OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

In the one bedroom you'll have a stove top and can boil water in a saucepan. Much better than a microwave. I also use bottled water rather than tap.

We buy groceries through We Go Shop and always include a half gallon of milk for DD, so we're set. But I'd be more than willing to spend $1.69 for a pint from the gift shop if that were my only option.

It's not a pint carton, though. It's tiny: literally 2½" cube! DD can't share milk with me because she's lactose intolerant and buys 'Alpro' lactose-free dairy products from our supermarkets over here.

And a microwave will boil a mug of water in 60 seconds, so why is that worse than putting a pan on the stove and waiting up to 5 minutes for it to boil? I'm sure it's just a 'preference' thing.

Last edited:
If you return regularly, it might be worth getting an Owner's Locker, in which you can store both a kettle and a water filter/pitcher.

This is our first time coming as owners and we're not sure how it's going to play out yet. I have looked at the owners lockers, but at $99 for a year's rental and then the 'call out' charge to have it delivered and collected when you come over, I reallly don't think it's a viable option.

We get a very generous luggage allowance with Virgin Atlantic and can bring everything we need (23kg suitcase and 10kg cabin bag - 50½lbs and 22lbs respectively).

I thought that the Hospitality House was the first bus stop but I read somewhere in here that it is actually the last. Which stop is first.

It's not a pint carton, though. It's tiny: literally 2½" cube! DD can't share milk with me because she's lactose intolerant and buys 'Alpro' lactose-free dairy products from our supermarkets over here.

And a microwave will boil a mug of water in 60 seconds, so why is that worse than putting a pan on the stove and waiting up to 5 minutes for it to boil? I'm sure it's just a 'preference' thing.

Not sure about at OKW, but at most of the stores you can buy some groceries. It is expensive but might be a better options. also depending on how long you are there, and how much milk you use a quart might be a better value. If you have a car you could go to the grocery store. or Walmart.

I thought that the Hospitality House was the first bus stop but I read somewhere in here that it is actually the last. Which stop is first.
Check out the first post in this thread. Lots of good info including this:

There are 5 Disney bus stops throughout OKW. The busses usually make the stops in this order:

1. Peninsular Road
2. South Point Road
3. Old Turtle Pond Road
4. Miller's Road
5. North Cove Road (Hospitality House)

Checked in Friday. We are in A Studio in building 42. Location is great. Very close to pool.

I really like that location. You're right next to the pool, but there's no pool noise-it's really very quiet. And being down a cul-de-sac, you have no bus noise. The only kind of bad part is that you are a little walk from a bus stop.

You need to be aware of superheating water in a cup in the microwave. When you move the cup the water splashes because of the superheating and you get burned badly. Carefully put a spoon in the cup when you open the microwave and before you take it out.

Goods to Go (and store) sells half pint cartons and full pint bottles (eight ounces or sixteen ounces). And you should be able to reseal the bottles.

Hospitality House is the first and last stop for the Internal Bus/DTD bus. Next is Millers Road, then Peninsular Road, South Point and Turtle Pond. All the other buses stop last at HH like BobNed posted.

Is the turtle shack open most of the time? Says open "seasonally"
Seasonally is just that. During warmer months it is open for part of the day. Cooler months it might not open at all. We were there in March and it wasn't open the first few days, then only late morning and into the afternoon. Closed before dusk.

Is the turtle shack open most of the time? Says open "seasonally"

We are just back from staying in the Turtle Pond Road area. The Turtle Shack was open 11am-4pm. It doesn't have a drinks station but they will fill your drinks cups if you wait around long enough. We didn't get too much use out of the refillable mugs as a result. With all the employees Disney has you would think they could operate Turtle Shack for longer hours.

You need to be aware of superheating water in a cup in the microwave. When you move the cup the water splashes because of the superheating and you get burned badly. Carefully put a spoon in the cup when you open the microwave and before you take it out.

Goods to Go (and store) sells half pint cartons and full pint bottles (eight ounces or sixteen ounces). And you should be able to reseal the bottles.

Thank you for your concern, but I've had a microwave in one form or another since the mid 80s! As long as you don't try to heat liquid for more than 60 seconds you shouldn't have a problem. But, this 'superheated liquid' with the rumour that putting a spoon into a coffee heated in the microwave and having it explode is a bit of a myth even though it caused a lot of hysteria in the 90s. You really would have had to put the mug or cup in for several minutes to get anywhere near hot enough.

I can't drink super-hot drinks anyway. I reknowned for waiting for up to 20 minute before I can drink a mug of tea!

Regarding the milk, half a pint would be perfect - but it would have to be skimmed or 2% fat at the most. I have got a car hired and we are going to a supermarket our first evening - but as I said before, Walmart only sell unflavoured milk in 2 pint cartons and bigger. DD asked whether we can go to Publix instead, but I don't know where the nearest one to Disney is. I shall have to find my Mapman map which has all the shops and restaurants marked on it.

I really like that location. You're right next to the pool, but there's no pool noise-it's really very quiet. And being down a cul-de-sac, you have no bus noise. The only kind of bad part is that you are a little walk from a bus stop.
We do like this location. The pool is so convenient and my boys have been in there every day. The bus stop has not been an issue since we have a car. I would definitely stay back here again. The only downside is we have some traffic noise from Bonnet Creek Parkway.

Last edited:
They really keep this place clean. I saw them scrubbing the sidewalks on Penisular Rd with a floor scrubber. They also use a pressure washer to clean the parking lot by the Turtle Pond road pool parking lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter