Official 2017 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (Jan 12th - 15th, 2017)

My Yoda shirt is a serious success. I wore the other shirt and I am not so wild about it, but it is fine. Hopefully they will launder fine though they are both large enough that they can shrink and I would be OK. I did not realize that the back of each shirt is solid black. But that makes it easy to get black and very re-usable bottoms! I might put a little phrase on the back of each shirt if I get clever and crafty.

I'm also nonstop right now. Ran my first of four fall halves last weekend. Next is next weekend. Last fall half is Wine & Dine. Then pick up the Rebel Challenge program, then Dark Side. Then I might take a break before starting up for the fall halves again...maybe...

Soemone posted this on the Disneyland board so I thought I'd share it here as well in case it works for someone! I checked my SW travel dates that they had them!

Jet Blue has a sale starting today for flights $39 each way from Sac to Long Beach. It runs 10/1-1/31, M-Th and Sat flights, with blockout days during the holidays.

Soemone posted this on the Disneyland board so I thought I'd share it here as well in case it works for someone! I checked my SW travel dates that they had them!

Jet Blue has a sale starting today for flights $39 each way from Sac to Long Beach. It runs 10/1-1/31, M-Th and Sat flights, with blockout days during the holidays.
Thank you!!

I am flip flopping between just registering for the half or getting a Rebel challenge bib via one of the travel companies. Didn't register at race opening because I wasn't going to be in town. And now I am.

I am flip flopping between just registering for the half or getting a Rebel challenge bib via one of the travel companies. Didn't register at race opening because I wasn't going to be in town. And now I am.

Do the rebel challenge!!!!

Unless you've never run a 1/2 before, I also recommend the Rebel Challenge. The 10K is a very different kind of race experience. Because it's much shorter, almost the entire race is on Disney property unlike the 1/2. In part because of that factor, the mile markers for the 10K are unique and themed to different planets from Star Wars. The 1/2 mile markers are all the same. They still look nice, but are a bit of a disappointment after the 10K mile markers. And if you're a Star Wars fan, the medals are reason enough.

Because of the physical exertion necessary to complete the Rebel Challenge, I have found that crossing the finish line at the end of the Rebel Challenge to be more emotional than crossing the finish line for the 1/2. Now I better understand why people talk about the marathon as such a unique running experience. Not that I'm planning to run one anytime soon.

The only reason I do not recommend running a challenge element as part of a first ever 1/2 is because of the strategy for successfully finishing a challenge event. At least for me, I needed the experience of knowing how to properly run a 1/2 before attempting to run a 10K and a 1/2 on consecutive days. I started my first 1/2 questioning if I was even capable of finishing despite putting sufficient training in. I went into my first Rebel Challenge wondering how the races would go, but confident that I would be successful.

Booked our airfare yesterday and our car reservation! (We only have 3 days of tickets despite a week long trip - we're planning on doing the Warner Brothers studio tour after the 10K & Universal Hollywood on Monday post races)

Now just to book those things and figure out what we're going to do post half.

Ran a humid rough 10K yesterday. 1:19:17. Really strong time considering the heat though it was quite flat. My next 10K is 10/8. Then I thought I'd do one more on 10/23.

Ran a humid rough 10K yesterday. 1:19:17. Really strong time considering the heat though it was quite flat. My next 10K is 10/8. Then I thought I'd do one more on 10/23.
Nice job! Good luck at the next two!
Does anyone remember the date to submit POT?

I'm excited about the rebel challenge. I ran dark side half last year and am now hooked on rad races! I'll be doing rebel challenge, dark side challenge+5k, and trying to get friends together for wine&dine 2017 (or Paris).

My big dilemma will be training while on cruise during Christmas (my peak training week!).

So I ran for the first time in a few weeks yesterday. Did 4 miles and it went a little better than I expected after taking some time off. I have a long 5k this weekend (it's actually about 3.7 miles) at an Octoberfest event. I was just looking at the training schedule and I am supposed to run 13 miles while I am in Disney World the week after Thanksgiving. Hmmm. That's an awful lot of loops around POR!

I saw a preview of the medals on my FB feed this morning! I can't figure out how to link to them. It actually was posted by "Star Wars" not runDisney.

The themes are as follows:
Kids:R2-D2
5k:Yoda
10k:BB8
1/2:Han & Leia

DH & I are only running the 10k. We (okay, I) considered dressing up as Leia (and hopefully Han) . Now may have to reconsider.

Last edited:
14448865_1273937989324466_318540217479063977_n.jpg

14479640_1273937992657799_6958366731358889888_n.jpg

14492320_1273937985991133_1325764235177019588_n.jpg

14516571_1273938029324462_6307893387037383715_n.jpg

IMG_7658.JPG

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter