Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
To me, it’s not just the added cost, it is the loss of an on-site benefit. When comparing two hotels, I *did* factor in the parking costs, because that can be (and now will be) a major expense. We stayed off-site our first few years of going. But when we could finally fit into a resort room (because oldest DS went to college), the free parking and 60 day FP+ booking are what sold me for staying on-site.

I will be writing Disney Guest Relations, and I will let them know that when people come to me asking for advice about planning their Disney vacations, I will make sure they know that there are plenty of off-site hotels that offer 60-day FP+ booking and deals for free parking/no resort fees. I will be discouraging people from staying on-site because it just isn’t worth it.

Isn’t it funny how different people have different “tipping points” for what gets them upset? Ticket prices for some; up-sells for others; this one happens to have set me on edge...and I’m DVC.

The more I think about it the more I hate it

I’ve seen some people write that a lot of hotels charge for parking

Here’s the difference

When you park at Disney, your not only just putting money in their pockets with the hotel. Your spending hundreds on theme park tickets. Your spending hundreds on their merch. Your spending hundreds on their food all over the parks. Your spending hundreds on their special events. On their water parks.

Those hundreds end up being thousands on top of the thousands on the hotels.

So no it’s not even a remote comparison saying a lot of hotels charge for parking.

Sigh.

Last edited:
it just brings up the bigger question what is disney's end game. And how many more up charges are going to be enough for you to say your not going to go.

As mentioned we know more charges are on the horizon....
  • Maybe charging for fast passes like they are testing for the club level at resorts
  • Charging Resort Fees
  • Upping ticket prices when Star Wars opens

1. I think that will eventually come at least for extra FPs.
2. That has been rumored for some time.
3. That's a given.

Very curious to see how they monetize FP - and could see the charging extra if you want to use your FP for Star Wars

I by-pass check-in at every stay. As an AP holder who lives out of state, I drive to Disney 5-6 times a year. This will impact my trip budgets!! APs should be exempt. Quite frankly, I would rather they increase the daily price of the resort. Ugh!

The next batch of AP discounts are coming out soon (most likely April) and I am willing to bet they will include parking with the deal. If you are on a rack rate and an AP holder you'll have to pay the parking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they include it with some deals. Double Tree has one right now that if you are a AAA member the parking is included in the AAA rate.

I sent my displeasure in an email to Guest Services. I am interested to see if I get anything back.

The more I think about it the more I hate it

I’ve seen some people write that a lot of hotels charge for parking

Here’s the difference

When you park at Disney, your not only just putting money in their pockets with the hotel. Your spending hundreds of theme park tickets. Your spending hundreds on their merch. Your spending hundreds on their food all over the parks. Your spending hundreds on their special events. On their water parks.

Those hundreds end up being thousands on top of the thousands on the hotels.

So no it’s not even a remote comparison saying a lot of hotels charge for parking.

Sigh.
EXACTLY. You’re not just paying for the hotel. You are paying for an entire experience. It’s a huge difference.

We haven't driven/had a car onsite since 2010 (we're from MA and I don't have enough vacation time to waste 2 full days on travel anymore), but I'm really not a fan of this. The overall trend of charging for things that were previously free is not something I'll ever support, even if it doesn't affect me personally. Yet.

The difference to me, vs the 'upcharge' items is simply that: those things are 'upcharge' items because they're extras. How you arrive to your vacation destination is a separate function of your vacation than paying extra to go to a Fireworks Party. If my only means to get to Disney is a car - and for all practical purposes it is - then why are you charging me more for that? Yea, yea, smarty-pants, I know, I don't have to go to Disney. That could be the default reply to everything; "Hey, you don't want to spend gas money to get to work?... you don't have to work 5 miles from home, McDonald's down the road is hiring". So let's nip that in the bud.

So, really, what in the blue blazes (again, G-rated) is Disney thinking here? 1) The hotel parking lots are not overcrowded; there should be no additional charge for me to stay in a resort at a location where space is not a premium. 2) I saw someone posit Disney wants to head off an issue of people taking advantage of parking overnight to ride the skyliner-thingamabobs?... But... no one is going to be doing that anyway. The park closes and those people who left their cars at a resort overnight do what?... stay at the park's front gates overnight? Puh-leaze. I'm an overthinker by nature but even I won't go in to the ways they can remedy a problem like this because it doesn't exist. 3)

I'll take door number 3: This is indeed a cash grab on a captive audience.

This is just stupid.

As I just emailed Disney, I could care less that other resorts charge for parking. What has always set Disney apart from others is their customer service and truly wanting each guest to have a magical experience. In this case they have shown that they care for nothing else but how much they can nickel and dime people.

We drive (from Kentucky) almost every time we go because it is significantly cheaper than paying for 5 plane tickets. This really sucks. We could still go, but it's just so greedy. We stay on property every single time and spend extra on dining, gifts, etc. They have no way to justify this extra cost.

Just like a previous poster said, we also count parking as a benefit of staying in property as you get free parking at the parks. It was something like 25 a day you would save vs offsite. With the reduction in EMH over the last 10 years and now the loss of some or all of the parking benefit (perhaps more if you have non park days), staying on property looks like more of a bad deal. You can easily save a pile of money and stay close, and that is just whay family will be doing in future stays, which btw are going to be fewer times due to ticket price increases. Disney has cost themselves tens of thousands from my family already in fewer visists, and now will miss out on half the take with no hotel profits.

As an AP holder, I might just start staying off site for more reasonable prices and then drive to the parks where I can park for free. Disney is getting awful greedy lately. I understand that new rides and experiences must be paid for but I know Disney takes in more than enough to cover these experiences. This is greed pure and simple.

it just brings up the bigger question what is disney's end game. And how many more up charges are going to be enough for you to say your not going to go.

As mentioned we know more charges are on the horizon....
  • Maybe charging for fast passes like they are testing for the club level at resorts
  • Charging Resort Fees
  • Upping ticket prices when Star Wars opens

I don't expect to be able to ride any Star Wars rides without an upcharge.

Wow .. saw the official price structure.

So not only are they charging for parking, they are charging MORE for the already expensive Deluxe resorts? Is there some air-conditioned garages they have at the Deluxe resorts I don't know about?

For most people .. this will probably be a check-box you make when making your reservation and just pay that with your package, so most people probably won't care.

So I guess you can look at it the opposite way - this is a $13-24 dollar price decrease for those flying into Orlando. Congrats flyers! Sucks for those who live on the east coast and drive to save some money.

What I don't get is why DAY guests get in free, but someone staying overnight (and spending money at the hotel and restaurant and gift shop) have to pay.
"Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities, or visit a resort for the day"

What is the point?

This just opens the door for more fees. Annual Passes will probably go up (or have another tier) that includes parking.

The next batch of AP discounts are coming out soon (most likely April) and I am willing to bet they will include parking with the deal. If you are on a rack rate and an AP holder you'll have to pay the parking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they include it with some deals. Double Tree has one right now that if you are a AAA member the parking is included in the AAA rate.
With the last AP rate for spring, it was after public discount. There was barely any available rooms. I could use my AP discount and pay more for a fun in sun discount I already had

The last time we rented a car was when we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas. We had also used the valet parking service. We only had to pay for Valet then. Now the charge would be $57 per night. This was before the implementation of the Minnie Van, which we found to be a better option.

I can tell you one thing, if/when they tack on a fee for fast passes, I will refuse to pay that fee. I would sooner go without having a fast pass than pay for that. I'll visit parks at rope drop and then exercise a little patience.

I can tell you one thing, if/when they tack on a fee for fast passes, I will refuse to pay that fee. I would sooner go without having a fast pass than pay for that. I'll visit parks at rope drop and then exercise a little patience.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'm not to sure we would really pay more for extra fast passes. Perhaps for one ride at Star Wars, but that would be about it.

Now that they offer 60 days to off-site, perhaps they will offer a front of the line type deal (for purchase) for length of stay for on-site as a perk. That would golden and I would pay for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter