• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PPC 2.0 Castaway Cay 5k - GKTW Fundraiser Idea

Todd has been working a few ideas, as soon as he has finalized them I am sure he will be here to share.

So here is where we are with the 5K.

I have spoken to several folks and all agree that arranging the 5k as a fundraiser on castaway has proven to be more difficult than we thought as there are so many variables to take into consideration that we just didn't expect so what we have decided to do is suggest that those who wish to make a donation to GKTW, or run the 5k on their own as a fundraiser do so, and those who wish to just run it for fun do that.

The 5k happens at every cc stop (weather permitted) so I am sure you will see many DIS'r up and at it.

The podsquad mentioned a few months ago that they were planning to do a big fundraiser for GKTW in the near future, when this is announced, please support it as every dollar counts.

I have spoken to several folks and all agree that arranging the 5k as a fundraiser on castaway has proven to be more difficult than we thought as there are so many variables to take into consideration that we just didn't expect so what we have decided to do is suggest that those who wish to make a donation to GKTW, or run the 5k on their own as a fundraiser do so, and those who wish to just run it for fun do that.

The 5k happens at every cc stop (weather permitted) so I am sure you will see many DIS'r up and at it.

The podsquad mentioned a few months ago that they were planning to do a big fundraiser for GKTW in the near future, when this is announced, please support it as every dollar counts.

Kelly, Thanks for your & Todd's efforts on this even though the details did not work out as hoped.

Who's still planning to do 5k, even tho it's not a fund-raiser. :confused3 I guess I'll write GKTW a check, but still plan on walking the 5k. Think I can do it, walked at the ren faire with just my cane and didn't get tired until late afternoon.

Kelly, Thanks for your & Todd's efforts on this even though the details did not work out as hoped.

I second that... GKTW will still get what we collected for the Chili & Dog day #1 (at work) plus next Friday's Chili & Dog day #2. We appreciate all the work that was put into this.

Who's still planning to do 5k, even tho it's not a fund-raiser. :confused3 I guess I'll write GKTW a check, but still plan on walking the 5k. Think I can do it, walked at the ren faire with just my cane and didn't get tired until late afternoon.

I'm still going to do it. May not be a 'fundraiser' but it will be a fun-raiser for me. And I can reflect upon all the wonderful things about GKTW over the course.

I am still planning on walking the 5K. I figure it is a good way to get off the ship early and explore the island. No running, though!

I'm still going to do it. May not be a 'fundraiser' but it will be a fun-raiser for me. And I can reflect upon all the wonderful things about GKTW over the course.

:thumbsup2

Thank You Todd... we will be out there too.... but we will be in your rear view mirror for only a few minutes before you are out of sight.

I'll send in the money raised the week of the October 4th and will let everyone know on this thread how much we ended up with.

Mark

:thumbsup2

Thank You Todd... we will be out there too.... but we will be in your rear view mirror for only a few minutes before you are out of sight.

I'll send in the money raised the week of the October 4th and will let everyone know on this thread how much we ended up with.

Mark

Hi Everyone,

Today we raised another $269.00 for GKTW bringing our overall total to $639.00. I sent the donation into GKTW this afternoon.

I'm sure they will be happy,

Mark

DS10 and I are still planning on walking the 5K. We are working on setting up a page at firstgiving.com so when we bug our friends and relatives, the $$ will go straight to GKTW. :thumbsup2
If we get any cash or checks, we'll drop them off at the village when the cruise returns. I think it's important for DS to see where the $$ is going. He's too young to volunteer, but seeing the facility and the families who benefit from our fundraising should have an impact on him.

--Hillary

Not sure what I'm getting myself into - I am sooo not a morning person and add jet lag on top of that... But I'm trying to get back into running and this seems like an awesome goal to work towards. If I don't show up, I'm sleeping, but otherwise count me in! :)

I'm not sure we will be out there, since I booked a morning event...but who knows....I can still donate though...

This is for those who were planning on walking the 5K and want to be in the group picture. You are probably going to have to make the decision on whether to walk or get your picture taken. It will be highly doubtful that you will be able to do both events.

Per previous Navigators the 5K (3.2 miles) will start at 8:30 a.m
Walkers doing a 5K, if walking a moderate to brisk pace will probably do a 20 minute mile pace, that is not stopping and taking pictures along the way or taking in the beauty of the island, at best case, plan that you won't be finished until about 9:40 AM

This is for those who were planning on walking the 5K and want to be in the group picture. You are probably going to have to make the decision on whether to walk or get your picture taken. It will be highly doubtful that you will be able to do both events.

Per previous Navigators the 5K (3.2 miles) will start at 8:30 a.m
Walkers doing a 5K, if walking a moderate to brisk pace will probably do a 20 minute mile pace, that is not stopping and taking pictures along the way or taking in the beauty of the island, at best case, plan that you won't be finished until about 9:40 AM

We are really struggling with this at our house. My son was looking forward to completing a 5k and donating to GKTW. We also have worked pretty hard to make this trip happen so we can meet and celebrate with other DISers. I understand that there are only so many hours in a day and so many places that can hold the whole group, but I'm still pretty bummed that we are going to have to give up one event or the other.

--H

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter