Norway Cruise (+Iceland/Copenhagen/Dover) TIPS (consolidated)

How reputable is Norgwegian Air?

There are issues with "flying rights." That is the term that I have seen used in a news article. I really don't have a good firm hold on the situation yet. I don't normally fly international. I am trying to see if it is still an issue or if it was resolved and exactly what it means.

I am seeing some customer service issues, but it tends to lead back to some issues that they are working out on the new dream liners.

I would love to know how they are viewed over in in Europe.

ETA: Thanks so much for this thread. I really appreciate all the info that is being provided. I just remember hearing the name of this airline and want to make sure before I use them for international flight with my children.

ETA: Here a link to an article that seems to explain some about this airline. I guess it is trying to be a low cost international carrier and stepping on some toes? http://time.com/7604/an-ultra-cheap-anti-union-upstart-airline-could-transform-flying/

I have used them many times in Europe and has always been satisfied. They have a lot of new planes, not the old ones like a lot of other low price companies. BUT like you said there are some problems with the "rights" on the flights to the States. I'm sure they are working on it because it's been all over the News a few times.
Would I book them to the States now? No probably not. I would be afraid that my flight would get canceled. I can't find any news on this, so I guess there are still using the temporary approval.
I normally use Iceland Air (NOT Iceland Express!!!) They are really good, cheap and the stop over in Iceland is very easy because the airport is very small. I have also used SAS but they are expensive and they tend to mess up the transit times. Going to LA in Dec we used Air France. They have this really nice plane where you feel like you are on first class.

While we don't know exact docking place yet, (and the 2015 file on the Copenhagen website has reverted back to an older version), prior info suggests that the Magic will be docking in the new cruise terminal, "Oceankaj" which is berths c330-c334.. which is not close to the other piers...

I will try to update info as we get it:

Here's what I have from before:

15/06/28 08:00 15/06/28 18:00 MSC Musica Oceankaj Maersk Broker Agency K/S TA
15/06/29 06:00 15/06/29 17:00 Disney Magic Oceankaj TR Shipping Denmark ApS TA
15/06/30 08:00 15/06/30 17:00 Caribbean Princess Oceankaj Maersk Broker Agency K/S Poc

Copenhagen port wiki: http://cruiseportwiki.com/Copenhagen "Oceankaj" is piers c330-c334 which is a little far off:

Another fun thing to do whilst in Copenhagen is to take a flight to Billund and visit the original LEGOland. It's pretty spectacular! You can fly there in the morning, walk to LEGOland (it's a ~20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride) and fly back to Copenhagen at the end of the day.

Another fun thing to do whilst in Copenhagen is to take a flight to Billund and visit the original LEGOland. It's pretty spectacular! You can fly there in the morning, walk to LEGOland (it's a ~2 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride) and fly back to Copenhagen at the end of the day.

That would be great if you are or have kids into Legos.

We did the Disney Northern European Capitals (Baltic) with Helsinki cruise in 2010 and I made a word document at the time that was a cut and paste from the Disney site, including details and prices etc, for the excursions that interested my family. It is very large, as in a 33 page document. Specific to this thread, it includes some options that Disney offered for Oslo and Copenhagen, however I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be doing B2B cruises so it may have a wider appeal.

Is there any where /way to upload it on this site? I warn you in advance that I am not a techie kind of person, but since it would probably be useful for planning purposes, I would be willing to try if there is any interest.

We did the Disney Northern European Capitals (Baltic) with Helsinki cruise in 2010 and I made a word document at the time that was a cut and paste from the Disney site, including details and prices etc, for the excursions that interested my family. It is very large, as in a 33 page document. Specific to this thread, it includes some options that Disney offered for Oslo and Copenhagen, however I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be doing B2B cruises so it may have a wider appeal.

Is there any where /way to upload it on this site? I warn you in advance that I am not a techie kind of person, but since it would probably be useful for planning purposes, I would be willing to try if there is any interest.

I think that would be awesome and useful to people! :thumbsup2

Thanks,
Heather

Another fun thing to do whilst in Copenhagen is to take a flight to Billund and visit the original LEGOland. It's pretty spectacular! You can fly there in the morning, walk to LEGOland (it's a ~20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride) and fly back to Copenhagen at the end of the day.

Does anyone know if it's much different than Legoland here in the states? At least here Legoland Florida and Legoland California are almost the same (just a few different rides).

Does anyone know if it's much different than Legoland here in the states? At least here Legoland Florida and Legoland California are almost the same (just a few different rides).

I haven't been to Legoland in the States, but I have seen lots of pictures and it doesn't look at all like the one in Denmark.

I have not been to LEGOland in California or Florida, but looking at photos, the ones in America look similar to Billund in some aspects and different in others. The park in Denmark is set in a more natural park/outdoor setting, with models set in trees and on hills that you walk by. These also seems to be more models throughout the park in Denmark, but it is difficult to tell because most photos of the American LEGOlands are of the attractions/rides. Some of the attractions look similar: kids' driving school, boat ride, train ride, water splash ride, small roller coasters, etc. I don't know much about theming similarities or differences though.

LEGO Billund also has Power Builder, a fun 'create-your-own roller coaster' type ride which is geared towards older kids and adults. Kind of like the one they have at EPCOT, but with more options and wilder combinations.

I guess you can compare park maps and websites and decide for yourself and your family. We, as adults without kids, enjoyed it for a full day.

Who says that? Not being snarky, just asking. I've never flown International.

My mother in law says 9-12 months out, and a lady I work with from England said to start looking 1 year out.

This Norwegian Airlines is pretty attractive to me....the reviews were mostly at the airports when checking in, not many complaints in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

As a seasoned Transfer Atlantic flyer I would say your MIL is spot on, you do not buy fares on release but soon after, a number of Airlines have now merged there is less capacity the fares are going up, BA and Virgin for example do have sales, but as the flights fill up, the same as DCL the prices per seat go up.

If you need go have set dates for a cruise you cannot book too late,

so not on release, let them fall a bit then book, and do not leave it too late, maybe January is a good times with sales on.

I have not been to LEGOland in California or Florida, but looking at photos, the ones in America look similar to Billund in some aspects and different in others. The park in Denmark is set in a more natural park/outdoor setting, with models set in trees and on hills that you walk by. These also seems to be more models throughout the park in Denmark, but it is difficult to tell because most photos of the American LEGOlands are of the attractions/rides. Some of the attractions look similar: kids' driving school, boat ride, train ride, water splash ride, small roller coasters, etc. I don't know much about theming similarities or differences though.

LEGO Billund also has Power Builder, a fun 'create-your-own roller coaster' type ride which is geared towards older kids and adults. Kind of like the one they have at EPCOT, but with more options and wilder combinations.

I guess you can compare park maps and websites and decide for yourself and your family. We, as adults without kids, enjoyed it for a full day.

The parks here have the "miniland" too with all the models. I'm sure they're different models there. When I looked it seemed fairly similar (except more pirate stuff instead of Chima). We hadn't planned on going because it was so far out of Copenhagen and it looked similar, but wanted to make sure we weren't going to miss something great while the kids are still little - it's just way easier to go to the one in California for us (dh and oldest ds have been to that one, all of us have been to the one in Florida).

With respect to Legoland I personally would never spend a day flying from Copenhagen to Billund to see Legoland Billund if I only had a few days to spend in Copenhagen. Simply too much hassle - and too much to miss in Copenhagen. But that of course is just my opinion. If staying in the city center of Copenhagen you would have to make your way to Copenhagen Airport, check in to your plane, wait, fly for 30 min. and then transport yourself from Billund Airport to Legoland. Although Legoland i right next to the airport in Billund the entrance to Legoland is not just a 2 min walk from the airport. My guess is most people would need some sort of transportation (bus, taxi etc).

We have visited Legoland Billund, Carlsbad (and Windsor, UK for that matter). The basic concept is (of course) the same. The miniland in Denmark is more focused on Danish landmarks although a couple of international ones have made it to Billund as well.

So all in all my recommendation would be to stay in Copenhagen and visit Tivoli Gardens. That is a truely unique experience only to be found in Copenhagen, whereas Legoland Billund is relatively close to the experience that can be found elsewhere.

I'm not a local to Copenhagen, but I visited two years ago. :) Spent a long weekend there. We rented an apartment near Tivoli Gardens.

For a one day visit, I would recommend visiting Amalienborg, Christiansborg, and sitting out at one of the restaurants at Nyhavn on a sunny day! And Tivoli in the evening. The marble church is beautiful too. We walked everywhere in Copenhagen and did not use public transport once, so I have no tips for that as a tourist!

If you have more than one day, and are happy to use public transport to venture out of the city, I loved visiting Elsinore and Hillerod more than visiting Copenhagen. Elsinore is where the castle where Hamlet was based is located (Kronborg castle) and is a quaint little town. Hillerod is home to Frederiksborg castle which is just spectacular inside. Highly would recommend either of these towns to visit! It is possible to do them both in one day as long as you schedule your day well.

If anyone needs information about Elsinore feel free to ask. I live there with my family.

It is very easy to get to Elsinore by train. It takes about 45 minutes and the trains are comfortable.

From the trainstation it is an easy 10 minutes walk to the castle along the waterfront and past the new Maritime museum. The historic center with shops, places to eat and historic houses - some build before Columbus even set sail for America is right next to the train station too.

jenrin said:
With respect to Legoland I personally would never spend a day flying from Copenhagen to Billund to see Legoland Billund if I only had a few days to spend in Copenhagen. Simply too much hassle - and too much to miss in Copenhagen. But that of course is just my opinion. If staying in the city center of Copenhagen you would have to make your way to Copenhagen Airport, check in to your plane, wait, fly for 30 min. and then transport yourself from Billund Airport to Legoland. Although Legoland i right next to the airport in Billund the entrance to Legoland is not just a 2 min walk from the airport. My guess is most people would need some sort of transportation (bus, taxi etc).

We have visited Legoland Billund, Carlsbad (and Windsor, UK for that matter). The basic concept is (of course) the same. The miniland in Denmark is more focused on Danish landmarks although a couple of international ones have made it to Billund as well.

So all in all my recommendation would be to stay in Copenhagen and visit Tivoli Gardens. That is a truely unique experience only to be found in Copenhagen, whereas Legoland Billund is relatively close to the experience that can be found elsewhere.

Thank you, that is really helpful. We enjoyed LL Florida, but we were done and ready to go before closing ( and they were only open 10-5). I'd hate to travel that far too find out it wasn't worth the time!

... as some of the people on the 11d already know, the Magic has been moved from the Faroe Islands to instead stop at Kirkwall, Scotland..

Therefore, I've added a link to Kirkwall and updated a few things

I do find it interesting that they switched it a month after announcing it...

nanaguide said:
I'm sure they will get it all worked out by next Summer but since I'm flying to Amsterdam in August to do a 28 day cruise on Holland (didn't think Disney would ever do one) I was looking for a flight. I oh most bought a ticket on Norweigan as they were flying the new Dreamliners, their prices were so much cheaper but then I started doing some checking. They have pretty bad customer reviews - that bothered me. Right now they are trying to get landing privileges here at Orlando but the Airline Pilots Association is fighting them. They don't think their pilots are trained as well - they are not European pilots. Their license I believe is out of Ireland not even Europe so I decided I'd bit the bullet, pay more for my ticket and fly KLM/Delta - KLM is rated high for International carriers. I've been spooked ever since that Malaysian jet went missing.

Having said all that - a year from now if Disney still has EBTA openings I might decide to go again I'd probably fly Norweigan if the customer reviews have improved and they obtain landing rights here in Orlando. They say you should buy your flight tickets for International flights 150 days out - no more/no less so all of you have plenty of time to decide.

I too would again like to say thanks for this thread. It is a big help to me in planning my cruise for this Summer. I'm going Holland because we go to 21 ports but my heart will always belong to Disney Cruise Lines. Good luck to all of you!

I live in Ireland..... and last time I checked we were still in Europe!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter