Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
2.5 hrs? You must be faster than me, it takes me 3 hrs from Deerfield lol.
Interesting concept I’ll have to watch for details to see if it’s cheaper. I fly into FLL to visit family and have a rental car while there. When I drive up to WDW I return Alamo car to car care centre after check in. So wonder if this will be cost effective for me with having to also pay for car service pick up at train station. Does train stop at Tri Rail stations?

Let's just say my wife REALLY likes going to Disney, she typically drives on the way up, I just close my eyes and 2 1/2 hours later we're there! What speed she did getting there is anyone's guess :P But we also live in Central PBC so we're probably about 20-30 mins up the Turnpike from Deerfield.

Brightline has been very tight-lipped about its pricing model, they did not announce pricing for the Fort Lauderdale to West Palm stretch until a day or two before trains started running, so there is no telling how much it will cost for a seat to Orlando. The current run is $10-15 for about a half hour trip. Brightline runs on FEC tracks instead of CSX which is where Tri-Rail runs, it also has very limited stops unlike Tri-Rail, right now only 2 at Fort Lauderdale and West Palm. The train does not go near Disney but instead the plan for Orlando is to terminate at where else but MCO! So if Disney jumps on this I'd imagine they will start offering ME for train passengers once the service launches.

So, out of curiosity I priced out our upcoming trip with the Disney Good Neighbor hotels that offer the 60 day FP.

They all charge for parking and/or resort fee (in the $20-25 range inclusive). Including the resort/parking fee most were still cheaper than Pop - and for that you could get a Disney view, a microwave, and a much bigger room. The exception was B Resort, which is probably more comparable amenity-wise to a deluxe onsite - and that was half the price of a standard view Contemporary Garden wing and still cheaper than a moderate.

For a lot of people, paying 2, 3 even 4 times as much to stay onsite might still be a draw, but it really is making less and less sense.

Just an FYI for anyone reading...

Disney Springs hotels are NOT "Good Neighbor Hotels"
and "Good Neighbor Hotels" do NOT get 60 day FP+ or EMH.

I know
this was put out there by the big website many follow, and they in turn shared, but it is inaccurate information.

The Disney Springs hotels are "Official Walt Disney World Hotels" ~~~ http://disneyspringshotels.com/ and yes they do get EMH and 60 FP+ for the duration of this year. Next year is unknown at this point.

The "Good Neighbor Hotels" do NOT get these benefits, and there are way too many of them so I hope not in the future. https://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/

Just want to make sure folks have a good understanding where they are booking and what benefits they will get so no surprises.

Last edited:
On the poll, I voted "other."

The parking fees will, without a doubt change my future plans, but not to "never stay on site again." My reaction to the parking is:

"I will keep my current reservation. I will now consider staying off-site for future trips (never would have before). I will either stay off-site, or I will REDUCE the length of time I stay on-site and fewer day(s) in the parks. My overall, beliefs about staying on-site, and the advice I give to people about it, will now be different."

In general, this has removed a lot of the "warm and fuzzy" feelings I have about going there. I'm not really in a hurry to plan the next trip at this point. Surely that will pass...

If you look at the current poll results, you could say "not at all" is winning because it has the highest percentage. But if you think about it, every other poll option is probably not an answer Disney would like - and this is kind of a Disney fan website...
Poll could say Not At All because those people don’t have cars and it wouldn’t affect their trip. The poll choices should read- I have a car at wdw and it will (or won’t) affect my travel plans.

I'm not sure you can say you are lower middle class if you owned vacation property and could afford delux prices yearly, but the entirety of your post is spot on otherwise. I would say i am middle to even upper middle class and could not afford DVC and can do delxue, but wouldnt be able to yearly or even afford WDW every year even at a value.
I make less than the average annual wage where I live, which does put me at lower-middle class for the area. I wasn't able to afford DVC - that's why I had to sell it, lol! ;) Though it had also lost its "value" for our needs, too. Deluxe resorts used to cost a lot less, and discounts brought them down even more: they've gone through the roof, but my income has stayed the same. It costs less than $10 in gas for me to get to WDW, so unlike others, I have no real cost of travel to factor in. I've had to cut back in many areas to continue going to WDW, though - the ratio of cost to income has gotten too wide in recent years.

is that with the fees that are added at the Dolphin? Now just need to compare with parking, with fees, etc. (still probably would be cheaper at the Dolphin than a Disney moderate - and better location for getting to DHS as well)

No I didn't calculate any additional fees. The bottom line is a room at the Dolphin is going to be comparable to POFQ in price, with the same advantages plus better location. If I'm not mistaken the Dolphin is overall a nicer resort, correct me if I'm wrong. So even if it is slightly more it will be worth it.
I wonder if Disney has considered the "disillusionment factor" when making these decisions? Twenty, heck ten years ago I would have never thought about staying off site, now it is a viable if not preferable choice.

Last edited:

No I didn't calculate any additional fees. The bottom line is a room at the Dolphin is going to be comparable to POFQ in price, with the same advantages plus better location. If I'm not mistaken the Dolphin is overall a nicer resort, correct if I'm wrong. So even if it is slightly more it will be worth it.
I wonder if Disney has considered the "disillusionment factor" when making these decisions? Twenty, heck ten years ago I would have never thought about staying off site, now it is a viable if not preferable choice.

I would say it is "different" - I am sure some would find the Dolphin better and others would prefer POFQ. I would say the Dolphin has more upscale features you find in nicer hotels in major cities, etc. - where as POFQ has the theming, etc. Definitely better dining options at the Dolphin, and (especially for EPCOT or DHS) a better location

I am sure Disney has factored in the "disillusionment factor" or something similar - they have tons of data scientists that are constantly trying to find where the point is to maximize revenue/profits - so they know that this will push X% off site but they feel confident any lost revenue would be more than made up from this fee and/or from more people using ME and thus staying on property more

Apologies for being slightly off topic, but someone mentioned a grocery delivery fee. I'm seeing varying information from different sources. Is it only from certain sources?

We had a box delivered last year (non-grocery), and I don't recall a fee.

I wonder if they really thought things through in regards to annual passholders...especially FL residents. As I said in a previous post, we're local but on occasion would stay a night or two just to make it feel more like a mini-vacation. Part of the justification was that we wouldn't have to pay the $20 per day to park at the theme parks. That went away when they included parking with our annual passes. So, in about a years time, it's gone the complete opposite way and went from a subtracting about $20 per day from the daily room cost to adding an additional $20 or so per day. That's a ~$40 daily swing in the wrong direction when doing the math.

Let's just say my wife REALLY likes going to Disney, she typically drives on the way up, I just close my eyes and 2 1/2 hours later we're there! What speed she did getting there is anyone's guess :P But we also live in Central PBC so we're probably about 20-30 mins up the Turnpike from Deerfield.

Brightline has been very tight-lipped about its pricing model, they did not announce pricing for the Fort Lauderdale to West Palm stretch until a day or two before trains started running, so there is no telling how much it will cost for a seat to Orlando. The current run is $10-15 for about a half hour trip. Brightline runs on FEC tracks instead of CSX which is where Tri-Rail runs, it also has very limited stops unlike Tri-Rail, right now only 2 at Fort Lauderdale and West Palm. The train does not go near Disney but instead the plan for Orlando is to terminate at where else but MCO! So if Disney jumps on this I'd imagine they will start offering ME for train passengers once the service launches.
I’ll have to stay tuned for rail option! I only know where Tri Rail stop is because I pass it on Hillsboro, lol.
Yes, that would account for your faster time :car: We are coming from A1A and have to drive west aways to get to Turnpike and further south by about 20 min. Not counting wife’s driving, lol. I try to watch my speed on Turnpike, I always see loads of highway patrol on that road :rolleyes1 they like to hide in the bushes!

All I can say is this;

Yes it always sucking paying for something that was free in the first place.

HOWEVER! If the average stay is 7 days, and you stay at a deluxe level resort, if the extra $161 is what makes you decide not to stay on property anymore or not go to WDW anymore, than perhaps you shouldn't be going to WDW in the first place? If less than 200 bucks makes it impossible for you to go, than should you really be spending money on a vacation anyway?

I know this is going to sound elitist or mean, but it's true.

No its not. People use that argument every. single. time. an increase happens.

Those little increases here and there add up over time, and at some point, a small increase is enough to say, "nope, not doing it".

From what I've read on this thread, its not a matter of "i cant afford it", its been more of a "nope, i'm not paying that" type of thing. This one was just tacky.

For my family the increase in APs and now parking all of sudden increased our trip by nearly $400, not to mention I'm sure there are other increases that I don't know about it. So for the same exact trip that we paid for last year, we'd end up paying $400 more.

This just seems like bad business. Why wouldn't you care (and by care I am strictly speaking of money) about your loyal and repeat guests? We are the ones who spend thousands and thousands there every year. We are the ones who talk up Disney to others (I know several families who have gone after seeing me post about our trips on FB.) This just seems incredibly short-sighted.
Sure, there are return guests and superfans (like many here on the DIS). People who go every year or even more times, adults with no kids or empty nesters, people with annual passes, people who are local. Heck, I've gone to WDW 2-3 times a year for over 20 years. But think for a minute about the WDW guest who is Disney's bread and butter: the family with small children. They save up like squirrels and go once, maybe twice, in a lifetime and have a blow-out time. They key thing about those kinds of families is that, in the words of an old Doritos commercial: "We'll make more.". There is a never ending stream of families with kids that are the "perfect age" who have scrounged and saved and can finally go on that WDW vacation. Those families have an open pocketbook with full access to Mickey's four fingers. As soon as one family spends their thousands and thousands and their kids age out, another family is there to take their place to spend $200 at BBB on a princess dress and and hairdo.

Believe me when I say that Disney would much rather have *that* guest, than me. I might go twice, but it's on a DVC AP (a perk used to sell DVC). I don't buy souvenirs. I don't buy the DDP. If I'm not using my DVC points, I stay offsite. I sometimes eat offsite. I usually eat CS meals because the price of TS meals is ridiculous and when I do eat TS meals I almost always have some kind of discount. I don't go on tours and I don't go to any parties or anything that costs extra (although I have a few times over the years). I don't generate even a fraction of the money that Disney's "bread and butter" family does in the same number of days we are both at WDW.

For exactly the same dates and length of stay room only:
Dolphin $268.00/night
POFQ $294.16/night

These rate are for standard rooms in both resorts. It does not include parking fee for either hotel.

Here is the big thing, we are Hilton members and we have a lot of Hilton points, so now there is no reason for us no to just stay at the Hiltons that has the fast pass at 60 days. They give all the benefits that I care about with disney resort now that Disney is charging for parking.

This is exactly our plan. We are Diamond members at Hilton, but I've always wanted to stay on Disney property. I think this will push us to stay offsite and once we do (and realize we are saving money and not missing out) we will probably always stay offsite.

I’ll have to stay tuned for rail option! I only know where Tri Rail stop is because I pass it on Hillsboro, lol.
Yes, that would account for your faster time :car: We are coming from A1A and have to drive west aways to get to Turnpike and further south by about 20 min. Not counting wife’s driving, lol. I try to watch my speed on Turnpike, I always see loads of highway patrol on that road :rolleyes1 they like to hide in the bushes!

Hi neighbors! We live in SE Boca Raton, very close to Deerfield/US 1! I can't wait for Brightline to Orlando! We will definitely give it a try. (We see it go by all the time by Camino Real/Dixie Hwy.)

I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but has anyone tried to calculate the potential revenue from this? Some guy on local radio estimated as much as $750,000 per day. I have no idea if that’s anywhere near accurate, but at even just half that amount, that would be almost $137 million per year!

Sure, there are return guests and superfans (like many here on the DIS). People who go every year or even more times, adults with no kids or empty nesters, people with annual passes, people who are local. Heck, I've gone to WDW 2-3 times a year for over 20 years. But think for a minute about the WDW guest who is Disney's bread and butter: the family with small children. They save up like squirrels and go once, maybe twice, in a lifetime and have a blow-out time. They key thing about those kinds of families is that, in the words of an old Doritos commercial: "We'll make more.". There is a never ending stream of families with kids that are the "perfect age" who have scrounged and saved and can finally go on that WDW vacation. Those families have an open pocketbook with full access to Mickey's four fingers. As soon as one family spends their thousands and thousands and their kids age out, another family is there to take their place to spend $200 at BBB on a princess dress and and hairdo.

Believe me when I say that Disney would much rather have *that* guest, than me. I might go twice, but it's on a DVC AP (a perk used to sell DVC). I don't buy souvenirs. I don't buy the DDP. If I'm not using my DVC points, I stay offsite. I sometimes eat offsite. I usually eat CS meals because the price of TS meals is ridiculous and when I do eat TS meals I almost always have some kind of discount. I don't go on tours and I don't go to any parties or anything that costs extra (although I have a few times over the years). I don't generate even a fraction of the money that Disney's "bread and butter" family does in the same number of days we are both at WDW.

I get what you're saying. But we are a family that goes every year (or multiple time a year) and have kids ages 3, 10, and 13. We still do character breakfasts, always eat on property and stay on property, buy some souvenirs, etc. I know lots of families like ours. And for us it's not that an extra $200 would kill us. It just really rubs me the wrong way. This will lead us to stay offsite for the first time. And once that happens, we will split our time and money between Disney and other area attractions.

I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but has anyone tried to calculate the potential revenue from this? Some guy on local radio estimated as much as $750,000 per day. I have no idea if that’s anywhere near accurate, but at even just half that amount, that would be almost $137 million per year!

I doubt it's that high, but it's also not an insignificant amount of money. Google tells me that Disney has approx. 30000 rooms (not sure how inclusive that is of DVC), if 50% of people drive * average $20/day to park your looking at $300000/day. To get to $750000 every single room would have to have an accompanying car and also be paying the most expensive price ($24 for Deluxe) which is of course impossible. And that only gets you to ~$720000.

All I can say is this;

Yes it always sucking paying for something that was free in the first place.

HOWEVER! If the average stay is 7 days, and you stay at a deluxe level resort, if the extra $161 is what makes you decide not to stay on property anymore or not go to WDW anymore, than perhaps you shouldn't be going to WDW in the first place? If less than 200 bucks makes it impossible for you to go, than should you really be spending money on a vacation anyway?

I know this is going to sound elitist or mean, but it's true.

Some people budget a full amount of $ they put towards their vacations. While yes, that $161 might not seems like a lot...with everything else going up (ticket prices, memory makes, park hoppers), it adds up. Disney keeps doing this and the fact that there is no added value to this is what really does not sit well...esp when the transportation has been lacking in recent years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter