• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Olympic Eating With Team GB ** COMPLETED - WDW & DCL**

Oh sorry, I nearly forgot ..... Happy 4th of July to everyone ..... hope you are having a fun day!!

Remy looks amazing! I am so going to make a reservation there when I can book online Saturday night!

Jill in CO

All caught up, Linda.
Sorry I have been absent, but the last week of school was a bit "painful" - too hot, pupils who were already in vacation mode and we were all locked inside (with NO A/C) doing project work. :sad2:

They "serve" you at the buffet line at Enchanted Garden - well, they didn't on the DREAM and besides Tom had an omelet which was brought out. ;)

Love all your reviews (I know I am repeating myself! ;)) I really need to think about that "surprise" menu at Remy for us this summer - do they ask you if there is anything you don't like? This should be fun, but then .... how to review it? :rotfl2:

Wednesday May 16th 2012
Cozumel & Pirate Night

Hey everyone

Happy Friday!!

Today we were docking at Cozumel and after the gym, chai lattes and a quick bowl of muesli each we headed to the Buena Vista Theatre to meet our excursion group

Our excursion today was ‘Cozumel Highlights & Mayan Ruins’ and it was an absolutely wonderful day, made all the more special by our two amazing tour guides who just had us all in stitches :rotfl:

Seriously it was like having two stand up comedians as our guides …. Loved it!

After the fascinating tour of the Ruins we were taken to a Tequila House for a tasting

38b5566f.jpg

This as I am sure you can imagine was a lot of fun!

We were talked through the Tequila making process before sampling 5 or 6 different Tequilas

6f2dd8ea.jpg

"My kind of garden!"

For anyone with kids, don’t be put off doing this tour.

There is a Pinata set up for the children and they all line up to take a turn whilst the guides sing along and get the party started, the kids were having a ball :thumbsup2

Just a few more photos from our wonderful day

d5be7883.jpg

46e7209b.jpg

f445be83.jpg

Once our tour was over and we returned to the Port, we decided to head back to the ship as the port itself just didn’t interest us and we didn’t feel like hopping in a cab to go elsewhere

Guess where we headed for lunch … yep, back up to deck 11, we are such creatures of habit :rolleyes:

fea2a872.jpg

Luigi's Pizza – ‘Guido's - Mozzarella Cheese Pizza’

189d5a41.jpg

Fillmore’s Favorites - Greek Wraps, Salad & Fruit

Tonight was Pirate’s Night/Pirate's Menu and we were due to eat in the Royal Court

Sorry for the poor quality of photos tonight - I think I must have messed with my settings

4c338ab9.jpg

Bread Rolls & 'Johnny Cake' with a pigeon pea relish

This was a really good couple of breads and I loved the relish, DH stuck with regular butter

41756485.jpg

Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake - with a golden raisin-carrot and coconut slaw served with a spice Calypso dressing.

This was DH’s appertizer; he said it was just "OK" certainly not the best crab cake he had eaten but it wasn’t the worse.

There was plenty of crab and not too much filler but it did need more seasoning

I decided to start with a salad

3cda1957.jpg

Mr. Smee's Bibb Lettuce Salad - with bibb lettuce, baby greens, chicory, tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and raspberry vinaigrette

This was really nice and all the vegetables were very fresh. The raspberry vinaigrette was excellent and not too sweet

DH surprised me by choosing fish again

391118ca.jpg

Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut-dusted Mahi Mahi - Jasmine rice and sautéed pineapple on a mild curry sauce

He said that the fish was fresh and well cooked but that the sauce was a little tasteless

His overall impression of his meal so far was that everything was a “little bland”

I chose these from the vegetarian menu

a7ecf6f9.jpg

Tiger Lilie's Savory Pancakes - stuffed with tofu, spinach, and lashed to the deck on a pool of pepper coulis

Now you may remember from my Animator’s Palate review that I hadn’t enjoyed my main course at all and our server had asked me if I liked vegetarian curry?

Well this was delivered along with my entrée so now I had two dinners to get through!

929593a0.jpg

Vegetable Curry

About 2 minutes after our server had delivered our food, our head server appeared with yet another vegetable curry, so now I had three entrees :rotfl:

Well I sure am glad I had the curry as the pancakes were just awful :crazy2:

Just like the black bean cakes at Animator’s, they didn’t taste of anything at all.

I don’t know how it’s possible to extract every ounce of flavour from a dish but they did!

However, all was not lost at the curry was simply wonderful, packed full of flavour with just the right amount of heat and spice – perfect in every way :goodvibes

This curry wasn't listed on the regular menu so it was really sweet of our servers to sort this out for me and they seemed really pleased that I had enjoyed it so much :goodvibes

Even DH tucked into some (well we certainly had enough) and he thought it was really good to

Onto dessert

9cedbd1e.jpg

Sugar-free Ice Cream

This was my choice as nothing else on the menu really grabbed me, the taste was OK but it had far too many ice crystals in it to be enjoyable

DH however struck gold with this one

964cb782.jpg

Fruit Cobbler - with vanilla ice cream

He loved it and chomped in down in a heartbeat, sorry neither of us can remember what fruit it contained but DH is guessing at apple

After thanking our amazing service team for another fab evening and especially my curry, we headed off to do battle with pirates and enjoy the fireworks and festivities pirate:

Coming Up Next – Sea Day & Palo Dinner

Thanks for the tour hint, Linda. I am trying to get as much information on the Fantasy cruises as possible, so I can get prepared for next summer! :thumbsup2

I love that you returned to Cabanas again and again ;), guess we will have to get ourselves there more often as well.

To be honest, the pirate menu is our least favourite menu, so we usually try to go to the adults only restaurants on Pirate night. :rotfl2:

Your veg curry looks yummy though - I need to go through the menus again as I would love to try it myself. :goodvibes

Remys sounds wonderful - I think the lack of photos makes it more intriguing ;)

Remy's was certainly wonderful :goodvibes

All caught up, Linda.
Sorry I have been absent, but the last week of school was a bit "painful" - too hot, pupils who were already in vacation mode and we were all locked inside (with NO A/C) doing project work. :sad2:

They "serve" you at the buffet line at Enchanted Garden - well, they didn't on the DREAM and besides Tom had an omelet which was brought out. ;)

Love all your reviews (I know I am repeating myself! ;)) I really need to think about that "surprise" menu at Remy for us this summer - do they ask you if there is anything you don't like? This should be fun, but then .... how to review it? :rotfl2:

Hey Karin :goodvibes
So is school out now?
Not long until your next vacation and I for one can't wait to hear all about it :thumbsup2
DH didn't look at the menu at all so had no idea if he would be served something he didn't enjoy but having said that, he's not really very picky
I have never heard him rave so much about a meal :)

Hi there Linda! I'm getting caught up. Remy's sounds absolutely amazing! What a great experience. The rose and chocolates are such a nice touch - how thoughtful of their guests are they! :flower3:

Tequila tasting in Cozumel... hmmm... sounds like a lot of fun! :upsidedow

Looking forward to more. :thumbsup2

Hi there Linda! I'm getting caught up. Remy's sounds absolutely amazing! What a great experience. The rose and chocolates are such a nice touch - how thoughtful of their guests are they! :flower3:

Tequila tasting in Cozumel... hmmm... sounds like a lot of fun! :upsidedow

Looking forward to more. :thumbsup2

Remy was fab .... I hope I can try it again one day :goodvibes

Thursday 17th May 2012

Day At Sea

Yay!!, a day at sea, I was really looking forward to the day ahead, I was now officially hooked on cruising!

Up bright and early, I sat on the empty deck with a hot cup of coffee and watched the sun come up and it was heavenly :goodvibes

After the gym, I met up with DH at the Cove Cafe and then we headed to Cabanas for breakfast.

I don’t seem to have any photos of our selections but I am pretty sure we both had muesli and fruit again so here is a recycled photo

0741c153.jpg

Muesli Breakfast

After a very enjoyable morning working our way through the activities on the navigator, we headed to Cabanas to grab some lunch

2fd0ff13.jpg

Grilled Salmon, Vegetables & Salad

This was the first day that I could find any fish available at Cabanas that wasn’t prepared with meat so it was nice to be able to just get some grilled salmon

Here’s DH’s plate

2b48e6e0.jpg

Cabana’s Lunch - Brisket, Chicken & Vegetables

Now this looks really un-appetizing to me and even DH said it was chewy, tough and not very pleasant, he didn’t eat much of this and ended up grabbing a burger from Tow Mater’s Grill out on deck 11 (sorry don’t seem to have a photo of his burger)

DH was in the mood for something sweet after his lunch so he picked up one of these

79e90cab.jpg

Cabana’s - Profiterole

He said it was really good, and a nice little sweet treat

We happened to stumble across a towel folding class after lunch and DH was most proud of his creations

fe468535.jpg

Towel Elephant

0d72841b.jpg

Towel Monkey

Mine were not quite so impressive!

At 3pm I headed off to the ‘Mixology Seminar’ in the Skyline Bar and this was a really fun event

The bartender was fantastic and it was a really good friendly group

2977736a.jpg

d4ca43cf.jpg

Mixology - Skyline Bar

This seminar went on for quiet a bit longer than planned (not that anyone was complaining!!) and when it was finished I high tailed it over to the Rainforest Room to get ready for our 6:30pm reservation at Palo

I had deliberately picked an early reservation as I wanted to be able to see both the view and then the sunset from the restaurant and this timing worked out perfectly

I ordered a glass of the Palo House Prosecco which I had tried and enjoyed at the Champagne tasting and we browsed the menu

Our server tonight was top notch and was really into English football/soccer so we ended up chatting for ages before we actually ordered

First we were served our bread

c0e9c101.jpg

Palo Bread - Freshly Baked Bread in Our Pizza Oven

This was beautiful and so incredibly fresh

Once we had decided on our menu for the evening our server presented us with the Antipasti Cart and kindly served the meat separately for DH

84c5c4df.jpg

e16138ed.jpg

Palo's Cold Antipasti Specialties presented from our Antipasti Carrello
Prosciutto, Bresaola, Parmesan Reggiano, Marinated Olives and Sun-Dried Tomatoes served with selection of Infused Oils and Aged Balsamic Vinegar

Everything was so delicious, the parmesan combined with the balsamic vinegar was fantastic.

The olives had a wonderful flavor and DH really enjoyed the meats that he was served

Together with the bread, this was a truly excellent start to our meal

But there was much more still to come

e2f9a807.jpg

Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Polenta With a Roasted Shallot Sauce and a Parmesan Crisp

This was my choice and it was amazing, the sauce was fabulous and although I am not usually a fan of Polenta, this was the perfect partner for the mushroom

DH couldn’t decide what to have so our server suggested a sampler plate of the most popular appetizers.

I can’t see this as an option on the on-line menus but I am sure that you would be able to get this if you asked

f0450c43.jpg

Sicilian Pesto Marinated Grilled Shrimp On a Mussel, Crab, and Cherry Tomato Ragu
Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Polenta With a Roasted Shallot Sauce and a Parmesan Crisp
Fritto di Calamari - Lightly-crusted Calamari served with Deep-friend Cherry Peppers

DH also really enjoyed the mushroom and said that the shrimp was excellent, but the standout dish for him was the calamari which he said was perfectly cooked

We were then served a palate cleanser

f33770fd.jpg

Lemon Sorbet

Next up, my choice of entree

9862fa8f.jpg

Branzino in Cartoccio
Sea Bass wrapped in parchment paper with Vegetables and Salmoriglio Sauce

Not only was this beautifully presented, it was beautifully flavored. It had a really delicate and fresh taste and was a lovely light dish

DH decided on his entree as soon as he spotted it on the menu

20d962e9.jpg

Our Beef Tenderloin "Palo"
Topped with melted Gorgonzola Cheese or Palo signature Barolo Red Wine Sauce

Our server suggested to DH that he ignore the word ‘OR’ between the two sauce options and have both, do that’s what he did and he’s glad he did

This was an excellent and tender piece of beef and he said it was cooked exactly how he likes it - a 10 out of 10 from DH :thumbsup2

We also couldn't resist asking for a half portion of this to share

fc49f465.jpg

Lobster and Mascarpone Ravioli With a light Burro Bianco

Mmm, this was really, really good. The pasta literally melted in your mouth

Before we were served out entrees we were asked if we would be ordering the soufflé for dessert as it takes a while to prepare

Well following all the rave reviews of this dessert here on the DIS I just had to order one

1808582e.jpg

Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce

Oh My Word ....... this seriously is heaven in a bowl, thank you my DIS friends for another perfect recommendation :cloud9:

I hardly ever, if ever, order chocolate desserts so would never have gone for this if I hadn’t heard so many people rave about it

I just added a little bit of sauce at a time and I much preferred the combination of the vanilla bean sauce with the soufflé than the chocolate on chocolate option

The soufflé was light as a feather and therefore can’t possible contain many calories can it :rolleyes:

DH went for something completely different

8a5ea236.jpg

Sweet Ravioli

He did enjoy it but he wasn’t totally wowed by it .... he probably should have got the soufflé ‘cos I sure as hell wasn’t sharing mine :lmao:

Straight after dinner we headed off to watch the Avenger’s in the Buena Vista Theatre which I am sure was a wonderful movie however I will never know as I slipped into a deep, deep soufflé coma about 15 minutes into the film

Zzzzz

def6e529.jpg

Okay, I guess I am repeating myself ;) but your reviews are awesome!

We had mostly the same menu at Palo :lmao: Tom could not decide on his appetizer either and got the sampler too! :thumbsup2

Isn't that souffle wonderful? We LOVE it and even if we decided on having something else we have always had nice enough servers to bring an additional souffle as well. :rotfl2: And NO, I wouldn't share either.

How long until your Route 66 trip? We will be on our way to WDW in exactly 5 weeks from today! :woohoo:

Okay, I guess I am repeating myself ;) but your reviews are awesome!

We had mostly the same menu at Palo :lmao: Tom could not decide on his appetizer either and got the sampler too! :thumbsup2

Isn't that souffle wonderful? We LOVE it and even if we decided on having something else we have always had nice enough servers to bring an additional souffle as well. :rotfl2: And NO, I wouldn't share either.

How long until your Route 66 trip? We will be on our way to WDW in exactly 5 weeks from today! :woohoo:

Aww, thanks Karin :goodvibes
Are you cruising on your next trip or is it just WDW?
I can't wait to read your dining reviews and TR :thumbsup2
We have a little under 2 months to go until our Route 66 trip :cheer2:

O-M-G how have I NEVER come across your Dining Reviews before now?!!! Please tell me :confused3

I particularly loved this report of WDW because you didn't do a Signature... my DH and I are going to WDW in less than 2 months and we usually do a lot of Signature but we're thinking of going more casual on our next trip and your report has been an inspiration for that... although I am taking a couple of smarter outfits just in case ;)

Really really good reviews Linda thank you for sharing those... never thought of doing Wolfgang Express for breakkie

LOVING your Fantasy review..... I look forward to the day I can get my butt sat down in Remy.... sounds divine!

I am late catching up, but I had to agree with other posters about a couple of things...

(1) Thank you for reviewing Mickey's Backyard BBQ! I would not be at all surprised if my dad and I end up there, or even my whole family one of these years. I never see it mentioned on here and the food looks surprisingly good! I will definitely remember that!

(2) I, also, would go to La Cantina de San Angel just for the apple and caramel dessert. It looks luscious!

Thanks again for sharing all of your fabulous reviews with us! :thumbsup2

You're killin' me Linda!! :rotfl2: Your DH's tenderloin with the two sauces at Palo looks amazing. :thumbsup2 I have never seen a dessert ravioli before, definitely an original concept there. All the food on your cruise looks amazing! After every description and photo I practically shout "Amen sista" keep it coming! :lmao:

Honestly, I have to admit that the main reason I love to cruise is the endless food and the wonderful service that accompanies it. I definitely get cruise withdrawals once we get off the ship.

Are you cruising on your next trip or is it just WDW?

Yes, we are! :woohoo: I cannot wait - we have been bitten by the cruise bug - BAD!!!!!! :rotfl2:
If all works out as planned (hurricane season, you know) we will have three days at CC as we are doing a double dip back to back with a regular 4 nighter. :goodvibes

I hae bookmarked your thread as we are doing an Eastern and a Western Caribbean back to back on the Fantasy next year!
Lots of interesting tips on here. :hug: :thumbsup2

Alright so I'm not even fashionably late to the party but its already OVER! I just wanted to say I read your entire thread last night and loved your reviews! Great job and thanks for sharing!!

I can't wait to dine at a few of the places in October! (Doing a lot of signature's so not much overlaps but still nice to read the other reviews!)

Castaway Cay Day

Friday 18th May

Hey everyone, I forgot to say that on are Cozumel day, we found this when we returned to our stateroom

45ab8950.jpg

Captain’s Choice Chardonnay

It came with a card wishing us a magical cruise, I have no idea why we received this but it was a lovely touch and was enjoyed once we were back on land at Saratoga Springs

Anyway, back to our day in Paradise

083dd914.jpg

Castaway Cay really is the most incredible and beautiful island

We found ourself a hammock and sun lounger at Serenity Bay and set up camp for the day :goodvibes

We snorkelled and swam for quite some time before heading back to our little spot on the beach and after (not so) gracefully ;) getting into my hammock a very jolly crew member offered to bring us some drinks

Well yes please!!

47f21b6a.jpg

Konk Kooler - white and dark rum, coconut cream, passion fruit, orange and pineapple juices

DH’s coke didn't look quite so pretty but he enjoyed it all the same

For lunch we headed to the Serenity Bay BBQ

84564c2a.jpg

DH's Steak Chicken & Coleslaw

They were just grilling some fresh steaks as we arrived so DH happily waited for a fresh one whilst they grilled me a veggie burger

8c200ab0.jpg

Veggie Burger, Cous Cous, Coleslaw & Greek Salad

Both lunches were excellent, DH really enjoyed his steak and the veggie burger was really tasty

The salad selection here was also very good and the CMs were constantly refreshing anything that was running low

We picked up a plate of fruit and headed back to the beach to enjoy it

f6b9c1ee.jpg

Fruit Plate

I had a cabana massage booked in the afternoon (which was soooooo relaxing) and once this was finished we headed to the Castaway Air Bar for a drink

We both went for our faves - ice cold coke for DH and for me .............

96ada688.jpg

Margarita

DH made me a not so hidden Mickey

b43abc7e.jpg

Sadly the time came for us to leave the island so after a quick zip around on the bicycles we had hired we headed back to the ship to shower and change for dinner

Tonight we were in Animator’s Palate again and it was our turn for the new Animation Show

c31ddbd1.jpg

Animator’s Palate Table Setting

The menu for this show consists of a set appetiser trio, your choice of entree, followed by a dessert trio

As always we were served some tasty bread which I don’t seem to be able to find a picture of

Here is the description on-line

Bread Service
Six-Grain Country Bread - caramelized onions and sun-dried tomato dip

And our appetizer sampler arrived shortly after

e48fcf94.jpg

Animators Workshop Sampler
Marinated Garlic and Herb Shrimp - with zesty Lemon-aioli
Prosciutto with Melon
Sesame-crusted Tuna Sashimi - wakame salad, wasabi, soy sauce

I basically had the same as DH but our server switched the prosciutto to just melon for me

Everything was great but to be honest we were so distracted by completing our pictures for the show, we didn’t pay much attention to the food

d409c949.jpg

My Picture

b63a4a3c.jpg

DH's Picture

I don’t think we are going to be getting a job at Pixar any time soon :lmao:

Before our main courses were served, our pictures were whisked away to be magically transformed for the show

Back to the food

da7c4a5d.jpg

Wild Mushroom and Onion Strudel - sauteed mushrooms, sweet onions, spinach, and tofu wrapped in Phyllo dough with a sundried tomato reduction

This was my choice from the vegetarian menu and it was actually really good.

It was well seasoned and the sundried tomato reduction added some nice flavor

As soon as DH spotted this on the menu, he had to have it:

e8d0da10.jpg

Roasted Filet of Beef Wellinton - covered with mushroom stuffing wrapped in puff pastry served with Fingerling potatoes, baby vegetables and a cabernet black truffle jus

He loved his dinner this evening.

The beef was nice and pink which he loves but didn’t expect and the pastry was really light

He tells me that this was his favorite entree out of all of the rotational restaurants

The sauce was, according to DH, “delicious”

We always have room for a sweet ending:

54872c07.jpg

Final Brush Stroke
Sweet Temptations - miniature tasting of Cinderella's lemon infused cheesecake, chilled chocolate souffle and tiramisu

And we were also served this delight

2a515695.jpg

Baked Alaska - sponge loaf layered with chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream covered in burnt meringue

Just a quick note about the Animation Magic Show; for those who haven’t heard about this show, allow me to give you a brief explanation

When you arrive at Animators Palate, you will find a paper ‘placemat’ on your table with the outline of a little person printed on it.

You will also find a selection of coloring pens to draw your own character inside the outline

Once you have noted your name and stateroom number on your design, your servers will take them away for a while before returning them to you embossed with a sweet little gold medallion (tip: if you want to transport your drawings safely back home, be sure to bring a card tube of something similar)

Next up, the screens around the restaurant spring into life and everyone’s drawings are magically brought to life in a stunning animated film

If you are lucky enough to be cruising on the Fantasy any time soon, do NOT miss this show

It’s just Disney at it’s absolute best :goodvibes

Our awesome servers stayed with us whilst the show was on and kept excitedly shouting out whenever mine or DH’s characters were on screen :)

I am going to miss these chaps

c85b665c.jpg

Our awesome service team :worship:

Next up (continued in next post) Boo Hoo ....... See Ya Real Soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter