Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I could see them adding something like this at the Deluxe resorts. The Deluxe resorts, with the exception of AKL and possibly WL are basically right next to a theme park. But I would hope that this fee would be for people that do not have a room reservation.

I know the Swan and Dolphin do charge for parking and they also have a resort fee. But they are not run by Disney.

Exactly! I don't want to pay extra for parking if I'm already paying for a deluxe room. We've never had a problem finding a spot at a Deluxe or Moderate resort. This is just irritating. My husband especially hates this kind of money grab. He's about ready to just stay off property.

Keep up sending emails. I sent out emails this morning to the addresses listed in this thread expressing my displeasure, and I just got a call back from Bob Chapek’s office. Of course, they didn’t say they were changing anything, and they said they were doing it largely because it’s becoming the norm at other resorts - but they also said that they had been deluged with customer response and taking a close look at what was coming in. Anyway, we’re getting their attention. Get louder.

Keep up sending emails. I sent out emails this morning to the addresses listed in this thread expressing my displeasure, and I just got a call back from Bob Chapek’s office. Of course, they didn’t say they were changing anything, and they said they were doing it largely because it’s becoming the norm at other resorts - but they also said that they had been deluged with customer response and taking a close look at what was coming in. Anyway, we’re getting their attention. Get louder.

Hi Ponderer... where are you calling? I would like
To call too?

Wow .. saw the official price structure.

So not only are they charging for parking, they are charging MORE for the already expensive Deluxe resorts? Is there some air-conditioned garages they have at the Deluxe resorts I don't know about?

For most people .. this will probably be a check-box you make when making your reservation and just pay that with your package, so most people probably won't care.

So I guess you can look at it the opposite way - this is a $13-24 dollar price decrease for those flying into Orlando. Congrats flyers! Sucks for those who live on the east coast and drive to save some money.

What I don't get is why DAY guests get in free, but someone staying overnight (and spending money at the hotel and restaurant and gift shop) have to pay.
"Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities, or visit a resort for the day"

What is the point?

This just opens the door for more fees. Annual Passes will probably go up (or have another tier) that includes parking.
Not much different than universal or Disneyland.

The thought behind the tiered pricing is location and room rates. If you can afford deluxe you can likely afford a higher parking fee. Those resorts are also closer to the parks.

As for free temporary parking it’s not really free. You have to be doing something there like dining or shopping.

Where is the list of emails. I fired off one to the general WDW guest communications one, but I have no problem copying everyone else on it.

Ugh this pisses me off so much! As I said in a previous posts.

Normal resorts don’t get thousands from your purchase of THEME PARK TICKETS. WATER PARK TICKETS. SPECIAL EVENT TICKETS. FOOD AT EVERY PARK. MERCH FROM EVERY PARK. EVERY Other ACTIVITY THEY CHARGE FOR.

I hope they call me and say that.

Next your gonna get charged for a chair at the pool “ cause other places charge money to reserve them “

Could you post the addresses? I just found this thread after the parking issue was mentioned on a free dining watch board. I haven't been able to read through all of the posts to find it. I'd be happy to send an email!

Disney Corporate Phone Number
(818) 560-1000

Robert Iger
robert.a.iger@disney.com

Bob Chapek
Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Robert.Chapek@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Last edited:
I have several issues with this. We have driven for our last 3 trips to Disney (and will for the one this summer). Until now, it has cost more for our family of 4 to fly than to drive. We also like being able to bring whatever we need with us. We also drive to the parks (unless we are on monorail) because with a double stroller it is much easier to get unloaded and loaded with our car than trying to get on and off a bus. Plus, I don't want to stand and try to hold sleeping little kids. So for us, using Disney transportation exclusively isn't ideal. And I read complaints all the time about buses being overfull; having to wait a long time for a bus; etc... Is Disney going to fix that situation if they are trying to essentially give a benefit to those that don't have a car?

We like to stay on property for the benefits of being able to park for free in the parks. But, at this point staying on property with our car will cost us $24 a night. Staying off property and paying to park would cost $22. So, staying on property gives people no parking benefit at all and in fact costs more. Why give resort guests free park parking and then charge them to park at the resort? That makes absolutely no sense to me. Why not just charge everyone to park at the parks? Then if I have a day off at the resort I would still at least get a small benefit.

They aren't charging day visitors to park on site at the resorts. Obviously, that is to encourage of site visitors and locals to still come eat at resort restaurants. So they give a small perk to those people. Yet, the people who are spending more money to stay on property lose out. Not to mention that if lack of parking is the problem, they aren't really doing much to improve that. In fact, I think more people will start to stay off property and come "visit" a hotel with a dining reservation and then try to use Disney transportation to get to the parks. I know this happens as it is and this just seems to encourage that more. Honestly, it's like they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

We bought AP's last year and stayed on property at the Ploy. We were planning to stay at the Poly for our upcoming trip as well. This is just very upsetting. I could stay off property, save a lot of money and use my AP free park parking instead. I am very unhappy right now.

I am not sure, it did not state anything about that. That poses a good question though.

I think any changes made to a reservation on March 21 and after will have to pay the difference, so if the promotion that comes out saves the person more than its worth it. This is just my take on it, as it would work the same way it would work when you book a room only reservation before official pricing comes out. Whatever changes are made between the original booking and then when prices come out officially will be added to it.

As long as the rooms stay filled all the emails in the world won't matter. I don't like this change, like many changes they make, but I don't think it will really change anything as far as my decision on where to stay. If we are planning to stay onsite we may forgo renting a car but I wouldn't move offsite due to the parking fee.

Didn’t call, just sent a polite but disappointed email directly to Chapek (and Iger and Kalogridis) from the email addresses posted earlier on this thread. I included my phone number in the email and they called me from that. The phone number they called me from was 407-934-8416, but I don’t think that will get you to Chapek’s office.

I am thinking more and more about offsite parking options. One option I would consider as "plan B" is drive to resort, drop off bags, drive to nearest long term parking, uber over to resort. I could do the reverse when time to leave. The viability of this is price per day for offsite and length of stay. If I am saving $20 per day and staying 7 nights, it probably is worth this minor
inconvenience. If the difference is $4 per day and I am staying 3 nights, it really won't be work it.

The difference to me, vs the 'upcharge' items is simply that: those things are 'upcharge' items because they're extras. How you arrive to your vacation destination is a separate function of your vacation than paying extra to go to a Fireworks Party. If my only means to get to Disney is a car - and for all practical purposes it is - then why are you charging me more for that? Yea, yea, smarty-pants, I know, I don't have to go to Disney. That could be the default reply to everything; "Hey, you don't want to spend gas money to get to work?... you don't have to work 5 miles from home, McDonald's down the road is hiring". So let's nip that in the bud.

So, really, what in the blue blazes (again, G-rated) is Disney thinking here? 1) The hotel parking lots are not overcrowded; there should be no additional charge for me to stay in a resort at a location where space is not a premium. 2) I saw someone posit Disney wants to head off an issue of people taking advantage of parking overnight to ride the skyliner-thingamabobs?... But... no one is going to be doing that anyway. The park closes and those people who left their cars at a resort overnight do what?... stay at the park's front gates overnight? Puh-leaze. I'm an overthinker by nature but even I won't go in to the ways they can remedy a problem like this because it doesn't exist. 3)

Many of the deluxes are overcrowded. When we stayed at kidani in feb it was very hard to find a spot unlike in august when there were plenty all the times.

But I am guessing they don’t want to only charge at deluxe and push more people to mod/value which is already getting harder and harder to find a room.

Emailing now! Thanks for sharing those addresses. We have gone 7 times in the last 7 years and have a trip planned for this year. I hope they'll listen if enough of us contact them and politely, yet firmly, express our disappointment and explain how this may impact our travel plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter