Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
For those who are still calling and emailing, if you get an "industry standard" line, reply that free breakfast is as much an industry standard as parking fees.

We want our free breakfast.

so is a loyalty program good towards free nights ... there are a lot of things that might be a positive to guests if Disney went all in on this "industry standard" message

We were specifically discussing Disney Springs. But Vegas has insane amounts of parking too.

Yea why would a local spend $25 parking to watch a $10 AMC movie?

Same with $35 at BC, to spend $50 at Beaches and Cream, B River or ESPN for 2.

Last edited:
I will take the extra security any day. Shouldn't be a big deal to answer your day and say hello. Its a welfare check.
Yeah, until they let themselves in while you are in the shower, or doing what adults do. I don't need a welfare check, and at most it would slightly change someone's tactics, but would do nothing to actually stop a shooting. Further, there are almost no rooms at Disney that actually have the type of view required to be an effective mass shooting stand, but they check ever room. It is nothing but security theater, and I'd prefer my privacy and peace.

Regardless, you can get your wellness checks, and I will go to hotels that treat me like a customer not a criminal.

All I can say is this;

Yes it always sucking paying for something that was free in the first place.

HOWEVER! If the average stay is 7 days, and you stay at a deluxe level resort, if the extra $161 is what makes you decide not to stay on property anymore or not go to WDW anymore, than perhaps you shouldn't be going to WDW in the first place? If less than 200 bucks makes it impossible for you to go, than should you really be spending money on a vacation anyway?

I know this is going to sound elitist or mean, but it's true.

Ok. That's a logical reply, though shortsighted.

Consider people who visit the resort(s) 2-3 times/year. Maybe more. If you're a three-tripper now that $161 has become nearly $500. That's no longer chump change. That's 2-3 nights at a value resort or a 1-2 at the pricier ones. Which means shorter trip durations or less trips. Which then means less money spent overall at Disney because I'm not physically there those additional days. I'm sure Disney has done their homework on this and this isn't going to break them. But from a personal standpoint, yea, it pisses me off they're doing this.

By the way, since you have 200 bucks to freely toss around, go ahead and throw it my way. I mean, you apparently don't need it. I'll send you my paypal info via PM if you'd like. Send it as 'gift' to avoid the fees... or since you're flush with cash you can just add another 4% and cover it that way. TIA!

Last edited:
I wonder how they think this puts them in line with the rest of the industry when their room rates are a mile above the industry incl Universal resorts.

Agree, you sort of hope with their rates there would be no surprise charges but low and behold here they come, perhaps electricity and water use charges could be next ?? ;)

Although I have not been there yet so I don't know but is it really fair to compare Universal and Disney? I don't know anyone who says I am going to Orlando for 10 days to go to Universal. I always hear of people saying I am going to go for a couple days while I am in Orlando for Disney.
That may very well change if the prices keep going up up up and the quality keeps going down down down.

My first thought when I heard about paid parking was, “okay, what can we take away to make up for this?” My immediate thought was an overpriced meal at a Disney restaurant. Since I am paying a fee for my vehicle, this makes me inclined to use it and save the money by driving 2 miles and eating a meal offsite. For my family of 5, eating off site saves hundreds over on site dining, even just for 1 meal. My budget is my budget, this announcement did not make me think “oh, I better pick up some overtime to add to my vacation budget so I can pay a fee for asphalt.”

This thread has gotten long and I'm certain some of these have been addressed/answered but if you all wouldn't mind doing me the pleasure of pretending like they haven't been or referencing me to a post where they have been it would be appreciated:

1) Now that they're making the distinction between day guests and non-day guests and they've made it a point to charge for overnight guests, I'm going to start parking at the Contemporary more and walk my overcharged self to MK. I'll at least feel some vindication. Sticking it to the man and all. Right? ;)
2) How are they going to enforce this?
3a) So, they're going to charge us to stay overnight in a hotel (something that was free) but not charge us to park at the theme parks?
3b) I did see someone ask about circumventing the overnight charge by simply parking your car elsewhere; a themepark or Disney Springs. I had the same thought as well. I don't know if I'd go to those lengths but someone more frugal than myself may very well find merit in it. So, how would Disney curb this?
4) Could this be a way to keep people on the park property? If some are saying "well, I'll just fly there instead" that benefits Disney because now the customer is a much more captive audience. They can't (as freely) take off and go to other places off-property. It's not really logical... I can't imagine the parking fees ever succumbing the differential in what someone's breaking point for plane tickets vs driving would be. But who knows.
5) If you have health concerns/limitations and need your own vehicle for transportation purposes, this seems like it could be some sort ADA-type issue. I realize that's reaching but it's at least plausible. I know one reason I like driving to Disney is so I don't have to use other means of transportation for health reasons.
6) So the drop date is March 21st and if you've made reservations before then you are exempt. Got it. Does that apply to reservations made for late(r) this year? December? Should I go ahead and book every Disney vacation as far out as I possibly can now so I can avoid the extra $400-500/year? (tongue in cheek, but potentially legit question)

Last edited:
All I can say is this;

HOWEVER! If the average stay is 7 days, and you stay at a deluxe level resort, if the extra $161 is what makes you decide not to stay on property anymore or not go to WDW anymore, than perhaps you shouldn't be going to WDW in the first place? If less than 200 bucks makes it impossible for you to go, than should you really be spending money on a vacation anyway?

But it does have to do with extra cost. I've seen numerous people here and on Twitter claim that this is going to break the bank for them. If it less than 200 bucks breaks the bank for your vacation, then maybe you need not to take said vacation.
It's a normal thought and one I've had before for other things but usually in reference to a larger figure and I don't say it lightly at all because to me it's a serious matter discussing actually being able to afford ___. I do think that for me included the principle of the thing can be a larger issue.

The truth is a decent amount of people operate on a budget for vacations. For some it's a straight up hard number and for others it's a more fluid number if they feel comfortable spending more even if they started out with a set number.

My father certainly didn't lack for extra funds here and there but he was very money conscious. Heck he boycotted Blockbuster for a year over late charges which amounted to a like $7 or so. Anyways when he had a firm $ amount he wanted to spend that was it. No going over it. My in-laws tend to have a budget but have no issue going over that so long as it makes them happy.

I would honestly guess that the amount of people that it truly completely and utterly break the bank--as in they literally could not afford to allocate money for parking fees is probably fairly small. BUT those who feel like the parking fees will emotionally break the bank is probably a good amount more. The phrase "breaking the bank" doesn't really seem to apply in the modern sense of just strictly in the literal sense of actually being broke.

*somewhere in Disney Corporate*

I have a great idea! Let's allow dogs at resorts! We can charge extra for them *ca-ching* and people will love it! People love dogs!
~~~massive negative response~~~
Well, we committed to dogs for a bit so let's just let it go. I bet if we tell our guests they are super secure here and start daily rooms checks, people will love it.
~~~massive negative response~~~
Ah screw it. Nothing will make them happy. Let's just charge parking fees so people will stop complaining about our completely awesome ideas and focus on our crappy ones instead.

All I can say is this;

Yea I don't think you understand how "affording stuff" actually works. See, because when I am budgeting for something, the thing might be $2000, and I might look at my income and my bills and say, yea I can afford $2000 for X. And then, when you make it $2100 ... I look at my budget and say, ah crap, I can't afford $2100 for X. For a lot of people, maybe you don't understand this, $100 - $200 can make a difference in what they can (or want to) afford or not for a vacation.

Now sure you could say, well then just stay one night less. I shouldn't have to point out that that exact thing would end up costing Disney millions, you would be changing the whole calculus of value and worth. To me there is a massive difference between a 5 night or a 4 night, or between 4 night and 3 night stays (which a lot of people do).

But thanks for telling people what they can and can't afford and how they should be living their lives.

This thread has gotten long and I'm certain some of these have been addressed/answered but if you all wouldn't mind doing me the pleasure of pretending like they haven't been or referencing me to a post where they have been it would be appreciated:

1) Now that they're making the distinction between day guests and non-day guests and they've made it a point to charge for overnight guests, I'm going to start parking at the Contemporary more and walk my overcharged self to MK. I'll at least feel some vindication. Sticking it to the man and all. Right? ;)
2) How are they going to enforce this?
3a) So, they're going to charge us to stay overnight in a hotel (something that was free) but not charge us to park at the theme parks?
3b) I did see someone ask about circumventing the overnight charge by simply parking your car elsewhere; a themepark or Disney Springs. I had the same thought as well. I don't know if I'd go to those lengths but someone more frugal than myself may very well find merit in it. So, how would Disney curb this?
4) Could this be a way to keep people on the park property? If some are saying "well, I'll just fly there instead" that benefits Disney because now the customer is a much more captive audience. They can't (as freely) take off and go to other places off-property. It's not really logical... I can't imagine the parking fees ever succumbing the differential in what someone's breaking point for plane tickets vs driving would be. But who knows.
5) If you have health concerns/limitations and need your own vehicle for transportation purposes, this seems like it could be some sort ADA-type issue. I realize that's reaching but it's at least plausible. I know one reason I like driving to Disney is so I don't have to use other means of transportation for health reasons.

1) D*** the man!
2) I hate to be the people finding this out. I also get the feeling it's going to be super inconsistent too.
3a) I guess?
3b) I'd be curious to see this
4) Likely. In full disclosure I do this already but don't mind using an Uber or towncar to get where I need to go. I just don't feel the need to rent a car for 10 days in Orlando. For any less than 4 then I would. This just seals the deal. Parking fees at Universal Hotels already turned me off to the car rental idea.
5) I've seen information related to this, might be good to ask on the DISabilities forum.

And this is why they have rapidly increased prices for everything the last several years and why your city raises property taxes all the time. "Its only a small amount, you can easily afford it." Then 6 months or a year later the same thing happens and they say the same thing and you eat that up. Before you know it, your bill is hundreds or thousands more than before.
Ain't that the truth.

One of the perks of staying onsite is that you don't have to pay to park at the park. This kind of negates that since you have to pay to park at the resort anyway. Might as well stay somewhere cheaper and pay to park at the park instead. This might be easy to swallow for those who stay 3-4 nights, but for those who like to stay 2 weeks or more, it really stinks. One of the things I always HATED about Disney Spring resorts (and why we never stay at them anymore) is the parking and resort fees. I liked that Disney didn't seem to be nickel and dime-ing me at check in. I'd rather pay more upfront and KNOW that's what I'm paying, than think i'm paying one rate and find out I have to pay another $30/room/night after I get there. Resort fees are probably next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter