Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Just curious: what would prevent someone at check-in from saying they don't have a car with them?

I don't remember ever being asked at the desk about having a car with me, and have definitely never had to display anything in my car window to confirm I was permitted in the lot overnight.

So how would they stop a guest from claiming to be a daytime resort visitor, but then just leaving the car in the lot for a week?

I think I get it...at least in part.

Everyone "knows" that with Star Wars land coming the parks are going to see an increase in traffic. People are already complaining how crowded it is compared to recent years past. I think Disney would rather make the same/more revenue with less people in the parks. So those of us who say they will reduce their days or trips...Disney says great! That's fewer people in the park and with all of our price increases we are still making more money than ever. And those who can afford it are getting a better experience.

Make sense to you, or am I nuts?

Just curious: what would prevent someone at check-in from saying they don't have a car with them?

I don't remember ever being asked at the desk about having a car with me, and have definitely never had to display anything in my car window to confirm I was permitted in the lot overnight.

So how would they stop a guest from claiming to be a daytime resort visitor, but then just leaving the car in the lot for a week?
That’s a question we don’t have the answer to yet.

We had to scan our MB at BC to park. I don't know about other resorts. That's the only one we've ever had a car.

Everyone "knows" that with Star Wars land coming the parks are going to see an increase in traffic. People are already complaining how crowded it is compared to recent years past. I think Disney would rather make the same/more revenue with less people in the parks. So those of us who say they will reduce their days or trips...Disney says great! That's fewer people in the park and with all of our price increases we are still making more money than ever. And those who can afford it are getting a better experience.

This is pretty much what I posted way way up thread.

The last time we rented a car was when we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas. We had also used the valet parking service. We only had to pay for Valet then. Now the charge would be $57 per night. This was before the implementation of the Minnie Van, which we found to be a better option.

Is the $33 for valet/night on top of the $24 or instead of? It's not clear to me from their wording.

Didn’t call, just sent a polite but disappointed email directly to Chapek (and Iger and Kalogridis) from the email addresses posted earlier on this thread. I included my phone number in the email and they called me from that. The phone number they called me from was 407-934-8416, but I don’t think that will get you to Chapek’s office.

What did they say?

I would imagine they'd have to get you as soon as you drive onto the resort to check-in. You'd either be arriving via DME or car, presumably. So everyone arriving driving a car they could flag right then.

I actually have been asked upon check-in if we were driving so that they could provide us with a piece of paper that we show for parking at the parks, but that was before magic bands.

My gut feeling is they don't want to reduce the number of people as much as they want to control the growth, cover the cost of all the expansion projects, and ensure that profits grow. The only thing that would reduce number people in the parks at this point is a pretty serious global recession. If Disney starts having to tell guests they are full and those guests would gladly spend an extra $50 to be on the other side of the gate, they have failed.

I’m skeptical on that. They would have to work out some type of deal with Mears. DME’s sole purpose is keeping people on property.
Don't they sub-contract with Mears now? I don't know anything about their contract but I would say that it's up to Disney to charge or not charge and Mears doesn't have anything to say about it as long as they get paid.

Could you post the addresses? I just found this thread after the parking issue was mentioned on a free dining watch board. I haven't been able to read through all of the posts to find it. I'd be happy to send an email!

Postal Addresses-

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Robert A. Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Bob Chapek
Chairman
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Karl L. Holz
President New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Mr. George Kalogridis
President, Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Shareholder Inquiries
Disney Shareholder Services
c/o Broadridge Corporate Issuer Solutions
P.O. Box 1342
Brentwood, NY 11717

Phone:1-855-553-4763
Fax: 1-215-553-5402
Email: disneyshareholder@broadridge.com

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

https://aboutdisneyparks.com/about/leadership-team

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/

I don't think this change will bring less people. It will simply make the amount of resort stays go down. But people will still go...they will just stay off-site.

This is just ridiculous if true . And if it is how long before they start charging resort guests for theme park parking ? Because it makes absolutely no sense to me to give resort guests free parking a
Why is Disney trying so hard to get people to stay away first its teared pricing for the parks to help cut down on crowds (with out hitting thier bottom line) now they add extra parking charges for staying onsite. People on a budget are quickly being priced out of being able to afford to Go to Disney

We were planning to head down this year but we may rethink our plans
It becomes clearer and clearer that Disney's business model is we want less people in our parks ( so we don't need as many cast members - $ saved ) spending more money per person per day ...cha ching !

We had to scan our MB at BC to park. I don't know about other resorts. That's the only one we've ever had a car.

I can see that for monorail and walking distance (to parks) resorts. When we've stayed at POFQ and POP we just told the guard we were checking in (being from Canada we don't even receive our MB's until after check-in). I suppose we just as easily could have said we wanted to check out the resort for a future stay, have lunch, etc.

Anyways, will be interesting to see the many work-arounds people come up with, and how Disney responds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter