Paying for Tips *** DCL Makes a Change ***

The policy has been in effect on the Magic for nearly a year already, there hasn't been a change for that ship at all. The fact that you are expected to tip hasn't changed. You also are able to go to GS and reduce the gratuity if the service you receive isn't acceptable.

I have mixed reactions but if you are reducing the gratuity perhaps this will provide better evaluations of poor service? I have almost always provided the recommended amount or normally more....but there was that one time......

Thanks for the post, glad DCL is finally doing this :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2; because (flame me now, I'm ready) I like the idea that people have to go to customer service in order to decrease the tip amount if they feel they have too. And hopefully give a reason. My guess is there are a lot (not everyone) of people that are just cheap and feel this is one way to save, by skipping tips. My one fear is people giving false negative reviews to save money.

We only decreased the recommended amount once (on the Big Red Boat), and we wrote why at the end of the cruise on our review sheet. On every DCL vacation we have gone above the recommended amount for everyone. We have also given a 'shout out' for outstanding service for several people on the review sheets at the end of the cruise.

I never had an issue. I brought cash in all sorts of denominations so I could add extra when needed. I figured the staff would always appreciate cash, plus this way management does not know what the staff is getting.

The tips are pooled on cruises. If the server is responsible for serving a table that has removed the tips, he/she is required to turn those tips in. On the other hand if the guest has given a tip in addition to what is being charged directly the server can keep it. There are always those cheapskates that claim they are tipping directly but in the end don't tip at all. If however the same server is claiming to not be tipped and therefore have nothing to turn in, he/she is either keeping the tips, which is against policy, or a really bad server and not getting tips.

No WAY....we have a great server and give him extra and a poor assistant and give him less and they are pooled?????? I never knew this....

My problem isn't that they are doing this (I find it more convenient), it's how they are doing it. If final payment is due 75 days in advance, then any changes should be delayed so that anyone who is less than 75 days in advance has the chance to cancel without penalty.

I am disappointed to know that I am booked on the Magic for April 30th and no where is it in my paperwork that I will have my tips automatically charged to my account.

I think DCL has been back handed about this and I don't like that.

My initial post. Basically what I said. But then people started to pick it apart and challenge my opinion so I had to continue to elaborate and add to it.

"You can choose to pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins by contacting Disney Cruise Line; or, for the convenience of our Guests who have not pre-paid, the suggested gratuity amounts may be added to your onboard account, dependent upon the ship you are sailing on, based on the length of your voyage as shown in the table above.

If you wish to modify or make changes to the gratuity amounts or would like to pay in cash, please stop by our Guest Services desk, located on Deck 3, Mid-ship, at anytime during your sailing."

Can I call DCL directly if I booked through a travel agent? I have already paid my cruise in full, but we don't sail until the fall.

Whether I do or not is not the point. The point is, if DCL has been doing this on the Magic for a year - why isn't it in my cruise documents, on their website, or somewhere for me to see ahead of time.

Changes that are made should be made with enough time for people to cancel without penalty.

I only go to guest services if I absolutely have to - I only wait in lines on vacation if I absolutely have to. I spend enough time in "real life" dealing with stuff like this, I don't want to deal with "bureacracy" when on a cruise.

Now if I want to change the amount, I have to stand in line OR accept that I am paying full tips for lackluster service.

And DCL isn't telling me until I step on board.

They can send emails reminding me to spend, spend, spend (book excursions, book spa appointments, don't forget the bon voyage gifts!) but can't tell me that that the recommended gratuities will be charged to me automatically.

Hum, so when there is no line, early in the cruise,I go to guest services and I say please place zero tips on my charge as I prefer to hand my service providers traditional tip envelopes with cash. Then I have reset the clock.

Hum????

Can I call DCL directly if I booked through a travel agent? I have already paid my cruise in full, but we don't sail until the fall.

You could call your TA and ask them, or call DCL direct and ask them.

I'm not a TA or a DCL CM anymore, not that a ship Crew Member apart from maybe a GS Crew Member would know anyway, but both of those would be my first choice tomorrow!

Ex Techie :)

Would "I wish DCL would have communicated these changes to me via email or mail, not to find out via internet board, not that it matters to me really" have been a better way of saying it then?

Well, she did. Multiple times. Just because she didn't use exactly the words you would have chosen does not mean she did not communicate it in an understandable manner. I believe I understood her point several posts ago.

But then, you and I seem to be doing a little bit of talking past each other as well. Communicating online can be tricky.

But thanks for the discussion. I have my opinions on things, but multiple viewpoints are always appreciated.

Regardless of how my tips are handled, I am so looking forward to a vacation!
:cool1: :beach:

Hum, so when there is no line, early in the cruise,I go to guest services and I say please place zero tips on my charge as I prefer to hand my service providers traditional tip envelopes with cash. Then I have reset the clock.

Hum????

It's really not an issue :thumbsup2

Unless you make it one...... :sad:

No WAY....we have a great server and give him extra and a poor assistant and give him less and they are pooled?????? I never knew this....

As I mentioned I have not been on DCL and don't know how they work.

In the past I have been VERY active on cruise critic and have learned alot. I also have a very good friend who worked in guest services on a cruise ship.

Hum????

I'm glad that you don't mind taking time out of your vacation to do these things but I don't.

I've not been by guest services where I haven't had to wait in a line.

It's really not an issue :thumbsup2

Unless you make it one...... :sad:

Well you see, I never had to stand in line before as I always tipped in cash.
The 90% (or insert large amount of times) when the tip was increased I can still do that. For those times when the tip was reduced, I will have to stand in line. Hence, an issue. I do not like lines...strangely though I manage at WDW.....:rotfl:

Well, she did. Multiple times. Just because she didn't use exactly the words you would have chosen does not mean she did not communicate it in an understandable manner. I believe I understood her point several posts ago.

But then, you and I seem to be doing a little bit of talking past each other as well. Communicating online can be tricky.

But thanks for the discussion. I have my opinions on things, but multiple viewpoints are always appreciated.

Regardless of how my tips are handled, I am so looking forward to a vacation!
:cool1: :beach:

Wishing you a great cruise and fantastic time aboard with great service! lol!
I BET it will be amazing!

I'm glad that you don't mind taking time out of your vacation to do these things but I don't.

I've not been by guest services where I haven't had to wait in a line.

Now you understand why I do not like the new policy as it means I have to stand in line when I did not before.....

I wonder why we cannot add tips via an account on the TV screen.
Pull up account, insert code, insert tip amount. Confirm, send - done.

Oh well, Maybe next year!

As I mentioned I have not been on DCL and don't know how they work.

In the past I have been VERY active on cruise critic and have learned alot. I also have a very good friend who worked in guest services on a cruise ship.

Yes, I saw that clarification after I had already posted. Thanks for taking the time to respond....

I'm glad that you seem to have access to a crystal ball that tells you that I will "unlikely" have to change my tipping amount. No one knows in advance what their service will be like.

For those who do not like the change, it does say if you want to pay in cash that you can. Why not just do that early on in the cruise. Guest Services isn't always busy. Just stop by on day 2 and tell them you are paying all your gratuities in cash and do not charge any to your account. This way you can decide whatever you want.:scratchin I just wish they would let the Youth Counselors accept tips individually.

You could call your TA and ask them, or call DCL direct and ask them.

I'm not a TA or a DCL CM anymore, not that a ship Crew Member apart from maybe a GS Crew Member would know anyway, but both of those would be my first choice tomorrow!

Thank you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter