OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Its always easier to take the bus when going to the MK. Driving there would mean having to park in the main lot and then do the whole tram to Monorail/ferry in order to get to the MK. A bus will drop you off at the MK.

For Magic Kingdom it is better to take the bus. If you go by car you need to take a tram from the parking lot which gets you to the Ticketing and Transportation Centre. You then need to get the ferryboat or monorail over to the park entrance. The bus gets you in at the entrance to Magic Kingdom. The last morning we took the car to MK as we were heading straight to the airport after. We all commented that we didn't ever want to stay off-site. We had to queue for the tram and then had to wait till we got on the monorail (I think it was the third one to come). We usually took the car to the other parks.

Room request:
We are checking into a 2 bedroom villa on August 16.
I requested Turtle Pond area, and wanted to request upper floor but that was not an option.
If I didn't request ground floor, would that mean I am likely to get upper floor?
I also requested canal view.
We stayed here before, in a 1 bedroom, 5 or 6 years ago, and got second floor building 41. It was nice, but quite a bit of road noise from Bonnett Creek.

Also, what the heck is "near the ductal Lavatory" designation mean?
It sounds like you are facing the outdoor toilet overflow :rolleyes1

Room request:
We are checking into a 2 bedroom villa on August 16.
I requested Turtle Pond area, and wanted to request upper floor but that was not an option.
If I didn't request ground floor, would that mean I am likely to get upper floor?
I also requested canal view.
We stayed here before, in a 1 bedroom, 5 or 6 years ago, and got second floor building 41. It was nice, but quite a bit of road noise from Bonnett Creek.

Also, what the heck is "near the ductal Lavatory" designation mean?
It sounds like you are facing the outdoor toilet overflow :rolleyes1

It should read dual bathroom entrance as the lower number villa only have one entrance to the bathroom. I requested upper floor and fairway view. I got building 35 on the second floor rather than the top floor. We couldn't see the golf course for the trees but saw lots of squirrels and stray shots.

It should read dual bathroom entrance as the lower number villa only have one entrance to the bathroom. I requested upper floor and fairway view. I got building 35 on the second floor rather than the top floor. We couldn't see the golf course for the trees but saw lots of squirrels and stray shots.

Aw...thanks for that explanation. The options for room requests were quite strange IMO.There was no option to pick upper floor, just ground floor but there was an option for close to HH which is a dedicated booking category(one we are waitlisted for), so kind of useless.
Anyway, SUPER excited about staying here again, any room there, is better than being home.

Yet another room/building question. We're staying August 18-28th, two adults and 2 kids (age 2 & 6) in a 2 bedroom. My spouse has difficulty with stairs, but cannot stand to be on a ground floor due to security concerns (PTSD from military experience) so I requested Bld 62, 63 or 64 due to them having an Elevator. How noisy are these building as they seem to be right next to the main road? If we get our request, are we going to have a restful view or will the necessity of an elevator decrease that delightful part of the resort?
Anyone have any pictures of views from these buildings?

Thank you so much!

This might be a silly question for this thread, but can anyone tell me why the GV on OKW is so much cheaper than any other 3 bedroom on site?
The only negative I see is that OKW is a bit further out than I’d like, I have the same comment about SSR and AK. Having doubles in one of the bedrooms is not an issue for us, the kids will be happy to have real beds as opposed to the sofa.

I just reserved in Feb for my family + grandparents. We aren’t sure how many grandparents are coming or for how long so having the GV gives us so many options without having to nail down everyone for dates. We’ve stayed in every other DVC resort except GF, so I am looking forward to trying OKW and was happy to see the difference in points.
Just curious if I’m in for a (unhappy) surprise. Thanks!

We have had two GV stays at OKW and been very pleased both times. The rooms were very spacious and really the only drawback is steps to get up to the other two bedrooms. The GV we stayed in this May had 3 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. That really helps to get everyone out the door even quicker. Our balcony overlooked the pool (Miller's Road) There isn't anything I would change about the villa at all.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a dedicated 2BR and at 2BR lock off? I understand that the lock off means that the second bedroom is a studio room, so I guess it has the kitchenette. But I'm specifically wondering about number of beds. OKW studios are two queen beds, correct? So does the dedicated 2BR also have two queen beds in the second bedroom, or is it a bed and a pullout like other resorts?

Thanks in advance.

At OKW, the 2nd bedroom will always have two queen beds, regardless if it is a lock-off or not.

The advantages of a lock-off is an extra set of dishes, extra toaster and coffee pot (yes, and microwave) and separate climate control for the 2nd BR. The extra kitchen stuff can make getting ready in the morning easier/faster. Two coffee pots means one can be regular and the other decaf or one can be really strong and the other weaker, so everybody can be happy with their morning coffee. The second climate control is useful if some people like to have it really cold for sleeping while the rest prefer not to have to have blankets on.

At OKW, the 2nd bedroom will always have two queen beds, regardless if it is a lock-off or not.

The advantages of a lock-off is an extra set of dishes, extra toaster and coffee pot (yes, and microwave) and separate climate control for the 2nd BR. The extra kitchen stuff can make getting ready in the morning easier/faster. Two coffee pots means one can be regular and the other decaf or one can be really strong and the other weaker, so everybody can be happy with their morning coffee. The second climate control is useful if some people like to have it really cold for sleeping while the rest prefer not to have to have blankets on.

Thank you. That is perfect.

Are there any quick service options at OKW. I know there is Olivias, but any other options for a quick breakfast?

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a dedicated 2BR and at 2BR lock off? I understand that the lock off means that the second bedroom is a studio room, so I guess it has the kitchenette. But I'm specifically wondering about number of beds. OKW studios are two queen beds, correct? So does the dedicated 2BR also have two queen beds in the second bedroom, or is it a bed and a pullout like other resorts?

Thanks in advance.
The lockoff will have a small balcony but the dedicated will not. The dedicated will have a second bathroom sink where the kitchenette would have been. And a very large closet where the entrance to the studio would have been.

As for extra dishes in the studio, it will be a couple of coffee mugs and a couple of glasses. You'll only get paper plates and bowls, plus plasticware in the studio.

A lockoff will also have a separate telephone number from the connected one bedroom.

OKW always has two queen beds in the second bedroom.

Leaving in 8 days for a stay in a 2Bdrm villa:love:
A couple of transportation questions.
We have an ADR for Boatwrights, and may be going to POR for a couple of counter service meals also as I am GF, and they seems to have some amazing options for me.
Is there a boat that goes from OKW to POR and back, or would we have to take boat to DD, the a different one back to POR. We will have a car, so if that`s the case, we`ll just drive.
Also, we didn't get our waitlist for HH, and requested Turtle Pond.
If we are going to DD, can we drive to the HH area, park and take the boat.
And another one...when going to MK, I read that it`s easier or quicker to take the bus.
If we are at the stop at Turtle Pond, is there a bus that comes that says Magic Kingdom, that would go directly there after a couple stops to pick people up in other areas, or do we have to go to HH first, then get on the MK bus.

Thanks....getting so excited to be back:flower1:

This is part two of a continuing OKW Lovers Thread.

Click this link if you wish to view part 1 LINK

Basic resort info:

Phase 1 of Old Key West opened in October 1991, at the time the resort was known as the Disney Vacation Club resort. Early purchasers were informed that there may not be any more resorts added to the DVC system, even though more were on the drawing board. Those members that purchased in those early years (prior to mid-1996) of the program received free park admission during their stays at OKW until the year 2000. The original minimum amount of points that could be purchased was 230. About mid-way through construction, there was a minor design change to OKW 1 and 2 bedroom units - a 2nd entrance to the bathroom was added, giving access through the laundry room. This is effective for Buildings 30 and higher. Buildings 11 to 29 have a single entrance to the bathroom, through the master bedroom.

There have been a few changes to OKW over the years. Olivia's expanded to enclose the original outdoor dining patio. The current patio occupies an area that was originally home to an herb garden used by the culinary staff for seasoning the meals. The sand castle slide was added to the main pool, prior to that the resort had no pool slide. The rooms went through a full refurbishment, with fresh paint, carpeting, beds, and the addition of woodgrain vinyl flooring in the one and two bedroom units between 2009 and 2010. Buildings 62, 63 and 64 are the only buildings with elevators at OKW, they were built later than the rest of the resort and have elevators because of changes in the American with Disabilities Act that took place after the rest of the resort was finished. These buildings occupy the area where the original DVC sales center (Commodore House) and adjacent parking lot once stood, Miller's Road was slightly re-routed to accommodate these new buildings.

The resort address and phone are:

Disney's Old Key West resort
1510 North Cove Road
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830

407-827-7700
407-827-7710 Fax

There are 5 Disney bus stops throughout OKW. The busses usually make the stops in this order:

1. Peninsular Road
2. South Point Road
3. Old Turtle Pond Road
4. Miller's Road
5. North Cove Road (Hospitality House)

There are complimentary laundry rooms for those staying in studios located near each of the 4 pools at OKW.

Here is a map of the resort:

OKWMapcolor2.gif
This is part two of a continuing OKW Lovers Thread.

Click this link if you wish to view part 1 LINK

Basic resort info:

Phase 1 of Old Key West opened in October 1991, at the time the resort was known as the Disney Vacation Club resort. Early purchasers were informed that there may not be any more resorts added to the DVC system, even though more were on the drawing board. Those members that purchased in those early years (prior to mid-1996) of the program received free park admission during their stays at OKW until the year 2000. The original minimum amount of points that could be purchased was 230. About mid-way through construction, there was a minor design change to OKW 1 and 2 bedroom units - a 2nd entrance to the bathroom was added, giving access through the laundry room. This is effective for Buildings 30 and higher. Buildings 11 to 29 have a single entrance to the bathroom, through the master bedroom.

There have been a few changes to OKW over the years. Olivia's expanded to enclose the original outdoor dining patio. The current patio occupies an area that was originally home to an herb garden used by the culinary staff for seasoning the meals. The sand castle slide was added to the main pool, prior to that the resort had no pool slide. The rooms went through a full refurbishment, with fresh paint, carpeting, beds, and the addition of woodgrain vinyl flooring in the one and two bedroom units between 2009 and 2010. Buildings 62, 63 and 64 are the only buildings with elevators at OKW, they were built later than the rest of the resort and have elevators because of changes in the American with Disabilities Act that took place after the rest of the resort was finished. These buildings occupy the area where the original DVC sales center (Commodore House) and adjacent parking lot once stood, Miller's Road was slightly re-routed to accommodate these new buildings.

The resort address and phone are:

Disney's Old Key West resort
1510 North Cove Road
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830

407-827-7700
407-827-7710 Fax

There are 5 Disney bus stops throughout OKW. The busses usually make the stops in this order:

1. Peninsular Road
2. South Point Road
3. Old Turtle Pond Road
4. Miller's Road
5. North Cove Road (Hospitality House)

There are complimentary laundry rooms for those staying in studios located near each of the 4 pools at OKW.

Here is a map of the resort:

OKWMapcolor2.gif
Looking forward to staying here August 2-9. This will be our first time staying at this resort. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Kidani village in February. Hoping my family enjoys this one just as much.
We have stayed at OKW a few times with our young children (last time was December with 3.5 and 18 month old). We definitely preferred the quiet pools with them, we weren't comfortable with the main pools slide and my 3.5 year old so the smaller quieter pool worked well for us.
We have stayed at OKW a few times with our young children (last time was December with 3.5 and 18 month old). We definitely preferred the quiet pools with them, we weren't comfortable with the main pools slide and my 3.5 year old so the smaller quieter pool worked well for us.
we stay in building 55. Real nice and quiet. With pool right there.

Leaving in 8 days for a stay in a 2Bdrm villa:love:
A couple of transportation questions.
We have an ADR for Boatwrights, and may be going to POR for a couple of counter service meals also as I am GF, and they seems to have some amazing options for me.
Is there a boat that goes from OKW to POR and back, or would we have to take boat to DD, the a different one back to POR. We will have a car, so if that`s the case, we`ll just drive.
Also, we didn't get our waitlist for HH, and requested Turtle Pond.
If we are going to DD, can we drive to the HH area, park and take the boat.
And another one...when going to MK, I read that it`s easier or quicker to take the bus.
If we are at the stop at Turtle Pond, is there a bus that comes that says Magic Kingdom, that would go directly there after a couple stops to pick people up in other areas, or do we have to go to HH first, then get on the MK bus.

Thanks....getting so excited to be back:flower1:

We stayed in Building 35 in Turtle Pond in July.

You would need to got to Downtown Disney and get another boat to POR. We used the QS a couple of times there and thought the food court was really good. We went by car.

You would be able to park at HH and take the boat to DD or alternatively you could take the bus to DD.

It is definitely better to take the bus to MK as it gets you much closer in. You can get the bus to all the parks from your local bus stop. Actually from Turtle Pond it was better as you got a seat as the bus was sometimes full by the time it reached HH.

Hope you have a great time!

For the GV's is there more than one thermostat? I thought of this a while back and now don't remember if I asked already.. Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter