• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Our 21 Royal Adventure - The evening is over and TR all wrapped up 8/10, Plus a link to the new TR!

We had just been seated at our dining table, but I’m going to back it up a bit here.
No backsies!

;)
Evidently my friends wanted to make sure that they documented that I was having a good time despite the melancholy feelings.
I love these photos. You do look happy. :)
Remember I stopped at the bar to get myself my Vodka Gibson up?
::yes::
I have no idea what they were telling me to cause that reaction, but evidently I was having a good time!
You sure look like you were! :goodvibes
The first wine of the evening Trimbach, Riesling from Alsace, France. Vintage 2016, it was a 390th Anniversary wine.
mmmm... yes.
Once the first one was poured we were welcomed to dinner by Tinkerbell. You can see the table watching as the video below unfolds.
I 100% agree with the final comment.
"That is so cool."
"Mmm hmm."
The last time I sat in this seat Fran was next to me and I had assigned us the same two seats.
:hug:
Crimson Sunset
Spanish Style Ahi Crudo, Golden Osetra Caviar, “Bacalao”

Now Bacalao is dried and salted cod.
Beautiful. I hope it tasted as well as it looked.
Now I have to say that we all had an epic fail on one aspect of this dinner. Leonard requested that they prepare paired mocktails for him, and not one of us got a picture of his beverages.
<phew!>
When you said epic fail with the mocktails, I thought maybe Disney messed up on them and they weren't very good.
Most had the wine pairing, but one guy in the party didn’t drink wine, so they paired Whiskeys with his courses, and then there were the mocktails.
Very accommodating. :)
I believe that this is the second and the last wine that I captured the label. It was Chateau d’Esclans, Garrus, Rose, Cotes de Provence, France, 2020.
Hmmm... Rose.... maybe?
Spring’s Harvest
Imported White Asparagus, Shaved Bottarga, Meyer Lemon, Gribiche
That sounds good...
The White Asparagus was imported from Holland and is evidently quite a delicacy, very difficult to obtain.
...Not that difficult, but the season is quite short, in the spring. I had it a few times in Germany (called "Spargel").
It's actually asparagus that is grown underground so the sun doesn't turn it green. This is what it looks like when it's growing:
1688599761814.png

And Gribiche is a sauce made from emulsifying hard-boiled egg yolks and mustard with a neutral oil like canola or grapeseed.
That sounds really interesting.
We fancy!
:laughing: Yes you is!
This was actually my least favorite of the night. I didn’t see the need to waste my tummy space on vegetables, so I didn’t finish it.
You sound just like @Captain_Oblivious
Catalonian Sea and Mountains
Carabinero Prawn, Serrano Ham, Roasted Suckling Pig Fideo
But... where is the ham and pig???
There was a large stylized D in the middle of the patio and he had us all put our feet in and took a picture.
Like that. :)
And then we took another group photo.
Great shot! Everyone is having a wonderful time!
Before the second half of the evening began, we were given a palate cleanser. I want to say that this had some sort of a berry flavor to it, but I can’t be sure.
A dessert wine, maybe? :confused3

Late to the party but I just stumbled across this tantalizing report. I had followed Su Lynn's pictures on Instagram but am very happy to hear all the details!

I LOVE the story of the gift cards and the dress! Definitely a sign from Fran which makes it even more special. :goodvibes

Ok, I finally had time to read and catch up!

She was a HUGE part of my life and I feel like I should honor her memory.
:hug: Of course!
But first you might ask “What is 21 Royal?”
The concept launched in 2017 with a price tag of $15,000 all inclusive.
:eek::faint:
I have other crazy Disney friends that I met outside of the DIS.
Really? As crazy as all of us?

Jenny knew that she would be kicking herself if she and Michael weren’t in the group with us. But she also knew he would kill her if she took that kind of money from the bank account and gave it away for something as frivolous as dinner. We came up with a “layaway plan” for her. She was able to send me funds without his knowledge when she had extra personal money in her venmo, and eventually paid off her share of the dinner.
Hey, that's pretty clever!

x23DL0509R11.jpg
Wow, that's pretty stunning!

Leonard was game for whatever Jill and I wanted to do, so the first place we headed was Webslingers.
Always a good call.

Then we went on the Guardians.
Not as good of a call.

I think you caught Jill in mid-sneeze.

And right there on the racks was my dress! And they had it in MY SIZE!!!!!
:jumping1:
Jill helped me consolidate them onto one card, and I ended up with almost $1000 in free Disney money, so I used that to pay for my dress!
That's unbelievable! So amazing that it worked out.

Lovely group of ladies!

I think they included that we were not allowed to shower in the bathrooms and some other somewhat ridiculous things, but evidently people have tried to do them, so they have to tell us not to.
Hopefully they at least let you use the toilets.

As soon as we finished that toast Michael raised his glass and made a very nice tribute to Fran, and we all toasted to her memory.
:grouphug: That is both really sweet and classy.

As soon as we finished our pictures this clock chimed and magic ensued. I captured a video of one of the effects that happened. You’ll see that later.
Hey, that's cool!

This is the courtyard where the bar was located. Everyone was so interested in checking out the various rooms that hardly anyone was here!
I mean....I can't really blame them.

There is a little button on the wall which has the words “Goodnight Kiss” next to it, and when you press that, this is what happens.
Also very cool!

Here’s the shower that we were warned against taking for a test drive.
I'm so glad they installed it so no one could use it.

I didn't get a video, but the Goodnight Kiss for this room involves the train riding around a track up near the ceiling, all the way around the room.
That sounds fun. I think I'd go for the train room.

Pretty soon we would be seated for dinner in this gorgeous dining room.
Every room is pretty amazing to look at.

x23DL0511R59d.jpg

I have no idea what they were telling me to cause that reaction, but evidently I was having a good time! And of course I needed to document the moment.
I'm so glad you were having a great time!

This is where the melancholy comes in. The last time I sat in this seat Fran was next to me and I had assigned us the same two seats.
:hug:
I didn’t see the need to waste my tummy space on vegetables, so I didn’t finish it.
Attagirl. This is always the correct stance.

She just wanted to be on the right side of history.

Oh totally! Next time we make sure we hop into the transportation right away and get there as quick as we can so we can have as much pre-dinner time as possible. 👍
I don't think that we dawdled much. The most waiting that we did was on the behalf of our host, to tell us stories and things we could and couldn't do.
I think they enjoy these more intimate experiences as well, I hope they do anways!
I hope they do! I just don't really know any of them well enough to talk to them, and I can be very shy when it comes to folks I don't know.
Ah so more of a "fall" colours palette?
Yes, which is weird because we also did it in May when we did it in 2017.
I know he did a dinner there, I remember seeing photos, whether it was the proposal one, I'm not sure, but I know I read he's a frequent flyer at the ol' DL.
I heard all that from Jill or Jenny so second hand news.....
annnnddd me three, and it's only 6:54am :rolleyes1😅
Chicken Satay is good anytime! I should have some......
These are a lovely set of photos :lovestruc
Thanks to Jill!
Not sure if you know this, but I am still working on liking all seafood (I was raised with super plain food and had never encountered sea food till I was an adult, but this dish was AH-Mazing indeed!
I did not know that. I also did not start liking seafood until I was 18. I tried crab for the first time at my "going away to college" dinner, and since then, I've pretty much loved everything except for salmon.
Yes indeed, I clearly remember that!
Oh, good I'm not crazy. Well for that. :crazy:
They (Micheal?) were excellent at talking through the pairings.
I don't remember anyones names. :sad2:
Apparently I'm either focusing on the fact that I've either finished the yummy food, or taking a quick nap 🤦‍♀️
Or just thinking, "shut up so I can eat this!"
I think Dorian may have eaten my last little piece or two
Fran used to do that for me. 😥
I know I ate all of this dish, loved it
It was very good!
There's so much going on in this photo, it's great!
I def learned to always take my wine with me when we had our table breaks, they were too yummy to leave behind!
My wine was always gone! :laughing:
There was def a big collection, I think I took a video at the end of the night but will have to look
I can't believe I forgot to take a picture!
I do think so, I think Su-Lynn had the description on this one....

Loving this re-live of such a wonderful night! 🍸:cloud9:
So much fun!

You all look so glam! :love:

It was definitely Fran looking out for you to find all the Disney money and have the dress on the rack in your size. You were so radiant in it!

Such a beautiful venue and so much magic! The food and drinks looked amazing too!

We all agreed that Fran made that miracle happen. All sorts of things had been happening to me that were strangely coincidental, since Fran had passed. Nothing miraculous like turning water to wine, but just little things that were more than just a coincidence. In that first month there were lots of decisions I had to make, and somehow I belive she caused events to occur which guided me on those decisions. I think this was a similar circumstance.
What an amazing Fran pixie dusting. Your trip looks like such a wonderful time with dear friends.

I'm a forever lurker who has enjoyed your reports for years and I was moved to add a comment to let you know that more that the folks who regularly comment value the effort you've made over the years.
:welcome: And thank you for coming out of lurkdom to let me know that you've been following along.
I'm so sorry to read about Fran, I lost my wife to cancer after 30 years a while back and I know how hard it is.
Yes, it is difficult. There are good days and bad days. :grouphug:
This dinner looks amazing and your report is making me want to experience this. Thank you for sharing. 💔

It was super amazing and we are already talking about "next time" as if there will definitely be a next time!

You know what I was thinking, this experience would be an amazing reception for a small wedding party. Amazing food, amazing drinks, in an incredible place.
It's possible, we had to book it well in advance, it might be a difficult coordination to get this and a wedding venue together, unless you combined it with the DL Hotel Rose Garden or something.
You could only invite, what 15? people, but that would be such a fun experience. Probably couldn't call it a "reception" without Disney wanting extra $$ but that would be fun. The less people the better to me lol

The maximum is 12 people so you would be super limited to the guest list. Only the closest friends and family could come.

I love these photos. You do look happy. :)
Overall it was a wonderful night and the solemn moments were few.
You sure look like you were! :goodvibes
I 100% agree with the final comment.
"That is so cool."
"Mmm hmm."
It was (both times I experienced it!)
Beautiful. I hope it tasted as well as it looked.
It sure did!
<phew!>
When you said epic fail with the mocktails, I thought maybe Disney messed up on them and they weren't very good.
Oh no, he loved them. It's just no one took a picture of any of them.
Very accommodating. :)
Hmmm... Rose.... maybe?
Well, yes, it was a Rose. I had the names of all of them from the menu. I just didn't have the pictures of the labels.
..Not that difficult, but the season is quite short, in the spring. I had it a few times in Germany (called "Spargel").
It's actually asparagus that is grown underground so the sun doesn't turn it green. This is what it looks like when it's growing:
Interesting......
That sounds really interesting.
It really was!
:laughing: Yes you is!
:rotfl2:
That's unusual! :laughing:
But... where is the ham and pig???
Well the ham is wrapped around the shrimp. Fideo is a thin Mexican noodle.

Here is what I typed for the dish.
Catalonian Sea and Mountains
Carabinero Prawn, Serrano Ham, Roasted Suckling Pig Fideo

From the way that it is worded, I'm guessing that the noodles themselves were made with Roasted Suckling Pig. I'm not sure that I realized that at the time.

Great shot! Everyone is having a wonderful time!
A dessert wine, maybe? :confused3

No, it was just a sorbet of some kind, I'm sticking with the "berry flavor".

Late to the party but I just stumbled across this tantalizing report. I had followed Su Lynn's pictures on Instagram but am very happy to hear all the details!
:welcome: I'm glad you made it here! At least you arrived in time for dinner!
I LOVE the story of the gift cards and the dress! Definitely a sign from Fran which makes it even more special. :goodvibes

It was very special. I'm already planning to wear the dress again at Victoria and Albert's next Spring.

Ok, I finally had time to read and catch up!
And I need to get over to your report and read the latest update.
Really? As crazy as all of us?
Hey, that's pretty clever!
We try!
Wow, that's pretty stunning!
Always a good call.

Not as good of a call.
:rotfl2:
I think you caught Jill in mid-sneeze.
Next time I'm going to elbow her in the side as we get close to the picture!
That's unbelievable! So amazing that it worked out.
Yup!
Lovely group of ladies!
:blush:
Hopefully they at least let you use the toilets.
Yeah, that would have been tragic.
:grouphug: That is both really sweet and classy.
:grouphug:
I'm so glad they installed it so no one could use it.
Well it was supposed to be the Dream Suite before that and people were able to stay in it, so that could have been weird without a shower.
That sounds fun. I think I'd go for the train room.
Figures. I'd want the jacuzzi tub.
Every room is pretty amazing to look at.
Pretty much.
I'm so glad you were having a great time!
Yes, it was a nice break from the grief.
Attagirl. This is always the correct stance.
I knew you would approve.
She just wanted to be on the right side of history.
:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter