Paying for Tips *** DCL Makes a Change ***

It would be really nice if they offered this option, especially since they are so environmently friendly. I hate wasting trees just to check to make sure the charges on my account are correct, and I like to check them daily.

I sailed Carnival last year and really enjoyed that they had kiosks where I could slide my card and check my account daily. I liked knowing where I was with my spending, without ending up with a ton of print outs.

I'm glad they're doing this, but know a lot of people will be frustrated. Obviously as even some on this thread are.

I personally prefer to pre-pay tips. There are so many "extra" costs I never think about with a vacation so I like having that large chunk already paid for. I prepaid for our June cruise last week. Trying to cover as much of the incidental as I can.

Posted by my TA today:

The process will create a more seamless experience for your Clients by automatically charging folios on embarkation day with the suggested gratuity amounts for the Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess.

this answers the when question- embarkation day, which is I believe the day you get on the ship? Right??

My TA sent me a email about this yesterday and I like the policy- there will (in my opinion) be far fewer people standing in line this way! (which I think is Disney's reasoning- making sure the most guests have a positive experience as possible)

I'm glad that you don't mind taking time out of your vacation to do these things but I don't.

I've not been by guest services where I haven't had to wait in a line.

I was on the March 30th Magic and was actually surprised that many times we walked by guest services and there was no one waiting at all. I tried to think if I needed anything, but couldn't. I guess if I'd had a problem there would have been lines all the time :lmao:

The Magic and Wonder do not have IP TV's like the Dream and Fantasy, just TV's receiving a regular antenna closed circuit system.
They would need to be re cabled to work on a modern hotel type system with on demand movies, account charges etc.

The Magic "might" be upgraded when she has her overhaul if DCL think the extra costs are worth the extra $'s.

Ex Techie :)

Thanks for the response.

I agree 100% with GatorMomInNC

I'm ok with the new DCL policy, because it will hopefully weed out people like the person described above. I really do believe that no tipping for some people is a way to save money for them no other reason. I have no doubt there are some issues which would make someone reduce the tip. But I believe there should always be an explanation as to why.

I really think it is time for people to stop assuming PrincessTrisha is a cheapskate or just doesn't want to tip at all in order to save money. Like I said previously, she has posted on another thread why she removed those tips.

The way we view this new change in my house.....we now don't have to go to GS unless we want to decrease our amount. Before we for sure had to go to do any tipping at all! So unless we receive bad service we don't have to stand in any line! If we receive better service we can just add a little cash to the envelope. DCL just saved DH some time standing in line ;)

Kayla

The whole tippiing thing is an artifice. Cruise lines need most people to tip the recommended amount to properly compensate their employees. It isn't and really never has been based on the level of service provided. That is just something the cruise line says because they don't want to take the marketing hit of raising prices.

The reason these threads get out of hand is because the vast majority of us know it's a game. We also know there is a small segment of the cruise population who will regularly pay less than recommended tips to control their costs while blaming service. And this actually increases our cost of cruising. So anything the lines do to make it harder to pay less is ok with us, because it never really has been tied to service anyway. Service is a training, experience, and luck of the draw issue.

This is a step closer to no tip cruising, and I am all for it. If they did away with the tipping artifice, the cost increase would actually be much less than $12 per person per day. Between getting rid of the non-tippers and avoiding the administrative burdens of a tipping regime, I bet the actual increase would be closer to $8 or $9 to get employees compensated as they are now. So if one wonders why these threads get out of hand, it's because the chronic non-tipper is costing a family of four about $100 on a 7-day cruise.

This is a step closer to no tip cruising, and I am all for it. If they did away with the tipping artifice, the cost increase would actually be much less than $12 per person per day. Between getting rid of the non-tippers and avoiding the administrative burdens of a tipping regime, I bet the actual increase would be closer to $8 or $9 to get employees compensated as they are now. So if one wonders why these threads get out of hand, it's because the chronic non-tipper is costing a family of four about $100 on a 7-day cruise.

DCL does not charge the servers a fee for collecting their tips.

Are you saying the DCL would kick in the other $3-$4 per person per server (the difference between your $8 or $9 and the recommended, sorry - now charged, $12 a day).

what are these gifts cards that several people have referred to?
and what is the discount on them?
(i must live under a rock - so many good ideas i'm completely unaware of!!)

I buy mine at Target and when I pay with my Target card, I get a 5% discount. Every little bit helps.

Whether I do or not is not the point. The point is, if DCL has been doing this on the Magic for a year - why isn't it in my cruise documents, on their website, or somewhere for me to see ahead of time.

Changes that are made should be made with enough time for people to cancel without penalty.

I only go to guest services if I absolutely have to - I only wait in lines on vacation if I absolutely have to. I spend enough time in "real life" dealing with stuff like this, I don't want to deal with "bureacracy" when on a cruise.

Now if I want to change the amount, I have to stand in line OR accept that I am paying full tips for lackluster service.

And DCL isn't telling me until I step on board.

They can send emails reminding me to spend, spend, spend (book excursions, book spa appointments, don't forget the bon voyage gifts!) but can't tell me that that the recommended gratuities will be charged to me automatically.

I don't know if it's already been said, but when I cruised the Magic last October, it was in my cruise documents that this was the recommended tips, and that they would automatically be charged to my stateroom and the coupons delivered to me the last day.

Are you saying the DCL would kick in the other $3-$4 per person per server (the difference between your $8 or $9 and the recommended, sorry - now charged, $12 a day).

No. Because there are tip reducers, disney would need to collect less than $12 per person to give servers the same revenue they currently receive.

Plus there is a significant overhead component to administering tips that would be eliminated.

You could look at some of your pictures on the Fantasy's TV on the MV. I thought that you could see your room charges also, but will double check with DH tomorrow. I remember him saying something about that.

We were able to look at the onboard charges from our room TV on the MV.

Not sure if this has been posted (did not read the whole thread), but here are some tips about the grats:

You can add prepaid grats any time up to 3 days prior to sailing by calling DCL (if booking with a TA have them call)

If you want to use a GC or a rewards card and do not want to stand in line at The GS desk just call DCL they can add it as obc to your account.

As for when DCL will charge the grats, that depends. DCL charges your card at $500 for 7 nights or longer (I think it is $300 on less then a week sailings, but can not remember) So if they charge the grats on the first day it will depend on when they will hit the card.

As for service slipping. Please, please, please if you have bad service (or feel like you have bad service) REPORT IT. Do not feel bad! How is Disney going to correct it if they do not know about it. I know guests feel bad and do not want to get CM's in trouble but the CM's will keep making the same mistakes if it is not reported. NO OFENSE but this is one of my biggest pet peeves with this board. I will see people complain about a CM and say how the service was horrible but that it was not reported because they did not want to get them in trouble. Trust me, it is not fun getting coached by your team leader but it does make you a better CM :goodvibes

I just got off the phone with Disney because I wanted some clarification on the tipping. I was told that this is the break down per person in your cabin per day. We are a family of 4 so the total tipping charges for us for the week will be $336.00 unless we choose to make a change to it. You have the option of increasing or decreasing any of the amounts depending on the level service you receive. This fee will automatically be charged to our room unless paid in advance. You may prepay by calling Disney directly, but you can not make these payments online.

PER DAY
Person cleaning state room receives $28.00
Head Waiter $28.00
Assistant Waiter $21.00
Maitre D' $7.00

Not sure if this has been posted (did not read the whole thread), but here are some tips about the grats:

You can add prepaid grats any time up to 3 days prior to sailing by calling DCL (if booking with a TA have them call)

If you want to use a GC or a rewards card and do not want to stand in line at The GS desk just call DCL they can add it as obc to your account.

As for when DCL will charge the grats, that depends. DCL charges your card at $500 for 7 nights or longer (I think it is $300 on less then a week sailings, but can not remember) So if they charge the grats on the first day it will depend on when they will hit the card.

As for service slipping. Please, please, please if you have bad service (or feel like you have bad service) REPORT IT. Do not feel bad! How is Disney going to correct it if they do not know about it. I know guests feel bad and do not want to get CM's in trouble but the CM's will keep making the same mistakes if it is not reported. NO OFENSE but this is one of my biggest pet peeves with this board. I will see people complain about a CM and say how the service was horrible but that it was not reported because they did not want to get them in trouble. Trust me, it is not fun getting coached by your team leader but it does make you a better CM :goodvibes

Having worked as a waitress from the time I was 14 until I was 40 I was very greatful for my tips {To Insure Prompt Service} or as dcl calls them gratuities! This was because my base pay was small, as I can imagine is the case with the servers on the ship! Even though it was our first ever cruise last year I pre paid our gratuities and then added a little cash to the envelope on the last night for servers who went above and beyond. Also, I took the time to write a letter to DCL praising cruise director Christian and our favorite server Jenny from Italy. It only takes a minute to write a letter but as Flick said let Disney know about your experience!! Aloha, Karen and Ron

When we sail on the Dream we can look up our onboard acct on the tv but it's never accurate. I don't like to waste paper either but I still have to go to GS for a printout. We always have OBCs from our TA &/or DCL when we sail and they are listed as an OBC but always show on the tv as $0. Also, once tips are charged to the acct, it lists them each person's separately: my name to HS, ds11 to SH, dh to server, etc. It's broken down so separate that it appears as 40 different charges each for very small amounts and it's so frustrating to read. Until they upgrade the software for the tv system, I'll still be getting printouts from GS.

I buy mine at Target and when I pay with my Target card, I get a 5% discount. Every little bit helps.

every little bit certainly does help!! thanks!!

Having worked as a waitress from the time I was 14 until I was 40 I was very greatful for my tips {To Insure Prompt Service} or as dcl calls them gratuities! This was because my base pay was small, as I can imagine is the case with the servers on the ship! Even though it was our first ever cruise last year I pre paid our gratuities and then added a little cash to the envelope on the last night for servers who went above and beyond. Also, I took the time to write a letter to DCL praising cruise director Christian and our favorite server Jenny from Italy. It only takes a minute to write a letter but as Flick said let Disney know about your experience!! Aloha, Karen and Ron

not only is their base pay small, it is zero - they only get room and board from DCL. The only pay they receive is from tips.

How does this work exactly? :confused:
Do all purchases with a Target card qualify for 5% off?
Is there an annual fee?
Can they be bought online?

We usually buy our gift cards from our local grocery store or online from Disney. I'd like a 5% discount!!

So glad they are doing this!

I HATE that they are doing this. Gratuities are Tips. Tips are for services rendered. Charging tips UP FRONT before services is, to me, highway robbery, Disney or Not. I don't like being told what I MUST tip and WHEN I must tip--tips are supposed to be voluntary and rendered for services. Now I have to waste my time going to the services desk and having it all changed. I find that annoying.

If they want to charge a daily Hotel Service Charge, then call it that. Better, roll it into my price, don't nickle-and-dime me on the back end.

</rant off>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter