OFFICIAL New Animal Kingdom Experiences UPDATE 5/28: Reports from first night in Post #2

A couple updates after another night at AK last night:

1. We were weathered out (like everyone else) from the 9pm show. Some CM's told us we could use the FPP again; others told us it should show up as an anytime FP. It eventually did but not until about 9:30 or so. We decided to just stick with Everest for a bit and planned to not bother with the show again. But when we left EE, it was about 10:25 and the theater didn't look full so we asked another CM if there was any way we could come in (FP side) since we'd had the FP for the earlier show. He said no and explained the anything FPP. I asked if there was a time when they might open it up since there was still seating. He asked how many we had (2) and passed us off to another CM. Thought she was going to lead us over to standby but she took use through a different entrance and put us right in the middle! (Section I in the above map).

2. For future reference, this section (I - furthest left section of FPP) was completely roped off. I counted when the show started and there were 30 people in the entire section. Didn't make a lot of sense to me and I'm not sure what it's reserved for normally (ie who is important enough to sit there?). Obviously pixie dust for us, but I don't think normal FPP people can. We sat about half way back up in the wooden seats (maybe 15 rows from the front?)

3. The difference from that location and where we were the night before (C - back row of the stone seating) was night and day! Whereas I had enjoyed the show the first night (and said I could see about 3/4 of the images), I realized last night that literally the first night I was "making out" the images (kind of like hand shadows) instead of seeing them, vividly, like I was watching a movie. It was that clear!! Plus we could see the whole show better from the middle, and had a good view of the main singer (who I could barely see the night before). From this angle, I would say this show was definitely on par with F! (except for no fireworks) and I really, really enjoyed it. I think the mixed reviews you're seeing on this show are a combination of people who had good seats (further back is definitely better) vs. poor and people who have seen the recent movie vs. not (although I had of course seen the older version, I'm not sure I would have followed this without having seen the new one). I took a bunch of pics last night (didn't take any the first night since I was sure they wouldn't come out) just with a basic iphone camera and got some nice images of the show and even some video.

4. One thing we noticed last night was that they didn't have any dancers on the two side barges. We were told this was in case of lightning (weather was still really iffy at this point) so they had one quick barge that could remove all the performers at once (who couldn't get back onto land directly) - made sense.

5. We also noticed it was a different main singer last night than the previous night so they have at least 2 CM's filling that role now.

6. We did the safari around 8pm before the first show, in a very steady rain. Not sure how much this contributes but we saw a ZILLION animals. Maybe I'm just comparing to the night safari the previous night or maybe the rain helps but it was true sunset at this point (maybe seemed a bit more that way due to the rain/clouds) and everyone seemed to be out.

7. We saw several more iterations of the Tree of Light show. Although we were told the "Disney" one was the Goodnight Kiss (and it was as we watched it both nights at 11:15pm), we also saw that one earlier in the evening. We saw the deer one and the birds one. Haven't seen whatever the 4th "long" segment is yet. From what I understand there are 4 "long" segments - in which the whole tree comes alive and the show lasts around 5 minutes. Then lots of little things happen between the shows - the tiger wakes up and walks around a bit, birds fly around, the deer stretches, rain falls, leaves fall - all of these are like 15-30 second animations. Last night we saw the "Disney" one around 9:35 (first one they did after lightning finally let up some) and then it was followed only a few minutes later by the deer one (maybe 9:40?). Nothing then until 10:02 or so when they did the bird one (well, lots of little things). Then the Disney one again at 11:15 (we did EE twice and JB in between), which is when they start tactfully herding you out.

8. As far as seating, there are several trees with uneven stones around the perimeters of them that you could use to sit on (right up near the front) and then, as mentioned, as soon as music started stand up and watch the show. However, if you do this you'll likely miss all the small things that happen in between since even when I was standing right up front against the wood fence I'd be looking around or glance at my phone and my husband would try to point something out and it would be too late by the time I looked. So I'd really recommend getting there and maybe sitting and waiting for music, then standing and watching a "show" and continuing to stand for the next 10 minutes or so to see all the small details and then watching the next show. Shouldn't be more than 20 minutes of standing total. This is definitely worth it!

9. Last night, at least before the rain was WAY more crowded than Saturday night had been. Even after the hour of rain/lightning/thunder (which we spent huddled in one of the hut/display areas by Everest with a little alcove and bicycle and hiking supplies - along with about 20 other people & one CM), it was still difficult walking around. Leaving at 11:20 was just wall to wall people. I hadn't felt that way at the same time Saturday. Obviously a holiday weekend but I would have expected similar crowds each evening. Lines weren't that bad though because I think everyone who was waiting was doing so for JB. We rode EE 3 times during the evening and it wasn't more than a 5 minute wait each time. And EVERY time my husband's name came up on one of the posters in the waiting area (the new technology that reads your MB) and never once my name. :(

10. We'd enjoyed Nomad Lounge & Pizzafari so much the night before that we went back again last night and did the same. Got my 2 kids' meals for $11 and we each got a different drink to try (I will say this time when I brought the food in I was told that we had to order cocktails in order to sit there and eat our pizza. Since we had already ordered the cocktails, this wasn't a problem!). Some pics of the food/drinks once again, a couple of the lounge, and I took pics of the 4 drinks from the menu that we've tried so far (going to try them all by some point!). Kind of funny - we sat at the same table we had previously and the folks across the aisle from us (in the "sofa" area for 4-5) were the same ones who had been there the previous evening as well!
IMG_8757.JPG IMG_8758.JPG IMG_8759.JPG IMG_8760.JPG IMG_8762.JPG IMG_8731.JPGIMG_8730.JPG

I haven't read many of the comments (because I really want to form my own opinions vs. having thoughts but in my head from others) so this may have been brought up but I do have one thought regarding the bad reviews and the soft openings and the start of the show.
Don't they do soft openings as a means to tweak things that don't work? And while they did debut the official shows it is still just beginning. Is there a chance they'll continue to tweak things? Or will they leave it as is till RoL is done, knowing this is just a fill in show?

I haven't read many of the comments (because I really want to form my own opinions vs. having thoughts but in my head from others) so this may have been brought up but I do have one thought regarding the bad reviews and the soft openings and the start of the show.
Don't they do soft openings as a means to tweak things that don't work? And while they did debut the official shows it is still just beginning. Is there a chance they'll continue to tweak things? Or will they leave it as is till RoL is done, knowing this is just a fill in show?

I think they'll continue to tweak things. At least from a logistics point of view. The survey I took asked about entering and exiting the venue. How we rated the show. How well we could see. etc.

We noticed that at least one of the songs from the soft opening wasn't included on Saturday night. All the JB songs were.

About the Tree of Life Awakenings - Are there "hub-like" crowds around the tree the entire night?

No, most people seemed to walk by until something noticeable was happening.

Is this the Kiss Goodnight or is this projection show shown at other points during the night?

I think it was this one in @yulilin3 description on the previous page, "A montage of scenes including gorillas, giraffes, brontosaurus, a black panther with glowing yellow eyes and Monarch butterflies."

I watched Jungle Book for the first time last night. I really enjoyed the live performers aspect. I only wish the singers were a little closer to the audience.

I'll definitely be visiting DAK a lot this summer.

I read through the new posts, but I didn't see anything...does anyone know what happened with the people who had the dining package for the rained (stormed) out show last night? I realize this can happen, just wondering what they did, if they got a FP for later, or if they just had the dinner, or what. I know you have to go to the dinner anyway, just like Fantasmic.

This is EasyWDW's video of all the scenes from the Tree of Life Awakening (along with a lot of impressive lightning from last night in the background!):

I read through the new posts, but I didn't see anything...does anyone know what happened with the people who had the dining package for the rained (stormed) out show last night? I realize this can happen, just wondering what they did, if they got a FP for later, or if they just had the dinner, or what. I know you have to go to the dinner anyway, just like Fantasmic.
Touring Plans reported that anyone with tickets for the rained out performance would have their tickets honored for any show within five days.

I'm thinking based on your response, that at the most, it would be 45 minutes (really hoping for no more than 30!). It is definitely operating DURING the JB show, right, and they don't temporarily pause it while that's going on?

I've seen that park more crowded during the day so I think as time goes by, it'll start to get a larger night crowd. It is a pain to get around everyone waiting so I think for the moment there is a huge distraction and EE is pretty safe. It runs throughout the night and doesn't' stop for the show.

This is EasyWDW's video of all the scenes from the Tree of Life Awakening (along with a lot of impressive lightning from last night in the background!):

Thank you SO much for sharing! I'm glued to my IPad like a wide eyed lil kid! Hands down, AK has been my favorite park anyway! I'm just giddy about all our nighttime fun coming up for our two trips! I could literally sit and watch the tree alone all night long. Come the completion of Pandora, my family won't be able to tear me away from AK! I love that Disney offers an exotic side to their magic with AK. I love traditional Disney magic too. But, something different at their same caliber is refreshing:love:

Went last night and really enjoyed the park. The safari at night was really nice. I liked that they didn't just blast lights on the animals. Having a safari darker forced people to put down their phones/cameras and just take in the sights. We didn't do the jungle book show because we honestly didn't care to see it. The tree was nice but nothing amazing in my opinion. I feel like Disney could've just said something like "hey come and enjoy animal kingdom later now" instead of over-hyping certain things. The singing and dancing was also really nice and fun. I'm glad animal kingdom is open later now and I hope it stays that way throughout the year.

So are L, K, Q and P the dining package area? With P and Q being the best sections to sit in?

I got the survey too... Took screenshots of all of the questions. Gave them (what I intended to be) lots of constructive criticism... I feel like I'm fairly critical of Disney but I asked my traveling companions' opinions to factor into the survey and was surprised how frequently they actually scored things "lower" than me.

I can type up the questions if anyone is interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter