*****Official April 2020 thread*****

Just out of curiosity which are you more concerned with, yourselves getting sick or your kids? Everything that's been presented so far has seemed to indicate that those under 20 aren't really showing much in the way of impact from this disease. You have every right to your own concerns, as a parent of 2, I'm also keeping an eye out on this with them and me and my wife in mind, but right now i'm more concerned about my parents and father in law for our trip in April.

End of the day if you feel your concern is going to outweigh your potential excitement I'd say postpone your trip if possible to another time. It's sad to do after all that time preparing but if you think you aren't going to be able to enjoy yourself because of your own concerns it's likely not going to help you to really have the kind of enjoyment you might want out of the trip. Still your decision though.
I am generally concerned about how quickly this is going to spread and how a quick spread will negatively impact the death rates for both coronavirus affected people and also generally other ill people. It sounds like at this time the US should focus on "flattening the curve", meaning do what we can to slow down the virus' spread so that our health care system is not inundated. My dread mainly comes from the uncertainty of what will happen in the next few weeks--it feels like we're at the precipice of either a massive sh*tshow or hopefully getting our act together to do mass testing and slow it down to a manageable increase. That being said I don't want to postpone my own trip at this time--I'm both reluctant to on a personal level because I've been so excited to surprise the kids and also generally unsure as to when I could even postpone it to due to school schedules and Florida heat. We are scheduled to fly out on April 12th. If the week before our trip WDW is business as usual, I will go and have a good time. But my fear is that things will be very different (for the worse) in 3-4 weeks time...This is a good explainer, in case interested: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

I have seen that graphic everywhere and the suggestion that people should be avoiding crowds regardless of whether you personally are at risk to slow the spread of the disease. It feels like going to WDW is not really following those recommendations when you consider the parks are packed with 50K people each.
Yes absolutely--I'm probably not being perfectly rational, as I am as human and self-interested as anyone else! And if my trip was this weekend, this would be a *very* hard and different decision. I guess in my mind, if in 3-4 weeks the spread remains manageable, then I feel like my WDW trip is not as big a deal since I and my kids are not personally that much at risk of getting it. However, my fear is that while I don't necessarily think the parks will shut down, none of us know what the infection and mortality rate will be like in 3-4 weeks and what measures cities and airlines will be taking because of it. I mean for all I know, NYC could be a containment zone and I literally won't be able to leave! People in Milan were out and about in restaurants just one week ago and now Italy is pretty much shut down. An extreme example, but just not knowing (and not having confidence in my government) makes it extra stressful. But again, if in 4 weeks there hasn't been a massive spike with emergency measures imposed, then I'd go on my own trip and be okay with it.

I am generally concerned about how quickly this is going to spread and how a quick spread will negatively impact the death rates for both coronavirus affected people and also generally other ill people. It sounds like at this time the US should focus on "flattening the curve", meaning do what we can to slow down the virus' spread so that our health care system is not inundated. My dread mainly comes from the uncertainty of what will happen in the next few weeks--it feels like we're at the precipice of either a massive sh*tshow or hopefully getting our act together to do mass testing and slow it down to a manageable increase. That being said I don't want to postpone my own trip at this time--I'm both reluctant to on a personal level because I've been so excited to surprise the kids and also generally unsure as to when I could even postpone it to due to school schedules and Florida heat. We are scheduled to fly out on April 12th. If the week before our trip WDW is business as usual, I will go and have a good time. But my fear is that things will be very different (for the worse) in 3-4 weeks time...This is a good explainer, in case interested: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

I get where you are coming from, a typical outbreak is going to have a time where it is on an exponential curve before it eventually becomes the logistic curve that the majority of outbreaks end up following. The question is what period are we in here in the US or even on a global scale. Signs are indicating that after 2 months of insanity in China that the development of new cases has been below that 1.00+ since roughly the middle of february which is what you would see in the switch to the logistic curve which is a positive sign going forward.

The obvious question is what does that mean here. Here, we do have the privilege of more knowledge about the disease as shared by the Chinese, South Koreans, Italians and all other nations monitoring this disease. With the number of cases we've seen increased it's likely that we're still in the exponential growth phase of the logistic curve, but fortunately we have the time to wait and see what shakes out over the next month.

It's a concern for sure but with the measures in place there at least hasn't yet been a huge boom of community spread just yet nationwide.

Universities in my area are all switching to online courses following spring break as we have 8 cases in my state (all of which are from travel and are currently under self isolation).

My major concern tbh is the consolidation of flights by airlines due to the reduction in bookings. The dip in pricing will help to get folks to fill most flights but that won't stop airlines from shuffling schedules to have more full planes but less travel to your destination. I had that happen to me last summer with the whole Max 8 situation, got switched from an early morning non-stop flight to a 3-stop flight plan with multiple layovers and changing of planes, fortunately i could change that to a 1 stop trip but was still an added hassle.

Last edited:
It's a concern for sure but with the measures in place there at least hasn't yet been a huge boom of community spread just yet nationwide

We have no idea of knowing this since we just haven't been testing though. The US is shockingly behind in its per capita coronavirus testing (see image in below link). Once we catch up, I believe it's going to be staggering and my dread comes from not knowing what will happen when we get an actually accurate picture of the problem. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-covid-19-tests-per-capita-chart-us-behind-2020-3

We have no idea of knowing this since we just haven't been testing though. The US is shockingly behind in its per capita coronavirus testing (see image in below link). Once we catch up, I believe it's going to be staggering and my dread comes from not knowing what will happen when we get an actually accurate picture of the problem. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-covid-19-tests-per-capita-chart-us-behind-2020-3

Don't want to dive this thread too far off the path of discussing April trip plans, there's a COVID-19 thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...virus-discussion-on-topic-posts-only.3795738/

Don't want to dive this thread too far off the path of discussing April trip plans, there's a COVID-19 thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...virus-discussion-on-topic-posts-only.3795738/
That is fair, thanks, and I’ll look at that thread too but I couldn’t leave unrebutted the contention that we haven’t had much community spread, sorry. We have no way of knowing this and all signs point to this being very inaccurate—I didnt want anyone to be inadvertently mislead!

That is fair, thanks, and I’ll look at that thread too but I couldn’t leave unrebutted the contention that we haven’t had much community spread, sorry. We have no way of knowing this and all signs point to this being very inaccurate—I didnt want anyone to be inadvertently mislead!

I wasn't saying there hasn't been community spread though, just that so far it has been fairly localized as is being reported at the current time.

That article presented also doesn't include the statewide testing numbers that have been ongoing, including the public facilities that can now do testing so those numbers presented are likely inaccurate. The article itself references that but they don't know for sure how far behind the US really is in the amount of testing per million people they have done. The article also doesn't indicate when the testing for the various countries began to give you an idea of how many tests per day each nation has been capable of performing from when they first started testing.

There's a lot of unknowns to a lot of what's being presented and it makes it difficult to determine what's actually accurate, which can put added stress for folks planning a trip to a densely populated area like Disney World/Disneyland over the course of the next 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
I refuse to worry until/unless there is something to worry about. Easier said than done for some, I know, and usually I am a big worrier, but I just don't have the energy to do it for this.
I'm with you! I'm generally a worrier but am not worried about our early April trip. Thousands and thousands of people die each year from the flu (and all ages). People don't not go places and freak out each flu season. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm with you! I'm generally a worrier but am not worried about our early April trip. Thousands and thousands of people die each year from the flu (and all ages). People don't not go places and freak out each flu season. 🤦🏼‍♀️

The CDC doesn't usually tell people to practice social distancing (avoiding large gatherings) for the flu. They are saying that for Covid-19.

that because this isnt a standard flu ( or even a flu )

Really hoping to not cancel my April trip, but have to be realistic that travel might just be a bad idea - set a date for 4/10 to make the final decision based on the climate and outlook - cleared it with my 10 year old daughter! Good thing is that I can get most of the package $$$ back and bank the flight credit till later.

(but secretly hoping we still go - thinking crowd levels and lines could be fantastic)

Does anyone know if it’s possible for me to just place a hold on a November trip with a $200 deposit just in case I have to cancel the April one? Or should I hold off? My full April trip payment is due to this week. Am I SOL once I pay it? Thanks!!

Does anyone know if it’s possible for me to just place a hold on a November trip with a $200 deposit just in case I have to cancel the April one? Or should I hold off? My full April trip payment is due to this week. Am I SOL once I pay it? Thanks!!

You can definitely place the $200 hold on a room for November. It would be, of course a separate reservation than your current one. Once you make your full payment, the date range of 2-29 days out til your trip comes into play. You get your payment back EXCEPT the $200 deposit first made. If you're one day out you are not getting anything back.

You can definitely place the $200 hold on a room for November. It would be, of course a separate reservation than your current one. Once you make your full payment, the date range of 2-29 days out til your trip comes into play. You get your payment back EXCEPT the $200 deposit first made. If you're one day out you are not getting anything back.
Thank you!! Is that true for any park tickets bought too, out of curiosity?

Thank you!! Is that true for any park tickets bought too, out of curiosity?
If you bought tickets as part of the package, the same applies. If you bought separately, then you most likely cannot get a refund but you wouldn't lose the value. They could be changed to a future date. You just may have to pay more based on the pricing of those dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter