Official 2017 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (Jan 12th - 15th, 2017)

Hows training going for everyone?

With weather over 90 degrees each day, it's just too hot and humid for me to run. We have DDD in two weeks and I think that's when the weather will finally break.

That said - while I haven't run, I have been able to walk and keep active. October and November are 5 half marathon weekends, so I'm not worried about training. I'm just trying to get through the heat and the next 2-3 weeks. :sad::sad::sad::sad:

I seem to have developed pain in both my heels but I soldier one about a mile per day during the week. I go out in the dawn hour since it is still so hot and humid here in Florida.

What really irked me was the hotel room situation. The Disney hotels release rooms to us via email on July 19, but not to the public or dvc until August. So this means by the time I tried to book using dvc points, I was shut out. We don't have $1000 for 4 nights at dlh (we check in to dvc at vgc on Monday 1/16) so we are at the super 8 for those nights.

Oh well, more points and cash for our trip to the Asia parks next fall!

I'm not quite sure what happened. I signed up for the Dark Side Half as my first Disney Race ever. I haven't run Half marathon in quite a few a years. Anyways, I was looking at race reports and ogling the bling and the next thing I knew I signed up for the Rebel Challange through Acclaim. So now this will be my first Disney race and my first time going to Disneyland.

Ahhh, the allure of the runDisney medals. That's what got me intrigued enough to ask another runner about it in the first place and started me down this path.

I signed up for the Inaugural Rebel Challenge because I thought that the Medal of Bravery design (medal Leia gives Luke and Han at the end of Star Wars) would be used for the Rebel Challenge and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Then they used that design for the 1/2. But I don't regret it at all. The 10K is a sufficiently different experience from the 1/2 and I really enjoyed it.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about Disneyland. I think quite a few of us on the Light Side race are Disneyland veterans. I've had an annual pass since 2006.

Just adding my name to the thread. I'm in my mid-40s, and only started running with C25K in May. I did my first 5K in June, another in July, and then a 10K for PoT last weekend. I'm signed up for the half, and I signed up last week for DS half as well.

I figure as mid-life crises go, I could do worse than this. :)

I'm very new at the whole experience, but I think I'm doing OK with finding my way through. The thread has been tremendously helpful with tips and advice regarding planning, and I appreciate that!
Welcome to the club!

That was me....3 years ago. I started off with a 8k.....went on to a 10k.....then 7 miles for Bay to Breakers....rinse and repeat every year since. Yeah, all a few years back in my early 40s as well ;)

Now onto my first half marathon.....in the happiest place on earth!

I have a 9 mile long run on schedule for this weekend. Due to scheduling issues, I'm gonna have to do it on the treadmill. I'm pretty much dreading it.

I'm signed up to run the Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon (my first one!) in January and I'm wondering what sort of clothing people typically wear for this event. I am not very familiar with January weather in Southern California so I am not sure whether to plan on tank top and shorts or something warmer (short sleeve shirt and capris?). I know the event is still a long way off but I am starting to think about a running costume (which will probably involve something along the lines of a themed/decorated top and a sparkly skirt over my regular running bottoms) so I was just curious what people had worn in previous years. Any suggestions from the veterans of this race (or those familiar with running in January in SoCal)? Thanks!

My advice is to be ready for anything. I will be in capris, tank and will have a long sleeve over that I can take off and tie around my waits. Kind of my go-to, unless it's super hot. Then I would be in shorts or a skirt. No matter what, I always start in a long sleeve. Also, I have taken a garbage bag and used it to stay warm while waiting in the corrals.

I'm signed up to run the Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon (my first one!) in January and I'm wondering what sort of clothing people typically wear for this event. I am not very familiar with January weather in Southern California so I am not sure whether to plan on tank top and shorts or something warmer (short sleeve shirt and capris?). I know the event is still a long way off but I am starting to think about a running costume (which will probably involve something along the lines of a themed/decorated top and a sparkly skirt over my regular running bottoms) so I was just curious what people had worn in previous years. Any suggestions from the veterans of this race (or those familiar with running in January in SoCal)? Thanks!

I've done this race weekend 4 times now. The first year I wore capri's and a short sleeve top. All the other years I've worn a skirt and either a short sleeve or tank top. I use a mylar blanket in the corrals before the start (or a throw away sweatshirt) but I've found it warms up pretty quickly for me. I've never been cold and though I should have dressed warmer.

I like to wear things that I normally run in but are themed.... so something along the lines of capri pants, calf sleeves, and some sort of tank top. I really like the racer tank tops from Raw Threads and they have so many cute themed tanks! I have one that says "In a corral far far away!" because I'm a slower runner and embrace my slowness (I'm just getting better ROI for my investment!) plus it's a play on the "galaxy far far away".

I shy away from running costumes because I want to be comfortable when I run. 13 miles plus queue time is a long time for me and I want to be as comfy as possible without extra added weight. Plus sometimes the fabrics don't breathe just right. I'm about function over form.

January is a weird time here in So Cal - I live right down the street from Disneyland. We've had it in the mid-70s with full sun and some times it's cold and raining in January. This year has been abnormally warm but i cannot tell you what the weather will be like in January. Definitely agree with @kirstie101 's suggestion of a throw away jacket or a mylar blanket. I've also bought knee-high socks from target for $1.50 and used those as sleeve warmers until I get too warm. They fit right up the arm and are easy to toss off when I need to cool down.

Weather wise, I think it pays to be prepared. For both 2015 and 2016, I've been fine with my long sleeve running shirt during the races. However for 2015 I wish I had something for the corrals as that got a bit chilly. Once I started the race I had no problems.

Having learned my 2015 lesson, I had a blanket that folded into a very light backpack that I used for the 10K and then snagged a mylar blanket after the 10K that I used the next morning for the 1/2. I discarded that just before starting the race and then grabbed another mylar blankeet after the race that I'm saving for 2017.

I overheat easily in general, so especially when I run. The hardest part is that it IS cold for this Socal girl in the mornings. I wear tanks with arm sleeves (easy to take off once I get hot) and a throwaway hoodie that gets donated by those who collect them.

I overheat easily in general, so especially when I run. The hardest part is that it IS cold for this Socal girl in the mornings. I wear tanks with arm sleeves (easy to take off once I get hot) and a throwaway hoodie that gets donated by those who collect them.

Ah, the Socal upbringing has spoiled us! I also overheat quickly but the cold mornings of a race are tough. My first half I made a mistake and wore a jacket and gloves and ended up having to tie it around my waist and carry the gloves in my hand after about 0.25 miles. The second half I was just in a tank (it was Tink, pictured in my avatar). That was in May, but January is obviously colder. So I'm thinking about using a mylar blanket or perhaps a garbage bag? I was too shy the first time, but noticed a lot of people using garbage bags and at Tink a lot had saved the mylar blankets from the 10k as @Sleepless Knight mentioned.

I like to wear things that I normally run in but are themed.... so something along the lines of capri pants, calf sleeves, and some sort of tank top. I really like the racer tank tops from Raw Threads and they have so many cute themed tanks! I have one that says "In a corral far far away!" because I'm a slower runner and embrace my slowness (I'm just getting better ROI for my investment!) plus it's a play on the "galaxy far far away".

I shy away from running costumes because I want to be comfortable when I run. 13 miles plus queue time is a long time for me and I want to be as comfy as possible without extra added weight. Plus sometimes the fabrics don't breathe just right. I'm about function over form.

January is a weird time here in So Cal - I live right down the street from Disneyland. We've had it in the mid-70s with full sun and some times it's cold and raining in January. This year has been abnormally warm but i cannot tell you what the weather will be like in January. Definitely agree with @kirstie101 's suggestion of a throw away jacket or a mylar blanket. I've also bought knee-high socks from target for $1.50 and used those as sleeve warmers until I get too warm. They fit right up the arm and are easy to toss off when I need to cool down.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Sounds like the most important thing is to have warm layers to wear before the race that can be easily disposed of while running. I will definitely plan on that!

I am also a slower runner, so I love the idea of maximizing my ROI by running slower :) And comfort will definitely be important, especially considering it is my first half marathon ... it is so tempting (and fun!) to get into planning a running costume but a themed tank is probably a much better plan and will hopefully work for most weather scenarios if I have warm layers over the top to take off as I run.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Sounds like the most important thing is to have warm layers to wear before the race that can be easily disposed of while running. I will definitely plan on that!

I am also a slower runner, so I love the idea of maximizing my ROI by running slower :) And comfort will definitely be important, especially considering it is my first half marathon ... it is so tempting (and fun!) to get into planning a running costume but a themed tank is probably a much better plan and will hopefully work for most weather scenarios if I have warm layers over the top to take off as I run.

Whatever tank or outfit you wear... you're going to be fab-u-lous! :D

(Slow runners unite! I'm a 3 hour half marathoner and I am perfectly happy enjoying my time and just taking it all in. The course will be fun! Enjoy the moment - you paid a LOT of money for it!)

Hello,

I knocked a 5K out on the TM last weekend just to get a feel for where I was starting. Too hot and humid outside! Thankfully it was a good run. Mechanics felt strong and smooth. I reminded myself when I went after Coast to Coast a few years ago that I felt like I was running hard at 4.7 mph. I could not walk at 4.0 mph as it was too fast. Now I can run comfortably at 5.0 mph and walk at 4.0. I'll never be fast, but it beats giving up and sitting on the couch!! My body is not built to run, so I just loosely Galloway my way.

Last night I signed up for three 10K runs in Sept and Oct. I am not looking forward to peaking with distance and having to maintain it all winter since I'm Kessel Challenge in 2017.

I second Raw Threads for their super soft bamboo shirts! I LOVE the shirt I got at my first Expo so much that I recently bought 3 more shirts from them. I figured I am ALWAYS exercising and it pays to be in clothes that make you comfortable. Sparkle skirts are my other splurge. ALL of those pockets!! I ordered 2 tank tops for my costumes this week. We will see how they test out and what bottoms I will go with...

Good luck everyone!!

Do those of you that use mylar blankets on race morning just throw them away, like the throw-away sweatshirts? And where exactly do you toss them? I imagine that you can't just throw them on the ground where there are runners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter