• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*~~Official December 2016 Thread~~*

It's realllly easy to fall into the "table service trap". It's like, "ooh! I want that! and that! hey, wait, what about THAT??" There are so many appealing options!

We try to keep it in check, but it's so hard! This trip, we're *trying* to just visit all new spots, but I don't know if we'll succeed!!

As for counter service meals...

In the MK, we seem to always eat at Columbia Harbour House. It's a family favorite! But we've vowed to go for flat bread at Pinnochio's this year to watch the Small World boats instead, so I'm not sure if we'll get around to CHC this time! If you like hotdogs, and if by some miracle it's not overflowing with people, Casey's Corner is good.

At Epcot, your options are wide open in terms of counter service. We tend to snack around the world instead of having a real lunch. We like the fish and chips from Yorkshire County Fish Shop, and you can't really go wrong at Les Halles. Tangierine Cafe in Morocco is always on our list, but we're usually full by the time we get there, lol!

At Animal Kingdom, people LOVE Flame Tree Barbeque, and the counter service version of Yak and Yeti is pretty good, and has huge sharable portions. (also, don't miss out on going across the walkway to Anandapur Tea Co and trying the frozen chai!! )Also the Harambe Marketplace. AK is another place where snacking instead of having a full meal is an option, because the samosas at Mr. Kamal's are very good, and there are more interesting options in general throughout the park.

Hollywood Studios is just not known for it's good quick serve meals. I don't think I've ever had anything quick serve there that I can recall!

And depending on your resort (I didn't go back and check where you're staying), you might have some good options there as well :-)

Heh, Was going to respond but no point now, xlsm picked my favorites already :)

Columbia Harbour House
Yorkshire County Fish Shop
Flame Tree BBQ

Again, there's nothing at all wrong with you wanting to do tons of TS, because there are so many good ones to try. It's just that sometimes people forget that a TS is about 1.5 hours minimum each.

This is perfect, thank you both!! I think I will keep our ADRs to dinner or breakfast and stick to CS during the day so as not to spend valuable touring hours for lunch. I really appreciate it!

Ok, my December friends. I have gone to WDW 15+ times, but always in April. I want to see the holiday decorations so I am looking at coming down from 11/30-12/4 (we would be getting in late on 11/30 so just going right to bed that night and then parks Thur, Fri, Sat). I'm looking at All Star Music....is it going to be over run by Pop Warner crowd?

Ok, my December friends. I have gone to WDW 15+ times, but always in April. I want to see the holiday decorations so I am looking at coming down from 11/30-12/4 (we would be getting in late on 11/30 so just going right to bed that night and then parks Thur, Fri, Sat). I'm looking at All Star Music....is it going to be over run by Pop Warner crowd?

We have gone the last three years last weekend of November first week of December. This year we will be leaving one day before you. You will notice them starting to arrive toward the end of you vacation. But, your getting out at a good time.

Also, last year they changed the week they recorded the Holiday Parade. But keep an eye out for that announcement. It has been during this week several times last couple years. It sounds like fun, but all it really does is ruin any photo opportunities on Main Street and other areas. You also don't really get to enjoy the ongoing "Entertainment" because they keep stopping and reshooting. Its annoying. If its announced during our stay, we will make sure to plan to have certain photos taken well in advance.

I will be staying at the CSR forn 12/9-12/16 with my DDS ages 5 and 8. We have tickets for the Christmas Party for 12/11. I have not stayed at the CSR and am nervous because I really want this to be a magical experience for my girls! I can't wait!!!

Also, last year they changed the week they recorded the Holiday Parade. But keep an eye out for that announcement. It has been during this week several times last couple years. It sounds like fun, but all it really does is ruin any photo opportunities on Main Street and other areas. You also don't really get to enjoy the ongoing "Entertainment" because they keep stopping and reshooting. Its annoying. If its announced during our stay, we will make sure to plan to have certain photos taken well in advance.

Thx for the heads up!

So, I'm officially joining this thread. We are coming 11/30 - 12/4 and staying at AsMusic . First time going in Dec to see the holiday decorations! We usually go in April. We just got home 2 weeks ago and I needed to have a new countdown. 208 days. I'm excited!!

HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! With free dining in December I was able to convince my husband that we needed to go again over Christmas instead of waiting until Summer of 2017. Woohoo! It's official we are heading to the Wilderness Lodge Dec 17-22nd. This will be our 3rd trip, 2nd time during Christmas. I am super excited! My husband can't keep a secret so I'm hoping he'll hold out until July before we tell the girls. I'll have their autograph books made by then to give them and see if they pick up on the "Christmas" hint.

Welcome to everyone who just joined!
Good points made about TS restaurants. Do they really take over an hour to eat at? We were planning TS but mainly character buffets. My daughter won't last 1 1/2 hrs at a sit down. Also, do the CM's at TS restaurants provide any colouring or activity books for kids? ADR date is less than a month away and I'm still trying to figure it all out!

Also, after discussion with my family, we have decided we are going to skip MVMCP. My DD won't be able to stay up that late I think to take advantage of shorter ride lines and since we plan to RD most mornings we'll need to be in bed early-ish. The fireworks are still shown on non party nights I believe?

TAK here -- just switched our resort to AoA, which is what I wanted but not Little Mermaid rooms available when we first booked. Yay!

We don't qualify for the free dining, staying at SoG .....but i am super excited to book ADRs soon!! Also got MVMCP tickets for 12/18 it will be our first!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to everyone who just joined!
Good points made about TS restaurants. Do they really take over an hour to eat at? We were planning TS but mainly character buffets. My daughter won't last 1 1/2 hrs at a sit down. Also, do the CM's at TS restaurants provide any colouring or activity books for kids? ADR date is less than a month away and I'm still trying to figure it all out!

Also, after discussion with my family, we have decided we are going to skip MVMCP. My DD won't be able to stay up that late I think to take advantage of shorter ride lines and since we plan to RD most mornings we'll need to be in bed early-ish. The fireworks are still shown on non party nights I believe?

Here are a few of my thoughts on TS
  • You have to reserve them, so you need to time out when to get there, which may impact you, or it may not. Best case, you're near there anyway and ready to eat. Worst case, you have to bail on a long-wait ride like 7DMT or TSMM to get enough time to run across the park to your ADR (or should I say, by 15 minutes after your ADR).
  • You may not get seated right away. Busy days could see upwards of 1/2 hour just waiting around outside.
  • Once inside, you need to get seated, meet your server, order your drinks, read the menu, order your meal, wait for your meal, eat your meal, wait for the bill, then pay your bill. Buffets are much better than this, but you still may find long lines for the food, or have to wait for a specific food you like to be replenished.
All this adds up, and can fluctuate based on crowd levels. I can't ever see any TS meal lasting under an hour even under the best circumstances. If it does, are you really enjoying the meal/characters/atmosphere? Then there are things like tipping, which you have to do at TS, even with the dining plan, so $1000 worth of TS suddenly becoming $1200 can surprise you if you didn't budget for it.

This may sound like I'm down on TS, but I LOVE doing it (assuming the food is good!). It's fun and wonderful and adventurous in so many ways. But, like most things at WDW, it takes a lot of knowledge, planning and awareness to make the most out of it.

All updated!!

:welcome: friends!!

There's no Facebook page yet that I know of...let me see what I can do!

I agree! I normally travel with a big group and young kids so the timing of our ADRs is very important. A lot of times we try to early dinners so that if some want to go back to the resort to freshen up or relax they can, but also we are usually finished dining before the night time entertainment. As much as I enjoy Ohana we know anything after 8:00 will not work for our group. We also sometimes do a late lunch (not as big as bang for your buck if you are on the dining plan, but works for our touring plans). We rarely do early breakfasts because getting 10 people up and out the door is way too stressful for me. But we love TS meals, I love the break and usually an adult beverage and the kids have to take a break too.

Ok, here's what happens every time I try to start a Facebook group...it forces me to add a friend to the group before it will create it. Maybe because I'm trying to make it a closed group??? I failed last July, and I'm failing now...Probably I just don't know what I'm doing in terms of group creation. So either someone can trust me to be their friend and send me a PM to add them and I'll get one started, or one of you who knows more about Fbook groups than I do can make one and post the link, LOL!!

Hello all! My family and I will be visiting WDW for the first time this December. We will be there Dec 10 - 17 and staying at CBR. There will be 7 of us (Me, hubby, son (16) daughter (9), my Mom and Dad, and nephew (17). We can't wait!

I am not sure how to plan without the December hours out! Last trip was Jan 2016 and the hours were out for much longer before these ones are being released, I had lots of time to plan out our park choices before I had to make the ADR's. The November travellers are only getting one days notice right now for booking ADR's, how are you supposed to get a proper plan together? Does everyone just use last years park hours as a guide and hope for the best?

I should add a December intro :), we are going the second week of December with FD. This is only our second trip to WDW, the first was in January for my dd's wish trip at a AOA Little Mermaid room. We loved it so much we are going back years earlier than we ever expected to and we are bringing our niece with us!! We will be staying at CBR this time!

Hey Everyone! My wife and I are taking our kids (DS9, DD7, DS5), as well as my mother-in-law to WDW for their first visit. Going Dec 10-17. Due to budget constraints and party size, we are renting a condo in Windsor Hills rather than stay on-site :(. Will be my first trip back to the World after basically living there the first 18 years of my life. (Lived just north of MK, thanks to FL being so flat, could see fireworks from my bedroom window every night). We wanted to wait until my youngest was big enough to enjoy, and decided 44" tall was the magic number, as that gets him on nearly everything. We gambled a little, as he was only 42" when we bought the tickets, but he literally rose to the occasion, hitting a growth spurt the last couple months and is already at 44" now :yay:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter