Official 2017 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (Jan 12th - 15th, 2017)

Went for my first run in a little over two weeks this morning. Wasn't bad considering. I've really been focusing on my cycling - I've got a week long cycling trip in September. Will refocus on running after that. But the cycling certainly helps with aerobic conditioning!

Looks like Paint the Night Parade is going down after September 5th according to twitter yesterday. :(

Obligatory:

67151253.jpg

Oh well, at least I have to go to bed early Friday and Saturday night.

The PTN news surprised me as well, though I still think it will come back. Maybe not every night like it has been, but paying customers can carry a lot of weight.

At least it makes it easier for a Disney World veteran to decide which nighttime show to see at Disneyland, but that's not a good thing.

Meanwhile, I find myself hoping that Disney World will still have the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular for the 2017 Dark Side 1/2 Marathon. At least they'd better. . . .

That depends greatly on your point of view. Sounds like Tower of Terror will be down for its conversion into a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction of the same ilk. Space Mountain will be open, but will they bring back Hyperspace Mountain after Halloweentime this year? However, like the last 2 years, Small World will likely still be open with its Christmas overlay.

This January will be an especially interesting time to visit Disneyland. With Star Wars Land construction still going on, the Rivers of America attractions including Fantastic are closed. The Disneyland Railroad is also closed. They're all scheduled to reopen sometime next summer. I think that Disneyland will still have fireworks on race weekend and World of Color.

Some people are speculating that PTN is just down for the holidays and will go through some refurbishing. But who knows.

Looks like MSEP is coming back to DL! I'm excited about this news and hope the parade is running during race weekend. Would love for my kids to see it.

Just got back from a 10 day vacation in 90+ weather. We did a lot of hiking around, but no running. I've got to start back up asap!

Looks like MSEP is coming back to DL! I'm excited about this news and hope the parade is running during race weekend. Would love for my kids to see it.

Just got back from a 10 day vacation in 90+ weather. We did a lot of hiking around, but no running. I've got to start back up asap!

I'm happy MSEP is going home, but also so bummed I won't see it in Nov at WDW. But hoping I'll see it in Jan and thankful that my kiddos all stayed up for it this past May so that we could all experience it together. Depending on how long it runs might be extra motivation to try to get them "home" to the west coast to see family and MSEP again.

I'm so excited! I remember watching this as a kid. I can't wait to watch it with my kids and mom by my side! I'm hoping we'll take a quick trip in November and get to see it then. I really dont want to be up for a night time parade on race weekend. But I'll stay up if I have to!

Training is going good. Doing 8 miles tomorrow.

I just booked my DCA Hotel reservations for the MLK Weekend for the Half Marathon at DL and will soon book my spot for this run in January 2017.

I've run 7 miles ( at most ) at the SF Bay To Breakers and have done a bunch of 10k runs but haven't done a half marathon before.

I have 5 months to train myself to run 13 miles and am real hesitant as to whether I can do this....but I decided that I wanted to challenge myself this upcoming year you know.....cuz YOLO.

It's going to be a really hard 5 months :sad1:

What should I expect for a RunDisney Half Marathon at DL?

Looks like Paint the Night Parade is going down after September 5th according to twitter yesterday. :(
Growing up with the Electrical Parade, we finally saw the Paint the Night Parade just last month. I was REALLY impressed by what DL could do with actual updated technology. I assume that DL will bring it back soon.

Thanks! I didn't realize that you can book rooms through the RunDisney Website. I initially booked the room straight from the Disneyland website. Going through RunDisney allowed me to book the same room and save about $250!

Well, I'm all in now.....reserved my spot for the Half Marathon and booked the room. I have no excuses now.......;)

I just now have to push myself to eventually run 13 miles :rolleyes1

Since you've done Bay to Breakers, you know all about wacky costumes! :P but Disney has put in some rules, so I would take a look at them. I've only done 1 rundisney half and haven't done Bay to Breakers, but I was really impressed by the crowd support at the runDisney event. I'm really looking forward to 501st legion!

If you've done 7 miles, it's just a few more until 13! You can do it!!! Especially in 5 months! Just remember to go SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW :) You don't want to over do it and get injuries! If you want a plan, you can try Hal Higdon and many others floating out there.

Thanks! I didn't realize that you can book rooms through the RunDisney Website. I initially booked the room straight from the Disneyland website. Going through RunDisney allowed me to book the same room and save about $250!

Well, I'm all in now.....reserved my spot for the Half Marathon and booked the room. I have no excuses now.......;)

I just now have to push myself to eventually run 13 miles :rolleyes1

But the rooms through rundisney are the standard rooms where it looks like you get the rooms facing the parking lot or toward the start and finish line. If you are not running all the races, be prepared to be woken up before 4:30am because you do hear the noise and feel the bass from the music and announcers. Through online at disneyland, you can book the pool facing rooms that will shield you from the noise and bass. This would be for the disneyland hotel.

For grand california, i would be careful of the park facing rooms and the downtown disney. For the downtown disney, you will hear noise from spectators that pack the street below as the 5k and 10k will likely go through there. This will not be as early but stilll about 6 am.

For the park facing, becareful of 10k day if you have a room by grizxly rapids or soaring. There is a mile marker right there and each mile marker has a speaker playing music. Again you'll be woken up early with the noise and bass.

Last edited:
I just booked my DCA Hotel reservations for the MLK Weekend for the Half Marathon at DL and will soon book my spot for this run in January 2017.

I've run 7 miles ( at most ) at the SF Bay To Breakers and have done a bunch of 10k runs but haven't done a half marathon before.

I have 5 months to train myself to run 13 miles and am real hesitant as to whether I can do this....but I decided that I wanted to challenge myself this upcoming year you know.....cuz YOLO.

It's going to be a really hard 5 months :sad1:

You're already further ahead than I was when I ran my first 1/2 ever. I went from couch potato to 1/2 marathon in 4 months. 5 months is plenty of time to be in shape for a 1/2. Just select a good training plan that you like and stick with it. Runners here will give you a variety of options. I've always found that the Jeff Galloway plans on runDisney's website work great, but others have plans that work just as well for them so figure out what you like.

The Galloway plan for the Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland will officially start in mid September. While 13.1 miles seems very daunting right now, just remember that it's August. You don't need to be up that kind of distance until January. So work towards that end goal. Under the Galloway plan, the maintenance runs during the week keep you at your most recent long run. By working in the distance runs on the weekend, you gradually increase your mileage so your body adjusts to it without overdoing it and increasing injury risk.

Just adding my name to the thread. I'm in my mid-40s, and only started running with C25K in May. I did my first 5K in June, another in July, and then a 10K for PoT last weekend. I'm signed up for the half, and I signed up last week for DS half as well.

I figure as mid-life crises go, I could do worse than this. :)

I'm very new at the whole experience, but I think I'm doing OK with finding my way through. The thread has been tremendously helpful with tips and advice regarding planning, and I appreciate that!

Hows training going for everyone?

I did 8 miles on Saturday. The last mile was rough but it got done. Planning on no long run this weekend as we're camping. Trying to map out my last long runs before RnR SJ. I've got 6 weekends before the race, but we're out of town for half of them so I only have 3 to work with really. As long as I get a 10 miler in before the half I'll be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter