Park Security

I worry more about an attack at the bottleneck Disney has going on in the security area & park scanners than Disney Springs. I guess because at DS, it's so open, there's more places for people to run & escape. At the park entrances, you're kind of stuck in a huge crowd, in a small area. My DD (13yrs. old) is now saying she's scared to go to Disney in September. :sad1: I've tried to reassure her, but she's not stupid & everything is all over the news & the internet.

I agree that the security bottle neck outside the parks is a concern as well. As others have mentioned, Disney does have plain clothes security and cameras monitoring these areas, but in very large crowds anything could happen.

Honestly, I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind. We go every year for Christmas and NYE and we felt a little nervous on NYE at EPCOT. So much so that we left. I know - the terrorists won by ruining out night but we felt better safe than sorry.

I work in NYC, so there's no way to escape the threat. It's something I think about every day, honestly. I'm vigilant and I keep it in the back of my mind. I do think Disney has some of the best security, but the Disney Springs thing scares me a bit. I've adopted the mentality that if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. It's a grim mentality but unfortunately if someone has their heart and mind set on doing something, they're going to do everything in their power to accomplish it. You just have to hope that Disney has the security to take them down before it happens. I guess that's where the trust comes in.

It can happen at Disney just as much as it can happen anywhere. No one went to Pulse thinking "maybe I won't go because we can be attacked." It's a truly sucky situation. The fear will fade, but the vigilance shouldn't.

For concerts at house of blues you go thru bag check and individual check with a wand

Yeah, I've been to a couple of concerts there. I see I missed out the word 'further' in what I said. I was just trying to say, that that is something independent from what DS as a whole would do. It is a just something that is done at any concert venue. At least in my experience. I've been to Warped Tour a few times and gone through the same security process.

Heard on the news earlier today that gunman was in WDW in April (they showed MK but not sure if that is where he was). If he was, hope he saw the bag check and scanners and this deterred him from going there. We were there a few weeks ago and my DH was pulled to go through the scanners quite a few times. He wears a phone holder on his belt with a little magnet to keep it closed and it set off the alarm each time. Willing to go through all this for safety, it is just a shame though.

Disney probably the fastest place in North America. That being said if someone wants to do harm chances are they will. Somehow and someway they always do.

I worry more about an attack at the bottleneck Disney has going on in the security area & park scanners than Disney Springs. I guess because at DS, it's so open, there's more places for people to run & escape. At the park entrances, you're kind of stuck in a huge crowd, in a small area. My DD (13yrs. old) is now saying she's scared to go to Disney in September. :sad1: I've tried to reassure her, but she's not stupid & everything is all over the news & the internet.

This is more realistically a problem than most anything else at WDW in my opinion.

Metal detectors and bag checks are only deterrents and make you feel safe. There are points of the days where there are several hundreds, of people just standing at the entrance of MK. Just thinking about it, someone could make an ADR for Chef Mickey's and make the short walk to MK and do far more damage than what happened at Pulse. There's not anyway around it. You can ban weapons, but if someone is willing to go through with something like a mass shooting, they don't care how they get the weapons. Best course of action, IMO, would be highly trained and armed plain clothes security at all bottlenecks.

This is more realistically a problem than most anything else at WDW in my opinion.

Metal detectors and bag checks are only deterrents and make you feel safe. There are points of the days where there are several hundreds, of people just standing at the entrance of MK. Just thinking about it, someone could make an ADR for Chef Mickey's and make the short walk to MK and do far more damage than what happened at Pulse. There's not anyway around it. You can ban weapons, but if someone is willing to go through with something like a mass shooting, they don't care how they get the weapons. Best course of action, IMO, would be highly trained and armed plain clothes security at all bottlenecks.

How do you know they are not there now?

AKK

For what it's worth, we were there last week before this tragedy and my husband and I were picked for the metal detectors almost every time. My 13 year old sister-in-law was even picked once (guess she looks older). I imagine security will tighten more, and I'd be fine if they add a few more detectors.

The theme park community has been hit hard, apart from the kid from Forbidden Journey a friend of mine lost 2 additional friends from universal, another lost 3 from WDW, the unofficial word is 13 Cast members. All my CM and TM friends are in mourning.
Orlando will never be the same
Again, there would be no appropriate way to "like" this. All I can say is that I am so, so sorry for your losses. Really, there is nothing I can say and I wish that I could say or do something, but I can't.

Just my opinion, but I think people over estimate the "behind the scenes" security. It seems like some watch too many movies. But I feel like believing that helps people relax and feel more safe. So that is good. I agree, checking all strollers, ECV's (driving over a mirror or clear platform, checking the battery, etc) seems prudent. I know I will be more alert to my surroundings when we visit like many here discuss, and I feel that if everyone does this and is not afraid to report anything shady, the world will be a safer place. Just so sad for those families affected this week...

Just my opinion, but I think people over estimate the "behind the scenes" security. It seems like some watch too many movies. But I feel like believing that helps people relax and feel more safe. So that is good. I agree, checking all strollers, ECV's (driving over a mirror or clear platform, checking the battery, etc) seems prudent. I know I will be more alert to my surroundings when we visit like many here discuss, and I feel that if everyone does this and is not afraid to report anything shady, the world will be a safer place. Just so sad for those families affected this week...

Keep in mind Disney receives over 600 million visitors (worldwide) per year. One incident would immediately have a negative impact on revenue. Disney has deep pockets and uses cutting edge technology to protect its revenue stream. If Disney can display your name as you exit it’s a small world, they can apply filters on MB transmitter receivers and biometric cameras and locate the bad guys quickly.

I went to Epcot yesterday afternoon thinking security would be ridiculously tight but the guy barely even looked in my backpack. I had all zippers open and he did not even bother looking in every pocket. There was no one behind me in line so it's not like he had to hurry. I was surprised.

Security does profile you (profiling is how you determine risk) Are you by yourself, did your bag appear to be heavy as you carried it (there will be times when they pick up the bag, if its not heavy there probably not a gun), Male female, age, people you are with, your actions, as well as many other factors.

Part of it is believing, part of it is deterrent. A night club with 1 officer vs. a park with perceived increased security. The path of least resistance. As others have said nothing is 100%, the concerns with crowds outside of the security while legitimate are not just a Park issue. A sporting event, a concert, as well as many other spaces with security.

You need to have awareness of your surroundings. As a DC area resident formerly of the NY area you make decisions on what is best for you and your family. You measure the risks, you look at available information and make a decision. There have been a number of times we have avoided DC due to certain security concerns. The day prior to the shooting we were in a very high foot traffic, lots of outside dining, bars, young adults. I sat there thinking about the "what ifs", and how to get out of the area. It's no different than when you are on a plane or a movie theater, you know where the exits are. Unfortunately this is the new normal, just like after 9/11 there was a new normal. With that said we made last minute plans to head down this weekend. I don't have any concerns but obviously I will be aware of my surroundings.

I also hope they are screening what's coming in the back door (CM's as well as delivery trucks).

You make a very good point. This needs to be done.

Disney is such an iconic landmark, I strongly believe that they are not by themselves in maintaining security. I'm sure the FBI/CIA monitor the "chatter" After 911 all of Disney became a no fly zone

Disney is not a no fly zone. I have definitely seen planes fly over MK while waiting to watch the fireworks. Either way, the pentagon was a no fly zone on 9/11 and that didn't stop anything. I just hope Disney is protecting their guests from all angles....including the air.

I read this whole thread and many of you say this kind of stuff can happen anywhere, and although I agree, even though it can happen anywhere, I have always believed Disney World could be higher than other places on a list of targets. It is the perfect place to hit americans in the heart. It is a destination loved by many. An area where there are easily thousands of people in any given location several times a day. (Think, Fantasmic) The damage, and the number of people who could get hurt or worse would be devastating. Children would be hurt. When I heard on the news that Disney was a potential target, my hair stood up just because this would be much much worse than what happened at Pulse. And to think this guy may have had accomplices who got away...who are still out there with a possible plan to attack Disney...very scary stuff!

Anybody can drive under those huge Welcome to Disney World signs when coming in from I-4 or 192 and there is absolutely no security. No security at any of the resorts, no security in the parking lots, on the trams, on the buses, on the boats, on the monorail, or at Disney Springs. ANYBODY can come in as far as the turnstiles without a ticket. My concern is not safety inside the parks, but safety before you get into the parks. Disney needs to do something at all those traditional bottlenecks where masses of people ware waiting to get into the parks. Just MHO.

I think there's a lot of security that isn't obvious to you and me. Not all security is in uniforms with badges that read security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter