Park Security

I've said it before on these boards. Security is just a series of deterrents. Nothing is 100%. Do not feel safe and do not live in fear. And I don't say that to scare people, but to make people more observent and vigilant. Look for exits. In a restaurant, how would you get out? etc. And above all, see something. Say something.

Have to add. If you seen something, in any park or Disney Springs, go to the nearest store/cast member and have them call security. If it's nothing, they are totally happy that you've reported it. And usually, it's just some nit wit and nothing comes of it. But can you be sure? No. Not in this new world we live in. They know how to call security, so just say something. Thank you. Rant over. (Can you tell this was my job (not Disney) for 45 years?)

I used to work in a state prison so I'm a pretty vigilant person anyway. Typically I don't worry about living my every day life in fear. I did get a little "antsy" when we went to Las Vegas this past January and I'm sure I'll be a little "antsy" again once we arrive at WDW, but only because my daughter and granddaughter will be with me this time.

I've said it before on these boards. Security is just a series of deterrents. Nothing is 100%. Do not feel safe and do not live in fear. And I don't say that to scare people, but to make people more observent and vigilant. Look for exits. In a restaurant, how would you get out? etc. And above all, see something. Say something.

Great point. There is never a guarantee of safety anywhere you are. And there will always be a way to circumvent security.

I have made it a habit to know where exits are located whenever I am in a public building. Crazy people are everywhere...sadly.

Having just come back from the world I can assure you I felt very safe.. On the roads before the bus's stops in the Magic Kingdom there were sherriff cars sitting alerting those coming in there were officers around. We saw police dogs daily where we got off the busses and in the parks and officers between the bus's stops and the entrance were you actually get in...as well as officers all over various parts of the park. The same senerios at EPCOT,Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. They were alert friendly and thorough in checking all bags no matter how small entering parks. I got extra screening twice and it was no biggie going through metal detectors.

I think there needs to be detectors at TTC and everywhere people load onto Disney transport. Also keep the current detectors to enter the parks. May have to go through it several times a day, but if we're kept safe, then I welcome it. I think as time passes and guests get used to it, the lines will eventually flow better because guests will be better prepared for each checkpoint.

As for OP's original question on security at the parks, I have felt relatively safe once inside the park, but I'll admit that I'll feel much safer now that everyone has to be screened through the detector. I hated the random selection of people to be screened because I saw too many "suspicious" looking people walk right in without being randomly selected.

We just got back yesterday...not everyone goes through the metal detectors..in the 5 days we were there I was picked twice while my DD 8 and BF never went through them...people are still only " randomly" selected. The majority only get their bags checked through or walk through the bagless area- no detectors

We just got back yesterday...not everyone goes through the metal detectors..in the 5 days we were there I was picked twice while my DD 8 and BF never went through them...people are still only " randomly" selected. The majority only get their bags checked through or walk through the bagless area- no detectors
There wasn't a massive terrorist attack there yesterday. People at the parks today are reporting ALL guests are going through metal detectors and screening today.

I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to mention that we got asked to do a survey Tuesday in MK. They took us in a room close to Hall of Presidents. One of the things they asked about was how we felt about the security getting in the park and did it make us feel safer. We talked about other things too but those things don't have anything to do with this discussion. We went back to MK on Thursday and Saturday and everyone had to go through the metal detector. Was in HS on Friday and did not have go through any metal detector. Wonder if there is any reason for that.

there's no way of being absolutely safe. We can only be vigilant and if we see something say something.
Sure the bag checks and metal detectors and under cover security might help but the WDW area is massive. Resorts, buses, monorails, the TTC, Disney Springs, they are all vulnerable and there's no way to check every single person going in.
If any one of you is coming to the parks be extra caring and understanding with Cast Members at Disney and Team Members at Universal. I know of 3 people that are in surgery right now that work to make your vacations more magical. The entertainment community has been hit hard.
EDIT TO ADD: they are slowly releasing the names of those who died. They just released the name of one kid (a 22 year old) he worked at Forbbiden Journey at Universal Island's of Adventure

Last edited:
There wasn't a massive terrorist attack there yesterday. People at the parks today are reporting ALL guests are going through metal detectors and screening today.

Well since you didn't specify that TODAY everyone was going through the detectors I felt I needed to clarify from our experiences from LAST WEEK that random screening was still taking place. My fault for jumping in..sorry

I used to work in a state prison so I'm a pretty vigilant person anyway. Typically I don't worry about living my every day life in fear. I did get a little "antsy" when we went to Las Vegas this past January and I'm sure I'll be a little "antsy" again once we arrive at WDW, but only because my daughter and granddaughter will be with me this time.

I work at a mall, and a couple of years ago they put us thru Active Threat Training. I'm sure they will be having us do it again now. It does change how you view your surroundings. In a mall there are so many nooks and crannies for you to hide in, or for a shooter to hide in, it still gives me pause every now and then. I know when I was in a store a few months ago and heard a loud BANG my first instinct was to look around for an escape route. And when there wasn't one I had an Oh Crap moment.

I'm totally fine with having to to go thru a metal detector at Disney World. Heck if they wanted me to do the hands over the head scan like the airport I would be fine. But I also know that I can't control everything, and I will go when it is my time. Gotta enjoy every day folks.

I really hope they keep it that way - with EVERYONE going through metal detectors, ALWAYS. It's not 100%, nothing ever is, but it's certainly better than nothing. I've always thought Disney to not be a safe place. It's such a big and easy target!

I really hope they keep it that way - with EVERYONE going through metal detectors, ALWAYS. It's not 100%, nothing ever is, but it's certainly better than nothing. I've always thought Disney to not be a safe place. It's such a big and easy target!

My son and I were walking out of Epcot on Friday. He asks me why they randomly choose people for screening. I told him they are looking for bombs and weapons. He looks at me and says Then shouldn't everybody do it? This is from a 10 year old.

Knowing nothing about this area (security), to people in the know, how do metal protectors detect something being snuck on an ECV? Aren't they largely made of metal? This weekend's events will make me extra vigilant on our upcoming trip. Prayers go out to employees of Disney and Universal and their families.​

Was the terror level raised in the area prior to the shooting. I ask because when we hopped Saturday afternoon to Epcot security was certainly more thorough. The bomb dog was walking around, a line of people who were selected for additional screening were waiting and at bag check DH and I both had the most intrusive and thorough bag search we've ever had and we had different people. Didn't really think much about it at the time, but perhaps they had info that something was going to happen.

Was the terror level raised in the area prior to the shooting. I ask because when we hopped Saturday afternoon to Epcot security was certainly more thorough. The bomb dog was walking around, a line of people who were selected for additional screening were waiting and at bag check DH and I both had the most intrusive and thorough bag search we've ever had and we had different people. Didn't really think much about it at the time, but perhaps they had info that something was going to happen.

That's sort of scary to think about.

I have friends there now and everyone is going through screening and they noticed the bus drivers walking to the back of the bus and checking under all the seats after it emptied and before new guests got on.

Flag at half staff today.

CkyFLQqWEAAEyFv.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter