Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far in advance do they usually pull these permits?

No way of knowing.

I have watched them pull permits and then not schedule the work for weeks or even months.

They have pulled a permit for one building and then started on another.

Like I said, they are very secretive about the whole thing.

How and when should I make a room request at POR? we will be arriving on Oct 30th and will be two parties of 3 each. My DH and DGD want to stay in AB, (the both like the rustic feel and DGD says the mansions look creepy). The other party says anything is fine with them (first timers). Will we be able to stay in AB as they are set up for 5 guests?:confused3

You can add requests at time of booking up until about 3 - 5 days before you check-in, which is when CRO rolls the reservations over to the resort.

Just call the same number you reserved your package.

List your requests in order of importance. Keep them simple and don't list too many.

Don't call the resort number; you are just going to a central call center.

No way of knowing.

I have watched them pull permits and then not schedule the work for weeks or even months.

They have pulled a permit for one building and then started on another.

Like I said, they are very secretive about the whole thing.

Ugh, I was afraid of that... I really hope we don't end up with a repeat of our experience with Pop Century - we got a friendly letter in the mail shortly before our trip that the main pool & kiddie pool would be closed, and of course it was within the 45 day mark and too late to change resorts without penalty, plus none of the other values had availability with the discount we had. :headache: I really hope they don't do the same with any Old Man Island work; my kids like to swim on our winter trips but the walk back to the room is always chilly. I certainly don't want to be walking to/from the POFQ pool!

Ugh, I was afraid of that... I really hope we don't end up with a repeat of our experience with Pop Century - we got a friendly letter in the mail shortly before our trip that the main pool & kiddie pool would be closed, and of course it was within the 45 day mark and too late to change resorts without penalty, plus none of the other values had availability with the discount we had. :headache: I really hope they don't do the same with any Old Man Island work; my kids like to swim on our winter trips but the walk back to the room is always chilly. I certainly don't want to be walking to/from the POFQ pool!

You do know there are five other pools at POR, two of which have recently been refurbed. No need to go all the way over to POFQ.

You do know there are five other pools at POR, two of which have recently been refurbed. No need to go all the way over to POFQ.

I typically just go to the smaller pools. Less traffic, and you can do laundry while being there.

Oh, now seeing the map, I think I requested the Mansions. Would that be the closest refurbed location?

Both Acadian House & Magnolia Terrace are very close to bridge over to Old Man Island, and food court/main buildings.

I know, but the pool slide and hot tub are the biggest difference between value and mod for my family so the quiet pools aren't an equal substitute. And for either of those things we would have to go to POFQ if Old Man Island is closed.

I didn't read the enitre thread, but did read the front page. Are there still rooms with queens bed available with the trundle or is that info not out there yet?
I am planning a trip for a friend and they would like a trundle room for a fam of 5.

Both Acadian House & Magnolia Terrace are very close to bridge over to Old Man Island, and food court/main buildings.

I'm glad to hear that. This is our first time at POR and I requested Magnolia Terrace and plan on getting it. (Thinking positive.) :thumbsup2

Donna

I know, but the pool slide and hot tub are the biggest difference between value and mod for my family so the quiet pools aren't an equal substitute. And for either of those things we would have to go to POFQ if Old Man Island is closed.

Colleen I have to totally agree with you! My kids just love the slides, myself included. Because of that, I won't stay at a value. Because of my family size I'd have to get a suite anyway, so for us POR is actually cheaper because my little guy's under 3. I also have to add that I'm excited that they're adding queen beds instead of doubles! I have 4 kids, and none of them would use the trundle because they all wanted to watch the Disney channel and they can't see the TV from the trundle! So it gives me and Daddy more room in the bed!:cool1:

I didn't read the enitre thread, but did read the front page. Are there still rooms with queens bed available with the trundle or is that info not out there yet?
I am planning a trip for a friend and they would like a trundle room for a fam of 5.

No, the queen beds will be added when they do the refurb, as well as a murphy bed in lieu of the trundle.

So, there won't be any queen bed rooms with the trundle after the refurb; just a better adaptation of the original.

What is the best way to go from POR to Wilderness Lodge?

It is always best to transfer to a park that is closest to the particular resort; so MK would be the closest. You can go by bus to WL or take the ferry over.

On the way back, you can wait for the bus/ferry back to MK, or you can use the DTD bus hub. While it is not advantageous to use the hub to get to a resort; in the evening, it is very convenient to use the DTD bus hub as a way back to POR via the water taxi. It is a wonderful way to end an evening.

We're thinking of diong a split stay RO at Pop for three nights and FD for a week at POR. Does anyone have experience of how easy or hard it is to do the transfer from one to the other? We would have a building request on our POR booking on top of luggage to transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter