that brings back memories! The last time I was at Abner's was about 15 years ago during Erin Express (St. Patty's pub crawl). Like you said, delicious after :drinking1, lol!

There is a Nando's right across the street from my work!! I've eaten there so much, I'm a bit sick of it. lol But it's quite good, especially if you are a spicy foods lover. I heard that they are like McDonalds in London...they are everywhere. Let me know if you ever come to the area, I would gladly take you to Nando's :) -Amanda
Wow, what a coincidence! Nando's brings back such good memories for me, so I'm glad that you're familiar with it! And you're right about London - I just looked it up, and apparently they have over 60 Nando's locations there! Now if only they'd start expanding in this country - I need my peri peri fix. :cloud9:

I'm still here! I'm so happy the wave has a bison burger (I hope it still does)! Bison is absolutely my favorite meat! I am gutted they took Bison steak off the California Grill menu. I still haven't decided what to get from CG on my upcoming trip.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever you choose at CG. :thumbsup2 The filet mignon and pork always get solid reviews. And I don't think The Wave will be removing its bison burger anytime soon - it's become a staple on the lunch menu. ::yes::

I have finally caught up and I was bummed to discover that the chocolate caramel cupcake was right under my nose and I could have had one!! :faint:

Enjoying your reviews as always !!

Susan
Oh yes, that chocolate caramel cupcake was fantastic - easily my favorite Disney cupcake of the ones I've tried. I highly recommend putting it on the list for next time (or the carrot cake or s'mores cupcake!). :)

Anywhere is better than Jim's! I hope you didn't get stuck in line too long. We took our teens on a cheese steak tour one Saturday. Jim's, Geno's, Pat's and Tony Luke's. Tony Luke's was voted best by all.

On Penn's campus, near DDW is a place called Abner's. Thirty years ago I met my DH in Pagono's, a college bar, which was in the attached building. At 2:00AM, after a long night of drinking and dancing, they were the best cheese steaks ever! I'm curious if they are still the same after all these years. Ever eat something as simple as a cheese steak DDW?
Yep, I've had cheesesteaks before! I tried Pat's once and enjoyed it - haven't tried Geno's, Jim's, or Tony Luke's. I also need to try Abner's sometime, as I still hear good things about it. :thumbsup2

Wow that brings back memories! The last time I was at Abner's was about 15 years ago during Erin Express (St. Patty's pub crawl). Like you said, delicious after :drinking1, lol!
It's so cool to hear all these references to places I've heard of! And a pub crawl sounds like a super fun idea, especially for St. Patty's Day (although it'll have to wait until my final school year, since unlike many of my friends, I never opted to get a fake ID :laughing:).

Great reviews!
Thanks so much! I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying them. :goodvibes

My most recent reports have included comprehensive coverage of The Wave: the July report featured a lunch review and a review of the breakfast buffet, while "Prawn Heads" has covered the bison burger and the elusive lunch buffet. As such, in keeping with the theme, I wanted to discuss The Wave's seasonal menu changes, in case you haven't seen them yet. Links are provided to each menu. :)

Breakfast: The food hasn't changed, but a new all-natural lemonade with wildberry foam has been added to the drink list - Disney seems to be rolling out this beverage at a variety of locations. Also, changes appear to be marked in red on all the menus (at least for now), so they're easy to notice.

Lunch: This is where the real fun begins - quite a few dishes have changed since summer! The crab-Florida rock shrimp cakes are now served with different accompaniments, and the seasonal salad has understandably been modified to incorporate autumn flavors. The sustainable fish taco is new, and it's served with avocado gelato! The entrees haven't changed much, although the couscous salad that came with my bison burger is gone. The new side option is a Zellwood, Florida triple-sweet corn salad with lime, bell peppers, and sweet onions - sounds good to me. :thumbsup2

Dinner: The beef tenderloin features brand new accompaniments, and they sound great! It's now served with a goji berry-red wine reduction, three-potato hash, and locally sourced butternut squash risotto - wow. Other entrees have also received slight accompaniment changes. But the biggest entree change is that the sustainable fish can now be either sauteed or grilled - both preparations are served with different sides. Between the beef and the grilled fish, I'm already torn. :laughing:

Dessert: Get ready for this: the dessert menu has fully embraced the new season! The white chocolate crème brûlée and raspberry macaron are out, but a butterscotch crème brûlée and espresso macaron are in. The fall ice cream trio looks scrumptious (salted caramel is always delicious, but I'm especially dying to try the pumpkin pie ice cream with maple glazed pecans!). :cloud9: The other desserts also sound good, such as a no sugar added fall spice cake with apple-cranberry compote.

Screenshot2012-09-26at120304AM.png

Overall, seasonality is definitely something that differentiates The Wave from other non-signature restaurants. I've seen it reported that most non-signature restaurants only update their menu twice a year (March and September are pretty common times for changes). The Wave, however, can presumably update its menu four times a year - once for each season. This helps freshen things up for repeat guests, and now I'm even more excited to return here sometime in the future. :goodvibes

Get ready for this: the dessert menu has fully embraced the new season! The white chocolate crème brûlée and raspberry macaron are out, but a butterscotch crème brûlée and espresso macaron are in. The fall ice cream trio looks scrumptious (salted caramel is always delicious, but I'm especially dying to try the pumpkin pie ice cream with maple glazed pecans!). :cloud9: The other desserts also sound good, such as a no sugar added fall spice cake with apple-cranberry compote.

Overall, seasonality is definitely something that differentiates The Wave from other non-signature restaurants. I've seen it reported that most non-signature restaurants only update their menu twice a year (March and September are pretty common times for changes). The Wave, however, can presumably update its menu four times a year - once for each season. This helps freshen things up for repeat guests, and now I'm even more excited to return here sometime in the future. :goodvibes

As excited as I am to see the no sugar fall spice cake with apple cranberry compote and the wonderful ice-cream trio selections I know that I won't be trying it before it departs the menu again! Drat! :(

Love the seasonal menu updates - makes for more variety for when you write your next Wave review because I KNOW you will be going back there.

Speaking of seasonal offerings.... there is a restaurant in our city called Seasons 52. The name is derived from the specials on the menu changing 52 times a year. They have about a dozen new items 52 times a year not just 1 or 2 dishes. And even better, everything on the menu is under 500 calories - even dessert!! (ok, it is mini portions for dessert but that's all I really need!)

Anyway ..... back to your review. I love the changes and selections that you have shared with your last few reviews. I will be giving you credit when I finally dine at The Wave and have my own rave reviews to share! :)

If you are watching carbs for some reason, it may be a good idea to ask how many carbs are actually IN the sugar free varieties of items. (there is a software available that can calculate the number based on recipe content). Sometimes the 'sugar free' item has the same or even more carbs than the regular stuff. I am VERY particular about my carbs (I dose insulin in 0.05 unit increments) and would go with the REAL stuff any day. If you LIKE sugar free, have at it, but, at WDW I really prefer the real. IMHO.

As excited as I am to see the no sugar fall spice cake with apple cranberry compote and the wonderful ice-cream trio selections I know that I won't be trying it before it departs the menu again! Drat! :(

Love the seasonal menu updates - makes for more variety for when you write your next Wave review because I KNOW you will be going back there.

Speaking of seasonal offerings.... there is a restaurant in our city called Seasons 52. The name is derived from the specials on the menu changing 52 times a year. They have about a dozen new items 52 times a year not just 1 or 2 dishes. And even better, everything on the menu is under 500 calories - even dessert!! (ok, it is mini portions for dessert but that's all I really need!)

Anyway ..... back to your review. I love the changes and selections that you have shared with your last few reviews. I will be giving you credit when I finally dine at The Wave and have my own rave reviews to share! :)
I probably won't be trying those desserts either, but if someone here sees the new menu and decides to hit up The Wave, we might end up seeing the ice cream trio or fall spice cake in someone else's review. :thumbsup2

I've been to a Seasons 52 before! The desserts served in shot glasses tasted great, and the portion didn't make me regret it afterwards. :laughing:

And I'm so glad you're still enjoying the reviews - hopefully you'll be able to try lunch or dinner at The Wave sometime (and perhaps a cupcake or two from Roaring Fork). :goodvibes

If you are watching carbs for some reason, it may be a good idea to ask how many carbs are actually IN the sugar free varieties of items. (there is a software available that can calculate the number based on recipe content). Sometimes the 'sugar free' item has the same or even more carbs than the regular stuff. I am VERY particular about my carbs (I dose insulin in 0.05 unit increments) and would go with the REAL stuff any day. If you LIKE sugar free, have at it, but, at WDW I really prefer the real. IMHO.
I know what you mean. "No sugar added" is used extremely loosely these days, and a lot of places compensate for the lack of processed sugar by using artificial sweeteners or other unhealthy flavor enhancers. I'm willing to order no sugar added desserts if they sound good to me, but I'm not under the impression that they're better for my health (they could easily be worse). ;)

We have the Wave booked for dinner next month...cannot wait. In the past they have allowed us to switch the desserts around, wonder if we still can?

We have the Wave booked for dinner next month...cannot wait. In the past they have allowed us to switch the desserts around, wonder if we still can?
Hmm, I've never asked about switching. But if you've done it before, it probably won't be an issue. :thumbsup2

I know what you mean. "No sugar added" is used extremely loosely these days, and a lot of places compensate for the lack of processed sugar by using artificial sweeteners or other unhealthy flavor enhancers. I'm willing to order no sugar added desserts if they sound good to me, but I'm not under the impression that they're better for my health (they could easily be worse). ;)

It's not even that. All sugars are carbs but not all carbs are sugars. And "no sugar added" does not change the natural sugars within a dish. Fruit, after all, used to be served for dessert for a reason - it's loaded with natural sugars. It may well be "healthier" but still presents a problem if you must carefully monitor carbs or sugars.

And no, WDW cannot give you the carb count for any item on any menu unless it's something already packaged for resale that is legally required to have a nutritional info label.

It's not even that. All sugars are carbs but not all carbs are sugars. And "no sugar added" does not change the natural sugars within a dish. Fruit, after all, used to be served for dessert for a reason - it's loaded with natural sugars. It may well be "healthier" but still presents a problem if you must carefully monitor carbs or sugars.

And no, WDW cannot give you the carb count for any item on any menu unless it's something already packaged for resale that is legally required to have a nutritional info label.
I think both are somewhat of an issue - from a low carb/sugar standpoint, I definitely wouldn't call any WDW dessert a safe choice if you're really being careful - the fruit, milk, and starchy ingredients all contribute to a high carb/sugar level. But also, from a general health standpoint, anything labeled "no sugar added" is often loaded with sweeteners like sucralose (including some of WDW's no sugar added desserts), and I think those sweeteners can be extremely unhealthy in their own way.

Basically, when I order dessert, I pick whatever sounds tastiest or most interesting to me. Occasionally, it's the no sugar added option...but I would never try to pass it off as 'healthy' or an acceptable choice for a low carb diet. ::yes::

The Wave is looking good! :thumbsup2 We are staying over at BLT so we need to have a meal there!! Though the yummy fall options will sure be gone by May lol!
I love anything, anything that includes salted caramel or chocolate! We went to Maine this summer and I had Salted caramel ice cream from Browns and salted chocolates from Goldenrods! Both pretty popular places and both treats we're WONDERFUL!
Thank you for the newest menu updates :goodvibes
PS. We are currently enjoying Chipotle for lunch, DD (16mths) is having her first taste of this deliciousness! ;)

Yum, the Wave menu looks good!

I don't know if my plain boyfriend will like it, but I definitely will! That new beef entree is super expensive now!

The Wave is looking good! :thumbsup2 We are staying over at BLT so we need to have a meal there!! Though the yummy fall options will sure be gone by May lol!
I love anything, anything that includes salted caramel or chocolate! We went to Maine this summer and I had Salted caramel ice cream from Browns and salted chocolates from Goldenrods! Both pretty popular places and both treats we're WONDERFUL!
Thank you for the newest menu updates :goodvibes
PS. We are currently enjoying Chipotle for lunch, DD (16mths) is having her first taste of this deliciousness! ;)
That's okay - by your May trip, the menu will feature refreshing spring ingredients! :thumbsup2

I've never been to Maine, but I definitely have to add those ice cream places to my list if I take a trip there. And I hope your DD is now a Chipotle fan! :laughing:

Excellent menu, excellent update!
Glad you enjoyed the update - I also think The Wave's current menu looks great! :goodvibes

Yum, the Wave menu looks good!

I don't know if my plain boyfriend will like it, but I definitely will! That new beef entree is super expensive now!
Yep, the beef entree is now $4 more than before. For those unique side dishes, it might be worth it (and to anyone using the DDP, it's especially worth it now!). ;)

Later in the day, I made my way back to Wilderness Lodge. This cute rabbit in the courtyard caught my attention.

IMG_5602.jpg

Then I headed back to the room. Craving another taste of that chocolate caramel cupcake, I suggested to my mom that we split it (she'd never want a whole one, but I knew she'd like the flavors). Once again, it was delicious. :)

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

Later on, my mom was still hungry (since the half-cupcake was basically her breakfast), so I went downstairs to get her a sandwich. Originally, the sandwich is all I had planned on buying, but once I made it down there, a very kind family offered to buy me a full meal (because they were leaving and had some extra quick service credits)! As such, I added on a s'mores cupcake and SmartWater to the order. They definitely added some magic to my day, and I was extremely thankful. :goodvibes

IMG_5581.jpg

My mom's sandwich contained turkey and dill havarti - it was served on a multigrain roll with cucumber salad on the side. She enjoyed this meal very much. :)

IMG_5582.jpg

My mom didn't feel like trying the s'mores cupcake, so I dug in. The cupcake tasted like graham cracker, but it had a very moist texture. The toasted marshmallow topping was light and fluffy, and the piece of Hershey's chocolate on top was a great touch.

IMG_5583.jpg

At first, when I cut the cupcake open, there wasn't a visible 'filling'. However, since I've had this cupcake before, I knew that there were supposed to be extra pieces of chocolate on the inside.

IMG_5587.jpg

That's more like it :thumbsup2

IMG_5588.jpg

Plus, while eating, we got to enjoy the lovely view from our room.

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

Once again, Roaring Fork really impressed both of us. I should have eaten some actual food here (instead of just sweets), but the cupcakes definitely won me over, and I'm glad that the turkey sandwich was right up my mom's alley. :cloud9:

IMG_5679_zps841f104b.jpg

Both the Sandwich and Cupcake look really good. I'm happy Roaring Fork will be so convenient for us!

WL is BEAUTIFUL!!

That was super generous of those kind people to share their unused meal credits!!! The sandwich sure looks good and since I love multi-grain rolls oh my goodness!! :thumbsup2

You have to stop with the cupcakes Mr. DDW - you're killin' me!! :lmao: I'm going to have to start a cupcake wish list and definitely add that one to the list. The marshmallow topping sounds so unique and delicious. The cake part was a graham flavor? I'm just so curious to try that.

That view from your room is certainly beautiful.

That's okay - by your May trip, the menu will feature refreshing spring ingredients! :thumbsup2

I've never been to Maine, but I definitely have to add those ice cream places to my list if I take a trip there. And I hope your DD is now a Chipotle fan! :laughing:
We stay in York, and there are really just cute little towns with shopping, beaches, relaxing and some good seafood! :goodvibes
And I am happy to report she finished her entire chicken and cheese quesadilla while I enjoyed my favorite salad and she is now a fan! I'm a proud mommy :rotfl2:
ETA: Roaring Fork looks great too!! These cupcakes are killing me!! LOL! But even the turkey sandwich looks delicious and a lighter choice to some of the heavier foods I tend to enjoy in Disney ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter