Podcast cruise from another podcast!

NancyIL:

:welcome: Nancy! I actually like it when I'm behind and chat goes crazy with Kevin coming into the room cuz I can just scan it and then I'm all caught up :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Personally I like hearing fresh additions, like when the e-mail show is all unfamiliar-to-me listerners. :goodvibes

Wonderful that you've got RL DisNut friends too - real life :rotfl2: - so you can check out other events. Hope you can join in the 2010 cruise. :upsidedow

cheers,
:flower3:

Thank you for the welcome! :)

I'm going to chat tonight because it's CRUISE chat! :woohoo: Anyone else?

And even trying to break the ice and talk to them was out of my comfort zone. I know how hard it is to try and 'fit in' but really no-one cares and everyone I met at Mousefest and on the cruise was so lovely and welcoming it didn't seem to matter I wasn't 'in' on all the jokes and past stories :grouphug:

I will try harder and stike up conversations on the next PCC - it can't do any harm :confused3

Wow, I'm so surprised to hear you say this Becky! You were one of the nicest people I met at the Poly Meet because you took the time to have an actual conversation with me. :hug:I dragged DH to the Poly Meet even tho I didn't know anyone either! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I guess that's worth noting too. Some people just may be shy. :blush: I'm not particularly so it's not in the forefront for me to think that others are. I tried striking up convos with a few cruisers who wearing Dis lanyards but they didn't seem to interested in chatting back, so I moved on. :tiptoe: No biggie.

Like RL, you're going to meet some on the boards/chat that you connect with more than others. I'll say no one we met on the cruise was rude or mean. :grouphug: There were differences in how friendly some were. Most were welcoming and some acknowledged you then turned their back to talk to their friends but there's lots of friendlies around to chat with :chat: :rotfl: :rotfl:

cheers,

I hope it is not all "try harder"!

It is tricky when the "in kids" and "cool kids" are already in place.

But they promised to let us join in!

I think there are some that are better known and get shout outs from the podcast team, etc., but I don't think of them as "in/cool kids". I've had a lot of great :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: because of them and their antics but I rue the day this place becomes the high school clique. :upsidedow

cheers,

To get back to the original topic - I went to Lou Mongello's site, registered, and posted on the thread about the 2011 cruise his group is considering. :thumbsup2

How exciting! :cheer2: If you go on it, be sure to post back and let us know how the ship was...:love:

I took a look at that blog on the other podcast cruisers - looked like they had some wonderful things planned for their group! :thumbsup2 I just scanned the blog but it seemed like a lot of fundraising was going on during that cruise. Here's some honesty yet I know socially undesirable response :duck: ...I'm glad our podcast cruise was not like that. Some people prefer to give more discreetly and I don't want to feel guilted or nickel and dimed to do any activity. I'd rather a general fundraiser go out and we can donate to support it thru the Dis podcast/boards. :yay:

Okay, I'm getting off this thread now :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :teleport:

cheers,

I just scanned the blog but it seemed like a lot of fundraising was going on during that cruise. Here's some honesty yet I know socially undesirable response :duck: ...I'm glad our podcast cruise was not like that. Some people prefer to give more discreetly and I don't want to feel guilted or nickel and dimed to do any activity. I'd rather a general fundraiser go out and we can donate to support it thru the Dis podcast/boards. :yay:

Fundraising -

Pretty thick when selling the t-shirts for "Give Kids the World". Pete was just this side of making people feel guilty if they did not participate.

And there was a lot of encouragement to support the muddy buddies.

Lou's “Dream Team Project" supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

All are good causes.

And to anyone that thinks Chat is overwhelming, just try. And if it is still overwhelming....come join facebook, and if you are already on facebook come and play Uno! :rotfl: Uno is a nice way to sit with 3 other DISers and chat at a much slower pace :). I surely enjoyed tonights games. Thanks for starting it up tonight, Nikkibell!

I am really shy too....but I realized, that we (DISers) have sooo much in common. We obviously all love Disney and we all obviously have the same kind of humor that appeals to us (that is why we all listen to the podcast). When I was on the podcast cruise, I was trying to meet as many people as I possibly could. I knew no one would bite! It was hard for me, but at the same time (since we have so much in common), it shouldn't be hard at all. Just remember if you are ever at a meet, that these people that you are with...you probably have more in common with them then you do your friends back home and strike up a conversation and get ready to be friends for life! :hug:

I took a look at that blog on the other podcast cruisers - looked like they had some wonderful things planned for their group! :thumbsup2 I just scanned the blog but it seemed like a lot of fundraising was going on during that cruise. Here's some honesty yet I know socially undesirable response :duck: ...I'm glad our podcast cruise was not like that. Some people prefer to give more discreetly and I don't want to feel guilted or nickel and dimed to do any activity. I'd rather a general fundraiser go out and we can donate to support it thru the Dis podcast/boards. :yay:

Okay, I'm getting off this thread now :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :teleport:

cheers,

Fundraising -

Pretty thick when selling the t-shirts for "Give Kids the World". Pete was just this side of making people feel guilty if they did not participate.

And there was a lot of encouragement to support the muddy buddies.

Lou's “Dream Team Project" supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

All are good causes.
I think what Karen was trying to say is Lou does his fundraising "in your face". I'll go for an analogy - Pete's GKTW shirt (his only fundraising up to this point, btw AND you got a t-shirt for it) was done through the podcast. So Pete's request was similar to someone sending you something in the mail that you can choose to order or not - no guilt there. No one knows. With Lou, still a great cause, but his fundraising is done at events in front of everyone so you feel obligated even if you don't have a lot of money to offer. So Lou's efforts are similar to someone coming door-to-door where you have to say "no thanks" in person and then feel horrible about it. Even if it isn't that way, if feels like it. Some people feel just because you enjoy Disney which is an expensive product, you can afford to give lots of money. But we have people here who have lost jobs and are also put in difficult financial positions. Some people had to save up their pennies to go on the last podcast cruise - it wasn't easy but they made it. I think what Karen was trying to say was, she would feel bad for those that saved their pennies to go on the actual cruise but then felt guilty about all of the fundraising efforts on the ship that you really don't want to participate in the events.

Of course that isn't everyone, but it is some. And I agree with Karen. It is actually the reason I never went back to Magic Meets. I think what Lou collects money for is a great cause - I just don't want to feel guilted into it in person and we all aren't in a financial position to give a great sum of money after paying so much to attend Magic Meets for a family of 4, pay for the hotel room, and then for Hershey Park the next day. Had I had known before, I wouldn't have stayed overnight and gone to Hershey so I could have given my hotel and hershey money to Lou. But as it was, I just didn't budget that much and felt horrible. Thankfully, that was two years ago and things have changed for my family but I still think it is a terrible position to put people in when all they want is to get together with other Disney fans.

Sorry this got long. :blush:

I have a couple of thoughts to add to this.

Our "fundraising" was actually a response to many, many requests for tshirts sales. You purchased a shirt and the Dis and Dreams Unlimited Travel gave the money you paid for the shirt to GKTW. Dreams Unlimited donated the shirts, donated the administrative work and donated ths shipping charges.

Chat moves at 100 miles per hour. It is not the place to ask serious questions for which you want serious answers. It's also not someplace where I can hold lengthy conversations.

I get really tired of the "clique" references.....the high school referebces etc.
No one that posts on these boards, with the exception of Pete, John, Bob, Corey and myself knew each other when this all started. Julie, Kathy, Teresa and Walter came in later. We all became friends by posting on these boards.

I find it difficult to listen to complaints about people being "left out" or that "the circle of friends is hard to break into". The ONLY way this will ever be any different is if YOU make the first move and make the effort to put yourself out there.

No one had been assigned the role of Shepard to go out and snatch the shy, quiet folks into the fold. We can not do that, as no one is REQUIRED to be here. People participate at their own comfort level. If you want to be part of the circle.....make YOURSELF part of the circle. This reponsibility lies with no one but you.

No one can attend all of the events. No one. I cant. John cant. Pete cant. There is just not enough time or money to do everything. You are not alone

Based on the above statement....you will have to excuse us for not attending other folks events. Between the Dis Boards, Chat, two podcasts a week, doing our actual jobs (the job that actually pays) family responsibilities, social obligations and whatever else arises.....we're pretty busy. I cant keep up with everything I need to do now...let alone listen to someone else's podcast or attend their events.

My final thought is that we have all been given a meeting place. The Dis Boards are an awesome "tool" to help make new friends. I have met many of you and feel that I have made lifelong friends. But as an example, and not a way of excluding anyone...there are folks that I havent met, but also feel that they are already lifelong friends.

I also have to say that when you post that you feel like this is a "clique" that you can break into....and people respond to your post......you are a part of the group. Folks gravitate to those they feel an affinity for....whether they share an interest, make you laugh, are willing to support, willing to commiserate...whetever the commonality is....it's here and by posting you are a welcome addition.

If you want to be part of the "cool kids"...be a "cool kid" and make yourself known. Join in. No one's going to do it for you....it's all up to you.

If you want to be part of the "cool kids"...be a "cool kid" and make yourself known. Join in. No one's going to do it for you....it's all up to you.

As I shy person , I agree completely with Kevin.

I've always found it easier to "talk" to all of you here on the DISboards. I can hide behind my keyboard.

I signed up for and went to the Toy Story meet last year - I did feel out of place - I enjoyed the party but never really spoke to anyone else there.
BUT - guess what - THAT WAS MY FAULT. It's just hard for me to jump into the mix with people I don't know. I knew alot of the board names but didn't know what anyone looked like, at that point not even the podcast crew.

Don't know if I'm a cool kid - but I'll be chatting up a storm with all of your on the cruise....

Exactly. that would be like going to someone else's family reunion.

Listen half the time I don't want to go to my own family reunion, unless it's my dis family. What make them think I would want to go to someone else's reunion. :confused3:confused3

Can you imagine if we did every activity offered by all the podcasters?!

All the DIS events, Magic Meets, West Fest, Lou's meet of the month, something up in the northwest Seattle area, WDW Today meets in the parks, and many more I do not know about.

We would have no time or money at all for D23!

I would be living in a box on Main Street.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Stop by for a cup of tea if you get the chance.
Oh and buy the way can you bring the tea, I have no money!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I have a couple of thoughts to add to this.

Our "fundraising" was actually a response to many, many requests for tshirts sales. You purchased a shirt and the Dis and Dreams Unlimited Travel gave the money you paid for the shirt to GKTW. Dreams Unlimited donated the shirts, donated the administrative work and donated ths shipping charges.

Chat moves at 100 miles per hour. It is not the place to ask serious questions for which you want serious answers. It's also not someplace where I can hold lengthy conversations.

I get really tired of the "clique" references.....the high school referebces etc.
No one that posts on these boards, with the exception of Pete, John, Bob, Corey and myself knew each other when this all started. Julie, Kathy, Teresa and Walter came in later. We all became friends by posting on these boards.

I find it difficult to listen to complaints about people being "left out" or that "the circle of friends is hard to break into". The ONLY way this will ever be any different is if YOU make the first move and make the effort to put yourself out there.

No one had been assigned the role of Shepard to go out and snatch the shy, quiet folks into the fold. We can not do that, as no one is REQUIRED to be here. People participate at their own comfort level. If you want to be part of the circle.....make YOURSELF part of the circle. This reponsibility lies with no one but you.

No one can attend all of the events. No one. I cant. John cant. Pete cant. There is just not enough time or money to do everything. You are not alone

Based on the above statement....you will have to excuse us for not attending other folks events. Between the Dis Boards, Chat, two podcasts a week, doing our actual jobs (the job that actually pays) family responsibilities, social obligations and whatever else arises.....we're pretty busy. I cant keep up with everything I need to do now...let alone listen to someone else's podcast or attend their events.

My final thought is that we have all been given a meeting place. The Dis Boards are an awesome "tool" to help make new friends. I have met many of you and feel that I have made lifelong friends. But as an example, and not a way of excluding anyone...there are folks that I havent met, but also feel that they are already lifelong friends.

I also have to say that when you post that you feel like this is a "clique" that you can break into....and people respond to your post......you are a part of the group. Folks gravitate to those they feel an affinity for....whether they share an interest, make you laugh, are willing to support, willing to commiserate...whetever the commonality is....it's here and by posting you are a welcome addition.

Well said Kevin!:thumbsup2
Oh and BTW I am a cool kid! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

One more thing -- you don't learn the back-stories and get to know everyone overnight. It takes effort and time on your part. You have to want to invest the time into this group of really great, friendly people. But if you do, I promise you will learn the stories quickly and will soon become "one of the cool kids". At least I hope so. I'm still trying for my cool kid status :sad2:

I am just in a La La land of my own and think I am a cool kid.

I went to the TSM meet last year not knowing anyone but DH.
I did meet some people and have felt a part of this group ever since.
I now have some very special friendships and you will too.. :)

First of all:
Kevin was right
Not that that's news to anybody.:worship:

I understand that feeling. I was at WDW during MouseFest last year, too, and I went to the DIS tree lighting ceremony. Most of the people there were strangers to me, so I didn't stick around long.

In that case we may have already met. Val & I were there too and we hung around for a while.

I wish we had found each other!

I was with a friend from high school who was not a Mousefester. She stayed in the lobby and did her email when I went to the Mega-Meet. She was tired and went back to the room instead of the Toy Story party. (I am so sorry, Pete. She was on of the no-shows) She kept saying I was going to a private party with "my friends", but I didn't really know anyone.

I will do better next time!

We were at the TSM party and had a blast. Spent a lot of time chatting with Kathy (Safetymom) and nibbling on the nibbles. Actually only did TSM three times - my elbow as hurting after the 2nd one and I needed a break.

Please if anyone attending any of the DIS Unplugged events this year hasn't connected with someone beforehand please approach me. I'll introduce you around.

I would love for everyone to feel connected at these events. I think it is great getting to meet people in person that we have talked with on the computer.

Kathy's a great resource at these things. Its funny, we all have our different personalities. On line, I'm always making posts while my wife is seldom seen on line. But in :3dglasses its my wife doing all the talking while I'm standing quietly at her side occasionally nodding and offering supporting noises.

Really, we don't bite - although some of us nibble. :surfweb:

First of all:
Kevin was right
Not that that's news to anybody.:worship:

In that case we may have already met. Val & I were there too and we hung around for a while.

We were at the TSM party and had a blast. Spent a lot of time chatting with Kathy (Safetymom) and nibbling on the nibbles. Actually only did TSM three times - my elbow as hurting after the 2nd one and I needed a break.

Kathy's a great resource at these things. Its funny, we all have our different personalities. On line, I'm always making posts while my wife is seldom seen on line. But in :3dglasses its my wife doing all the talking while I'm standing quietly at her side occasionally nodding and offering supporting noises.

Really, we don't bite - although some of us nibble. :surfweb:

Speak for yourself! pirate:

First of all, am I a cool kid?????

I want to share a story about me. (everyone wants to listen right??) I am shy (I really, really am). I don't do the best job of putting myself out there to new people. It is painfully hard for me. When I moved to this community I was invited to a luncheon for a group called the Newcomers Club. It was for women that are new to the community. It was very hard for me to make this step, but I did it. I ended up sitting with another gal that was fairly new. People introduced themselves, welcomed me, and then went on with their friends. No one asked me to join in their little circle of friends. But I decided that day that if I wanted to be a part of this group I had to be the one to put myself out there. I couldn't expect everyone else to hold my hand as I made my way through. So I signed up to join the mom's group and the book club and the bunko group. Four years later, I am just now stepping down from the board. I have planned the luncheons, community service projects, and been president of the club. But I couldn't have done any of that if I hadn't put myself out there and taken the first step. To tihs day, I'd rather go with someone than alone to a social function. I still don't talk well to people I don't know. But, I have learned that in life that if I don't have friends it's not because I'm ugly, fat, or shy - it's because I don't put myself out there.

The same thing goes for these boards. You have to put yourself out there. I didn't meet a mean person on the cruise. There are people that I definitely have more in common with than others, but that is going to be true no matter what type of group you are in.

When I come to the boards and see that people think it's hard to get to know people because of the history- that is the same as real life. Anytime you are new to the group there is going to be history. I have found in life that if you go into something thinking a group are a certain way (snobby, cliche, close knit), you are going to have a harder time fitting in because you've already decided how the people are going to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter