Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to clear something up, as we are here enjoying our vacation.

A few weeks back, I had asked the forum if ALL of the AB rooms had a trundle bed. We are only a family of 3, and didn't expect a trundle, but I asked just in case we needed to bring an air mattress for my DD (my wife and I have to sleep in the 2 beds - just too crowded as we are used to a king bed at home).

Well, the forum told me that the AB rooms all had a trundle, but we are in room 1840 now (preferred section), and we don't have one.

Again, not a big deal, but wanted to make others aware. We are still have a fantastic time so far - still a week to go before we head home!

Well, the forum told me that the AB rooms all had a trundle, but we are in room 1840 now (preferred section), and we don't have one.

Have you asked at the Front Desk about this? Normally all AB double rooms should have one - perhaps it broke?

Andre

Which is a better location Oak Manor or Parterre Place?

Depends on why you are asking, they both have advantages, what are your own preferences? Personally I prefer Oak as it's a bit closer to the main building and pool, but your priorities may differ if you want a shorter walk to POFQ, or a quieter room location.

Andre

Have you asked at the Front Desk about this? Normally all AB double rooms should have one - perhaps it broke?

Andre

Thanks Andre! Y

I checked with the front desk, and it was broke. They'll see if they can get to it tomorrow!

Thanks again for the help. I knew this forum would help out

I have questions! :cool1:

Ok, so you have probably seen me all over this place :laughing: We just got back from our first Disney trip (well, I went in 1988 but that doesn't count :p ) at ASMovies and we had an amazing time. Driving back, hubby told me to get started on planning next years :thumbsup2

So, we were gonna go back to ASMovies but then reading practically every thread on here I keep seeing over and over how wonderful POR is and for the small difference in price, this is where we're heading and I am so excited!

Heres my questions:

I see on the map that the resort is reasonably close to Epcot. Can you see the Epcot golf ball from the resort? Not important, just curious :)

We will be taking my parents and my mom is in a mobility chair. Are there elevators at the preferred buildings or should I book ground level?

Are the only preferred buildings in Alligator Bayou?

Silly question - are the showers more powerful than at a value ... I had to run around to catch the water it was so slow :rolleyes:

Is the on-site restaurant really that bad? I've read terrible reviews.

Lastly, do I ask too many questions :eek:

Thank you!

When was the last time you were there? I was there in Feb of this year and they were doing some repainting to the outside, but all looked done to the inside.

I haven't been there since 2007 and there was significant construction going on in the food court area.

It is my goal to stay at all the mods and deluxes so I have been resort hopping.

I see on the map that the resort is reasonably close to Epcot. Can you see the Epcot golf ball from the resort? Not important, just curious :)

We will be taking my parents and my mom is in a mobility chair. Are there elevators at the preferred buildings or should I book ground level?

Silly question - are the showers more powerful than at a value ... I had to run around to catch the water it was so slow :rolleyes:

I don't recall any Epcot views from POR. I wouldn't think it is possible given the location relative to the parks. We were at POP our last trip, which is much closer to the Epcot area, and there aren't any good Epcot views from there, just a few places where you can see the high fireworks from Illuminations.

No elevators in Alligator Bayou, so if you're booking a preferred room be sure to note on your reservation that you require ground floor for a medical reason. Otherwise it is just a request that you might or might not get.

The only preferred rooms are in the AB section.

I don't recall a difference in the showers but the ones at POP weren't bad. The only way any resort shower makes an impression on me is if it is too little pressure to effectively wash my long hair and I haven't found any of the Disney resorts to fail that standard, but I haven't stayed at ASMo.

We enjoyed Boatwrights on our POR stay, but that was many years ago so it might have changed. It certainly isn't gourmet food and we're not Southern so maybe our standards for "down home" cuisine aren't as high as someone surrounded by the real thing on a regular basis, but I really liked it and made sure to plan to have dinner there one night on our upcoming trip.

I have questions! :cool1:

Ok, so you have probably seen me all over this place :laughing: We just got back from our first Disney trip (well, I went in 1988 but that doesn't count :p ) at ASMovies and we had an amazing time. Driving back, hubby told me to get started on planning next years :thumbsup2

So, we were gonna go back to ASMovies but then reading practically every thread on here I keep seeing over and over how wonderful POR is and for the small difference in price, this is where we're heading and I am so excited!

Heres my questions:

Lastly, do I ask too many questions :eek:

Thank you!

We were just at POR a few weeks ago with an accessible room in the preferred section... AB. I can't compare water pressure, but the water pressure at POR was fine.

As for Boatwrights... we ate there one night and I found the food to be pretty good.... albeit not a lot of choices, but many of the restaurants are that way.

I haven't been there since 2007 and there was significant construction going on in the food court area.

It is my goal to stay at all the mods and deluxes so I have been resort hopping.

Ohh then the remodel on that is done. They just did some exterior repainting to the outside of the food court and main building this past February when we were there but that was it.

Thanks Colleen27 & ShhhQ :)

Maybe I just had a duff shower at ASMo - the pressure was very low and took ages to rinse my hair which is short!

Thanks for all the info, really helps in my planning and well, I just want to talk about it because I am excited :p

Love your pic ShhhQ :thumbsup2

Minor work and re-touching paintwork, etc is done all round the resort year-round. The last major change to the food court interior was a few years ago (2007?) when they added the make-your-own pasta/etc and re-did all the counter facing details.

They repaint the whole exterior about every 2 years or so I think. I was there during a roof re-paint in August 2008.

Andre

I just returned from 4 nights at POR. It was the only mod I haven't stayed at. In the past I never booked POR because the theming didn't appeal to me. Now that the rooms were being refreshed I figured it was time to give it a shot.

We requested Acadian House or Magnolia Bend hoping for a refurbed room. When we checked in we were given Oak Manor. Very disappointed, but they couldn't put us anywhere else, so we took to the room. When we arrived at the room we were doubly disappointed! I did not like the decor at all! The room was very "worn" looking, furniture was all nicked, the door to the cabinet with the refrig was hanging by one hinge! We needed to leave for our ADR in Epcot, so we decided to deal with the room later.

We returned pretty late, so we decided we would go to the desk in the morning to see if we could be moved. The next morning we were on our way to the lobby when we really got to see how ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL the grounds were and what a nice location we had. We decided to forgo the request to move and just enjoy our stay...and that's what we did.

Oak Manor was a great location. It was convienient to all the resort amenities and just a short walk to the bus stop.

The grounds of POR simply cannot be described. It was stunning and we enjoyed exploring the grounds.

The bus service was AWESOME! I think it was the West Depot that we used. (Between MT and OM?) We never waited more than a few minutes and never stood on the bus. What a pleasant surprise! This was our experience after watching illuminations, coming from the Halloween party, you name it. The buses were great!

I just booked a free dining trip to take my daughter down for the College Program in January. Guess where I booked? You got it! Back to POR! Can't wait to show my hubby and DD this beautiful resort.

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions!

jb

Hi joybeth! I'm sorry you couldn't score a refurbed room (hopefully on your next trip :wizard:). So glad to hear that your overall experience was a stellar one.

We are headed to POR in less than 3 weeks-can't wait!

Thanks for the trip report! :earsboy:

No one answered my question before, so I'll ask it again! :)

Whats the best mansion building to request to stay in?

My fav locations are either Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House on either side of the quiet pool between them.
Very close to bridge over to Old Man Island, and food court end of Main Building.

Joybeth glad you enjoyed your stay even though you didn't get a new room! Yes, Oak Manor is a great location. that's always been my request- either Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor. Now with Oak Manor going to Princess Rooms my request will be either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace. Also great locations.
The grounds are so beautiful, guess it's why POR is my fav moderate :goodvibes

We just came back last week from a trip at POFQ and have another trip booked next year at POR. We had a walk around there and honestly I don't like it as much, but we will be a party of 5 and that will be our cheapest route. Are they redoing all the pools? because things looked run down, and so far apart! Does anyone have the total rehab schedule?

:confused: What did you think looked run down? We were there late Aug and things looked as beautiful as ever to me, aside from the construction going on in the mansion section, which wasn't that bad.

Joybeth glad you enjoyed your stay even though you didn't get a new room! Yes, Oak Manor is a great location. that's always been my request- either Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor. Now with Oak Manor going to Princess Rooms my request will be either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace. Also great locations.
The grounds are so beautiful, guess it's why POR is my fav moderate :goodvibes

Is all of Oak Manor going to Princess Rooms or just some?
I made my request for either Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor for our trip next year.

How and when should I make a room request at POR? we will be arriving on Oct 30th and will be two parties of 3 each. My DH and DGD want to stay in AB, (the both like the rustic feel and DGD says the mansions look creepy). The other party says anything is fine with them (first timers). Will we be able to stay in AB as they are set up for 5 guests?:confused3

I'd phone reservations and have your request attached to your reservations, and also have both reservations linked- as traveling together.

We were booked in a preferred room category, I booked this specifically because I have a bad knee and need to be as close to the front as possible. I just got my documents on Friday, the room category is now water view, so after spending countless hours on the phone with customer service, they won't do anything because the resort is sold out, and they say I called at a later date and switched to a waterview room.....This did not happen!
I would never have done this, but they have me, and I can't do anything, Believe me, I have tried everything. So, I refuse to let this ruin my trip, we haven't been to Dis. since 2008. We usually go every fall, but have had 3 major deaths in 3 years and couldn't go.....So we really need this trip and some major pixie dust.
So, after looking at the resort map, if I can't get preferred, the closest looks to be Oak Manor? Is that correct. I understand that while we are there buildings 36,37,38, and 39 will be rehabbed, so I shouldn't have to worry about being back there. Our dates are 10/28-11/5.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.....any better room requests I shoud do?

Thanks for letting me vent.....Mary in Michigan(Travelgoddess)

I just made my reservations for POR this past Wednesday and didn't make any sort of room request because, well, at the time I was just excited to be going! :cool1: Now I'm still more than thrilled, but am beginning to think of room choices. I'd love to stay in one of the mansions, but I'm hesitant to request one of them because of the kids I'm going with. I've never stayed at POR, and while I've looked at the pics, it's just not the same as hearing from someone with experience. The kids I'll be going with are my nephew, 12, and twin niece and nephew, 10. Which would you guys suggest the kids would enjoy more, Magnolia Bend or Alligator Bayou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter