• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh what a horrible trip!!!! Now for something completely different-Final blast ......

Nice pictures. So glad I got a chance to sit down and do some DISing this afternoon.

I have all of my odds and ends - Advil, Moleskin, Bandaids, shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, etc. I am washing clothes today, and tomorrow I will start packing. See you next week!

Have a great trip, MeMom!

I'd say bumping this up for Marv to find but it's your thread:rotfl2:Besides his is soooo far buried I may not be able to find it !!!:rotfl2:

Yes things on this thread are sssssloooowwwwwing down. In fact I have another back in time almost ready to go. :thumbsup2

Well at least I finally read your last update !!! I am excited that they have Food at the F & G fest now !!! Carol and I can sample that for sure !!!

I think it was nicknamed buds and booze or garden and grub. :lmao: Either way they keep tweaking it and adding all sorts of goodies. It was a nice trip just hectic before I left and I knew I was coming back to hectic. :faint: Does not make for a too relaxing trip.

Nice pictures. So glad I got a chance to sit down and do some DISing this afternoon.

I have all of my odds and ends - Advil, Moleskin, Bandaids, shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, etc. I am washing clothes today, and tomorrow I will start packing. See you next week!

I have checked and double checked the toiletries. I need to check the allergy meds. I don't want a repeat of Oct or even last NYE trip. I finally put pollen reports for WDW to my email and WOW Greas and ragweed are HIGH.

I think last laundry tomorrow and packing. I can get all the shorts in the wash since until departure day our temps here are taking a dip. :)

Have a great trip, MeMom!

Oh I am sure we all will have a great trip. Weather looks good and hopefully lots of friends will be getting together. :goodvibes

This time we go back to Jan 2013 - the WDW Half Marathon. My first. Why? The only good reason I come up with is that Tim and Barry were doing it and I have done a few 5 Ks. :rotfl2:
My training wasn't what it needed it to be be I was committed.

So I ended up here

Old Key West if you don't recognize it.

I made my way to the Expo to pick up the race packet and look around.

This was appropriate.

And I had to believe this

Race packet picked up, I head to MK.

Somewhere I got to the front of the line on BTMRR and it went down. Bad enough to get the lockout tag out keys and every CM went to posts to evac

I got a picture of the tag box.

And got this for my trouble.

A picture of the organization of Disney during the marathon weekend.

Had to see my peekie tiki

Morning of the race- like 5 am early. :faint:

Fireworks blast at start- staying at OKW it was amazing how close to the start line I was when they tell you to park at EPCOT. I almost walked back to OKW and could see the resort.
Imagine how much fun it was to hear those fireworks bursts the next morning as the marathon started. :eek:

After I recovered I spent some time in AK- Met up with the CM from Crown Point IN. Dan's neck of the woods.

This path to the right before the Africa pillar.... goes by the Tree of Life..

just sayin' :rolleyes1

The next day I was at DHS during the marathon and they would regualte traffic by human switch.
To cross you would wait and the CMs with the vests would act like a switch to divert runners. You could cross halfway.... wait then finish crossing simply by them moving to slightly divert the runners route. Genius.

I was able to take in the new Pirates encounter /experience at DHS.

It was interesting but not something I would rush to do again.

I made my way to ToT since and elevator was much preferred over any kind of stairs after the race.

Creepy...

Onto the GMR- lots of sitting. and for those who always seem to get the gangster...

the cowboy lives...

Either onto, back to AK. The lioness was up.

Remember when they tried zebras?

and a couple of IllumiNations Globe pics.

Another quick trip and with the half marathon it was short and with a purpose. Having a room on the top floor meant I had to go up the stairs and well that may have actually aided recovery.

The half - well I finished 3:15 I believe. I wanted to be under 3 hours but the heat and being nauseous from mile 7-9 did not help. I tend to overheat easily and well drank more to be sure I didn't get dehydrated and I may have overdone it. I eventually went to just pouring the water over my head.

I heard the off ramp on the final approach to EPCOT was the worst around mile 10. Well after that it keeps going up and down, more up it seemed.

One moment that I swear I credit with actually running to the finish was right as I entered EPCOT. 2 things happened.
First- There was a woman- have no idea who she was or if she was even addressing me but I heard her clear as day through the noise of all the spectators. Our eyes met and she she just said " You are so strong"
It was just what I needed. So I entered EPCOT by the bathroom the right side of the ball near the entrance and ran down towards the lagoon .... the back towards the ball again exiting by the bathrooms on the left side of the ball. then it happened.
Second- I had my music on shuffle and the tumble monkey music from FOLK came on. Good face paced music took me to the finish line. I swear I never knew 3 min was so long. :rotfl2:

Glad I had the experience but man that was not in any way easy. I think from now on 5 K or even 10 K may be my limit. Enough training to feel good but not so much of a time and soreness component to take away from a WDW trip. Hey never say never but I am sitting this Jan out.

Oh how well I remember your October allergy bout !!! I felt soooo bad for you !!!!

I have felt bad before but never so I lost an entire day not being able to get out of bed. :sad:

Now that I have the pollen report I will be very proactive with allergy medicine and more careful with foods. :thumbsup2

Congratulations on finishing the half-marathon! I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I can barely make it to the end of my street. :rotfl2:

Congratulations on finishing the half-marathon! I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I can barely make it to the end of my street. :rotfl2:

I will say it, If I can do it anyone can. I am not a runner. I have horrible knees. I have never run more than 2 miles before this EVER.

I started slow, taped my knees and actually grew to NOT hate it.

Sadly I have gotten really busy at work and all but stopped running. Slowly again , while the weather had a warm spell I got out a couple of times but now rainy and cold so back to looking outside instead of being outside.

Congrats on running the 1/2 marathon. I could never do it ...You are strong!!!!!

Thank you and see above for my thoughts on the whole thing. :lmao: The race itself was great but man, it is running from EPCOT to MK , through MK and then back to EPCOT. If it were 10 -15 degrees cooler I might have not felt so drained.

I will say it, If I can do it anyone can. I am not a runner. I have horrible knees. I have never run more than 2 miles before this EVER.

I started slow, taped my knees and actually grew to NOT hate it.

Sadly I have gotten really busy at work and all but stopped running. Slowly again , while the weather had a warm spell I got out a couple of times but now rainy and cold so back to looking outside instead of being outside.

Thank you and see above for my thoughts on the whole thing. :lmao: The race itself was great but man, it is running from EPCOT to MK , through MK and then back to EPCOT. If it were 10 -15 degrees cooler I might have not felt so drained.

Hmmm, my knees are shot too but maybe I can be a runner. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jill in CO

Hmmm, my knees are shot too but maybe I can be a runner. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jill in CO

KT tape or kinesio tape is the bomb. Once I had a PT confirm my knee is just not built right and they don't track straight. I basically used the tape to keep the kneecap from wandering and allowed me to start and keep running.

While swimming we would run for extra cardio. I was the biggest wimp. Between the knees and the shin splints I was walking more than I was running much to my coaches delight. :lmao:

The walk/run seemed to work for me. No real distance or time just walk to warm up and then run. I have a hilly neighborhood so I would walk up and run down. The gravity assist made me feel better about it. :lmao:

Gradually I would start to run earlier and run longer or switch it up and run up and walk down.

Good Luck if you give it a try. Signing up for a 5K is a sure way to get moving. :lmao:

Pat, I'm going through a very busy time of work, plus the holiday craziness, so please forgive me for being behind.

I love your mini highlights of your trips...so much fun.

Dis Meets. :thumbsup2 Pretty OKW and Boardwalk (won't get into it too much because I am no where near at that point in my TR, but we really liked the Boardwalk). Good food. :thumbsup2 Pretty pictures from the Poly beach. :thumbsup2

In case I don't get back here, I want to wish you and "yours" a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

KT tape or kinesio tape is the bomb. Once I had a PT confirm my knee is just not built right and they don't track straight. I basically used the tape to keep the kneecap from wandering and allowed me to start and keep running.

While swimming we would run for extra cardio. I was the biggest wimp. Between the knees and the shin splints I was walking more than I was running much to my coaches delight. :lmao:

The walk/run seemed to work for me. No real distance or time just walk to warm up and then run. I have a hilly neighborhood so I would walk up and run down. The gravity assist made me feel better about it. :lmao:

Gradually I would start to run earlier and run longer or switch it up and run up and walk down.

Good Luck if you give it a try. Signing up for a 5K is a sure way to get moving. :lmao:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! My kneecaps are all wonky too...6 years of running in the Army was hell. I will try the taping and see if that helps!

Thanks!

Jill in CO

One moment that I swear I credit with actually running to the finish was right as I entered EPCOT. 2 things happened.
First- There was a woman- have no idea who she was or if she was even addressing me but I heard her clear as day through the noise of all the spectators. Our eyes met and she she just said " You are so strong"
It was just what I needed. So I entered EPCOT by the bathroom the right side of the ball near the entrance and ran down towards the lagoon .... the back towards the ball again exiting by the bathrooms on the left side of the ball. then it happened.
Second- I had my music on shuffle and the tumble monkey music from FOLK came on. Good face paced music took me to the finish line. I swear I never knew 3 min was so long. :rotfl2:

I got goosebumps reading this! What a way to help you get through those last few brutal miles. You did it, it doesn't need to be pretty but oh what an accomplishment! I am glad to hear you are bringing extra reinforcements on the allergy side and pollen reports etc :thumbsup2

You are soooooo BRAVE to even attempt that run !!~! The most I could do would be 10 feet:lmao::lmao:

Hope Christmas Day is good for you and your family!!! I am over at Judy's helping get dinner ready , simple but good Beef on Weck, Hash Brown casserole veggies and relish tray , then we are off to my niece's for the evening !!!! Tomorrow I start the Shooping again with the 50% OFF sales :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Beef on Weck

Would you mind filling us in on what this is?? :goodvibes

Merry Christmas to you and your family Pat! I hope you have a great trip, I admire anyone brave enough to face the Christmas crowds!! Have fun!

Would you mind filling us in on what this is?? :goodvibes

Merry Christmas to you and your family Pat! I hope you have a great trip, I admire anyone brave enough to face the Christmas crowds!! Have fun!

Beef on weck is regional to Western New York . It is deli style roast beef heated in aujus gravy and served on a Kummelweck roll, kummelwicks are a Kaiser like roll but with course salt on top. It is delicious !! If you are ver in my neck of the woods you have to try it !!!!

Beef on weck is regional to Western New York . It is deli style roast beef heated in aujus gravy and served on a Kummelweck roll, kummelwicks are a Kaiser like roll but with course salt on top. It is delicious !! If you are ver in my neck of the woods you have to try it !!!!

Ahhh, thanks. That sounds good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter