One of the funniest things I've ever heard at WDW:

Quote:

It's easy to say that, if you have been already and know the story. If you have not, nothing can prepare you for it.

This is what you know as a novice:

1. It is the number one vacation spot in the world.
2. It is a theme park.
3. It has fun rides and attractions, trains, boats, buses and trams.
4. It has a castle (it will take at least one trip before you will remember that it's Cinderella's), a huge golf ball, a huge tree and a huge and ugly hat, and a mouse or two running around.
5. Everyone has either gone or is planning on going at some point and
6. It is expensive.

I cannot imagine "planning" a trip to a theme park just as it is presented. I would have to be able to acknowledge the size, depth and complexity of the place before it would occur to me that it required more effort then working for a living just to go on vacation.

I still refuse to plan anything other then when I am going and for how long. Other than that...is free expression. Of course, I have been many times before so I know what to expect and what I will or will not be able to do once I get there, sans planning. Those with no experience will not know that so I think we should all be a little less condescending toward them.
:hippie::lovestruc:grouphug::flower3:

Try to help them when you see them bewildered! It IS the Disney way!!!

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

Back in '07 on our first trip to WDW, my family was AK just after rope drop and as we made our way down the main path, there was a mid 20s gentleman with a small boy, staring at their map, and we heard the man say, "where is that big *%# tree? We still laugh to this day about it. Not sure how you can the biggest tree while standing right in front of it. :rotfl::rotfl2:

I love the anti - planners. It makes the planners life much easier.

"You stay in main st usa all day if you like - we are running to Dumbo":woohoo:

I was sitting in one of the rocking chairs on the "back porch" of the main building at POR on my last day - just relaxing. It was the first day of check-in for Pop Warner.

A young woman and her son stepped outside and saw the water taxi and commented to her son how much fun it will be to take the "boat to Walt Disney World."

Just then, her husband pops out of the door with their young daughter and their "check-in" package. He tells the wife that they need to go back out front to catch the bus to go to "a bunch of parks." She tells her husband, "But, we want to take the boat to get to Walt Disney World."

He says, "You wouldn't believe it, we are already in Walt Disney World. This hotel is in Walt Disney World." She looks befuddled. He pulls her along, but she continues to insist taking the boat. He finally says, "We have to take a bus to get to a park. And there are FOUR of them."

She looks really befuddled now. He pulls her aside, out of hearing range of the kids, but right beside me now and says..... "You won't believe how f$#@$&^ big this place is. You just have no idea what we have gotten ourselves into here."

Thanks for sharing - love this one!

This was on my last trip, in Epcot, in line for Test Track:

Kid: Dad, is that going to happen to us??

Dad: If they killed every person that rode this ride then half of the park would be DEAD!

It was the end of the day, Dad sounded like he had had enough!

A few years ago when my oldest DD was 3 almost 4. We were in DL with my older brother and his family. My little girl insisted she wanted to paddle the canoes because she wanted to be like Daddy (I raft and kayak on a regular basis).

We boarded the canoes and she sat next to me with my wife and brand new baby girl behind us and my brother and his wife and kids in front. The rest of the canoe was full of people who thought the canoe had an onboard motor and so they did nothing. We were going NOWHERE really fast. So I ramped up my paddling and my daughter decided she needed to do the same. I looked over just in time to catch her from falling in the water. I asked if she was alright and started paddling again, watching her more closely now. She had to reach so far over the side to get her paddle in the water that she would be in the water just for trying. So I picked her up and put her on my lap, put her paddle under us and asked her to help me. She started to cry very loudly. Just then another canoe that had launched LONG after us was passing us. She stood up and put her hands in the air and very loudly cried to them "My daddy won't let me paddle our boat!". EVERYONE on that boat pulled out a camera and started taking video or pictures while yelling things like "come on dad, don't be so mean".

Throughout the rest of the day I was stopped by people who had seen it from the boat or from the shore and thought it was hilarious. We even had some people ask for a picture... I still get teased by my family about it, guess it's the last time I try to keep any of them dry!

This was on my last trip, in Epcot, in line for Test Track:

Kid: Dad, is that going to happen to us??

Dad: If they killed every person that rode this ride then half of the park would be DEAD!

It was the end of the day, Dad sounded like he had had enough!

We went to TT on the first trip with kids. We had about a 20 minute wait in standby so we had a fair amount of time watching all of the Crash Test Dummies getting smashed by this and that....

Finally we get to the area before going into the rooms to see the video. At this point my oldest said she did not want to ride which surprised us. She and DW used the Chicken Exit while our youngest and I went on the ride.

After we rode, I asked my oldest why she did not want to ride? It took a bit of coaxing but eventually she said she was afraid that the ride was like what the Crash Test Dummy's were doing. :scared1::rotfl2:

Of course we told her that the ride was not like that at all and our youngest backed it up. Eventually our oldest did get on TT and it is her favorite but the videos in the stand by line scared her Ride Less. :)

Poor Thing.

Later,
Dan

Just got back from WDW last night. As we were walking towards the exit of MK yesterday afternoon we were passing by Mickey and the Princesses are now, near Tony's...anyway there was a family entering and the wife looked really puzzled. She said to her husband "Wow this park is beautiful...but I thought there was a huge castle here!?" DH and I just looked at each other. I really wanted to take her by the hand and walk 100 steps to the left (her left) and just point...

Debbie

I am helping to plan a group trip for several of us at our office. I was told this last week: "OH! So, Disney World and Epcot are two different parks." Head smacks desk. We leave in 2 days, wish me luck!

My husband had never been to Tom Sawyer island. I wonder if anyone overheard us discussing the "fact" that on my first trip as a child, my family had gotten lost in the cave and almost missed our plane.

Can you imagine my face when I saw the cave from an adult perspective?

I was standing near the Tree of Life Gardens in the Animal Kingdom. This group of people were very excited and pointing at a squirrel in a tree. Apparently the squirrel was the most exotic animal they had seen all day.

My dds went CRAZY on our first trip everytime we saw ducks. Here we are getting ready to walk down Main Street for the first time and here they are all excited becasue there were ducks! Could have saved a few thousand dollars and gone down by river.................

I'm sure people we looking at them strangely over thier misplaced excitment.

Emily

Several years ago my brother and I were walking into EPCOT when this family of about 4 or 5 walks by us really fast headed toward Spaceship Earth. They get in line and we get in line behind then and the kids are asking "what is this? is this a slow ride?" the father very enthusiastically answers "NO!! this is a fast ride! it goes super fast! you'll love it" I bet those kids were rather disappointed to find out what their dad's version of "fast" was!

Also I have a younger brother who is three (17 year age difference) and my parents took him and my other brother who is 8 this past spring break. My 3 year old brother tells everyone that there are two Soarins! he rode it twice.. so he just thinks that there are two! he is cute when he talks about Disney!

On our honeymoon DH and I were eating at Boma. There was a nearby table with two boys and their parents. They boys were maybe 7 and 9 and were just fighting, aggravating one another, typical kid stuff. The dad had brought a plate of zebra domes back to the table but requested the boys finish some of their other food first, and I guess the the older boy must have been harassing or taunting the younger one with the idea that he would eat them all. The next thing I heard very loudly was,

"DAAAAAD! Justin won't stop licking the zebra balls!"
:scared1::lmao:

Oh my. THAT is the funniest thing I've ever read on here. Thanks for sharing! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Does your BIL scream at the top of his lungs?

:confused3:confused3:confused3

Must have been a location joke, you had to BE on that bus! We thought it was funny that a child who was lucky enough to be at MK all day, would want anything else.

That's a typical Disney meltdown. Back in the 80s we went to WDW with my cousin and her young children. While in the middle of a long line for the Haunted Mansion, and my cousin's 4 year old daughter began screaming at the top of her lungs "I want a drink!! I want a drink!!". We didn't really know what to do, because we'd never experienced one of those meltdowns before. Finally, my mother picked her up, and within a minute she was asleep on my mom's shoulder. Disney is often too overwhelming for young children, and they have tantrums.

Back in '07 on our first trip to WDW, my family was AK just after rope drop and as we made our way down the main path, there was a mid 20s gentleman with a small boy, staring at their map, and we heard the man say, "where is that big *%# tree? We still laugh to this day about it. Not sure how you can the biggest tree while standing right in front of it. :rotfl::rotfl2:[/QUOTE

My Dh and I had the same moment. I was standing and saying, "HOney on the DVD, you could see the tree. Where's the darn tree?" A very kind CM took my face and just turned it up a little. Yeah, there was the tree. At least he didn't say anything. I sure felt like an idiot!

Back in '07 on our first trip to WDW, my family was AK just after rope drop and as we made our way down the main path, there was a mid 20s gentleman with a small boy, staring at their map, and we heard the man say, "where is that big *%# tree? We still laugh to this day about it. Not sure how you can the biggest tree while standing right in front of it. :rotfl::rotfl2:

Aaaahah. Love that one!

One night I'm going to have to pull out all of our trip journals. My mom journals the day's events each night, and at the end we always write down dumb/stupid/strange comments we've overheard during the day.

I was standing near the Tree of Life Gardens in the Animal Kingdom. This group of people were very excited and pointing at a squirrel in a tree. Apparently the squirrel was the most exotic animal they had seen all day.

Were they Asian? We stood with a large group of Asians who were totally enthralled with the squirrels. I figured that if I went to some tropical countries where monkeys are as common there as squirrels are here, I would probably be the one taking pictures of something that is so common to the locals but so different to me, a tourist. Squirrels are fun to watch but can you imagine seeing them for the very first time? How entertaining that would be!

Were they Asian? We stood with a large group of Asians who were totally enthralled with the squirrels. I figured that if I went to some tropical countries where monkeys are as common there as squirrels are here, I would probably be the one taking pictures of something that is so common to the locals but so different to me, a tourist. Squirrels are fun to watch but can you imagine seeing them for the very first time? How entertaining that would be!

Squirrels, i'm entertained by them daily in our backyard. We have black ones, brown ones, and small red ones. We laugh at them with the antics they get into.

I had a friend visit from Australia last year...her first time to America. I also took her to Animal Kingdom. Her favorite animals? The squirrels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter