• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PPC 2.0 Castaway Cay 5k - GKTW Fundraiser Idea

Renysmom

DIS Veteran
Not sure how many of you are aware that there is a Castaway Cay 5k event held on CC port days. The event is held first thing upon docking at CC

What I know so far of the event is that the 5k is listed as a family event on the navigators (I am looking into age requirements now). I know that only those who are registered are allowed on the Island during the run and that it starts about 8:00 am and that a castmember oversees the entire thing. I also know you have to pre-register so that the ship can notify CC cast members that it is happening and how many will take part so they can prepare the Island. Anyone who starts and finishes the run gets a certificate of completion signed by the Captain and Mickey.

As I said, I dont know the age restrictions for children yet nor do I know about the walk-run aspect but I will find that out when my group does it in October. My Dis Meet-up group for our Nov 7 day is planning on running and I will have a hands on description then. I will also find out if there is a maximum number allowed to run. There have been very positive posts about this on the cruise forum and on the passporter site

Here is my idea - Since there is no Muddy Buddy or Marathon the weekend before or after PCC 2.0 how about we make the 5k a fundraiser for GKTW and see how much money we can raise on the cruise. If we can get 50 cruisers to run and each one raises say $150 that is $7500 for GKTW. A 5k is only 3.2 miles and if you don't run you have 18 months to train for it.. We can maybe get Tshirts made up so that those running for GKTW would stand out from all the other runners.

Let me know if there is interested in this idea and if so I would be happy to organize the event.

I am in... 3.2 miles is nothing compared to our typical park walking. I would perfer to talk vs run though

I know we had a couple cruisers do this last week during the cruise; Dave (Mouse Skywalker), Don (DPuck), and Karen (Klam Chowder). They can probably give you the best perspective on the race in general.

I'll probably be up for doing this since there is no Muddy Buddy in Dec 2010.

If I can work my behind up to it, I would LOVE to do this. One of my goals since our first cruise has been to do the 5k on CC.

I know we had a couple cruisers do this last week during the cruise; Dave (Mouse Skywalker), Don (DPuck), and Karen (Klam Chowder). They can probably give you the best perspective on the race in general.

I'll probably be up for doing this since there is no Muddy Buddy in Dec 2010.

Frank (FireDancer) also ran it. He like Dave is a runner.

I'd be in. Unfortunately there probably won't be a mud pit, eh?

Yup, I ran this with Don, Frank, Karen, and some others. Some other Muddy Buddies said they would be there, but didn't show up... :confused3 I recorded some audio, took a lot of pictures, and am working on a report on it. It was a fun run.

Not sure how many of you are aware that there is a Castaway Cay 5k event held on CC port days. The event is held first thing upon docking at CC

What I know so far of the event is that the 5k is listed as a family event on the navigators (I am looking into age requirements now). I know that only those who are registered are allowed on the Island during the run and that it starts about 8:00 am and that a castmember oversees the entire thing. I also know you have to pre-register so that the ship can notify CC cast members that it is happening and how many will take part so they can prepare the Island. Anyone who starts and finishes the run gets a certificate of completion signed by the Captain and Mickey.

As I said, I dont know the age restrictions for children yet nor do I know about the walk-run aspect but I will find that out when my group does it in October. My Dis Meet-up group for our Nov 7 day is planning on running and I will have a hands on description then. I will also find out if there is a maximum number allowed to run. There have been very positive posts about this on the cruise forum and on the passporter site

Here is my idea - Since there is no Muddy Buddy or Marathon the weekend before or after PCC 2.0 how about we make the 5k a fundraiser for GKTW and see how much money we can raise on the cruise. If we can get 50 cruisers to run and each one raises say $150 that is $7500 for GKTW. A 5k is only 3.2 miles and if you don't run you have 18 months to train for it.. We can maybe get Tshirts made up so that those running for GKTW would stand out from all the other runners.

Let me know if there is interested in this idea and if so I would be happy to organize the event.

This was a very informal event. We didn't get off the ship early, nor did we have to pre-register. It started about 8:30 and the guide showed us the way and then took off. It was nice to get out and run, but very informal.

I think it's a great idea, just have one concern. What if the weather is bad that day and you don't dock at CC? What is the back up plan?

I think it's a great idea, just have one concern. What if the weather is bad that day and you don't dock at CC? What is the back up plan?

EEK don't even say that... CC with Christmas decorations can't be missed!!!

I would say we run the deck, yes 3 laps is a mile so 10 laps it would be

So who is going to start the thread on the Cruise Board? Should we wait and have Tracy do it?

So who is going to start the thread on the Cruise Board? Should we wait and have Tracy do it?

Tracy will probably start one when she gets back. That way she'll be able to edit the first post, :goodvibes

Since Renysmom started this one, she can edit that first post. I'm doing that with the DL Event and then on the DL Board with the June Park Tour.

Therefore, I think this would qualify as the official thread! :thumbsup2

This was a very informal event. We didn't get off the ship early, nor did we have to pre-register. It started about 8:30 and the guide showed us the way and then took off. It was nice to get out and run, but very informal.

what is the terrain like that you run on. Is it sand (hard packed/soft) or dirt?

Renysmom - what a wonderful idea!

When we're closer to the cruise (or even when we're on the cruise! :cool1:) we could let DCL know we have a large group participating. There wasn't a certificate but there was water in cups for the runners after the race, located on a table behind the Evian water sale table.

Pre-registration isn't required - just meet at the bottom of the gangway. The footwear made it pretty obvious who was participating :rotfl:

Previously, the same CM led the runs but since he's left the ship, it has been a rotating CMs that do it. We had a Magical Moment ("Security Asst" gig ) and got to get off the ship first so I had extra time to chat to the run-leader; she's actually the Capt's Asst! Even if for some reason they don't have a run-leader, the group can run it on their own as it's on tram and bike paths.

For the same reason, there can't really be an age restriction other than a common sense restriction: is the person able to finish the 5K? Walkers could do it too, of course. The only thing I think the group would have to be mindful of is to not walk 8 abreast - just like in the parks :snooty: - because the trams and other vehicles use those paths as well. The first half mile (??) is on pedestrian paths so the group would be pretty strung out and prolly only able to run 2 abreast.

The "course" is very easy: flat and on paved/hard surfaces - ship to Serenity Bay, turn around and do one of the bike paths on the way back before heading back to the ship.

After the turnaround, I ran the first bike path on the left. A rock at the loop entrance said was 5000'; a observation tower at the mid-point had good views of the island. Interested to hear what the second bike path, further down on the right, was like. :upsidedow

I'll definitely be in for this GKTW fundraiser and I'll wrangle DH to join us as well :lmao: Let me know if you need any help organizing this - I'd be happy to help :goodvibes

cheers,
:flower3:

Klam -

I would love your help with this.... I've got a thousand things going on this morning so I will send you a PM later today or tonite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter