Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Well, that's one more reason for my family to fly instead of drive next time we go.

...Whenever that will be.

I understand parking fees are standard in a big city. But on resort property where you are already staying? Seriously? >:(

Probably gonna get a ticket when you get in and then pay when you leave. Probably as long as your out by midnight you won’t be charged. Then most likely tow after that.

Btw it’s free for guest to park at the parks when staying at a resort. What’s stops people from just parking there over night.

I mean, I could drink too much to drive my car back to the resort from the park each day.....they wouldn't want me driving it while intoxicated- that would be breaking the law. :drinking1

The truth is despite the immediate outrage, this will be easily forgiven. They are not the first or last hotel to charge parking fees. Even those outraged at the moment will quickly forgive as they see more and more high profile rides and attractions open. The extra money for parking that Disney implemented a few years ago will seem trivial compared to seeing shiny new toys like Galaxy Edge, Tron Coaster, Guardians Coaster, and Runaway Railway.

Disney is adding Billions of dollars in park and infrastructure improvements. Everything from Gondolas to I believe aren't they reworking the entrance to DHS? There is no doubt they will try to pass these costs to the consumer. As much as people have complained about not investing in the park, Disney listened and this is part of the bill for significant number of new attractions in the pipeline. Even as frustrating and upsetting these fees feel, I would rather have the new rides and parking fees then status quo. I will grumble, adjust my budget and just accept it as the new cost of Disney.

Won’t be forgiven by me and shouldn’t by anyone cause they will continue the trend of nickel and diving everyone cause they think “ well you know what they will forgive us and come anyone so let’s keep charging more “

Gotta take a stand sometime and not just accept it. Accepting something you disagree with let’s a big company walk all over you and do whatever they want. Taking more of your money

This is simply a way for them to attempt to get people to get mini buses around the area.

Believe me soon they will ban Uber drop offs

When you're running a business you aren't worried if a new revenue stream is going to make people mad, only if it will drive them away. That's not likely in this case. As for justifiable reasons, I can think of one, but I have no idea if it what WDW is thinking. There are a lot of complaints about the WDW bus system. So people choose to rent cars, park for free and drive themselves around the resort. This adds to the traffic, making the bus system even less efficient. So maybe if they discourage people from bringing cars, it will improve traffic and the WDW transportation system. I know some previous posters stated that they are helping the transportation system by bringing their own car and driving themselves, but I am not sure it actually helps having more cars driving around on property. Less traffic means buses can get to and from their destinations quicker and carry more passengers in the same amount of time. Just speculation on my part.

Instead of charging resort guests to park at the hotels, they should charge them to park at the theme parks. THAT would push resort guests towards the buses and reduce traffic in general in the area. There will ALWAYS be people who bring cars, because they DRIVE to their Disney vacation. I do think that charging resort guests to park is going to hurt business, because it's again another situation of Disney nickel-and-diming their guests. It makes people angry.

I think Disney should monitor resort parking, as in, establish a rule and ENFORCE it (not Disney's strong suit, LOL). Leave the resort guests alone... "free" parking at the resort is one of the very few perks left at Disney World! Those coming for a meal or resort visit get 3 hours of parking, with a color-coded parking permit to be displayed on the windshield. Then monitor the lots and issue tickets to those who stay overtime. Then charge everyone who wants to park at a theme park- maybe $10 for resort guests (or whatever will push people to the bus system rather than driving), $20 for offsite.

Another point he had is doesn't this defeat My Disney Experience? The whole thing about the app is bypassing check in and such. If you have to register your vehicle in person then MDE isn't working like it is supposed to.

Yeah I’d assume they will have a little gate up. Press a button. Take the ticket. Each day your there more money will be added to the amount due that has to be paid when you leave.

Well they will definitely loose me on some of my trips. Each Columbus day weekend for the past 4 years I have traveled to Orlando for a master's swim meet. The first two years I stayed at a Embassy Suites on points up near the pool. The past two years since I had an annual pass, I've stayed on property and driven up to the meet. Won't be doing that this year, since I'll be able to park for free at the Embassy Suites and at the park with my AP. Why should I stay on property?

With all the iterations of increasing charges and all the complaining I’ve seen over them I have to admit: This is the first time I’ve ever actually been legitimately aggravated (I want to use other terms but I’m keeping it G-Rated).

Sure, in the past when rates have gone up or Disney has done something along those lines I thought “well, it is what it is”. But this particular instance really burns my chaps. As AP-holders and living in North Alabama I’ve always preferred to make the 9-10 hour drive to Disney. Sure, it saves costs overall compared to flying, but mostly I just like driving vs flying due to health issues that keep me from doing well in in planes/buses. Having my own car not just to get there but also to drive around on-site is a must *for me*. Learning that Disney is now going to charge me to park overnight at a hotel I’m already paying for is infuriating. Yea, this probably isn’t going to stop me cold from visiting. Heck, I’m leaving for WDW this Friday. However, it certainly now will be a factor in future visits either by me cutting a trip(s) a day short to ‘make up’ for the additional costs, considering off-site hotels, and/or possibly not renewing my AP among other options.

I get the other side… the side that I’ve always been on when something Disney is charging/more for arises… the side that says “oh, you’re gonna go anyway and it’s only $xxx”. This isn’t the case for me with this news, though. This seems like a total money grab. No hiding it behind "oh, we want you to enjoy less crowds so we increased ticket prices". That won't fly. And I imagine if someone as gung-ho as myself is now given pause about future trips others will, too.

I absolutely will voice my irritation over such an asinine decision to Disney in some manner. Once I can get the curse-words out of my system ...

Last edited:
My wife has never really cared if we've stayed on site or not, in fact she hates riding the buses. I have always truly loved WDW, but it seems each of our subsequent trips are a little less "magical" because of exactly this sort of thing. You begin to ask yourself am I just being a rube?

The truth is despite the immediate outrage, this will be easily forgiven. They are not the first or last hotel to charge parking fees. Even those outraged at the moment will quickly forgive as they see more and more high profile rides and attractions open. The extra money for parking that Disney implemented a few years ago will seem trivial compared to seeing shiny new toys like Galaxy Edge, Tron Coaster, Guardians Coaster, and Runaway Railway.

Disney is adding Billions of dollars in park and infrastructure improvements. Everything from Gondolas to I believe aren't they reworking the entrance to DHS? There is no doubt they will try to pass these costs to the consumer. As much as people have complained about not investing in the park, Disney listened and this is part of the bill for significant number of new attractions in the pipeline. Even as frustrating and upsetting these fees feel, I would rather have the new rides and parking fees then status quo. I will grumble, adjust my budget and just accept it as the new cost of Disney.
Are the increases in tickets, APs, rooms, food, and everything else, as well as decreases in maintenance and staffing just not covering their 25% margin? I doubt it.

it just brings up the bigger question what is disney's end game. And how many more up charges are going to be enough for you to say your not going to go.

As mentioned we know more charges are on the horizon....
  • Maybe charging for fast passes like they are testing for the club level at resorts
  • Charging Resort Fees
  • Upping ticket prices when Star Wars opens

Yes but some DVC members go and stay at a Value or Moderate resort. I think that's what the PP was referring to. For example, we are DVC and paying cash for a stay at All-Star Music in a couple weeks. If we drove then we'd pay the parking fee even as DVC members.

Exactly.

But I also didn't think the room counted as a Villa unless it was specifically called a Villa on the website. Granted, I don't know that, but it seemed a pretty good assumption.

In other words, a Deluxe Studio at Saratoga with cash? Pay to park. A 1 BR Villa at Saratogo? Parking free.

Although I don't meant to start a discussion on this particular topic, but I suppose it would be important to those looking in that range.

it just brings up the bigger question what is disney's end game. And how many more up charges are going to be enough for you to say your not going to go.

As mentioned we know more charges are on the horizon....
  • Maybe charging for fast passes like they are testing for the club level at resorts
  • Charging Resort Fees
  • Upping ticket prices when Star Wars opens
1. I think that will eventually come at least for extra FPs.
2. That has been rumored for some time.
3. That's a given.

Another point he had is doesn't this defeat My Disney Experience? The whole thing about the app is bypassing check in and such. If you have to register your vehicle in person then MDE isn't working like it is supposed to.
I by-pass check-in at every stay. As an AP holder who lives out of state, I drive to Disney 5-6 times a year. This will impact my trip budgets!! APs should be exempt. Quite frankly, I would rather they increase the daily price of the resort. Ugh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter