Official Notice Concerning New Annual Passes

Disney is a business. It may make and publish and rules it wants which allow entry and access to its business, as long as it is not in violation of any laws.

There is one very interesting law in Florida that is a company offers discounts to Florida Residents it cannot restrict those discounts to a specific area. So, for example, in California, Disney can and does offer discounts to people living in certain areas of the state but not other area. Here Disney has made a rule concerning any Resident of Florida.

At the current time there are two temporary rules concerning Annual Passes. On notifications for both Disney has stated that the date range may change without notice.

1. For anybody (categories Tourist, Florida Resident, DVC Member, or Charter) renewing a Premium Annual Pass, Annual Pass or Florida Resident Seasonal Pass between August 2, 2009 and August 31, 2010 they will get a 15 month validity period instead of the normal 12. The renewal must vbe within 30 days on eihher side of expiration of the old pass (and by the way, the 30 day window on either side of expiration date has been in effect for at least 15 years).

2. For any Florida Resident who purchases a new Premium Annual Pass, Annual Pass, or Seasonal Pass (or upgrades to one from a MYW ticket) between the period September 1, 2009 and December 31, 2009 will have a 15 month validity period instead of a 12 month period. Purchases of APs or PAPs by non-resident of Florida will remain at 12 months. (Special note, if the Florida Resident has a voucher or exchange certificate for an SP, AP or PAP they have through January 14, 2010 to activate the pass and still get the 15 months.)

Note that the renewal and new purchases specifically exclude Epcot After 4 PM Annual Passes, Water Park Annual Passes, and Disney Quest Annual Passes.

If a person purchases a Florida Resident Exchange Certificate from any location and cannot provide valid evidence of Florida Residency at the time they go to activate the pass, they will have the opportunity to apply the price paid for the voucher toward the cost of a Tourist (or DVC Member, if qualified) AP or PAP at that time.

I guess I fall against the FL resident discount. There are very few, if any businesses, that give this discount. What if someone from outside of KY stopped and filled up at a gas station here, and the clerk said, "The posted price of 2.39 is only for residents, since you don't live here, your price is 2.99" The same with McDonalds, I don't see dollar menus for in staters and $2 menus for those out of state. I pay Fl tax on my room, when I eat, and when I fill the tank, so I am paying for my part of the infrastructure when I travel there.

please don't begrudge us Residents a discount. While you may come here and travel for leisure, the residents who live here year round pay taxes here everyday of their life, not just a bed tax to a hotel for their vacation. They pay taxes here for everything they purchase, they put way more into the economy than any "traveler" can ever imagine... and most don't have a salary that can afford to travel to Disney as those from many other States.. Fl isn't at the top in income if you haven't noticed. If Disney wants local money, they need to give discounts. It isn't anything special to many of us as it is to many of the non locals. What would keep brining us back? While you come maybe once, twice a year.. maybe three times.. locals come as much as once a week... see the difference... again, there is no comparison to a local and a traveler on vacation. This subject is for another discussion not for the discount thread... :goodvibes

This may be a real dumb question, but we own a timeshare based in FL that we pay property tax on every year. Since we are a FL taxpayer, does that make us a resident?

No it does not. Good try though.. Even those who own property here but don't live here are not residents. Residents are those that live here.. they do not have to own but live.. and if anyone gets caught trying to falsify their residency, Fl does have a strict policy.. It is a felony and you can loose your Drivers License! It isn't worth getting caught. It has nothing to do with Disney's discounts but Fl's homestead laws.. I know there are some who actually tell you how to get over the system, but like I said, if you get caught for a discount, think about what you are doing.. it is truly a felony in the State of FL. Even Mousesavers has it listed on their website warning people...

If you're not an actual Florida resident, can you just go to Florida, get a Florida ID and buy tickets at the Florida resident rate? Not legally. This scam is promoted by some web sites and "e-books" that sell advice about how to save money at Disney World. Here's what the Florida Dept of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles has to say about that: "Giving false information on an application for a driver license or identification card is a third degree felony which may result in arrest, and includes a one-year suspension of the driving privilege."

I have been at out all day and just got home. Earlier the AAA site had the announcement, then it disappeared.

Now- it is back up but in a modified form. It only mentions FL res APs and renewals being 15 months long.

It appears as of 5:40 pm today the the language covering non-FL residents has been removed.

and this explains why I could not get into it before I posted yesterday.. it was there when I looked, then I tried to double check, could not get into it.. Today when I went on, it was changed...

I have a question. I'm a Florida resident. If I purchase the voucher before December 31st, I qualify. I understand that. It says the pass must be activated by January 14th. I won't be arriving at Disney until January 18th. Will my passes automatically activate on the 14th, or do I physically have to be there? I don't want to show up on the 18th and find that I have missed out on the deal, so I'm hoping they automatically activate them on the final day of the offer.

O
Florida is huge state and anyone outside a 50 mile area is no more likely to visit than I am.

wrong.....being a Native Floridian you should know driving 70 or 80 miles on our straight Florida roads can be done in less than an hour and a half....we are south of Tampa and go out at least twice a week....Annual Season Pass Holders with renewal prices and 15 months for 12....THANKS DISNEY :goodvibes

To convert a voucher or exchange certificate to an actual Annual Pass you must present yourself with your voucher and (for anyone 18 or older) government-issued photo ID to any ticket window or Guest Relations Office. If you are a Florida Resident and you do this by January 14, 2010 your AP will have a 15 month expiration; if you go on January 15 or after the pass will have a 12 month expirations date from date of activation.

First of I have no sense of entitlement. I simply stated that it stinks that a person living 20 miles away from me and some 500 miles from Disney can save over 200 dollars on APs and now they even get extra months on top of that.

For the record I am a life long 40+ years Florida resident. I own Florida property and pay florida taxes. I also spend most of my off time in Florida spending money and paying more taxes. I moved to Alabama for work. Due to the fact that I am a public servant and hold a Alabama state medical license I have to have an Alabama Driver license. Blame that on insurance laws.

I don't see how you can say just because I don't have a Florida Driver license that I am less deserving of a break at Disney. A Florida license is still not proof of actual residency. It just means you had an address in Florida at one time. Many people never update after they move.

I know I will never win this argument. I just wish Disney would include everyone in this promotion. I seriously doubt it will help them sell any more offering it only to Florida people. They already get a good break on price. Give us other loyal customers something is all I'm asking here.

wrong.....being a Native Floridian you should know driving 70 or 80 miles on our straight Florida roads can be done in less than an hour and a half....we are south of Tampa and go out at least twice a week....Annual Season Pass Holders with renewal prices and 15 months for 12....THANKS DISNEY :goodvibes

And your point is ??? I was refering to the people that live in Pensacola some 500 miles away from Disney where I grew up. They are no more likely to visit Disney anymore than I am and probably less since I go every year. I would almost certainly go twice or three times with an AP. Yes I agree someone 50 miles may visit twice a month and someone 100 miles may visit once a month. There is always an exception. I'm sure you have neighbors that have not and never will go to Disney. What does that prove ?

I guess you just wanted to rub it in that I pay all the same taxes you do and recieve no benefit for it. Your Welcome

Borders are borders. Yes, they're arbitrary. One person lives on one side and one person lives on the other side. Is it fair that a kid who lives 20 miles from Buffalo over the Canadian border can't get in-state tuition or US Federal aid at SUNY Buffalo, but a kid who lives 300 miles away in NYC can? Or that the kid in Canada is an international? Is it fair the person living 20 miles from you in Florida can't get in-state tuition at University of Alabama? Why is a kid who's 18 an adult while a kid who's 17 and 364 days is not? Or one who's 21 legally able to drink while one who's 20 and 364 days not? All distinctions are arbitrary to some extent. I'm sure that you receive benefits as an Alabama resident that FL residents don't. You just want it both ways - you want to be an Alabama resident with Florida benefits.

Why do you blame Disney, and not your job requirements? I live in MA. In order to work for the City of Boston, one must live in Boston. I chose not to do so, so I don't work for the City of Boston. It's their requirement, and if I chose to work there, I would live there.

We all make choices that have consequences, and it's not Disney's problem (particularly not as a private corporation) if you don't like those consequences.

please don't begrudge us Residents a discount. While you may come here and travel for leisure, the residents who live here year round pay taxes here everyday of their life, not just a bed tax to a hotel for their vacation. They pay taxes here for everything they purchase, they put way more into the economy than any "traveler" can ever imagine... and most don't have a salary that can afford to travel to Disney as those from many other States.. Fl isn't at the top in income if you haven't noticed. If Disney wants local money, they need to give discounts. It isn't anything special to many of us as it is to many of the non locals. What would keep brining us back? While you come maybe once, twice a year.. maybe three times.. locals come as much as once a week... see the difference... again, there is no comparison to a local and a traveler on vacation. This subject is for another discussion not for the discount thread... :goodvibes

Not that this is about Disney, but since it is being discussed about paying taxes, isn't FL a state that doesn't have state taxes like those of us in other states? Also, I'm not sure if this is still the case since I haven't been to the grocery store in FL for a while but do have many family members that live in FL (both my parents were born there) but there has been a time when there wasn't even taxes on food. Ours is 7% now...

Not that this is about Disney, but since it is being discussed about paying taxes, isn't FL a state that doesn't have state taxes like those of us in other states? Also, I'm not sure if this is still the case since I haven't been to the grocery store in FL for a while but do have many family members that live in FL (both my parents were born there) but there has been a time when there wasn't even taxes on food. Ours is 7% now...

I completely agree with this. In Alabama we pay taxes on everything including food. Last time I remember Florida only has a state tax of 6 pct with no county or city taxes like us. I pay 9.5 pct taxes in Bama on everything. That does not include the hundreds of other catagories they tax even more for.

On the other point. We so called tourist spend thousands of dollars to use your roads and services for maybe a week each year. In my case I drive in and back out. Once there I use Disney transportation only. What do you actually pay to use the roads all year ? If were gonna compare lets use real numbers.

Yes I get the border thing. But Disney could come up with one discount for its loyal visitors. Especially the annual ones like me. They can count on my money every year. I also spend probably 20 times what a local person spends because they most likely don't eat every meal at Disney. They also don't stay at the hotels.

It just hits me wrong that so called locals get tripple discounts and we get nothing. I may be wrong but I don't think the locals keep Disney alive. If that is entitlement then I guess it is.

Sorry I didn't notice this was a Discount thread. I thought it was a discussion about wheather or not everyone got the 15 month APs. I'll stop posting here now.

The current value of an adult Play-4 Hopper is $190 (plus tax). A Resident AP is $369 and a SP is $249.

There is one problem with upgrading to a SP on a blockout date; that is if you have entered a Park on that day you cannot do the upgrade that day. If you have not entered a Park on a blockout date you can ugrade to a SP that day.

Whether you are going to an SP or AP, the upgrade is a new pass and as long as it is done prior to December 31, 2009, the validity will be for 15 months from the date of first use of your Play-4 pass.

Thanks, Cheshire.

so my choices as I understand them are:

1. we go to park on 12/19 using our play 4 days-which we will b/c it's DS's birthday-we'd have to wait until 12/20-our leaving day- and swing by to do the SP upgrade.

2. Since DS' birthday is always a blackout date, I get one AP now, and get the second in a few months-to space out $. We just never go in the summer....

3. Forget about the extra 3 mos. and upgrade within 6 mos of original use and be happy I've got a SP!

At the current time there are two temporary rules concerning Annual Passes. On notifications for both Disney has stated that the date range may change without notice.

1. For anybody (categories Tourist, Florida Resident, DVC Member, or Charter) renewing a Premium Annual Pass, Annual Pass or Florida Resident Seasonal Pass between August 2, 2009 and August 31, 2010 they will get a 15 month validity period instead of the normal 12. The renewal must vbe within 30 days on eihher side of expiration of the old pass (and by the way, the 30 day window on either side of expiration date has been in effect for at least 15 years).

Hi Cheshire Figment!

Could you tell me if I have this right, please. We are arriving on the 12th. We plan to upgrade our tickets to annual passes after arrival. We can renew starting next August 12th (30 days before expiration) & under current rules should get a 15 month pass at that time, right? As long as we renew before August 30th? Would our new expiration date start at the renewal date or the original expiration date?

Thanks for all your help!!:flower3:

Hi Cheshire Figment!

Could you tell me if I have this right, please. We are arriving on the 12th. We plan to upgrade our tickets to annual passes after arrival. We can renew starting next August 12th (30 days before expiration) & under current rules should get a 15 month pass at that time, right? As long as we renew before August 30th? Would our new expiration date start at the renewal date or the original expiration date?

Thanks for all your help!!:flower3:
When you do a renewal of an AP, the start date of the new AP is the same as the expiration date of the old AP, so if you renew early you must still use the old pass until it expires and then you start using the new pass.

So in your situation, if the new pass expires September 12, 2010 you would have a date range of August 13 thru October 12, 2010 to do a renewal and the new pass would have an expiration date of December 12, 2011.

When you do a renewal of an AP, the start date of the new AP is the same as the expiration date of the old AP, so if you renew early you must still use the old pass until it expires and then you start using the new pass.

So in your situation, if the new pass expires September 12, 2010 you would have a date range of August 13 thru October 12, 2010 to do a renewal and the new pass would have an expiration date of December 12, 2011.

Wow, that will be great! Now one more question I'm sure you've answered before: how does the renewal need to be done to qualify? Can we do it by mail/ phone before Aug 30, 2010 or do we have to be there in person to activate it before Aug 30 2010 to get the 15 months?

Thanks again for all your help & patience! I'm sure you must get tired of answering the same questions over & over! But we all appreciate your help!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter