OT-pregnancy and nausea remedies

I was hospitalized numerous times for dehydration and malnutrition because I was soooo sick all day from 6 weeks til the day I gave birth. The only thing that helped me was a reccomendation from the dr. of 1 b6 tablet and 1/2 a tablet of Unisom taken together in the morning. I also wore the Sea Bands so it may have been a combination of those but I felt tons better.

Preggie Pops! They are lollipops that contain ginger among other things. They really helped me. Google it and the first result is the site. Feel better!

I'm not pg, never have been (yet), but I wanted to let you know about a product called the Relief Band, which my husband used on our cruise. He gets sea sick on calm water, let alone open seas, and previous attempts with dramamine & sea bands didn't work. On our next cruise, we ended up having rough seas, where even *I* needed to take dramamine (and I sail all the time), but he was fine! (Except for when he had to take it off to take a shower...)

It's FDA approved, and according to their website, they even have a "prescription strength" version for people going through chemo.

Here's the website:
http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

I tried everything and the only thing that worked for me was the medication that is anti-nausea for chemo patients. There was another prescription, phenegran... It didn't help.

I feel for ya, it sucks!

LEMONS!!!!!!!

I was sick for 7 months straight ALL DAY AND NIGHT.

Nothing worked, not the ginger, not the crackers, not the sea bands, nothing at all. One day a man who's wife had like 5 kids told me to eat lemons and salt, he brought them to work for me and guess what IT WORKED.

I literally had a bowl of salted lemons with me everywhere I went. If you eat too many like I did, you may get a little heart burn (which whole milk helps with)but I would take that over feeling like I was about to throw up any day.

I'm 13 1/2 weeks and I've had the same issue. At 8 weeks the dr put me on zofran and it helps a lot. I still get sick, but only a couple times a week and I don't feel nauseated all the time. They said they could put me on something else but that it would likely make mre more tired, and as it is i'm exhausted all the time. I have found that lemonade and lemon flavored things help. I also had someone give me a couple preggie pops, so I might get some more of those as they seemed to work better than regular hard candies. Nothing much else has helped me though - eating first thing, eating bland things, crackers, etc - they all work sometimes and not other times. I finally the last couple of weeks feel like it might be getting a little better, but that might just be wishful thinking! Good luck!

Another vote here for Preggie Pops. Babies R Us sells them. Those wrist bands made me dizzy. My dr. also prescribed promethazine, but that will knock you out!

I ate crackers before I got out of bed when I was pregnant with my son. I never got sick with him.

Having had severe 24-7 "morning" sickness with all 4 of my pregnancies, the only thing that kept me from withering away to nothing (and I still lost weight in my 1st trimesters, and I was technically underweight to begin with) was taking Zofran. All the usual remedies did not work. Hang in there!!!:wizard:

The only thing that made me feel better was lemon. I used to buy cases of San Pellegrino with lemon and that was all I could drink.

Congratulations! I'm 7 months pregnant now, so I feel your pain.

Yogi Teas makes a pregnancy tea that I can't live without. It has peppermint in it and that really helps me out. Keeping hydrated helps a lot, too. I went through a lot of G2 the first 5 months.

Preggie Pops made me sick, but then, so did everything. :goodvibes Totally worth it, though. It took us 3 years to get pregnant and I have friends who are still struggling with infertility. I just keep focused on my little wiggler inside me. :cutie:

Another fan of the vitamin B6 and Unisom combo. My Dr. told me to take it at night, though. I noticed a huge improvement almost immediately. And, I had no problem stopping the Unisom, either. I think some sleep aids can be habit forming, but this isn't. Definitely talk to your Dr. about it first. Regular Coke can help, too, but that's obviously not something you'll want to have all the time while pregnant (or any other time, really :rolleyes1)

If all else fails, get the Zofran. :thumbsup2

I'm where you are as well! I'm just about 10 weeks and have been horribly sick since 4 weeks. I did end up getting a prescription for Zofran, which takes the edge off but doesn't completely help me.

I have found the iced ginger and peppermint teas are helpful to make sure I keep hydrated. This has been huge for me. If I don't stay on the brink of over-hydrated I get horrible migraine headaches and am immediately sick. Lemon drops have also been helpful during the day.

I hope things start to get better and don't hesitate to call your doc and ask for something to help. I waited to long and ended up seriously dehydrated and scaring the heck out of my family! Good luck!

Acupuncture worked for me! I even went on a 2 week train ride cross country (constant rocking while eating and sleeping) and I was fine!

P.S. Acupuncture is also how I got pregnant. So, I am now a big fan!

Congratulations!!!
I can feel your pain because I too went through that. It stinks when everyone keeps telling you it'll be gone soon and never happens!! Anyways, I know this doesn't work for everyone, but something we do at our hospital for women in labor is put mint (anything with the smell) on a cotton ball and then tape it like to your chest (anywhere you can still smell it from). This does help some women with nausea but not all. I hope this helps for you, otherwise I know I ate a ton of ice cream while pregnant as it was all I could keep down and at least kept me somewhat hydrated!!!!

I feel your pain. I had major hyperemesis for my entire pregnancy. I lived on Zofran which kept the vomiting down to about 2-3 times per day (I started at 8-10:scared1:). The only foods I could keep down were sourdough bread with Kraft singles in the microwave, peanut butter, and avocado. Everything else came right back up. I have since had 3 root canals due to the damage of all the vomiting. My doctor tells me that I am cursed because I am an RN and we tend to get whatever strange and horrible ailments that are available:rotfl:. Good luck. If it is any consolation, about 5 minutes after delivery I felt like a brand new person.

I can relate I had morning sickness with my 1st for 6 months and I thought that was bad but then my 2nd pregnancy I say I knew the moment of conception because I was sick the whole time. The only thing that helped was cocoa. The dr. said that it was something in the chocolate and I tried everything peppermint, etc. but that was the only thing that worked.

The only thing that worked for me (I vomited multiple times every day for my entire pregnancy, both times) was a prescription for Zofran. When I took it , there was no generic and it was extremely expensive. But last week when I filled a prescription for it for my dad, it was filled as a generic and the whole bottle cost only $29.

I feel so bad for you! I was the same way w/ my 1st pregnancy for the entire time. Lost a lot of weight at first. I took phenergan w/ 1st pregnancy finally after a trip to ER for IV fluids. That will make you very sleepy, though. With my 2nd pregnancy, I knew what was coming and asked my doctor for a drug we used w/ patients on chemo for nausea (zofran). It dissolves under your tongue, tastes like cotton candy, and does not make you sleepy! It is costly, but your insurance might cover it. It never hurts to ask!

I'm where you are as well! I'm just about 10 weeks and have been horribly sick since 4 weeks. I did end up getting a prescription for Zofran, which takes the edge off but doesn't completely help me.

I have found the iced ginger and peppermint teas are helpful to make sure I keep hydrated. This has been huge for me. If I don't stay on the brink of over-hydrated I get horrible migraine headaches and am immediately sick. Lemon drops have also been helpful during the day.

I hope things start to get better and don't hesitate to call your doc and ask for something to help. I waited to long and ended up seriously dehydrated and scaring the heck out of my family! Good luck!

I had Hyperemesis Gravidarum with my last 2 pregnancies. With DS I took Zofran and when that stopped working my Dr gave me a higher strength dose so ask your Dr about that.

I also wore a watchlike device called an "Explorer Relief Band" that sent an electric impulse to try to help with the nausea. You can find them on Amazon for about $100.

I tried all the home remedies - ginger, saltines, etc.. and had scripts for Phenergan and Zofran. I even tried acupuncture (and ended up getting sick while getting treatment).

Good luck. The Zofran worked better than anything else but it didn't take everything away completely. The Dr kept telling me that the sickness was a good sign because it meant the pregnancy was going well. I wanted to punch him but he was right!

When I was pregnant, I had morning sickness for about 5+ months. I would keep the Zofran at the side of the bed and take it before I sat up each morning. Zofran was the difference between building extra time in the ride across town so I could puke and only puking 1 time a day. It was a pain to procure since only one hospital pharmacy in town kept it in stock and insurance only allowed me to get 5 days at a time. But it really worked for me.

All the other remedies were of no help for my situation. Good luck and congratulations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter